Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-05-2008, 01:42 PM   #1
aNskY
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
aNskY is close to perfectionaNskY is close to perfectionaNskY is close to perfectionaNskY is close to perfectionaNskY is close to perfectionaNskY is close to perfectionaNskY is close to perfectionaNskY is close to perfectionaNskY is close to perfectionaNskY is close to perfectionaNskY is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to aNskY
help with timing / pfc

well, i blew up my last engine in a few hours because i suck at timing, and now im finishing up the new one and i cant get the damn thing timed for the life of me. first start attempts i had no start. fuel and spark, checked compression, had 50 on all 4. shit. i thought the tits inside the front cover would keep the gold link on the crank dot but i guess not. so i pulled the front cover and re-did timing from scratch. next start attempt... starts 1st try.. awesome.

just now i put a timing light on it and 15btd is about 2 inches off the mark. i have to pull 14 degrees of base timing out of the pfc and all of the cas to get it on the mark. what am i missing???? im 99.99999% sure my cam timing is dead on, i mean i had front cover off so all 3 dots were exposed at the same time, and the cas went in without a hitch lined up perfectly in the center.

i am pretty new to the pfc so im thinking theres something im missing, just cant figure out what. any help would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by aNskY; 07-05-2008 at 02:43 PM..
aNskY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2008, 02:29 PM   #2
McRussellPants
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (0)
McRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
you didn't set your CAS right.
McRussellPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 05:28 PM   #3
aNskY
Nissanaholic!

aNskY is close to perfectionaNskY is close to perfectionaNskY is close to perfectionaNskY is close to perfectionaNskY is close to perfectionaNskY is close to perfectionaNskY is close to perfectionaNskY is close to perfectionaNskY is close to perfectionaNskY is close to perfectionaNskY is close to perfection
just pulled valve cover, reset everything. it was 100%. same thing. 15btdc mark is 2" to the left of the mark. bad cas? bad timing light? and now i have a tapping from my head, off comes valve cover again

edit: couple lifters are squishy. i just bled them... cranking by hand 79bajillion times cause them to need to be bled? this sucks
Old 07-06-2008, 10:49 AM   #4
aNskY
Nissanaholic!

lol i am retarded

my map at idle was at like 32 degrees... back it off to 15 and its spot on the mark.

this of course was after i decided to triple check my cam timing, only to have a lifter go squishy, popped all that shit back off, re-bled lifter, now i am mint!!! finally. still waiting on rear 5 lug rotors before i can even go on a maiden voyage.
Old 07-06-2008, 03:52 PM   #5
sean350z
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
sean350z is a glorious beacon of lightsean350z is a glorious beacon of lightsean350z is a glorious beacon of lightsean350z is a glorious beacon of lightsean350z is a glorious beacon of lightsean350z is a glorious beacon of lightsean350z is a glorious beacon of lightsean350z is a glorious beacon of lightsean350z is a glorious beacon of lightsean350z is a glorious beacon of lightsean350z is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Depending on where your idle is on the map, once your SR gets up to temp the PFC should drop into base timing even if you have the timing in the map at 30. To double check everything I would reset that idle block to something like 20 and see what the PFC reads once warmed up. It should read 15 even though the block it's in is 20. Then once it's warm and the PFC reads 15, use your timing gun to restab the CAS to 15. Then you are golden.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:06 PM   #6
aNskY
Nissanaholic!

appreciate the help sean. it was warm (hot; 90+) when i was timing it, but i put every cell around the block i was in to 15 and watched map tracer to make sure it wasnt going off 15, then put the light on it, adjusted my cas accordingly, then put all my cells back where they were. sounds good right?
Old 07-07-2008, 05:25 PM   #7
sean350z
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
sean350z is a glorious beacon of lightsean350z is a glorious beacon of lightsean350z is a glorious beacon of lightsean350z is a glorious beacon of lightsean350z is a glorious beacon of lightsean350z is a glorious beacon of lightsean350z is a glorious beacon of lightsean350z is a glorious beacon of lightsean350z is a glorious beacon of lightsean350z is a glorious beacon of lightsean350z is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Should be fine...as long as the PFC displayed 15 timing when you set your cas you are good to rock with your cock out.