Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 11-26-2016, 02:40 PM   #1
drewc

Trader Rating: (0)
drewc is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Affordable desktop for computer aided design

I am looking for an affordable desk top setup that I can run computer aided design on with room to grow if I choose to start gaming as well. Does anybody have any solid advice on what to look for?
drewc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2016, 04:21 PM   #2
Koukiii
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Koukiii is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewc View Post
I am looking for an affordable desk top setup that I can run computer aided design on with room to grow if I choose to start gaming as well. Does anybody have any solid advice on what to look for?
Are you comfortable with building your own PC from scratch?

It's not as hard as some people might think. I used to do it years ago when I was in the computer gaming scene. Multiple graphics cards, water cooled everything, you name it.

Piecing together your own computer will allow you to get the best parts possible for your money.

Visit Overclock.net

There is a wealth of info there for gaming and work PC's
Koukiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 06:16 PM   #3
Malik
Nissanaholic!

Malik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant future
building a pc is the way to go.

cyberpower pc has some good deals, and you can always buy a motherboard bundle from newegg, comes with the cpu and the ram.
Malik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 07:38 PM   #4
derrick_12341

derrick_12341 is an unknown quantity at this point
What's your budget?

Sent from my N9132 using Tapatalk
derrick_12341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 12:23 AM   #5
drewc

I would say my budget is around 2,000 dollars. I have never built a computer. I have been told it's more of a hassle trying to get the operating systems to work together.
Old 11-27-2016, 02:03 AM   #6
lunchmeat
Zilvia Addict

lunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond repute
Is the cad software cpu based or graphics card based for rendering?
lunchmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 04:29 AM   #7
drewc

I am looking into solidworks for 3d design or autocad.
Old 11-27-2016, 05:13 AM   #8
lunchmeat
Zilvia Addict

lunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond repute
If you haven't seen this, then it might give you an idea
http://blogs.solidworks.com/solidwor...rformance.html

An I7 Intel processor, minimum 8gb(16gb would be better), and a good gpu. $2k can build a pretty quick pc.
Go to pcpartpicker.com and play around. It'll tell you what's compatible or not.
lunchmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 09:34 AM   #9
Future240
Future Moderator

Trader Rating: (17)
Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
Go to Reddit specifically r/buildapc. Search for CAD builds. Mimic and post your build for critiquing.
Future240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 02:51 PM   #10
collegekid
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
collegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I'm in literally the exact same boat as you op, I'm just about done the semester with CAD (solidworks) but my entire next year is all about our senior design project.

Luckily my school has a bunch of powerful desktops we use ( which is why I didnt build a pc yet)

You can also get away with building a $1000 setup that would handle solidworks pretty well.
As a benchmark, the ones my school uses are these

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/pr...workstation/pd

the $1400 one. Building it yourself shouldn't be too hard according to my friend who has a watercooled insane gaming setup that he also uses for school.

An i5 processor "pretty good setup" comes out anywhere from 1000-1250

This is my wishlist if anyone wants to chime in ( not to threadjack but me and op are in the same boat pretty much)

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/d6L6qk
collegekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 05:37 PM   #11
silviamang
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
silviamang is making a name for him/her selfsilviamang is making a name for him/her selfsilviamang is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
MOST (If not all) CAD software uses processor power for rendering with sometimes with the aid of the GPU. Now adays its not hard to pick and choose what you want in your rig and the company will just put it together and send it out if you are not comfortable assembling it all together.
A good rule of thumb in order of importance for CAD rigs:
1. Processor (Generally more clock speed and Cores the better, but not always. I use AMD for gaming, and Intel for my workstation. Hands down Intel is better architecture for what you are looking to do, but if you want to save some money AMD's can be used.)
2. Memory (16GB min. also with the highest clock speed your motherboard can support)
3. Hard drive (You're going to need a lot of space for all of your mutiple parts and subassemblies, look into SSD for the faster read/write speeds.)
4. GPU (Not really too necessary, just getting something that will support multiple 24+ inch monitors easily at a good resolution. Old HD7900 series can be gotten for dirt cheap, or any mid grade GPU with 2+GB and DDR5 should be fine.Or if you want to futureproof, the RX480's are super affordable.)
silviamang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 12:19 AM   #12
drewc

I will do some more research before I make a solid decision. Thanks for all of the advice. It looks like I will have to either jump head first into a build and try and teach myself or pay a little more to get a pre built computer.
Old 11-28-2016, 06:36 AM   #13
d9m13n
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
d9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Built mine on ibuypower like 6 years ago now and its still more advanced than most things off the shelf. I paid a touch over 2000 with shipping and all peripherals. Stupid fast even today, and Ive never had to replace any components. i7, 16 gigs of ram, water/fan cooled, the only thing thats pretty out of date is my 660ti graphics card. Your budget would get you a hell of a pc even if a company like ibuypower assembles it for you
d9m13n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 07:41 AM   #14
Future240
Future Moderator

Trader Rating: (17)
Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
Quote:
Originally Posted by d9m13n View Post
Built mine on ibuypower like 6 years ago now and its still more advanced than most things off the shelf. I paid a touch over 2000 with shipping and all peripherals. Stupid fast even today, and Ive never had to replace any components. i7, 16 gigs of ram, water/fan cooled, the only thing thats pretty out of date is my 660ti graphics card. Your budget would get you a hell of a pc even if a company like ibuypower assembles it for you
ibuypower is a ripoff. diy is cheaper

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/co..._modeling_and/?

This is with Canada money so it will be cheaper in the US.

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/co...with_my_build/?
Future240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 08:47 AM   #15
s13silvia123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
s13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
it really depends on your preference. bought a laptop off the shelf at best buy for $300 while i was in school. made it through using SolidWorks for 3 years. can't complain. now i don't even use the laptop anymore.

s13silvia123 is offline   Reply With Quote