Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 11-30-2014, 05:33 PM   #1
akurtzer57

Trader Rating: (0)
akurtzer57 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My old turbo Maxima coming back with 500+FWHP

First a little backround this was my first car 10 years ago has been boosted last 7 but driven rarely last few years.
Some previous setups.
2008 setup ebay as can be. z32 370cc injectors

2011-2013 setup. Holset he351cw same injectors with fmu
Couple random exterior pics from the time.

Blew head gaskets Nov 2011 I think this is where I built my heads.

Video of new cams. Second video is where I got it all tuned and idling good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZK7t3qZlNMw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBkN-5XkRS0
2013 I went to a top feed injector setup with dsm 450cc and z31 intake parts. This where I eventually pushed it to far. Even adding a fmu I just pushed to hard. I ran 27psi for good 2500 miles.
More current exterior with lowering springs and start to install stillen kit.

A short walk around running on z31 plenum. Ignore the noisy water pump.
I was really getting it dialed and and it took a serious beating for a solid year. Unfortunately I pushed it to hard. I never did dyno Im guessing car was putting down mid 400s. So heres the results of the melted piston. Took me 45 min to tear down to this point.

This is where I cried seeing my Southbend stage 5 smoked. Clutch was rated 700+ ft/lbs. After talking with southbend Looks like I made to much power to soon. My fault for not fully breaking clutch in.

I then let the car sit for a year gathering parts slowly deciding where I wanted to go. I planed on another stock bottom end vg30e with my built heads. I stumbled onto local guy parting out a z31 which happened to be a shiro. Two truck loads home I tore down the motor I picked up for $600. Motor had z32 88mm weisco pistons, z32 TT rods with Arp Rod bolts. I tore it down to inspect his work on the rebuild. I saw quite a few issues so I went ahead and rebuilt the bottom end. Fresh bottom end and cleaned up my ported 85e heads with my schneider 280h cams, Schneider 110lb dual springs and Russ adjustable cam gears.

Got some help setting the timing.

Taking care of my fuel issues with. Aluminum rails and -6 an feed lines. Also 900cc seimens injectors

Im staying with the z31 plenum it worked very well with the top feeds and also made my pluming much easier to route. Except its now a gutted plenum.

Fast forward few months to now. My new headers are taking shape. Decided to just go full stainless with vband for the crossover pipe. I will be keeping the same turbo. Holset He351cw. I did get rid of the tial 38mm for tial 44mm. With everything vband should look clean and make it very easy to work on.

Mocked up on old junk head. Also back and forth to the car to ensure no clearance issues.

akurtzer57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2015, 09:14 AM   #2
akurtzer57

Ran out of material couple weeks ago. So while I waited I was slowly playing with fuel setup. That will be a seperate update later on. But material showed and finished mocking up the second header. Ran into small issue on the rear engine mount touching the header. But should be able to sort that out in hours work.

A inside shot of the collectors.
I also got new wheels. Time to retire the tiny MSR 7" wheels after 9 years. Found these enkeis on craigslist for $200. 17x8.5 with streteched tires which I will not run. Looking at running 245-255/45 Nitto n555r Radials or Proxes R88 up front. Then just a standard street tire on the rear. This should definetly help me hook up finally.

I pulled the rear motor mount and just removed the heat shield off it. That gave me plenty clearance without having to modify my header to fit. I have 10 days off for the holiday so hopefully I can get these finished up wastegate ran etc. Also get good start on my fuel lines before back to work.

I started to tack up my crossover up. Plan to try and keep same turbo location to minimize any changes to charge piping.

The collector will be simple 2 into 1 for the flange.

Headers are finally done. I was doing a detail how to weld these collectors up but I lost all my pictures somehow. Ill try and get them recovered. I did get a few of them back just none on the collector side of it. Got 80% off the header welded up on the mock up head bolted down. Every little bit I can reach. After I can't get any more I cut the tacks off the runners to collector and remove one by one.

On this set I only had to remove the one runner to reach everything.
Same process for the crossover pipe somewhat. If you notice my crossover pipe is in two pieces. This is due to after welding everything they will pull. If I welded it all up they would have not fit. So at this point will install in car and weld the last weld together to ensure nice fit and no leaks on the vband.

Old 01-10-2015, 10:18 AM   #3
rellik27
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
rellik27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Real nice man, such an interesting build. Making me want to build up my maxima I have just sitting there 2001 though. Keep it up.
rellik27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 10:42 PM   #4
bardabe
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
bardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bardabe
wow, nice one Maximas are something people never expect

Review Thread
bardabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 11:01 PM   #5
BigKriss
Leaky Injector

BigKriss is making a name for him/her selfBigKriss is making a name for him/her self
This is such a a different project, nice one bud. Loving your pipe work , put a flexi in one of the x over tubes.

Love these sleeper type cars..!
BigKriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:40 AM   #6
bova17
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
bova17 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Thats awesome man, keep up the work!!
bova17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 11:21 AM   #7
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Not that I know anything, But I would think that you should divide the two runners to the turbo flange, at least up to the flange itself? So that you don't have the opposing exhaust pulses pushing laterally against eachother, and instead going the same direction at the turbine when they merge? Basically just a divider plate in the middle of the flange essentially making it a twin scroll-ish flange.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 04:08 PM   #8
nujabe
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
nujabe can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
subscribed !
Old 01-12-2015, 05:55 PM   #9
angel mkiv
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
angel mkiv is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Nice build man interested to see the outcome! And definitly different for sure
Old 01-14-2015, 10:04 PM   #10
JDMBart
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (-1)
JDMBart is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: -1 reviews
awesome build, subd
JDMBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 08:54 AM   #11
supersayianjim
Nissanaholic!

supersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enough
those welds look yumm!!
supersayianjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 09:39 AM   #12
bmaddock
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
bmaddock is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Mostly because my first car was a V6 Galant, I've always had a weird love for 4-door FWD builds like this. Regardless, that header looks like it was fun to make, excited to see where this build goes.
Old 01-15-2015, 10:55 AM   #13
HypnoFish
Zilvia Member

HypnoFish is an unknown quantity at this point
Wow, keep up the good work!
HypnoFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 05:16 PM   #14
shaun661
Leaky Injector

shaun661 is an unknown quantity at this point
hell yeah this is sick i had one but not like this
shaun661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 05:53 PM   #15
spooled240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
spooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Interesting build! subscribed
spooled240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 08:13 PM   #16
future
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (42)
future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
How do you catch grip?
future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 05:59 PM   #17
akurtzer57

Quote:
Originally Posted by future View Post
How do you catch grip?
I had some major traction issues last time. This year will be running 245/45/17 555r or proxes r888.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:55 PM   #18
akurtzer57

Really got busy with buying a house but im back on track and havn't had time to update my threads. Hoping for start up next month. Im just going to copy my last posts from the org.
Its been awhile since I updated as the car got put on hold. My funds went to the new house and will be moving first of April. Heres the little bit of progress ive made since the previous update. Heres a shot if back welding inside the 1.5" collector with my micro tig.

Finished crossover pipe.

Shot of 44mm tial wastegate installed. Low boost spring to for break in 14psi.

The start of my 3" downpipe. I finally found a vband reducer to fit my he351 no more big bulky cast iron elbow. 4" to 3" reducer.

This is pretty much where the car stands stitting in my storage unit for one more month then get to bring to the new house and week or two should be ready to fire up. I have my to do list and only thing left to order are the 950cc injectors and my fuel pump. New clutch and flywheel and the rest of the good stuff ready to install at the new house.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:56 PM   #19
akurtzer57

Alright im settled into the new house and back on track. Im really shooting for first start up end of april early may. Its So nice waking up and walking to the garage and not in a storage unit. Its decent sized and will suite my needs. I plan do some upgrades to the garage in time lighting insulation ac and heat etc. Heres the garage 24x26. Have to do some sorting for all my parts and build some shelving but fits my Shiro and maxima just fine with plenty room to work around. Have my welder all set up in the back wall.

Got my to do list made and went to work day after got moved in. Got my ve hubs apart and starting cleaning up and installing new wheel bearings. Also since Ive never ran the ve trans it was quite greasy from my old parts car some some gunk and good scrubbing it cleaned up. I scrapped majority off with a scrapper.

Now that I have the car next to my welder I can actually finish up my downpipe and dump tube. I decided to tie it in this time. Previous setup was open dump. I have it down behind the motor just need to get some more stainless and a vband for it to tie into the exhaust which I also have to make.
(fuse box is loose and not actually mounted there)

All fitting good and happy so then car exploaded for clutch install and finaly assembly. Here got the mock up trans out. Dropped the tank for the walbro 460 e85 pump and running -6 an fuel lines all way up.

Had this spec stage 5 clutch laying around decided to give it a shot instead the southbend. Needs some cleaning due to sitting but it new in the box. Got second hand for $240 shipped!
New friction plate to go with the clutch. Needs some slight cleaning also from sitting.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:57 PM   #20
akurtzer57

This is my latest update from today. Got the clutch,flywheel,trans in for hopefully the last time. I knew I had an issue with my coolant line for my lower radiator hose. Ended up just shorting the pipe little over an inch and problem solved. Will end up changing the hose itself up a bit to get a little more clearance from the header. Little paint to finish it up.

Ordered my 1000cc injectors finally so while I wait on parts and cant do my much I decided to fix my intake and my turbo. On the intake the bungs for the plug they had very poor threads and the welds I wasn't happy with. Also Shaved everything else I didn't need.
Before

Can really see how bad the old bungs were plugs wouldn't even tighten down.

After

As for the turbo It had low spots where the internal wastegate mount was from the factory. So little welding to build up and grinding. Was all I needed to do. Now that everything is nice and smooth. Intake and compressor will be fully polished.

Also filled a old sensor port that I had a ugly plug in before.

This is where I stand. waiting on parts. I got some other misc stuff done starter,power steering on etc. Also will be converting over to z31 dizzy. Should have the turbo polished and the down pipe on tomorrow. Also hoping get alt and ac back in before the weekend over.
Old 04-25-2015, 07:57 PM   #21
future
Post Whore!

future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
This shit is crazy
Old 04-26-2015, 12:01 AM   #22
akurtzer57

Quote:
Originally Posted by future View Post
This shit is crazy
Seems normal to me.
Old 02-14-2016, 03:19 PM   #23
akurtzer57

Its time I update this thread its way over due. I lost some pictures of some of the fab work on my old phone that my 3yr old decided chuck across the drive way. But if curious on something I can always snap some of the finished product better. Last update was working on my fuel system so this what I came up with. Injectors are FIC 1000cc for rb26 the are a low impedance which will work fine since I already have drop resistors soldered into my engine harness from the old 450cc. Total cost for rails and fittings was less than $40.

Rails and lower intake bolted in the car and started making fuel lines. Just -6 braided line bought a 20ft roll and had plenty left.

I had to loop it down for the intake to clear on back side of the motor.

Very tight squeeze past the z31 Dizzy. I ran the z31 dizzy for extra clearance. The Maxima probably would have worked but I need all the room I can get.

I bought a roll of -6 hard brake line straightened it out and bent to my needs from tank all way up to firewall. Then e85 compliant rubber hose into filter mounted on firewall then used a -6 an to 3/8 barb feed fitting to convert to the braided line. As for the return bottom of the regulator Just a -6 to 5/16 barb. I kept the stock return line as it should be big enough I hope. I can get new pics of all these fittings if someone wants. I lost those.
Old 02-14-2016, 03:20 PM   #24
akurtzer57

Now that the fuel system is covered primed the system fixed couple leaks move on to getting ac back in this thing. I kept everything there but never put compressor back on. My old charge pipe didn't clear the compressor so made it better. Still need to redo the drivers side 1 piece. I don't have pictures of the in progress but here is the result of about 45 min fab work from a ebay intercooler pipe kit. This is coming off the intercooler and turning up towards motor past the ac was tight squeeze. Was wanting make this solid one piece but had to put a coupler up by ac to connect the top side. Was a pita trying fit it on and off one piece. Ignore all the loose wires. This was from installing new engine harness.
I probably have good finger width all way around the charge pipe.
Top side of the new charge pipe. You can also see what I was doing with all those grind marks on my intake well hours and hours later gave it a slight polish. This was June 27th 2015 day before first startup.

Heres what the setup looks like basically all together. This was day of first start up. Keep in mind I had a lot loose vac lines that a quick thru on anxious to finally hear it run again. I may look into building some stainless hard lines for vacuum lines.

Car sittiing on the ground finally ready to start.

Pulled my tune got a quick base tune cranked built some oil pressure. Put fuel pump fuse and vroom fired right up. Played with my idle for 15-20 min or so getting afr and idle speed right for these cams. Called it a day and was going play with it next day right? Wrong. Try to connect to ecu with nistune nothing. Long story short I pushed the car aside for 7 months not touching it until 2 weeks ago. Come to find out my Ecu randomly took a crap. Got new ecu and everything seems to be working again. I cant start it until get a new 28 pin socket for my nistune and move it to new ecu and cross fingers my nistune board is ok. If not got shell out another $280.

During the 7 months of not working on my Maxima I played with my silverado ss few bolt ons tune etc. Also got timing set done on my 6th gen maxima just in time. Got good news Wife and I are expecting little girl this march. So the 6th gen will be my new daily. But anyways now that I am working on my car again for last 2 weekends New ecu and engine harness are in. I cant do much but finish exhaust and address my clutch issue. Heres my clutch issue it will not fully disengage. So I put this new clutch in part number sns455 for a 84-86 300zx. The southbend clutch on left is my old clutch that is smoked. Every which way I measure there the same. Had clutch in the car running but will not disengage fully. At first thought throw out bearing or fork popped off pivot ball. Which all checked out ok. Only thing I'm left to think is my slave cylinder is too weak to press in this pressure plate fully. Here's few pics of clutches. The slave cylinder is stock 3/4. On the z31 forum guy suggested adjusting the clutch at the master cylinder? I hope I didn't pull my trans today for nothing today. Even though it takes less than an hour.

Old 02-14-2016, 07:24 PM   #25
future
Post Whore!

This thing is still alive!
Old 02-14-2016, 07:26 PM   #26
akurtzer57

Sure is. I might send this turbo off for a billet 6776 upgrade from turbo lab of America and shoot for 600whp i was already close to 500 before so why not go bigger.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:39 AM   #27
Fred Allen Burge
Zilvia Junkie

Fred Allen Burge is an unknown quantity at this point
Can I ask where you found that downpipe flange reducer? I've got the same turbo waiting to be used and I'll need one of those eventually.

Great job on the welds btw, I've got the same Everlast tig and I love it but I'm not nearly as consistent with the bead as you, I need lots more seat time.
Old 02-15-2016, 05:22 PM   #28
akurtzer57

Heres where I got my downpipe flange
http://puredieselpower.com/dodge-pro...e-reducer.html
Old 02-15-2016, 05:35 PM   #29
future
Post Whore!

Can we make it to page two? This long page gets real old when trying to find new post

Lastly the TQ steer in this thing has to be insane? Any plan for a LSD?
Old 02-15-2016, 06:36 PM   #30
akurtzer57

I have a lsd. Out of a dohc came factory with lsd trans. Direct swap just got change front hubs and axles with think the trans.