Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-07-2017, 06:50 PM   #1
feito
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
feito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
What are yall's opinion on these oil coolers?

Just a little rant here, and some food for thought perhaps.

I like stuff that serves a function, and and at the same time looks good.
I am the kind of person that as cars get newer, the more I hate them. Kinda like an old man, a 30yo one... Cheap materials everywhere and a bunch of useless shit and hollow huge body panels. I was working on a newish maxima the other day, god how that thing is ugly and humongous!
So, anyway, I am a big fan of the concept of having a cooler core that serves as a grill. Primitive cars did it for a while with their radiators (beautiful polished materials), and even a couple decades ago some 18 wheeler tractors (kw) where using a/c condensers as grills, known as grilldensers.
Now, we always see all these ricers (maybe some legit racers?) installing huge oil coolers on front of their grills or bumpers, and while it looks fugly, it does serve a function, especially at the track. A long time ago I had a fc oil cooler, I though maybe I could fit it where the grill goes or on my usdm kouki front bumper opening, but it didnt fit neither, but they are beautiful coolers and I've read they are very efficient.
A few weeks ago I decided to do a little research to see if anybody produces a cooler that works as a grill, and boom! There's this company on AU that produces "grilllcoolers" for some nissans. I dont know if they're still active, but their page is still up.
Their name is ARE (aluminum radiators and engineering)

What do you all think about something like this?

Last edited by feito; 09-09-2017 at 02:17 PM..
feito is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2017, 08:26 PM   #2
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
derass is making a name for him/her selfderass is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
That's 80's JDM sytle. Think Hakosuka Skyline. I think it looks cool, but probably wouldn't do it to mine if I had one. Personal preference I suppose, but I always choose function over form.

I was considering an oil cooler to help with water temps during trackdays. Take heat out of the engine however possible. So they certainly are beneficial in that sense.

Just need to consider thermostatic vs regular. The majority of engine wear occurs on startup as all of the oil passages are not yet pressurized. A thermostatic oil cooler keeps that part of the system closed until the oil has reached operating temperature, well after the motor has been running. An oil cooler without a thermostat just adds to the amount of time that it takes for the entire engine to be pressurized with oil, accelerating wear.

So an oil cooler without a thermostat might be fine for a track car that gets started a couple of times per month and not wear down the engine too badly. However, a daily driver that you start a couple times per day would wear down much more quickly and would certainly benefit from a thermostatic kit. It would have to be a weekend warrior that sees track time, otherwise an oil cooler on a car that just cruises around is a waste of money, IMO.

GReddy sells a thermostatic sandwich plate that could easily be combined with an ISR oil kit for a great budget setup. Or the full Greddy kit, or the just the ISR kit.

Finally, those oil cooler cores are small enough to fit behind the bumper in an opening. They're more of a square shape. You wouldn't try those same long, thin rectangles cores that you see hanging on the outside of those old school cars.

edit: I just went on some big rant and didn't answer your question about mounting the core in / behind the grille. That would certainly work. The only thing the oil cooler system needs is airflow and you would definitely get it there. I'm just not sure how it would look, so that's up to you.

Another thing to consider is keeping the oil lines short, but I suppose the length difference between mounting the core in a bumper opening or the grille is negligible. So I think you're good there too.
derass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 11:01 PM   #3
feito
Nissanaholic!

feito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymore
Actually, I already have an oil cooler, and I considered everything you mentioned while choosing my setup. In my case, because I was on a budget (as always), and because I wanted to avoid all the extra plumbing, I went with an EARL'S sandwich plate that has a thermostat built in:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ear-502erl
that along with a derale oil cooler and some soft hoses did the trick for me. I am planning on changing to SS braided hoses in the future, but that's what came with the kit that I found locally and has been doing fine for the year I've been dd'ing so it's fine for now.

A couple inches on front of the passenger side tire with the oem splash shield protecting it from small debris, short hoses, thermostatic, big cooler, behind a big bumper opening (jdm kouki bumper turn signal opening), I think it's pretty effective.

I also have an oil press gauge and can tell that the oil temp isn't taking forever to reach operating temp, a few blocks driving to work and the press has already dropped to operating temp specs.
But back on topic, Really? Is this concept of using coolers shaped like your grill an OG style?
I just love the idea of having as many functional parts as possible. A grill that isn't there just for looks, but it's an actual operating part and looks good. One thing that I wasnt considering was the hose length. Compare to my current setup this would add at least an additional 3' total!! That's a whole lot of extra load on the oil pump.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:07 AM   #4
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The R33 one is pretty neat for sure.
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 02:19 PM   #5
feito
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuzzio View Post
The R33 one is pretty neat for sure.
I agree, really like it. I wonder what a round-tube and fin would look like.
Old 09-09-2017, 04:16 PM   #6
supersayianjim
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
supersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
got a pic of the unit not mounted in the car?
supersayianjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 08:01 PM   #7
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
derass is making a name for him/her selfderass is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Weird, I couldn't see the pictures before. Nevermind what I said about 80's styling. I was thinking of something else. Like this:

derass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 08:19 PM   #8
feito
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by derass View Post
Weird, I couldn't see the pictures before. Nevermind what I said about 80's styling. I was thinking of something else. Like this:
Yeah, I fixed the pictures 'cause they were only visible on computers, not on mobile devices.
What do you think now?
Old 09-10-2017, 05:11 PM   #9
collegekid
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
collegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I see what you are getting at, but I think it would be beneficial to maybe use some of the openings where the fog lights would go.
If you have a stock kouki bumper with no foglights then I would definitely take some measurements and piece together a kit to your needs unless they have a kit for it already that is the size you need.

Someone mentioned something about engine wear occuring before starting the engine since the system isnt pressurized yet, look into Accusump.
this thread is pretty good too

http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=287925

If you are really into cooling and shit then look into ducting with fiberglass.
I've always toyed with the idea of having a front mount, decent radiator, AC, oil cooler, and ducting for fresh air to my front rotor/caliper.

Edit-
to give you my opinion on that grill, I wouldn't do it just because I know that the air exiting your grill cooler is going to be warm/hot air that is going into your radiator/front mount/ ac condenser.
collegekid is offline   Reply With Quote