Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:44 PM   #1
jc91

Trader Rating: (0)
jc91 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
sr20det wont start anymore

So I just finished my 3rd sr swap about a week ago and it used to be that it would only run if I jumped it (had too small and too weak of a battery, have a much bigger one now though) but now, even with the new battery, all it will do is crank and not fire. Also, I took out the #1 coilpack and tried arching the sparkplug off the block and it would arch every 1/50 times the engine cranked over which would cause it to start with starter spray in the intake manifold. I have heard that none of the other coil packs will fire unless the first one fires first so do I maybe have a dying coilpack thats not letting the other coilpacks fire as well?

I have tried reseting the ignition timing and Im currently going over all of my wiring again. Also, the engine doesn't even try to start at all, just crank. Any advice would be much appreciated
jc91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2011, 04:16 PM   #2
jc91

Update

So that last post was kinda a noob question, sorry about that haha.

After troubleshooting a little bit more, I realized this was most likely the cam angle sensor. So I tested the harness plug to make sure it was getting 12v and that the grounds were good, and everything checked out. Then I tried rotating the CAS gear to see it the injectors and coilpacks would fire, with the ignition on of course, and nothing happened. An hour later I tried it again but this time everything was working and after reseting the timing (without unpluging the cas) it started right up and it ran fine. I then turned off the car and tried to rotate the gear on the cas again and nothing would work.

To me this looks like the cas is intermittently working and its just slowing going bad. Does this sound normal for a cas when going bad? Or do they just all of a sudden stop working?
Old 02-19-2011, 01:09 PM   #3
jc91

Update 2

So i tried a new CAS and nothing, i also opened up the ecu and it doesnt look fried or anything but it doesnt look good, the only things that send signals to both the injectors and the coilpacks, that i can think of, are the ecu and the CAS correct? Also, just incase anyone is wondering, i did check the resistance through the wires from the CAS plug back to the ECU plug and its perfect.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:30 AM   #4
jc91

If anyone is having this same problem, I figured it out. Link to an actually helpful thread with the fix --> Injectors and coilpacks not firing HELP - Northwest Nissans