Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Closed Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 04:15 PM   #1
xptnike
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (11)
xptnike is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Question KA24 sohc to dohc swap, 5speed swap...info please, ima noob...

Wsup zilvia, just to let you guys know in advanced just in case people want to put me on blast or something. I was wondering if it was legal in california and the US to swap out a sohc ka24 from your 89-90 240sx with a dohc ka24 from a newer year? One of my friends said that it won't pass smog. I was also wondering if it was legal or illegal to do a 5speed swap on an auto 240sx? My other friend said that it might not be legal to do so due to emmisions. Thanks, let me know.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2008, 04:27 PM   #2
rocksteady_racer
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
rocksteady_racer is making a name for him/her selfrocksteady_racer is making a name for him/her selfrocksteady_racer is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to rocksteady_racer Send a message via Yahoo to rocksteady_racer
s13

What? how does the transmission affect emissions? Unless California has some ridiculous laws than I don't understand the problem. It's legal to swap motors all you want. Why would a dohc motor be any different for the smog test? I don't understand why that would affect the emissions? Am I missing something about Cali laws or something? I know here in PA it's legal to swap in any motor in to your car as long as you pass inspection and emissions every year. I haven't seen a shop to care yet but I have seen a lot of stupid cops episodes where the give people tickets because they say they are set up for race use or some bs in Cali so maybe cali laws are weird. But especially considering it's the same chassis and slightly different motor I still don't see why it would matter. I wasn't trying to sound harsh but the rest of the US it's perfectly fine to do all of those things, then again cali is really weird LoL.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:31 PM   #3
ecuastyle84
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
ecuastyle84 is a name known to allecuastyle84 is a name known to allecuastyle84 is a name known to allecuastyle84 is a name known to allecuastyle84 is a name known to allecuastyle84 is a name known to allecuastyle84 is a name known to allecuastyle84 is a name known to allecuastyle84 is a name known to allecuastyle84 is a name known to allecuastyle84 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ecuastyle84
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksteady_racer View Post
What? how does the transmission affect emissions? Unless California has some ridiculous laws than I don't understand the problem. It's legal to swap motors all you want. Why would a dohc motor be any different for the smog test? I don't understand why that would affect the emissions? Am I missing something about Cali laws or something? I know here in PA it's legal to swap in any motor in to your car as long as you pass inspection and emissions every year. I haven't seen a shop to care yet but I have seen a lot of stupid cops episodes where the give people tickets because they say they are set up for race use or some bs in Cali so maybe cali laws are weird. But especially considering it's the same chassis and slightly different motor I still don't see why it would matter. I wasn't trying to sound harsh but the rest of the US it's perfectly fine to do all of those things, then again cali is really weird LoL.
agreed
msglength
Old 11-23-2008, 04:33 PM   #4
Wake
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (8)
Wake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Wake Send a message via Yahoo to Wake
mod please just lock this thread and make him search. neither is illegal as long as you have all the O.E. smog equiptment and it works. most shops wont even know you did a 5sp swap if you do it right.
S.P.P.S. Member #00
**CoUpe LOve** Member #00
Old 11-23-2008, 04:54 PM   #5
xptnike
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (11)
xptnike is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
alright, thanks for the input...
Old 11-23-2008, 05:12 PM   #6
Phlip
Yes, I look like that

Trader Rating: (19)
Phlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
I am gonna quell the bleeding...
If you have all smog equipment for your engine changeover, no problems will occur.
You're not dealing in a car that would throw a code with such a swap, so again, no issues.
All should be fine, I will close this before anyone comes in to compensate for their afflictions with smallcox. Hang out a while and you will know why you should thank me.

And I write too!
Closed Thread