Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 10-15-2013, 11:45 AM   #1
wsmiteh
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
wsmiteh is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
S14 Transmission Help 😒

Hi guys,
First time posting on Zilvia, and unfortunately not too happy about it. Been having some intermittent issues with trans in the last few days and thought I would see if anyone from the community could offer me some insight. I am fairly ignorant as far as the mechanical aspect of my car goes, but I am working at building an understanding, and love cars just like the rest of us; I'm new here so please be nice to me 😋! Anyways, car is a 97 240sx (s14) with a largely stock ka in it. Has aprox. 130xxxkm's (80xxx miles for all you American folk). I don't know of this is pertinent to the issue but it has a lightened (steel) nismo flywheel, and a bc short shifter. Car has become extremely stubborn and won't really shift into 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Clutch will be all the way in and it will still grind when I gently try to grab a gear while driving. Stopped at lights, I can put clutch in and shift through all the gears with no issue (and fast). Clutch does not slip, and still bites strong. I find its soso on the way up except for second, but absolutely will not allow for" engine-braking downshifts" (every single downshift has to be heel-toe'd) which makes me think synchro(s). Haven't had any issues with 4th or 5th, and reverse is generally ok. Biggest issue is for sure 2nd gear. That said ^ I think it's pretty unlikely that all 3 (or more) synchros blew at the same time... but who knows. I checked to make sure I haven't got anything stuck behind my clutch pedal, and everything is fine. Car passed a full inspection with flying colors 2 weeks ago. Looking to figure out what's up/how I can fix it! Thanks to anyone who takes the time to try and help me out, I appreciate it!

Cheers, Will

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
wsmiteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2013, 01:22 PM   #2
wsmiteh
Leaky Injector

On an *unrelated* note, anybody selling a ka24de trans?

Old 10-15-2013, 02:58 PM   #3
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Have a friend depress the pedal while you look at the slave cylinder. Make sure the slave is extending an inch or more. What color is your clutch fluid? If it's black, brown, silver or any other color that's not clear, bleed all old fluid out with new. With that said, try rebleeding your clutch. You may also adjust your clutch engagement point. Please resort to the FSM for all of these procedures, especially since you are "ignorant" with these things.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:00 PM   #4
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
First and foremost, look into doing this:
THE GARAGE GUIDES - Remove Your Clutch Damper

Second, does the clutch feel like its engaging/disengaging all the way to the bottom? Might be as simple as adjusting the pedal engagement point. If you look at the pedal, you should see the clutch mastercylinder shaft attached to it. Loosen the lock nut on the U-bracket and turn the shaft to adjust it.

Third, it wouldnt hurt to change your transmission fluid out. My suggestion is Amsoil MT-lube.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:57 PM   #5
wsmiteh
Leaky Injector

Thanks for the suggestion(s), changed the trans fluid, and things got a little better. If I let it warm up for a decently long time and double clutch every downshift it runs grind free so that's what I'll do for now. Gotta start saving for a new trans now I guess!

Old 10-17-2013, 05:06 PM   #6
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Why don't you try bleeding the slave and master cylinders... It's free and could keep you from having to buy a new trans longer.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:09 PM   #7
wsmiteh
Leaky Injector

I likely will do, but the car is getting stored in something like a week when it snows, so I can drive it grind free until then, and decide what my plan of attack is going to be. Odds are next spring ill redo all fluids to do with trans, clutch etc, and see how she goes. Clutch disengagement isn't the issue right now anyways.