Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:38 PM   #1
Lej

Trader Rating: (0)
Lej is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I cut all the way through my engine bay harness with a cutoff wheel.

I'm looking to relocate my 2 engine bay fuse/relay boxes into the cabin somewhere (or possibly inside) of the glove box compartment. I made one huge cut in the middle of the harness at the front of the car (inbetween the head lights) and 2 more cuts to free the fuse boxes from their jail of the engine bay.

I brought the whole loom inside the cabin where I was going to begin the process of soldering/shrink tubing and rewrapping the harness, but I ran into the issue of some of the wires being DUPLICATES. For example - After my cut, one side of the cut may have THREE all pink wires, with the same number of hash marks. Or an all black wire with a red stripe. TWICE. ...... Now SOME of them are different gauges, so I can match them up, but the others - I'm clueless. I realize I could trace them down to the interior kick panel fuse box, and see where they go and try to use an ohm meter and figure it all out.,,

Does anyone have any diagrams that could help with this? Or a little insight on it?

Lej is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2015, 01:49 PM   #2
zombiewolf513
BANNED

Trader Rating: (6)
zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Start with the obvious ones, the multiples run back and forth, so for those you could likely find in the FSM diagrams, but you'll probably have to trace some anyway to see where they go.
zombiewolf513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 02:45 PM   #3
roboticnissan
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (12)
roboticnissan is making a name for him/her selfroboticnissan is making a name for him/her selfroboticnissan is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
sweet jesus all that stuff unplugs and comes throught the fire wall then you just plug it all back in under the dash!!!!
Old 09-23-2015, 02:55 PM   #4
andisan
Nissanaholic!

andisan is not welcome here anymoreandisan is not welcome here anymoreandisan is not welcome here anymoreandisan is not welcome here anymoreandisan is not welcome here anymoreandisan is not welcome here anymoreandisan is not welcome here anymoreandisan is not welcome here anymoreandisan is not welcome here anymoreandisan is not welcome here anymore
Wow that was ballsy, I would of labeled all the wires before cutting them, with at least numbers
Old 09-23-2015, 03:15 PM   #5
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
KAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
HAHAHAHA
Damn sorry but if that was your best idea for beginning to tackle this project buy a new harness. Strip it outside of the car, delete what you don't need re-loom it and send all the shit where you want it to go.
Did you not even google "S13 fusebox relocation/tuck" before deciding chopping your wiring harness into pieces was the best solution?

I must be a white girl cause i can't even right now.
Old 09-23-2015, 05:43 PM   #6
kruked
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (37)
kruked is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
Oh em gee!!
Old 09-23-2015, 05:49 PM   #7
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
You're not alone: http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=593678
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 06:06 PM   #8
rawgarage
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (75)
rawgarage is making a name for him/her selfrawgarage is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 75 reviews
I have a harness you can buy.... Text me 9792366891
rawgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 06:58 PM   #9
CrazyTrance
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
CrazyTrance is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Oh my fuckinggod. hit up that guy^^^^

Lmao
Old 09-23-2015, 08:43 PM   #10
Mofuhcka
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (2)
Mofuhcka is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Stupid is as stupid does
Old 09-23-2015, 09:38 PM   #11
MilkMan1218

MilkMan1218 is an unknown quantity at this point
I am the person who owns the car, and yes hindsight I should have labeled the wires. I also know that with no auto knowledge I rebuilt my rb20 from nuts and bolts and it runs beautifully. I'm sure I can fix this up, it'll just take longer than usual. But hey, the least I can say is I've definitely learned of better ways to do this. Those who say I need a new harness are afraid of challenges, I live for them.
MilkMan1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 09:42 PM   #12
zombiewolf513
BANNED

zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513
Working with a fresh harness is a challenge in itself.

Took me about 6 weeks to rewire the whole car right without pulling my hair out by working on it non-stop

Document and label EVERYTHING
Old 09-23-2015, 10:17 PM   #13
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

KAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkMan1218 View Post
I am the person who owns the car, and yes hindsight I should have labeled the wires. I also know that with no auto knowledge I rebuilt my rb20 from nuts and bolts and it runs beautifully. I'm sure I can fix this up, it'll just take longer than usual. But hey, the least I can say is I've definitely learned of better ways to do this. Those who say I need a new harness are afraid of challenges, I live for them.

No we just understand the valuation of time. If you value your time at say any price above $1 you would quickly understand that buying a new harness is the better route. Plus after you solder all of those connections back together which you said the harness is in 3 or 4 sections?.... times the number of wires in the harness which i just going to guess is over 50? So 200 or so amateurly done solder joints that will probably break as you man handle everything to where it needs to go. So even if by some magical stroke of luck that you accurately mapped the ENTIRE harness for the car it still probably wont work... And if we take the more likely scenario that you did not dead on nail the schematic across 3-4 bridges you fry stuff.
Anyone that can read and has a set of tools can put an engine together and have it run if its been machined properly and no corners were cut. I've done it, many have. But wiring on this scale is a whole nother animal. IMO more complex than building an engine.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:21 PM   #14
andisan
Nissanaholic!

andisan is not welcome here anymoreandisan is not welcome here anymoreandisan is not welcome here anymoreandisan is not welcome here anymoreandisan is not welcome here anymoreandisan is not welcome here anymoreandisan is not welcome here anymoreandisan is not welcome here anymoreandisan is not welcome here anymoreandisan is not welcome here anymore
I'm sure it would be easier to just buy a whole new harness, there is a lot of people selling them anyways, body and engine
Old 09-23-2015, 10:45 PM   #15
Johny5
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
Johny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Johny5
Kyskyskyskys
Old 09-23-2015, 11:00 PM   #16
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (46)
KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 46 reviews
This type of wiring job is for expert level 100. Since you decided to cut the harness in this manner, you are clearly at level 1.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:00 PM   #17
s14gmo
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (29)
s14gmo will become famous soon enoughs14gmo will become famous soon enoughs14gmo will become famous soon enoughs14gmo will become famous soon enoughs14gmo will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Work smarter not harder! Just buy a new harness and go from there. Goodluck!
s14gmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 12:05 AM   #18
MilkMan1218

MilkMan1218 is an unknown quantity at this point
Well there are only 26 ish wires that are duplicates. After tracking them down they are mostly lights, signals, windows, windshield wipers, stuff like that. As for amateur soldering and man handling, it's pretty simple to solder a good connection, especially since it's basically welding with wires. As for the man handling, that won't be necessary since the dash and support bar is off. I'm not some barbarian going in slinging piles of solder on two coils and just throwing stuff around. Finally, it's not like I cut into the engine harness, it's a race car all I need are lights and a motor.
MilkMan1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 08:43 AM   #19
kunt_masha
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
kunt_masha is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Prp Tip: You can unplug and push the harness through the firewall in 30 minutes..
kunt_masha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 09:29 AM   #20
LockOn!
Zilvia FREAK!

LockOn! is making a name for him/her selfLockOn! is making a name for him/her selfLockOn! is making a name for him/her self
1. Throw in garbage
2. Replace with new harness the right way.

No way in hell you are going to get all the wires together correctly. Even if you do, every connection is another chance for failure in the future. Unless your a literal pro at soldering and sealing connections, this will fail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkMan1218 View Post
it's a race car all I need are lights and a motor.
This is the exact attitude that is ruining these cars and the reason the "doing it wrong" thread is a thing.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:31 AM   #21
kruked
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (37)
kruked is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunt_masha View Post
Prp Tip: You can unplug and push the harness through the firewall in 30 minutes..
This was already mentioned in post #3 if you would've read all of the post.

VV

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboticnissan View Post
sweet jesus all that stuff unplugs and comes throught the fire wall then you just plug it all back in under the dash!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LockOn! View Post

No way in hell you are going to get all the wires together correctly. Even if you do, every connection is another chance for failure in the future. Unless your a literal pro at soldering and sealing connections, this will fail.
It can be fixed, maybe not by him, but it can be done.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:58 AM   #22
slow40sx
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (3)
slow40sx has much to be proud ofslow40sx has much to be proud ofslow40sx has much to be proud ofslow40sx has much to be proud ofslow40sx has much to be proud ofslow40sx has much to be proud ofslow40sx has much to be proud ofslow40sx has much to be proud ofslow40sx has much to be proud ofslow40sx has much to be proud ofslow40sx has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slow40sx
yeah, definitely get a new harness, and in the future I would recommend searching before you touch anything, also maybe glance at it all before you start cutting things, the fuse boxes aren't in any jails, they are held in with bolts and they fit through the large cut outs in the bay and there is a large plug under the driver side that bolts together the front half of the car harness to the back half, a quick visual inspection could have told you that especially with the dash out of the car, so I would 100% get a new harness and go from there
Old 09-24-2015, 11:26 AM   #23
Lej

Hey guys, it's OP. So yeah, posted this for Milkman (the owner) .. I told him there was for sure a better way... seeing as the factory didn't have to reattach it in the middle to get it in there in the first place. And the fact that FULL uncut engine bay harnesses are for sale on Ebay.

I knew it was a stupid idea, BUT - my one question is ... How do you pull that white box through the firewall? (The one that is originally on the driver side in the kick panel attached to the fuse box.) Does it go through the side of the car and AROUND the firewall? Or is there actually a hole to pull it through?..

Pic for reference:

Old 09-24-2015, 11:38 AM   #24
zombiewolf513
BANNED

The SMJ goes out by the left wheel. it fits. it fits.
Old 09-24-2015, 11:47 AM   #25
Lej

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiewolf513 View Post
The SMJ goes out by the left wheel. it fits. it fits.
Cool - that makes good sense. Wish he would of done it that way! haha.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:04 PM   #26
Biggamehit
Zilvia Addict

Biggamehit will become famous soon enoughBiggamehit will become famous soon enoughBiggamehit will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Biggamehit Send a message via MSN to Biggamehit Send a message via Yahoo to Biggamehit
Wow.....

Sent from my 402SH using Tapatalk

Facebook: Pink Ranger Drift
Biggamehit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:44 AM   #27
gostrider
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
gostrider is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
I have one for sale 80$
Old 09-26-2015, 05:19 PM   #28
AzS13hatch
Leaky Injector

AzS13hatch is an unknown quantity at this point
I highly suggest not using solder on your harness. That is one of the worst things you can do in this situation if you plan on still using your cut up harness. Use non-insulated butt connectors and heat shrink over them. It is easier and much more reliable and long lasting.

Just for reference, this is what I'm talking about

http://www.maneywire.com/butt-connec...1462-l-en.html
AzS13hatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 11:59 PM   #29
Cpreston

Trader Rating: (1)
Cpreston is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzS13hatch View Post
I highly suggest not using solder on your harness. That is one of the worst things you can do in this situation if you plan on still using your cut up harness. Use non-insulated butt connectors and heat shrink over them. It is easier and much more reliable and long lasting.

Just for reference, this is what I'm talking about

http://www.maneywire.com/butt-connec...1462-l-en.html
That is misinformation big time. Absolutely nothing wrong with soldering your harness if you know what you're doing, and is in fact better than butt connectors.

Anyway, I recently had this same problem except I cut my engine bay harness in the driver side fender to relocate it into the engine bay. Like you, I just cut the harness assuming all the wires would be unique in one way or another (size, color, striped, dotted, etc.) and as you found out, they're not.

I labeled all the ones that were unique with numbers and letters. Doesn't matter what you label them as long as you label the corresponding wire the same.

For the rest of the wires, I looked at my service manual and located all of the connectors on one end of my harness and knew that all of those wires had to go to those connectors. So I would start hunting the wires, say I started with the pink wires, I just looked for pink wires going into connectors at that end of the wiring harness. Once I found what connector and pin the wire went, I looked through the wiring diagrams in my fsm for ones with that connector and that pin. Once I found the wire on the wiring diagram I obviously was able to see what the wire went to. Say I found the wire that went to the headlight motor, I would label that wire then go to the headlight motor, find the wire and then find the other end of it with my multimeter.

And for all the wires that are duplicates, you have to find all but the last one. If you have two Orange wires and you find out what one does, you don't need to know what the other one does because it'll be the only orange wire left.

Hope I didn't word that too confusing. And if you decided to buy a new harness instead I do not blame you at all but I'll leave this comment anyway incase someone else makes the same mistake
Cpreston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 02:10 AM   #30
AzS13hatch
Leaky Injector

AzS13hatch is an unknown quantity at this point
Read this
http://www.speedhunters.com/2015/09/...htmare-part-1/

I'm not an expert on wiring but I have done quite a bit of it. Feel free to take my word and let it go in one ear and out the other, I really don't mind. Just trying to give the advice from professionals as I have read it and comes from a highly trusted source. I started using solder a long time ago but have moved on to the connectors as they are much easier to work with and then I saw this article and was happy I did when making my chassis harness.
AzS13hatch is offline   Reply With Quote