Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 01-21-2016, 11:35 AM   #61
blades13.5
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
blades13.5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Pic of the bashbar and got everything all painted as well.

Old 01-21-2016, 01:54 PM   #62
blades13.5
Zilvia Junkie

99% of the way finished. Just welding up, the 02, wideband, oil and coolant temp sensors and oil pressure sensor. I'll upload pics of the interior tomorrow WHEN I DRIVE IT!!!!

Probably nearing the end of the year I'll get this all cleaned up, get a body kit and a fresh coat of paint throughout the chassis inside and out but for now, just making sure everything lines up, and is working 100%

Last edited by blades13.5; 01-21-2016 at 07:50 PM..
blades13.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 07:15 AM   #63
blades13.5
Zilvia Junkie

So yesterday was spent recirculating the BOV to the intake, doing all the oil line modifications to now run turbo, Putting together all the vaccine sources etc. The oil feed line would not fit the turbo since the turbo is off an airplane so after some time I found where to be getting the adapter. I'll be picking it up tomorrow it's only a few dollars, and is one of the last things needed before this thing gets tuned!!! Booyah!! Ohhh btw it was raining hella hard so the camera could of possibly taken better pictures but we were under a tarp/tent the all night.

The intercooler makes a really hand table for setting down your tools!

Old 01-24-2016, 07:12 AM   #64
blades13.5
Zilvia Junkie

So I got the car back from the Fab guy this evening. I found the fitting but need to rig weld it shut and drill a hole 6/100ths of an ince through the weld for a restricter to the turbo.

With nothing else standing in the ways got to cutting the hood, readjusting the seats, and just finishing up a some details before undergoing tuning.

Here's the pics of cutting the hood

And got it riveted it on well, making sure the cut cleared with the back of the intercooler.

Then got it towed to where it'll be tuned. (Couldn't drive it without the oil feed line adapter not being tigged for restriction and I didn't wanna rebuild a journal bearing turbo. (Had to take bumper off)

Once it arrived he spent hours doublechecking everything on the motor, looking at my mistakes or things I may have overlooked, then he depined my Fuse box for easier access.

Ran the intake pipe further forward to avoid dust, dirt, rain etc from the tire at full lock soaking and clogging the air filter. (Still using the BOV recirculating valve) it's just further down.

Tuning Starts tomorrow! (Nistune ECU and I'm still using the Zietronix I picked up years ago with the SR.) after that, wiring will be key!
Old 01-24-2016, 05:06 PM   #65
blades13.5
Zilvia Junkie

Pics from Caged in Caged Out. Excellent job! Can't express that enough! Here's there logo. Hit them up if your in California!

Thanks again David!!
Old 01-26-2016, 02:55 AM   #66
blades13.5
Zilvia Junkie

Beginning of fixing the wiring clusterfudgsicle. Looked like the consolt cables were crimped for some reason. :/ So new ones need to be soldiered in before we can start tuning the Nistune ECU. Nistune was also really cool as we lost the code for the software and last second, they came through for us and helped us access the software. +1 for Nistune.

Also thanks to David Maye for welding the oil feed line shut as a makeshift oil restricter. Part was near impossible to find locally. A new restricter is gonna be purchased but this will do the job for tuning. Yayaya!!!

Put some fluids in as well and slapped this awesome sticker on the swirl pot!

She may not be the prettiest right now, but she's almost there. No garage queen either.

Old 01-26-2016, 08:43 AM   #67
ehhhregartless
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
ehhhregartless is making a name for him/her selfehhhregartless is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I can appreciate the vision and the drive you have to realize your dream. Going v-mount is something I always wanted to do and yours looks pretty solid. It seems like you have good tech and fab support. Don't forget to add ducting to your cooling so it can actually work. I hope the exterior catches up too. I reached a similar stage where my chassis is fairly sound but interest and funding has been cut so my exterior reduces expectations. Good luck and keep it moving.

Here's some good visuals on ducting from Mannykiller

http://zilvia.net/f/showpost.php?p=5...&postcount=316
Old 02-16-2016, 01:44 AM   #68
blades13.5
Zilvia Junkie

Alright so prepping for the cars first time on the track we went over every nut and bolt on the car, filling the fluids, resoiliering some wiring, and some other minor things. The oil feed line we welded shut was destroyed when we tried drilling a hole through it, the drill bit broke, so I ended up ordering a new one. The parts store was closed that day but the owner (racing enthusiast himself, showed up at the shop, just so I could pick it up. Eventually we have up(temporarily) on tuning the Nistune ecu because no matter what we did, the ecu didn't seem to respond to the computer. Even restoring the computer and reinstalling (along with redoing all of the maps and checking the voltage wires on the chassis harness to make sure it was receiving signal didn't seem to help, so literally the night before the event, Jake picked up an SAFC to borrow to get the car up and running so we could Hoon. I also picked up a white bunny clutch setup to support the additional stress put on by doubling the cars power. Even at this moment it hasn't been installed but it's in the plans. Seats were installed. Harnesses were borrowed and we found a bunch of tires outside tire shops and were even given sets of decent tread tires by a few shops once I described what we were up to. Truck and trailer bailed out on us last minute so we found a truck and trailer literally the morning before leaving. (Grange motor circuit is about 5 hours away from where I'm living currently) so it was definitely a team effort. Anywho... Here's some more pics of that whole adventure!!!

White bunny 240mm Clutch and flywheel setup

Tuning was done at the track as we literally had just started the car to make sure the SAFC was readings properly and the car ran. Here's the vid of the first time the motor ever saw boost!!! (First try at starting too)

VIDEO:http://s65.photobucket.com/user/Srbu...nzhwe.mp4.html

On the way there out car trailer and truck spun out a full 180* on the highway. Fortunately there was no one there. The car didn't flip and we didn't hit anything.

Pics at the track:

Wanted to say thanks to everyone's support and talent on this build so far!!!!

And I bent the hood backwards in the vent so it was a smooth transition which I thinks looks better and it's not flopping around or in the way and less chance of cutting your hand.

Not even an hour after the tune was dialed in, the BOV somehow got stuck open when the car spun out sucking up dirt directly into the motor causing a knock... Which sucks major balls because these are forged internals. Of course I didn't really know the damage done until it got torn apart so here's was the breakdown of the motor.

Intake Off

Turbo manifold off.

Timing cover off

Head off

Pics of cylinders and bottom of the head

Spark plugs

So now I'm looking at pretty much rebuilding a different KA from scratch. For a short time I'll probably throw a stock KA in the car until a properly built motor is financed. Kinda sucks but every other piece of the puzzle is finally figured out. Another KA can be transplanted back into the turbo setup for the meantime even if it doesn't last forever, it buys me time!

Drift Video Memories... (When it was NA last summer)

VIDEO:http://s65.photobucket.com/user/Srbu...x7dwq.mp4.html

It'll only be a matter of time before its back out sliding again. Pics will be uploaded as I piece the car back together and rebuild a new motor!

Last edited by blades13.5; 02-19-2016 at 03:13 PM..
blades13.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:15 AM   #69
Jibbberish
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Jibbberish is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Major bad luck, never seen a bov get stuck open before. Lol how did you manage to spin the truck and trailer cruising on the freeway? That sounds like quite a moment.
Jibbberish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 12:44 AM   #70
blades13.5
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibbberish View Post
Major bad luck, never seen a bov get stuck open before. Lol how did you manage to spin the truck and trailer cruising on the freeway? That sounds like quite a moment.
The balance of the trailer was too rear heavy. This is with the car almost at the front of the trailer. We ended up driving the car onto some planks of wood and 2x4s so that the tube front would clear the trailer and so it could overhand the front edge of the trailer. Once all the weight was on the hitch, there was no issues.

I'm not saying that this is necessarily the way to fix the BOV situation, but as much as it sucks, if only the BOV was set to recirculating, I'd be driving a car right now... It's only a matter of time though. The car's been through worse and its not like its a MAJOR setback...like if the chassis were twisted or anything. Just gotta find another dual cam and put it all back together.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:01 AM   #71
coty_garcia
Leaky Injector

coty_garcia is an unknown quantity at this point
why stay KA?
coty_garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 04:56 PM   #72
blades13.5
Zilvia Junkie

Sr20's lack power, and especially torque, are too fragile and expensive to make the swap worth it, and I'm done with anything regarding SR's. Stupid engines they are. I'm thinking besides the fact that RB's and 1J/2Js probably wouldn't fit with the Vmount setup, RB parts are too hard to find, and need built rather extensively to be reliable, and 1J/2J trannies are too expensive to make the swap worth it.

KA's are capable of holding plenty of power and really impressive amounts of torque with a built bottom end which means less turbo lag. Especially when paired with the Vmount setup. They're cheap, easy to find/source, and besides, I already have the tune, white bunny clutch setup, and exhaust all bolt up now ready to go which means less down time, not to mention, I can use the old motor as a backup and can have pretty much 2 of everything in case any problems arise in the future. KA's are fantastic motors! The only thing I'll ever swap into the car for now on will be a KA or an Ls1 V8 possibly utilizing the Vmount as well if I boost it, but in all reality I don't have really any time or money to begin building one, and I've already been building this car for 7 years. I just wanna get some seat time and become a good driver, and you don't need too much power to do any of that.

The previous KA I just had was gonna be boosted at 22Lbs making 376 to the wheels on E85. I'll be doing a similar setup with the next build but with a twinscroll, a twin plate clutch. S2000 coil on plug, Map setup, And custom plenum. And this time I'll be hot tanking, powder coating, and polishing stuff so it'll atleast look like how it performs. It'll come with time though.
Old 02-28-2016, 04:16 PM   #73
blades13.5
Zilvia Junkie

Engine #4 lol:

Drove down to LA to go pick up a stock KA block. Came off a running S14. Head looked extremely clean and crank spun extremely easy. So easy in fact, you could spin it pretty easily with you hands turning the pulley.

Ended up moving yesterday for a new job so I had 3 days to assemble the new KA block and get it running. Here's the engine build.

Cleaned up the valvecover.

Painted a few engine components.

Picked up gaskets and new (colder plugs)
This gasket was by far the hardest one to pick up. Luckily, with less than a day left I was able to pick it up. (Even the dealership didn't have them)

Got the Whitebunny clutch, intake and exhaust manifold installed. Starting looking really good IMO!

Then put it in and installed everything. At present moment this car runs ABSOLUTELY FANTASTICALLY! It's such a joy to drive. The power is just wonderful, even though it's not like holy crap levels of power, it's definitely a great balance for the car and a blast to play with!

Dropping it in.

Meanwhile, Jake pulled apart the old block and took a look at the old rods and Pistons. Pistons obviously are toast, but the rods are more than likely reusable but he's gonna bring them by the machine shop to have them looked at to know for sure!

Old 02-28-2016, 07:02 PM   #74
Maximum
BANNED

Maximum is an unknown quantity at this point
lol, you have no luck at all do you.
Maximum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 12:38 AM   #75
blades13.5
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum View Post
lol, you have no luck at all do you.

Well atleast it's running now!!!
Old 02-29-2016, 10:17 PM   #76
Jibbberish
Leaky Injector

Jibbberish is an unknown quantity at this point
Quick turn around! Hope this one lasts. If not at least those rods look like they wanna party in engine #5.
Jibbberish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 07:42 AM   #77
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
there is a couch on your porch and car on your lawn
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 10:00 AM   #78
onevia drift
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (18)
onevia drift is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Man..... I'll tell you what..... this car has seen and been through some serious shit. Lol
Its inspirational nonetheless just because he had every reason to scrap the car and start a new build, multiple times. This car is fucking badass still. Just needs to get some funds together and actually FINISH THE GOD DAMN CAR !...
onevia drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 01:46 PM   #79
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
KAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
For the love of god clock the turbo
Old 09-15-2016, 01:30 AM   #80
blades13.5
Zilvia Junkie

Picked up a Z32 trans since his transmission is having issues with 2nd gear. And a second set of rebuilt and powdercoated calipers for a rear hydro brake setup and a replacement Drum brake setup with hubs.

Also picked up some Aerocatch patches to properly secure the hood.

KAT Plenum came off a 600HP KA.

Damn! I can't wait to install this!!

Some GKTech Dual Caliper Drop knuckles

And some ISR front and rear sway bars and steering column bushing. Stuff just waiting to be installed:

Old 09-15-2016, 06:33 AM   #81
zenkicpe
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
zenkicpe has much to be proud ofzenkicpe has much to be proud ofzenkicpe has much to be proud ofzenkicpe has much to be proud ofzenkicpe has much to be proud ofzenkicpe has much to be proud ofzenkicpe has much to be proud ofzenkicpe has much to be proud ofzenkicpe has much to be proud ofzenkicpe has much to be proud ofzenkicpe has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
1. You make your own luck, by being smart and doing it right the first time.
2. RS Enthalpy has nothing to do with your shit SR saga
3. My car dont run so buy a bunch of shit that has nothing to do with fixing the prob.
4. Wife>DriftLife
5. RIP rhs13
zenkicpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 11:24 AM   #82
blades13.5
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkicpe View Post
1. You make your own luck, by being smart and doing it right the first time.
2. RS Enthalpy has nothing to do with your shit SR saga
3. My car dont run so buy a bunch of shit that has nothing to do with fixing the prob.
4. Wife>DriftLife
5. RIP rhs13

Very true. Why all the hate though?! Srs are pretty shitty. RS's inability to reach back to me after being as polite as possible with them, after months is why I don't reccomend them to anybody. My car didn't run so I spent a ton of money having "reputable" shops like TFworks and we'll respected local engine builders rebuild that motor. In the meantime I bought more parts. ���� 4.Agreed. Shit happens though. RPS13* lol. Did you Car die?

Interiors gonna be powdercoated by the end of the year on a rotisserie after the last remaining fabwork is completed.I'' really short on time right now though, as my job has got me working a lot.
Old 09-15-2016, 01:30 PM   #83
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

KAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really nice
How do you duct air to the IC?

Seems like your design has air coming in the nose then going right out the vent.
Old 09-15-2016, 01:34 PM   #84
blades13.5
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAT-PWR View Post
How do you duct air to the IC?
I don't use any specific IC ducting. Hasn't needed it honestly. Driven it through traffic in 100+ temps. Taken long trips without any heat soak or overheating and didn't have any issues at Grange either with either motor.
Old 09-15-2016, 01:36 PM   #85
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

You were running with no bumper though? Not that it won't work, just looks like it is terribly inefficient
Old 09-15-2016, 02:18 PM   #86
blades13.5
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAT-PWR View Post
You were running with no bumper though? Not that it won't work, just looks like it is terribly inefficient
On the track yea. On the road, I had the bumper on. Don't get me wrong, I plan on doing it. This isn't my final setup though. I'' not 100% sure yet but I may have to swap out the intercooler but I'm first gonna make this one work with the new plenum and turbo setup.

I just like to reassure any potential Vmounters that so long as you have a large radiator, swirl pot and proper coolant routing, you shouldn't have any issues with overheating, with or without ducting. Too many people tried talking me out of doing it saying it was gonna overheat and cause heatsoak, etc.

I was playing around with some mockup ducting for size/figment and placement though. Including an IC shroud.

Old 10-27-2016, 11:48 AM   #87
blades13.5
Zilvia Junkie

Rear Suspension Revamp:

MB Battles

Rear PBM Swaybar end links.

GKTech RLCA's, 15mm Axle Spacers, and dual pot stainless hydro brake lines

Beginning of Installation:

Replaced the Ebrake assembly since the old one went bad:

Test Fit:

Final assembly:

Got some rubber on the wheels.

Old 01-07-2017, 11:55 PM   #88
blades13.5
Zilvia Junkie

So not a whole lot has happened since the last post. But I did get it back on 4 wheels and got a few new upgrades.

Picked up a custom LHD ATPerformance Oil Catch Can as well as all the AN lines and fittings to replace the Fuel lines, PS lines, and Oil cooler lines and catch can with some weld in bungs to finish the job. Also picked up a braided clutch line to clean up the engine bay. Only other lines that I'm looking forward to replace are the brake lines.

Old 02-02-2017, 09:21 AM   #89
jaalow1

jaalow1 is an unknown quantity at this point
sweet build man! keep at it
jaalow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 10:30 AM   #90
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Move the bov recirculation fitting as close to the compressor wheel as possible, not way down by the mafs.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote