Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 04-22-2017, 02:20 PM   #331
tb13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
tb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I'm not a fan of prebuilt, but if you can get that optiplex 990 cheap its the best one, spec wise. If I had to guess, it probably has an i7 2600 and 8GB of DDR3. Not the newest or fastest hardware, but it will get the job done. Since you can get it cheap, you can spend some more cash to drop a graphics card in it to make it a capable gaming rig.

Be careful though, some prebuilt PC's, especially dells, have awkward internal layouts or weak power supplies. If you get a PC with a junk power supply you will need to purchase a new PSU before you can even think about putting a graphics card in it. If you end up with one that has a weird internal layout you might be limited on upgrade-ability.
tb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2017, 05:53 PM   #332
lunchmeat
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
lunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'll second the Dell power supplies being shit. At my last job, we had 9010s and 9020s blowing power supplies constantly. Seriously, we had damned near a pallet full of them.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
lunchmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 11:28 AM   #333
collegekid
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
collegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb13 View Post
I'm not a fan of prebuilt, but if you can get that optiplex 990 cheap its the best one, spec wise.

Be careful though, some prebuilt PC's, especially dells, have awkward internal layouts or weak power supplies. If you get a PC with a junk power supply you will need to purchase a new PSU before you can even think about putting a graphics card in it. If you end up with one that has a weird internal layout you might be limited on upgrade-ability.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunchmeat View Post
I'll second the Dell power supplies being shit.
Hey guys, I appreciate the quick responses. I'm assuming you are talking about that bottom one, Spring $100 bundle thingy. Would it be best that I just wait to get my finances in a better position and then just build my own pc? My own "build" was coming in around $1300 ish.
collegekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 07:44 PM   #334
silviamang
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
silviamang is making a name for him/her selfsilviamang is making a name for him/her selfsilviamang is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Man I havent seen 780s in a while. 780 and 790s were base line for most DoD like 10 years ago, so most likely those are resold DRMO units. Those things are pretty beat up, think of it as used GOV vehicles that are sold for life cycle purposes... Its a pretty big gamble and all of it would need to be replaced anyways. Power supply is most of the time only is only meant to meet the bare minimum, so is the motherboard, no PCIE expansion slots. Hell, I think some of the 780s we got rid of were still using AGP video cards.
silviamang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 11:36 AM   #335
Future240
Future Moderator

Trader Rating: (17)
Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dNXVTH

1300 is a lot. You can do it for less. I assume CAD is cpu bound so I went with an R7. Great multi thread. You could easily save with a an R5 1600. Note I did not include monitor keyboard mouse or OS since most people already those and the OS as a student you likely get a discount or free.

Even with my list there are places you can save.

Cpu- r5 is a six core 12 thread cpu vs the 8 core R7
Ram -could drop to 8gb
Case-purely subjective. Cheaper cases
Memory-might not need an ssd
Future240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 11:44 AM   #336
tb13
Zilvia Addict

tb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegekid View Post
Hey guys, I appreciate the quick responses. I'm assuming you are talking about that bottom one, Spring $100 bundle thingy. Would it be best that I just wait to get my finances in a better position and then just build my own pc? My own "build" was coming in around $1300 ish.
I'd always suggest building a PC over buying one pre built. If you are okay with used hardware you can save a heap of cash too.

I've got an Intel Xeon 6 core/12 thread setup right now with a 980ti that I think total set me back around $750 because most of the parts are used that I bought off craigslist. It isn't the newest hardware, but I spent some time overclocking it a bit and it chugs through even the newest triple a games and would be a solid setup for a workstation too.

If you want new hardware, Future's suggestion is solid. I'd get an SSD for sure, I switched from spinning storage to only SSD's recently and I would never go back.
tb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:14 PM   #337
BOROSUN
Post Whore!

BOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfection
CAD... Radeon Pro WX 7100? cheapest workstation card around with a 10yr warranty. plus price has dropped around $600.
BOROSUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 02:06 AM   #338
BOROSUN
Post Whore!

BOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfection
http://wccftech.com/microsoft-tradem...-physics-dx12/
dope news. the moar development the better.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:42 PM   #339
BOROSUN
Post Whore!

man, where is vega saga continues.

my new case should be coming in tomorrow.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:03 PM   #340
Future240
Future Moderator

Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
did your case come in?
Old 05-05-2017, 08:44 PM   #341
BOROSUN
Post Whore!

nope. it was just my tools.

man, i had amazon 2 day on it. but, it's still on its way. #thumbsdown
Old 05-05-2017, 08:54 PM   #342
BOROSUN
Post Whore!

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-memory...rocode-update/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHebBmuXwsw
7700k temp spikes
Old 05-08-2017, 01:11 AM   #343
BOROSUN
Post Whore!

dang $700 budget build
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_uLQrS76Xs
Old 05-11-2017, 08:13 PM   #344
collegekid
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
collegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
I'm not a fan of prebuilt, .
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunchmeat View Post
I'll second the Dell power supplies being shit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviamang View Post
Man I havent seen 780s in a while.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future240 View Post
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dNXVTH

1300 is a lot. You can do it for less. I as
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOROSUN View Post
CAD... Radeon Pro WX 7100? .
Hey guys, I was busy with finals so I wasn't able to respond. Thank you guys for your knowledge and non flaming. I'm just going to work my ass off and build it.
collegekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:44 PM   #345
BOROSUN
Post Whore!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a87Iy7avG7o
jim@adoretv is exposing the illuminati.
Old 05-12-2017, 02:11 AM   #346
BOROSUN
Post Whore!

my new case

nzxt s340
Old 05-12-2017, 01:17 PM   #347
Future240
Future Moderator

^^^^That looks huge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by collegekid View Post
Hey guys, I was busy with finals so I wasn't able to respond. Thank you guys for your knowledge and non flaming. I'm just going to work my ass off and build it.

Id suggest to post up your final build before you buy it so we can check over it.
Old 05-12-2017, 01:37 PM   #348
tb13
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Id suggest to post up your final build before you buy it so we can check over it.
I agree, post up what you are planning to get before you buy, I made some not so great choices when I built my first PC.

Not sure if any of you care, but if you guys like toying around with older hardware check out a thread I made over on OCN a few years back. I had almost forgotten about it until I got a PM from someone the other day, was pretty shocked to see how much it had grown

[MOD] LGA775 Support For LGA771 Xeon CPUs
Old 05-12-2017, 04:59 PM   #349
Future240
Future Moderator

Quote:
I agree, post up what you are planning to get before you buy, I made some not so great choices when I built my first PC.

Dude....

My first pc "build" I took a prebuilt acer I had with a Phenom I, swapped the mobo, put in more ram, with a HIS 4850 and put in a 650 watt psu with a air cpu cooler. At the time I had no idea the Phenom was absolute shit at overclocking and that I had a psu what was MAJOR overkill.
Old 05-12-2017, 05:09 PM   #350
tb13
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Dude....

My first pc "build" I took a prebuilt acer I had with a Phenom I, swapped the mobo, put in more ram, with a HIS 4850 and put in a 650 watt psu with a air cpu cooler. At the time I had no idea the Phenom was absolute shit at overclocking and that I had a psu what was MAJOR overkill.
Ahaha I went to Fry's electronics and bought one of their "Bundles" with an Athlon x4 645 and some random DDR2 that I could afford. Once I got home I realized I had some of the slowest DDR2 known to man kind and a motherboard that was beyond basic bitch status. Not to mention I spent some serious cash (for me at the time at least) on a brand new GTS 250 that same day

Pretty much completely replaced that entire system within a few months because of how awful it was...
Old 05-12-2017, 06:25 PM   #351
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
di-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I cheated, I'm able to use a work computer for home, but I'll post the specs:

Falcon Talon
i7- 5930k Haswell
64GB Corsair DDR4
Asus x-99 deluxe
GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
4x 1tb ssd's

Monitors and peripherals are up to me.

Plays whatever I need, for a while most likely. Honestly just waiting for Destiny 2 on PC.
Old 05-12-2017, 09:46 PM   #352
Future240
Future Moderator

^^^Developer?

Quote:
Ahaha I went to Fry's electronics and bought one of their "Bundles" with an Athlon x4 645 and some random DDR2 that I could afford. Once I got home I realized I had some of the slowest DDR2 known to man kind and a motherboard that was beyond basic bitch status. Not to mention I spent some serious cash (for me at the time at least) on a brand new GTS 250 that same day

Pretty much completely replaced that entire system within a few months because of how awful it was...
I stuck with the Phenom and the 4850 for years. In 2015 I upgraded to a 7950 which wanted to run great, but was severely bottle necked by the Phenom. Later on I got a 470 which I am running now while I wait for Vega.
Old 05-13-2017, 11:06 AM   #353
tb13
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
I stuck with the Phenom and the 4850 for years. In 2015 I upgraded to a 7950 which wanted to run great, but was severely bottle necked by the Phenom. Later on I got a 470 which I am running now while I wait for Vega.
My second system was an Phenom X4 965 Black Edition with some OCZ Platinum DDR2. Was a huge upgrade, but when I upgraded GPU's I felt the bottleneck. I swapped over to an LGA1366 setup and I have stuck with intel ever since.

Really happy to see AMD making a comeback, will be interesting to see if they start releasing new chips regularly again to compete with Intel.

This is one of my old rigs, probably my favorite build to date, had an i5 3570k, GTX480's in sli and a sweet custom water cooling loop.

Old 05-13-2017, 04:14 PM   #354
BOROSUN
Post Whore!

Quote:
^^^^That looks huge.
it's a decent compact midcase
here's a example

it should clear up some real estate on my desk vs my current thermatake core v2.1
Old 05-13-2017, 11:04 PM   #355
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
di-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
^^^Developer?
Yep, Oculus Research.
Old 05-14-2017, 06:11 PM   #356
BOROSUN
Post Whore!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HJwBMOr0g4
saving this yt vid for future ref.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:38 AM   #357
Future240
Future Moderator

Vega needs to hurry up.
Old 05-17-2017, 01:13 PM   #358
Hachetjoel

Trader Rating: (2)
Hachetjoel is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Here's mine before I put it in the case, went with dual 1070's so that I could mine, the computer paid for itself after about 6 months.
Hachetjoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 05:14 PM   #359
anti tyler
GM2 (SW/AW)

Trader Rating: (37)
anti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
Send a message via AIM to anti tyler Send a message via Yahoo to anti tyler

but that shyt has SWAG

KA-T for life!
Current for sale advertisement

anti tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 05:21 PM   #360
tb13
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by anti tyler View Post
GTX770 nudes
Back in 2012 I did something similar with a GTX480, some dude on OCN.net was making these little plates that let you drop an H60 or H80 onto a GPU. Was then and is still now and awesome mod.