Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:18 AM   #1
Gjohnson7
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
Gjohnson7 has a spectacular aura aboutGjohnson7 has a spectacular aura aboutGjohnson7 has a spectacular aura aboutGjohnson7 has a spectacular aura aboutGjohnson7 has a spectacular aura aboutGjohnson7 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
S14 L33 build thread, because I snowed in and bored!

Alright well I've seen a lot of build threads here on Zilvia lately and I'm bored so I figured I would peice together a build thread. Just so you know up front, I'm on a budget with a wife and 3 kids so this isn't extravagant but I love it and its a total sleeper. The project started in June of 09.

June 29, 2009

Alright, here's the new ride. I picked it up a week ago for cheap from some small dealership that didn't know what they had. It had been sitting there for 4 years, needed a fuel pump and keys. Engine runs and has already been sold. (I just need to pull it)

L33 with 55k miles. Got it for $699 shipped with a 1 year warranty.

Kouki patiently waiting on Nissan row. Just need to finally sell the S13 Shell

Well, finally starting to make progress. Lot's of cleaning to do

Alright parts are starting to add up. Got my engine mounts in as well.

Finally found a T56. Picked up from a Salvage yard in AZ, has 55,000 miles and came with clutch and flywheel for $1385 shipped.

Some of the parts I've been picking up. Fuel setup.

Clutch Master cylinder

LSX Kouki Project, swap completed in Dec 09

Last edited by Gjohnson7; 02-28-2011 at 02:15 PM..
Gjohnson7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2011, 10:23 AM   #2
Gjohnson7
Zilvia Addict

Gjohnson7 has a spectacular aura aboutGjohnson7 has a spectacular aura aboutGjohnson7 has a spectacular aura aboutGjohnson7 has a spectacular aura aboutGjohnson7 has a spectacular aura aboutGjohnson7 has a spectacular aura about
I decided I didn't want to buy a kit, so I set off to start fabricating. All the work was done it my garage and I picked up a welder on craigslist and went to work.

I don't really have any other pics. Although this is the kit I used.

Still More Pics.

Clutch Pedal

GTO Oil pan

Notched crossmember

Time for test fittment.

Current shifter location. (Oh, it's not bolted down, just sitting on top, to get an idea.)

Also, installed Clutch pedal and master cylinder, swapped in Z06 Cam and Z06 Springs, replaced broken timing chain cover and installed new timing chain kit. Made engine mounts (Currently tacked up, needs to be welded completely)

Old chain and sprocket that were damaged. If you didn't notice the huge whole in the origianl timing chain cover.

Engine weighted in at roughly 530lbs, with T56, flywheel and clutch. No intake, vavle covers or accessories. Although the hoist balancer its self weight about another 20 - 30lbs.

Alright, finally got around to pulling the engine again and welding up the Crossmember. Also completed my Tranny mount.

Disclaimer: This is the 1st time I ever even attempted welding and I now have about couple hours of experience. (I have a lot of experience grinding out welds now!)

Old 02-01-2011, 10:24 AM   #3
Gjohnson7
Zilvia Addict

Tranny mount is not geometricaly correct, by any means. But it is functional and solid.

and installed

Old 02-01-2011, 10:28 AM   #4
Gjohnson7
Zilvia Addict

Just thought you guys might get a kick out of my big rig shifter.

Oh and how are you DBW guys mounting your gas pedal? I need some ideas or suggetions.

Still trying to figure out if I need to send my PCM off and convert to DBC. Apparently the Truck throttle unit is quite a bit taller than the car ones and I'm having issues with shutting my hood. I've already spaced the crossmember down some, may have to cut out some of the hood support. It actually will shut, but the hood is sitting on it and it doesn't allow for any movement from the engine at all.

Sept 9, 2009

Ok, well I know I've kind of left you guys hanging for awhile. So here's a quick update. I figured out my throttle issues and the car is running. I've been so busy lately with my anniversary and my kindergardner starting school and flag football, I haven't even had a chance yet the take the car it's first test drive. I'm still looking for a vacuum diagram for my L33 to make sure I'm setup properly, but everything else is hopefully in order.

I won't know fully if I have taken care of all the gremlins until I can get her down to the gas station and fill her up with 91 octane and then sea foam. My gas tank still has quite a bit of the 4 year old gas left in the bottom.

Oh, still need to modify the hood support to make sure I don't have any issues if the engine gets to tourqing. And I still need front 5 lug hubs so I can put my Z32's brakes on all four corners.

YouTube - 1997 LS14 Startup and Idle

Old 02-01-2011, 10:35 AM   #5
Gjohnson7
Zilvia Addict

Jan 18, 2010

I spent hours of time trying to figure out why my DBW throttle was not functioning. Had to swap PCM 3 or 4 times and rewire the harness. Only to find out that the junkyard I that shipped me my tac module and gas pedal lied and didn't pull the parts from the same vehicle. The parts were incompatiable and I has spent litteraly 4 months scratching my head and spinng my wheels.

So, I ditched the DBW, picked up a DBC throttle body and rewired my entire engine harness. Also, had to switch PCM's.

Well, I finally finished making my throttle cable and working through my wiring issues.

Also, Finally got a chance to take the car for a drive and fill up the gas tank and the car drove like crap! I've got some weird noise coming from the either the driveshaft or the Differential. (I can't imagine it could be the Tranny) I have no idea what the noise is or even how to pin point it. All I know is it seems to make the most noise when the vehicle is under load. If I shift to a higher gear and just coast it seems to go away. It also, seems to make the car jump and hesitate some time under load. Of course it seems to have gotten worse when I pulled back into my neighborhood, and now seems to make this sort of grinding/whining noise all the time.
I guess I may have to see if my neighbor can take a look at it tomorrow with me! Any ideas on where to look first? Since I've never driven this car before, I really have no idea of the condition of the Q45 diff, or the 5 lug hubs. Driveshaft is custom made, but who knows.

Oh, and the exhaust is just modified stock C5 manifolds, 3 inch y pipe, 3 inches out the back with a loud cheap Thrust muffler. Will probably swap to a Magnaflow when I get some more funds.

April 19, 2010

Ok, I have a few more updates. So, I figured out the Diff problem. Yeah, it was a lack of fluid. I guess that's what happens when you work on these projects for months.
Currently, I've been driving the car daily for a couple of months. Right now I'm trying to figure out how to integrate my A/C system before it starts hitting the hight 90's, as well as work throught some new O2 sensor issues.
My O2's were working great, until last week when I pulled a U turn and somehow my driverside O2 wire caught on to the steeringshaft and wrapped itself around it until the wires pulled apart where I spliced them in.
I have since, spliced them back in, but the driverside O2 sensor keeps throwing p0135. When it does that, the passengerside will throw p0155.
Right now, I'm waiting on O2 sensor pigtails from Efi Connection, so I can wire them up properly and see if it fixes my problem.

On to the pics.

A little of the interior cleaned up and some work that started on the quarter panel.
Also, have a small vid but don't have anything rolling without a second hand.

Oh, and I just decided I would pull the panel I made for the gauges out and paint it black for a different look. So that's why it's black in the video.

YouTube - Running S14 L33 swap. Part 2

I found a smoking deal on a set of wheels and tires on Craigslist so here are a couple of pics.

Stock 05 G35 coupe wheels, 17 x 7.5 front and 17 x 8 rear

Old 02-01-2011, 10:39 AM   #6
Gjohnson7
Zilvia Addict

Well after being on the street without any issues for many months. Tranny really started slipping so.....

October 7, 2010

Well, this is where I'm at now. Engine and tranny were pulled last week to replace the clutch, While the engine is out, I had plans to rewrap my engine harness and clean up the engine bay and fuse layout. Then my buddy came over and this happened...

I guess paint is coming sooner rather than later.

December 20, 2010

Well, here's a little update. I forgot to update this thread, so I'll copy and paste my updates from the other sites.

The Kouki has been at my buddies shop for a while now and we've been going at it when we have time, but I've spent 75% of all my time working on the rear quarter panel. The only way we could figure to get the fender back in shape was to either roll the fenders or go widebody. I decided to roll/pull the fenders.(figured I could go widebody later depending on how they turned out.) Also, beat on the quarter panels so long we had to torch them and rapidly cool them back down to shrink the metal. Had to cover it with a thin layer of bondo to, to smooth things out.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:42 AM   #7
Gjohnson7
Zilvia Addict

My buddy shooting.

Well, color is going on but I still need work. I haven't cleared yet because of all the trash that was getting picked up while shooting, so it looks like I will have to sand my base with 800 grit first, before I can clear. That and I ran out of paint. Painted everything but the front bumper.

On with the pics. Sorry, there from my blackberry.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:49 AM   #8
turbo2nr
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
turbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to turbo2nr
moar???

<3 lsx swaps is s-chassis!

looking pretty badass..

s14 kouki ka-t
turbo2nr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:52 AM   #9
Gjohnson7
Zilvia Addict

December 28, 2010

Alright, dusted the car then laid down clear coat. I'm loving the color so far. Sorry about the blackberry pics.

Getting closer. Trying to remember the wiring.

And I'm currently working on wet sanding and buffing. Below are some pics of the process, but you can also take note to my requarter panels which well both have to be resprayed when the temps warm up. Spraying in my buddies garage, when didn't adaquet light and you can tell really easy where the paint on the rear quarterpanels weren't covered properly resulting in light and dark spots. Still need to finish pulling off some of the tape and removing tint from my window. They will be retinted in the spring also.

The first few pics are when I was wetsanding, then a few after buffing with compound. I still have it anything with the swirl remover/glaze.

Of course it really shows up in sunlight, looks awesome in moonlight! Sucks!!!

Old 02-01-2011, 11:00 AM   #10
Gjohnson7
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo2nr View Post
moar???

<3 lsx swaps is s-chassis!

looking pretty badass..

Thanks man. Car is a blast to drive.

So currently, I'm still cutting and buffing the car. I rewrapped my engine harness and reworked my fuse box/relay layout so I trying to figure out the cleanest install.

I redid my fuel setup, flipped the fuel rail and ran a 14 ft an line from the fuel rail to the fuel filter which was relocated right above the fuel pump.

I still have Z32 brakes, but waiting for cash and parts to sell so I can pick up conversion lines, pads and rotors. Picked up 20mm spacers to help out the stance after the fender roll. Will hopefully be picking up some bigger wheels down the road.

A/C setup should be finished by spring.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:25 AM   #11
blueshark123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (55)
blueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 55 reviews
u should repaint the qp's and also gotten wheels before pulling or panting the car
blueshark123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:44 AM   #12
Gjohnson7
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshark123 View Post
u should repaint the qp's and also gotten wheels before pulling or panting the car
Yeah, idealy that would have been great, but I have other priorities. I already had the paint so I had to do what I could.

Like I posted above, the quarters will get repainted in spring.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:59 AM   #13
Edwin562
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
Edwin562 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
looks great
Edwin562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:01 PM   #14
RHD95S14
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
RHD95S14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Heyyy! I sold you the intake.. or some kinda part for that monster.

Looks fantastic man!
RHD95S14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:30 PM   #15
Gjohnson7
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHD95S14 View Post
Heyyy! I sold you the intake.. or some kinda part for that monster.

Looks fantastic man!
Hey man. Yeah I'm pretty sure it was the LS1 inake and the GTO oil pan or something.

Thanks, she's a work in progress.

Old 07-26-2011, 03:53 PM   #16
Gjohnson7
Zilvia Addict

A few more pics, with the new intake.

Old 07-28-2011, 04:54 AM   #17
kalypso123
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡

Trader Rating: (2)
kalypso123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
nice... get some 18 x 10 somethings

and slam.
kalypso123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:24 AM   #18
Jybfan04
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
Jybfan04 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Nice and clean kouki....
Jybfan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:19 PM   #19
koenig
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
koenig is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I cant get over how good that blue looks. Im loving it
koenig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:55 PM   #20
Gjohnson7
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalypso123 View Post
nice... get some 18 x 10 somethings

and slam.
Thanks man, just bought a set of Megan Street coils, so I'm getting there. Now I'll just be patiently waiting for them to show up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jybfan04 View Post
Nice and clean kouki....
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by koenig View Post
I cant get over how good that blue looks. Im loving it
Thanks, I love the blue too. Just need to reshoot, cut and buff.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:34 PM   #21
koenig
Leaky Injector

I have been waiting for the perfect blue to come along for me to paint my s13, I want to do the body dark blue, and the roof black. Do you know the name/color code for this blue?
Old 07-28-2011, 08:48 PM   #22
Gjohnson7
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by koenig View Post
I have been waiting for the perfect blue to come along for me to paint my s13, I want to do the body dark blue, and the roof black. Do you know the name/color code for this blue?
Interlargos Blue. It's a BMW metallic blue. Mine still needs to be cut and buff. Here are a few pics that inspired me.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:22 PM   #23
l2edken
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (14)
l2edken is a jewel in the roughl2edken is a jewel in the roughl2edken is a jewel in the roughl2edken is a jewel in the roughl2edken is a jewel in the roughl2edken is a jewel in the roughl2edken is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
nice job, cant wait to see this thing slammed with that nice roll. post a cruising vid when all said and done.
l2edken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:23 PM   #24
iLagX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (40)
iLagX is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 40 reviews
Send a message via AIM to iLagX
nice!! can't wait for you to put on some nice wheels and color sand.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:52 AM   #25
Tantwoforty
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (20)
Tantwoforty is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
oh shiz, i can get a l33 for free... i need to get on this.. lots of super useful info here..
Tantwoforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:41 AM   #26
Gjohnson7
Zilvia Addict

A free L33? I would defintely jump on that. Heck you could pick it up and sell it at the least.

Old 07-30-2011, 03:56 PM   #27
koenig
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gjohnson7 View Post
Interlargos Blue. It's a BMW metallic blue. [/IMG]
Thats actually kind of funny, I have been looking at "interlargos blue" for awhile now to paint my car, until I saw yours and I was like "damn, thats even better!!!" hahaha, now I know! It must be fate haha
Old 07-30-2011, 08:38 PM   #28
Tantwoforty
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (20)
Tantwoforty is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
well, my brother has one in his silverado, and wants the bigger one so he said if i do the swap for him i can have his current motor.. so freeish.. lol
i have a ka-t thats almost done, maybe i should sell the ka-t and fund the l33 swap lol
Tantwoforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:49 PM   #29
Gjohnson7
Zilvia Addict

Alright, yall know I'm on a budget, but I picked up a set of used Megan Street coils that just arrived today. Coils are suppose to have about 10k miles on them. I looked over everything and they seem to be in good condition. Then I went ahead and slapped them on. I installed them with the ride height they apparently were already set at, but it looks like I'm going to have to do some tweaking. Right now the front is sitting about a half inch lower than what I would like. I seem to do a little rubbing at full lock and also had a fun time 3 wheeling it coming into the driveway from the test drive.

I was in a big hurry getting them installed, because my garage door came off the tracks and was about to fall on the car. Had to get everthing back on the ground and out of the garage so I can start fixing on it.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:49 PM   #30
doriNIGHTS

Trader Rating: (0)
doriNIGHTS is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
wow car looks good, good job
doriNIGHTS is offline   Reply With Quote