Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-11-2009, 03:30 PM   #211
eddieflo
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
eddieflo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to eddieflo
eddieflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2009, 03:31 PM   #212
druthafoo
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
druthafoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
^who the hell is this referring to.
Old 07-11-2009, 03:35 PM   #213
eddieflo
Leaky Injector

eddieflo is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to eddieflo
Quote:
Originally Posted by druthafoo View Post
^who the hell is this referring to.

everyone lol
eddieflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 06:17 PM   #214
weshole
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
weshole is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Fine....

Old 07-11-2009, 09:10 PM   #215
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
I've started a trend... where's your 3d enclosure modeling and speaker design graphs? LOL

Funny thing is, since a car is basically as far away from an ideal enclosure as possible (it's not rigid, sealed, suitably large, damped, etc), I had to tune out some funny spikes once I mounted everything and ran through my tuning process - even though the frequency response in the model is totally smooth. Doing the enclosures in the doors is the only way to get decent bass out of the doors of an old import... it's not like we're starting with Lexus or Porsche doors here.

I can play my 6.5" mids (albeit with tons of very clean power) all the way down to 120hz with no problems whatsoever.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 09:32 PM   #216
weshole
Zilvia Member

It's all a compromise for me really. What do you want more, aesthetics or function? I try to do bring the most out of both without one aspect stepping all over the other. That's where starting with good equipment makes that job easier.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:08 AM   #217
druthafoo
Zilvia Junkie

^nice weshole, ugh, if I did that, I'd probably kick in my speaker cone or one of my friends would a week within installment.

I have to keep my mid under the grille.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:59 PM   #218
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
You can see from this pic on the passenger side that your feet (and your passengers') are actually past the speaker.

Getting into and out of the car is the only time you have to watch out - especially because mine protrude from the door panel by about 3" on the bottom (they're angled back and up).

www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
Old 07-12-2009, 02:04 PM   #219
druthafoo
Zilvia Junkie

thats an s14 right? im pretty sure itll be the same as a s13 tho. how are you going to finish up that panel?
Old 07-12-2009, 02:42 PM   #220
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Quote:
thats an s14 right? im pretty sure itll be the same as a s13 tho. how are you going to finish up that panel?
Yup, S14. The S14 door panels have more room in them, that's what gave me the idea. I don't have any finished pics, since the door panels are currently off the car (redoing the engine bay, and since I'm redoing the gauges and wiring, I have the dash and interior out mostly). Basically I cut the stock door panel around the woofer box, and will cover the woofer box in similar vinyl to the door. You really don't notice it's there unless I point it out.

Old 07-12-2009, 03:47 PM   #221
weshole
Zilvia Member

Quote:
^nice weshole, ugh, if I did that, I'd probably kick in my speaker cone or one of my friends would a week within installment.

I have to keep my mid under the grille.

These are just "quickie" mounting pieces to get them in use for the season. They will be completely reworked over the winter.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:52 PM   #222
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

kingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfection
Here is my new woofer box. I don't have an amp yet(feel free to suggest one) so I don't know how it sounds.

The box is 3/4 mdf at 13x12x37. The vent is 3.5x3.5x14. The woofer is a Peerless XLS10.

And here is my uncle building the box.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:28 PM   #223
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Square vents sound like ass without smoothing the corners ~ at least run some 45* strips of that MDF down the edges.

Also, you absoultely need at least one port diameter (in your case, 3.5" * sqrt(2)) of space on both ends of the port ~ it looks like you obstruct it internally with that brace, but much more dramatically with the port facing right into a plastic interior panel, unless thats the port in the corner there, in which case you need to clean up that 90* transition.

With vented boxes you have to realize that a lot of your SQ (and a decent amount of your SPL) has to do with how clean your port is.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:36 PM   #224
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

kingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfection
I can do the strips of mdf and the brace is further away than it looks. What do I need to do to clean up the 90* turn?
Old 12-16-2009, 11:41 PM   #225
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

I may be able to get a Pioneer GM-X962. Does any one here have any experience with it? I know it's a 2 channel but I'm not sure how that would work with my set up(no rear speakers with one sub). Would I use this for the sub and some thing with less power for the front?
Old 12-17-2009, 12:04 AM   #226
NismoDriverS13
Zilvia Junkie

NismoDriverS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
this thread is making me want to vomit!!!

why isnt this locked already?!?!
NismoDriverS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:43 AM   #227
mothon
Zilvia Addict

mothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond repute
Why would it be locked?
Old 12-17-2009, 01:08 AM   #228
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkilburn View Post
I can do the strips of mdf and the brace is further away than it looks. What do I need to do to clean up the 90* turn?
A smooth, constant diameter 90* bend is ideal - I usually use 3" ABS plastic and bondo/epoxy the joints and sand them down smooth. The exit needs to be super smooth too, so sand that into a "funnel" shape.

Easiest thing for rectangular ports is the 45* angle pieces, I guess just throw one of those in the 90* bend and use wood glue to make it as smooth as possible.

Quote:
I may be able to get a Pioneer GM-X962. Does any one here have any experience with it? I know it's a 2 channel but I'm not sure how that would work with my set up(no rear speakers with one sub). Would I use this for the sub and some thing with less power for the front?
You'll need at least 4 channels to run the sub and the fronts. Four channel amps are cheap as hell, don't bother with two separate two channels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoDriverS13 View Post
this thread is making me want to vomit!!!

why isnt this locked already?!?!
I don't get it, are you saying most people have shitty setups?

I don't think that's news to anyone, least of all those posting here lol.

Old 12-17-2009, 01:23 AM   #229
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

So you wouldn't recommend using a tri-way crossover? I'm only interested because a friend wants to make me a deal. I will probably end up buying an old Hifonics Olympus off ebay.
Old 12-25-2009, 01:55 PM   #230
cereal_killer44

cereal_killer44 is an unknown quantity at this point

diamond d662 silk 6.5's.

about to do glassed doors as the soundstage is near the shifter boot. going to try to get a proper sound stage after the first of the year.

the amp is a massive audio hd 800.4 running it on 100 watts per channel not bridged.

will update when my box gets finished.
cereal_killer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 04:37 PM   #231
silviaguy240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
silviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
ok, what type/size of amp do i need for two 10" that are

power range: 50-300 watts RMS
peak power handling: 600 watts

this one look ok?(not getting from crutchfield) this is gonna be a semi budget setup for my daily.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130GM54...0T.html?tp=115
Old 12-27-2009, 06:14 PM   #232
awesomenick
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (33)
awesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
Didn't want to bump this (http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/176820...-amps-etc.html) OLD thread for my question...

But I'm going to start putting together a better sounding system. I don't need the best of everything, I just want it to sound better than my stock blown speakers. So far I'm thinking of using some of those ebay adapters to put some 6.5" in the door, and then whatever size fits in the rear of the hatch to match. I know nothing about this though, I'm the type of person who walks into Best Buy, and thinks that all of the speakers sound "good." Even though I know there's better stuff out there.

I need to buy a deck with too. I want it to have bluetooth and iPod control. I'm thinking about the Pioneer AVH-P3100DVD or DEH-7100BT maybe? But I'm open to suggestions. Basically if anybody has any experience with any of this or has a suggestion for some good, mid range speakers, I want to hear it!
awesomenick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 08:22 AM   #233
xawax
Leaky Injector

xawax is a jewel in the roughxawax is a jewel in the roughxawax is a jewel in the roughxawax is a jewel in the roughxawax is a jewel in the roughxawax is a jewel in the roughxawax is a jewel in the rough
i sound like i'm drunk and half asleep, but here is...also, you may want to skip to about the middle of this video cause there is not much going on in the first half...

YouTube - Carputer Project S13

i will be integrating this with my sr via the consult port for digital gauges and logging/tuning on the fly...
Old 01-08-2010, 09:22 PM   #234
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

I just finished my install(pics in the am) but I still have a question.

With the amp I'm getting great highs and lows but the middle is a little muddy. How do I go about adjusting the crossovers for good sound quality? Also my amp comes with adjustable bass/treble boost, is this worth using?
Old 01-10-2010, 01:32 AM   #235
omgshawn
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
omgshawn is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Pioneer head unit
12" visonik
Jensen 500w amp
4x6 Pioneer's
4x6 Alpines
Battery relocation w/breaker and splitters
2 Farad capacitor waiting to go in

I plan on molding in 2 10's into the 1/4 panel space at the back corners of the hatch.
omgshawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 03:22 PM   #236
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

Hmm. I could have sworn I posted these already. Guess not.

I plan on having it wrapped in carpet in the next couple of weeks.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:59 PM   #237
weshole
Zilvia Member

Totally redesigning the system.
Put the Clarion h/u in wifes Outback.
Gave the Type R to my kid.

Bought a few TANG BAND 8" subs

compared to a pioneer 5x7

Built a suitable enclosure and wrapped it in some suede.

Oh and the 4ch amp i was using for all was getting lonely so I figured I'd add to the family with a sub amp.

Is this enough to power a few 8's?

Same components as before. (Zapco) but head unit is either going to be a Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD or a JVC KW-AVX830. Im leaning towards the Pioneer because of the lil extras they offer and a better on board EQ along with having the option of adding nav if I see fit
Old 02-24-2010, 12:40 AM   #238
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

What's the total space inside that box, about 3ft? I'm thinking four 8's without a vented/bandpass box will be awfully peaky ~

Sweet Zapco gear.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:52 PM   #239
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

I need some advice.

I am very happy with my system over all. It sounds great and has enough punch for me. It also gets very low without distorting.

My only issue is this, I noticed when listening to Ghosts n Stuff the kick drum in the song sounds very flat at the volumes I like to listen to while the sub bass in the song sounds great. If I turn down the volume I lose the sub bass but gain back the kick drum.

What do you think the issue is?

Here is the song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/h7ArUgxtlJs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/h7ArUgxtlJs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

EDIT
Hearing this song on my laptop reminds me how much I love my car's sound system. These little speakers DO NOT do this song justice.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:17 PM   #240
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Quote:
I need some advice.

I am very happy with my system over all. It sounds great and has enough punch for me. It also gets very low without distorting.

My only issue is this, I noticed when listening to Ghosts n Stuff the kick drum in the song sounds very flat at the volumes I like to listen to while the sub bass in the song sounds great. If I turn down the volume I lose the sub bass but gain back the kick drum.

What do you think the issue is?

Here is the song.

EDIT
Hearing this song on my laptop reminds me how much I love my car's sound system. These little speakers DO NOT do this song justice.
Haha, I love that song.

What you've probably got is interference between your midrange and your subwoofer - there are a couple of solutions, but neither is perfect. First, if your mids can play low enough, try crossing your sub lower (lower the low-pass crossover frequency on the head unit) or if not try crossing your mids higher (raise the high-pass freq on your head unit).

The other (better) option if your freq response is otherwise pretty smooth (do a freq sweep from 1000hz down to 20 or so and listen for peaks and valleys to check) is to reverse the phase of the subwoofer 180*. If your headunit supports this in software it's a 5 sec adjustment, if not just reverse the left and right channel RCAs going into your sub amp. This will change the frequencies in which the sub and mids destructively interfere, and will change "where" it sounds like the bass is "coming from".