Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 03-16-2008, 12:07 PM   #1
Joshkl
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
Joshkl is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Joshkl
Exclamation oxidation on my carbon fiber hood

there is a lot of oxidation on my carbon fiber hood. i dont know what is the best way to get it off. i applied Meguiars wax or polish i wasnt sure.
But that only worked for like 20 mins. Then it came back to it the oxidation form again.

Thanks.
Joshkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2008, 12:39 PM   #2
hustlervibes
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (0)
hustlervibes is close to perfectionhustlervibes is close to perfectionhustlervibes is close to perfectionhustlervibes is close to perfectionhustlervibes is close to perfectionhustlervibes is close to perfectionhustlervibes is close to perfectionhustlervibes is close to perfectionhustlervibes is close to perfectionhustlervibes is close to perfectionhustlervibes is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to hustlervibes
Reclear your hood, and wax it regularly to avoid more oxidation.
hustlervibes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 02:18 PM   #3
KA24DESOneThree
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
KA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Not a tech question, this should be in chat.

The epoxy got old and yellowed. You can try to buff off the oxidation, but you're probably going to have to paint your hood.
KA24DESOneThree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 02:23 PM   #4
coreansurfer
Zilvia FREAK!

coreansurfer is close to perfectioncoreansurfer is close to perfectioncoreansurfer is close to perfectioncoreansurfer is close to perfectioncoreansurfer is close to perfectioncoreansurfer is close to perfectioncoreansurfer is close to perfectioncoreansurfer is close to perfectioncoreansurfer is close to perfectioncoreansurfer is close to perfectioncoreansurfer is close to perfection
wet sand with 600 grit, get it nice and flat, and then respray with clear. 3-4 coats. then color sand and buff.
coreansurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 02:32 PM   #5
s14unimog
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (22)
s14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Send a message via AIM to s14unimog
^ what he said but x2 on the amount of coats. Look at EVERY SINGLE Evo wing, the same shit.

SHIFTlock_slide to side

d3m3rs0n: if i have a baby im naming it Brandons Fault Emerson
s14unimog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 04:08 PM   #6
s13speeddrft
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
s13speeddrft is a jewel in the roughs13speeddrft is a jewel in the roughs13speeddrft is a jewel in the roughs13speeddrft is a jewel in the roughs13speeddrft is a jewel in the roughs13speeddrft is a jewel in the roughs13speeddrft is a jewel in the roughs13speeddrft is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to s13speeddrft
yeah if the oxidation is not too bad like it was on my hood, you can either wetsand as previously mentioned or a good scrub with rubbing the polishing compound followed by a coat of wax should do the trick.

*Junkyard Scavenger*
s13speeddrft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 08:51 PM   #7
infinitexsound
Post Whore!

infinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond repute
+1 500 wet. and clear...
Old 03-25-2008, 02:06 PM   #8
SexPanda
Post Whore!

SexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to SexPanda Send a message via MSN to SexPanda
yeah cf hoods are bad about that. they dont have clearcoat actually, when you buy them. they have a gel coat. It oxidizes really freakin easy. Personally, my preference, paint it. CF is cool and all, but when 5-0 sees a cf hood they keep an eye on you.
SexPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 02:12 PM   #9
atutt
Zilvia Addict

atutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreansurfer View Post
wet sand with 600 grit, get it nice and flat, and then respray with clear. 3-4 coats. then color sand and buff.
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't colour sanding the same thing as wet sanding?
atutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 05:36 PM   #10
infinitexsound
Post Whore!

infinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond repute
color sanding usually refers to single stage paint... where a car is newly painted but has a orange peel look, what u do is take it down with 1000-1500 real quick and finish it off with 2000... and polish it with a cutting compound.... this is also refer'd as a cut & rubb.... this is also done to 3 stage paint where clear coat is used... so yeah ur right...