Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:56 PM   #1
1slow24d

Trader Rating: (0)
1slow24d is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SR Sr20 Rattle/backfiring Help !

I have a red top sr20det on my S13, and its making this rattling noise from the turbo side of the motor. It sounds like its coming from the turbo but i just replaced it for another t25 because the other one i had, had a lot of shaft play but it's still making the same rattle.

It rattles at start up idle, under slight load like around 2k, and when shutting the motor off. It just rattles randomly, but when in the bay listening it sounds like rattling. When at the rear near the exhaust it sounds like little backfiring.

I checked timing and rocker arms under the valve cover, everything was fine.
Checked all bolts around the turbo, and its not the heat shield because i took it off.
Cant seem to see anything loose.

I feel like its misfiring and backfiring but cant seem to find a cause of it.
Here's a video of a car a found that is doing the same exact thing that my car is doing.

http://www.youtube.com/v/n300hFFKliM?fs=1&hl=en_US
1slow24d is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2010, 02:25 AM   #2
KaminaSan
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (10)
KaminaSan is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slow24d View Post
I have a red top sr20det on my S13, and its making this rattling noise from the turbo side of the motor. It sounds like its coming from the turbo but i just replaced it for another t25 because the other one i had, had a lot of shaft play but it's still making the same rattle.

It rattles at start up idle, under slight load like around 2k, and when shutting the motor off. It just rattles randomly, but when in the bay listening it sounds like rattling. When at the rear near the exhaust it sounds like little backfiring.

I checked timing and rocker arms under the valve cover, everything was fine.
Checked all bolts around the turbo, and its not the heat shield because i took it off.
Cant seem to see anything loose.

I feel like its misfiring and backfiring but cant seem to find a cause of it.
Here's a video of a car a found that is doing the same exact thing that my car is doing.

http://www.youtube.com/v/n300hFFKliM?fs=1&hl=en_US
Get out of the car, rev it to 2-3k. If it's knock, you will hear it nice and loud in there.

I doubt it's that though, so I would guess that it is probably the sound of your downpipe/exhaust rubbing against the frame. THis happens to me at exactly 1500, and 3600 rpm. My downpipe hits my frame and it vibrates the car.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:56 PM   #3
1slow24d

Its not a knock because ive been driving it for a week and its been the same noise. Idk what it is. i gotta check everything again.

&& ill check the dp and see if thats it. thanks man

Any other suggestions?!
Old 12-06-2010, 09:53 PM   #4
1slow24d

someone help me out ! still have the problem going on. No metal shavings in oil or anything. motor runs the same as it has been before.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:56 PM   #5
Billiam151
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (8)
Billiam151 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Honestly it sounds like you are describing a heat shield rattling, there are a couple that could be doing it and since it is on the turbo side, where all the heat is I would bet it is a heat shield somewhere. I agree with Kaminasan downpipe or exhaust rubbing.. My money is on a heat shield. Have someone help you, and do what Kaminasan suggested, get out of the car and have someone rev it up for you til you isolate the problem...
Billiam151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:00 PM   #6
1slow24d

Its not the heat shield and not any loose bolts or the exhaust hitting anything i checked everything externally on the motor and its none of those things. But the noise sounds like its coming from the head/headgasket area near the back right side of the motor when facing the motor.

Could the valve guides be causing the noise?