Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 12-19-2010, 08:25 PM   #1
mct3351
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (4)
mct3351 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Well then that pulley wont work. If you were to compare the length of the moment arm of the s13 pulley on the s13 throttle body, with the length of the moment arm of an s14 pulley (installed backwards from the way its installed on an s14 throttle body) installed on an s13 throttle body, the way you have it, its about 4 times longer and the bending loads are 4 times more.

Since I'm blind and cant see that this is the only configurstion that will work the easiest thing to do, is make a pedal stop. This will limit the force pulling/bending on the end of the axle once its fully rotated and resting on its stop.

Or you can disregard my advise and do nothing and keep hoping for a different result.
mct3351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2010, 08:35 PM   #2
Couped_up'd
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (47)
Couped_up'd is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 47 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mct3351 View Post

or you can disregard my advise and do nothing and keep hoping for a different result.

ziiiinnnnggg
Couped_up'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:43 PM   #3
s14unimog
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (22)
s14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Send a message via AIM to s14unimog
Quote:
Well then that pulley wont work. If you were to compare the length of the moment arm of the s13 pulley on the s13 throttle body, with the length of the moment arm of an s14 pulley (installed backwards from the way its installed on an s14 throttle body) installed on an s13 throttle body, the way you have it, its about 4 times longer and the bending loads are 4 times more.

Since I'm blind and cant see that this is the only configurstion that will work the easiest thing to do, is make a pedal stop. This will limit the force pulling/bending on the end of the axle once its fully rotated and resting on its stop.

Or you can disregard my advise and do nothing and keep hoping for a different result.
You haven't looked at an S14 SR in a minute. It is installed just as I have it on my S13 SR throttle body. I don't think the moment arm is actually any different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lok View Post
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results." I am guessing you have already tried moving the mounting point for the throttle cable?
Obviously, and I don't plan to just re-install as without some alteration. I have not move the pull point yet. If you look at the first picture, its pretty nicely lined up. I really think I'm either over pulling the cable a few thousands or the S14 throttle body has some differences

Anybody have any pictures of an S14 SR throttle body?

SHIFTlock_slide to side

d3m3rs0n: if i have a baby im naming it Brandons Fault Emerson
s14unimog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:11 PM   #4
mct3351
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (4)
mct3351 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
You are right about how the s14 pulley is installed on an s14 throttle body but the pulley sits closer to the throttle body on the s14 than the s13. See the "free body diagram" for clarification on what I mean by bending. The throttle cable pull is much closer to the throttle body on both the s13 and s14 from the factory than what your working with. The yellow shows an exageration of how the axle is bending once the stop is reached. The OEM s13 pulley is deeply concave to move the pulling action closer to the throttle body.
mct3351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:27 AM   #5
s14unimog
Nissanaholic!

s14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
You are right about how the s14 pulley is installed on an s14 throttle body but the pulley sits closer to the throttle body on the s14 than the s13. See the "free body diagram" for clarification on what I mean by bending. The throttle cable pull is much closer to the throttle body on both the s13 and s14 from the factory than what your working with. The yellow shows an exageration of how the axle is bending once the stop is reached. The OEM s13 pulley is deeply concave to move the pulling action closer to the throttle body.picture
I'm not denying that the S14 pulley, installed on an S13 throttle body, doesn't increases the leverage advantage on the center shaft, I even brought that up myself when responding to Def. What I am trying to illustrate that there is more to just slapping on an S14 pulley to cure the cable alignment issues with a GReddy style manifold. And more recently to discount those who think I've got it installed incorrectly.

The main objective behind this thread is to bring to light the problems with this commonly recognized quick solution for the GReddy style manifold. Thanks for the illustration, and I'm quite aware of what you are describing, but like I said, this is/has been a common solution for this manifold. Apparently more support is needed for this assembly.

My new throttle body will be here in a few days. I'll get some real numbers and see if its an adjustment issue or if more support is needed. I think the pulley is a great solution but might require additional support.

SHIFTlock_slide to side

Old 12-20-2010, 09:40 AM   #6
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Originally Posted by s14unimog View Post
I'm not denying that the S14 pulley, installed on an S13 throttle body, doesn't increases the leverage advantage on the center shaft, I even brought that up myself when responding to Def. What I am trying to illustrate that there is more to just slapping on an S14 pulley to cure the cable alignment issues with a GReddy style manifold. And more recently to discount those who think I've got it installed incorrectly.

Ahhh I see what they are saying about your pulley, it's simply way to far over to work as OEM...there ahs certainly got to be an additional 'stress' on the length of that rod being so far over, compared to where OEM is.

Here are pics of mine...granted not the best, but I've NEVER had an issue:

Pics from a few years back:

Edit: Here I zoomed in (I know quality sucks, but you can see haha)

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:10 PM   #7
s14unimog
Nissanaholic!

yeah I'm thinking I might machine a support bearing; with a brass or bronze journal to support the outer end, or add some strength to the center shaft. I see you made a bracket they allowed you to retain the S13 pulley. I'll keep that in mind, since I know I've got an S13 one around here somewhere, if I can't mfg. a more rigid setup.

SHIFTlock_slide to side