Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:47 AM   #1
chixwithtrix
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
chixwithtrix is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
SR Starting and power problems *with video*

I posted on another forum and there seems to be mixed opinions...here is the first problem:

A friend of mine has been having power trouble after we put on a stock turbo on the SR20. Looks like the SR20DET my friend thought he got with the car is actually a SR20DE - as diagnosed by the guys on the other forum. So the seller lied to him and said that the turbo was off the car because he couldn't afford the IC, etc. He was under the assumption it was a DET swap with everything needed...that looks not to be the case...?

What is happening now that we got a boost gauge in it:
-up to 3-4,000 RPM the power feels normal for turbo car
-after that it feels like it looses power and there is a strange vibration/resonation
-Boosts to 6-7 PSI

Setup:
-S13
-SR20de (t?)
-Ebay intercooler, no BOV
-Ebay downpipe
-HKS exhaust
-Catco cat

Here is the video - you can see the boost and hear the odd noise http://www.rc-tvproductions.com/powerprobs.wmv

So what is happening?

Ok, on to the next problem-

This has been going on since about a month ago after we relocated the battery to the hatch. We have not had a chance to address yet - the car will not start most of the time.
-the battery is not dead and the cable is large enough to turn turn over the engine fine when it does decide to start
-the engine will prime
-go to turn the ignition on and nothing happens, no turn over, there is one small click right when it gets electricity, but otherwise no sound.
-it will start about once every 10-20 tries. Do not know why it is different then, we just go to start it like normal and it will fire no hesitation.
-don't know if this correlates to anything, but it will usually start after we jack the car up by the diff and let it back down after we finish working.

We figure it has to be something like a relay or something wrong with the ignition itself...but other than that we have no idea....

Any constructive help would be greatly appreciated. I'm not very familiar with SR20s as my 240 is KA powered, and I have the task of finding all of the info for my buddy who doesn't know a lot about cars...thanks
chixwithtrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2008, 04:54 PM   #2
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (46)
KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 46 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by chixwithtrix View Post

Ok, on to the next problem-

This has been going on since about a month ago after we relocated the battery to the hatch. We have not had a chance to address yet - the car will not start most of the time.
-the battery is not dead and the cable is large enough to turn turn over the engine fine when it does decide to start
-the engine will prime
-go to turn the ignition on and nothing happens, no turn over, there is one small click right when it gets electricity, but otherwise no sound.
-it will start about once every 10-20 tries. Do not know why it is different then, we just go to start it like normal and it will fire no hesitation.
-don't know if this correlates to anything, but it will usually start after we jack the car up by the diff and let it back down after we finish working.

We figure it has to be something like a relay or something wrong with the ignition itself...but other than that we have no idea....

Any constructive help would be greatly appreciated. I'm not very familiar with SR20s as my 240 is KA powered, and I have the task of finding all of the info for my buddy who doesn't know a lot about cars...thanks
This is most likely your clutch safety switch not being pressed down all the way OR the black/yellow stripe single starter wire (for the ignition) on the starter is not on there tight enough, they tend to get loose and fall off.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:09 PM   #3
chixwithtrix
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
chixwithtrix is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
yeah, we actually looked at the starting problem for the first time today and it was the clutch switch...no biggie there at least. Thanks
chixwithtrix is offline   Reply With Quote