Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:20 PM   #1
o1roadkingrider

Trader Rating: (0)
o1roadkingrider is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Have you ever? Clutch on S14.

I've got a relatively new clutch, with about 600 miles on it now. It's a six puck copper ceramic disk, heavy duty pressure plate, and a light weight steel flywheel setup.

Initial adjustment to pedal was made right away, which put the engagement beginning just around mid travel or a bit closer to the floor.

I had been taking it pretty easy on the thing, but here recently I started being a little more hash. Some clutch kicking... a burnout here... some hard launches there... you know how it goes.

This morning I got in the car to take the kids to school and the damn thing was engaging at the top! Gone was the free-play and feel I had the day before. It didn't slip, but took very little pressure on the pedal to cause it to.

My trip was about 30 miles round trip. When I got back home I shut her down and opened my door. I listened while pumping the clutch pedal in and out several times, but didn't hear anything odd. I decided to have a look underneath after breakfast.

After eating, I went back out to pull her into the driveway and the clutch was back to normal. Perfect engagement, free play, and feel!

What the hell???? Anybody have this happen? If so, did you figure out what caused it? I was thinking maybe the rod on the slave or master cylinder had hung up outside of it's seat somehow, then maybe it fell back into place after me pumping it for a while.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:06 AM   #2
egracer415
Leaky Injector

egracer415 is an unknown quantity at this point
i have the same problem. anyone have a suggestion?
egracer415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:03 PM   #3
vbgambini
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
vbgambini is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Mine did the opposite. It was at the top almost and now barely of the floor. Any suggestions?
vbgambini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:38 PM   #4
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
What conditions are the master and slave cylinders in?
g6civcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:58 PM   #5
broke240
Leaky Injector

broke240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to broke240
Quote:
Originally Posted by g6civcx View Post
What conditions are the master and slave cylinders in?
This.

I would check your master and slave. Sounds like one of them could be going out.
broke240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:31 PM   #6
vbgambini
Zilvia Junkie

No i tried to leave work and the clutch went straight to the floor no pressure at all. Checked the fluid and it was fine. Is it the slave cylinder? Leakage? What could it be?
Old 01-04-2010, 05:38 PM   #7
shinobis13hb
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (12)
shinobis13hb is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Slave cylinder 100 percent sure =] its going bad. Mine wasn't leaking at all but it still went bad.
shinobis13hb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:04 PM   #8
vbgambini
Zilvia Junkie

ok thanks.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:42 PM   #9
silviaguy240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
silviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
is it engaging very early or late? not sure with your description. sounds like early but you said top.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:10 PM   #10
vbgambini
Zilvia Junkie

well mine started to engage at the top...today when i pushed it all the way to the floor if i raised it an inch it was already engaging (early). now it just went straight to the floor, no engagement at all.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:33 PM   #11
jspeedm
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (26)
jspeedm is on the path to ruinjspeedm is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1roadkingrider View Post
I've got a relatively new clutch, with about 600 miles on it now. It's a six puck copper ceramic disk, heavy duty pressure plate, and a light weight steel flywheel setup.

Initial adjustment to pedal was made right away, which put the engagement beginning just around mid travel or a bit closer to the floor.

I had been taking it pretty easy on the thing, but here recently I started being a little more hash. Some clutch kicking... a burnout here... some hard launches there... you know how it goes.

This morning I got in the car to take the kids to school and the damn thing was engaging at the top! Gone was the free-play and feel I had the day before. It didn't slip, but took very little pressure on the pedal to cause it to.

My trip was about 30 miles round trip. When I got back home I shut her down and opened my door. I listened while pumping the clutch pedal in and out several times, but didn't hear anything odd. I decided to have a look underneath after breakfast.

After eating, I went back out to pull her into the driveway and the clutch was back to normal. Perfect engagement, free play, and feel!

What the hell???? Anybody have this happen? If so, did you figure out what caused it? I was thinking maybe the rod on the slave or master cylinder had hung up outside of it's seat somehow, then maybe it fell back into place after me pumping it for a while.
try flipping the rod on the slave over.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:46 PM   #12
silviaguy240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
silviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbgambini View Post
well mine started to engage at the top...today when i pushed it all the way to the floor if i raised it an inch it was already engaging (early). now it just went straight to the floor, no engagement at all.
May sound stupid but did you use a new TOB and grease it up good? My brother did his clutch not to long ago and i was trying to make sure he did it. His sorta was doing the same thing, working for a while, then not, then slipping, then working then not. Guess what, called his ass out, he never changed or greased it, but his flywheel was real messed up also which caused alot of the slipping.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:17 AM   #13
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Well I have the same issue at you. Mine would be low, like its barely engaging, specially when its cold and the cars been sitting. The longer i drive it and the warmer it gets, the higher the engagement point of the clutch. Its not a leaky slave cylinder(nismo), brand new master and running a SS line straight from the master to the slave (so no dampner). Bled the whole system numerous times with the same result. Dont really wanna adjust the clutch pedal since its right where its supposed to be when its its finally warmed up. Its not something leaking since just sitting there and pumping the pedal, the pressure doesnt build up per say and engagement point doesnt change.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote