Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-18-2016, 07:41 PM   #20101
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (53)
Mister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgs_7 View Post
Whats the best way to go about purchasing/obtaining carpet for my S14?

I bought a black one from an S15
Old 08-19-2016, 04:23 AM   #20102
I'm Redline
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
I'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllThingsGravy View Post
Anyone know what I should be concerned about when buying a ka24de that's been sitting in a garage for 3 years?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk
When any engine sits for three years, fluids, as in oil, all goes to the lowest point it can. The engine bearings become a risky proposition to long term reliability. Upon start up, even letting the oil flow through is not enough to insure this will not come back to bit you in the ass.
Buy the engine, put it on a stand, flip it over, and replace the crank bearings and rod bearings. Cover everything you can with assembly lube. Open the valve cover and do the same, making sure the lube is on everything. Then rotate it and make sure it is well lubed before start up. OR, you can have it sit for a year in a paint shop like mine, then run it for maybe 500 miles before you have issues
Old 08-19-2016, 09:10 AM   #20103
AllThingsGravy
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
AllThingsGravy is making a name for him/her selfAllThingsGravy is making a name for him/her selfAllThingsGravy is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Redline View Post
When any engine sits for three years, fluids, as in oil, all goes to the lowest point it can. The engine bearings become a risky proposition to long term reliability. Upon start up, even letting the oil flow through is not enough to insure this will not come back to bit you in the ass.
Buy the engine, put it on a stand, flip it over, and replace the crank bearings and rod bearings. Cover everything you can with assembly lube. Open the valve cover and do the same, making sure the lube is on everything. Then rotate it and make sure it is well lubed before start up. OR, you can have it sit for a year in a paint shop like mine, then run it for maybe 500 miles before you have issues
Then engine is still in a running car, just the car sat non op for 3 years in a garage. It started up just fine and ran great, just I want to be cautious. Lord knows I can't afford a rod knock or such.
AllThingsGravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 08:17 AM   #20104
I'm Redline
Zilvia Addict

I'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to all
Quote:
Then engine is still in a running car, just the car sat non op for 3 years in a garage. It started up just fine and ran great, just I want to be cautious. Lord knows I can't afford a rod knock or such.
Three years non op. Do yourself a huge favor. Run Seafoam through the oil, then run heavier oil, like a 60 weight Redline. This will get good oil into all the dry bearing better. After 100 miles of seafoam and 60 weight, change it out for the normal 20-50 or 30 whatever you want to run. This will help, but my bet is after sitting three years, here is what is going on internally
Bearings have dried out, these are cast iron areas with steel, corrosion, which may be scuffed out upon start up is still there. It will run fine, but those bearing surfaces will sooner than later go south and you will hear a deeper bearing squeal coming from either rod or crank bearings. Just thoughts on long term issues with the iron blocks that I have seen over time, and found upon opening up to rebuild
Old 08-20-2016, 11:25 AM   #20105
AllThingsGravy
Zilvia Addict

AllThingsGravy is making a name for him/her selfAllThingsGravy is making a name for him/her selfAllThingsGravy is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Redline View Post
Three years non op. Do yourself a huge favor. Run Seafoam through the oil, then run heavier oil, like a 60 weight Redline. This will get good oil into all the dry bearing better. After 100 miles of seafoam and 60 weight, change it out for the normal 20-50 or 30 whatever you want to run. This will help, but my bet is after sitting three years, here is what is going on internally
Bearings have dried out, these are cast iron areas with steel, corrosion, which may be scuffed out upon start up is still there. It will run fine, but those bearing surfaces will sooner than later go south and you will hear a deeper bearing squeal coming from either rod or crank bearings. Just thoughts on long term issues with the iron blocks that I have seen over time, and found upon opening up to rebuild
Yep can't risk this engine exploding I'm gonna pass on the car lol thanks for the info man!

Old 08-20-2016, 01:23 PM   #20106
ZenkiKid
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
ZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
S13 related:

What other cars use the same side mirror glass? I ran maxima ones for the blue tint but one of them fell off. If I can't find another one in the junkyard (or another s13) is there another 80/90s Nissan that has the same glass? Like an Altima or a Sentra or something?
ZenkiKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 04:01 PM   #20107
ultimateirving
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
ultimateirving is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenkiKid View Post
S13 related:

What other cars use the same side mirror glass? I ran maxima ones for the blue tint but one of them fell off. If I can't find another one in the junkyard (or another s13) is there another 80/90s Nissan that has the same glass? Like an Altima or a Sentra or something?
Check oreilly or auto zone and compare part numbers. Also a side mirror glass cant be that expensive not to try and buy online
Old 08-20-2016, 04:02 PM   #20108
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

derass is making a name for him/her selfderass is making a name for him/her self
I've seen new, aftermarket side mirror lenses on eBay.
derass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 11:08 PM   #20109
Fernandoo14

Fernandoo14 is an unknown quantity at this point
KA New kouki lots of codes

Hey guys, i just bought a 1997 kouki. I am trying to learn more about cars thus my reason for buying it. My car threw 9 codes. it was originally a auto and it was converted to manual. The guy i bought it from did a shitty job with the wiring and said the car still has the auto ECU. i was wondering if these would be the reason most of these codes are thrown. most of the codes are emissions based. If anyone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated.

codes:
P0505 idle control system malfunction
P1441 Manufacturer control auxiliary emissions controls
P1605 Manufacturer control auxiliary inputs auxiliary outputs
P0135 02 sensor heater circuit malfunction (bank 1 sensor 1 )
P0141 02 sensor heater circuit malfunction (bank 1 sensor 2 )
P0446 Evap emissions control system vent circuit malf
P1400 Manufacturer control auxiliary emissions controls
P1105 Manufacturer control fuel air metering
Fernandoo14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 11:21 PM   #20110
rawgarage
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (75)
rawgarage is making a name for him/her selfrawgarage is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 75 reviews
Get a manual ECU and delete emissions since you're in Vegas
rawgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 03:11 AM   #20111
91stockcoupe
Leaky Injector

91stockcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point
So my drivers side rear wheel clanks a lot when I hit a bump and I accelerate. It's pretty rough, the more gas I give it the harder it does it but if I keep on the gas it'll go away at higher rpms. Wheel also has a lot of in and out play when I push on it when it's jacked up. I already replaced the wheel bearing so I'm not sure what it could be, maybe the axle? Car is a 91 s13.
91stockcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:25 AM   #20112
aymaeid
Zilvia Junkie

aymaeid is making his/her stupidity well-knownaymaeid is making his/her stupidity well-knownaymaeid is making his/her stupidity well-knownaymaeid is making his/her stupidity well-knownaymaeid is making his/her stupidity well-known
I desperately need a rear hub and bearing on my s14 SE. question, since it has ABS, there seem to be hubs online with small wiring harness attached. is this the case? will my SE with ABS require a specific hub/bearing assembly or can i simply use any of that year. any help would be greatly appreciated.
aymaeid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:36 AM   #20113
[240sx]
Zilvia Addict

[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by aymaeid View Post
I desperately need a rear hub and bearing on my s14 SE. question, since it has ABS, there seem to be hubs online with small wiring harness attached. is this the case? will my SE with ABS require a specific hub/bearing assembly or can i simply use any of that year. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Nope. Rears are the same between Abs and non ABS. Online image is probably just generic.

Sent from my SM-G930P
[240sx] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 09:50 AM   #20114
aymaeid
Zilvia Junkie

aymaeid is making his/her stupidity well-knownaymaeid is making his/her stupidity well-knownaymaeid is making his/her stupidity well-knownaymaeid is making his/her stupidity well-knownaymaeid is making his/her stupidity well-known
Quote:
Originally Posted by [240sx] View Post
Nope. Rears are the same between Abs and non ABS. Online image is probably just generic.

Sent from my SM-G930P
thank you kind sir
aymaeid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 10:51 AM   #20115
zombiewolf513
BANNED

Trader Rating: (6)
zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by aymaeid View Post
The standard 1995/96 is four lug and the SE is five lug IIRC
zombiewolf513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:25 PM   #20116
DailySX

DailySX is an unknown quantity at this point
My passenger side view mirror just fell off and needs new adhesive to be reattached. Has this happened to anybody and what adhesive did you guys used? I already cleaned off the old putty/poster-tack whatever adhesive that was on there.
DailySX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:58 PM   #20117
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Trader Rating: (41)
dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailySX View Post
My passenger side view mirror just fell off and needs new adhesive to be reattached. Has this happened to anybody and what adhesive did you guys used? I already cleaned off the old putty/poster-tack whatever adhesive that was on there.
3M double sided tape (the dark grey kind, just dont touch it with your fingers or youll ruin it).... or LOTS of super glue

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
dorkidori_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 09:24 PM   #20118
DailySX

DailySX is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks! just bought some of the 3M exterior attachment tape. Hopefully that's the right one and will last a few months.. or years. lol
DailySX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 09:54 PM   #20119
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailySX View Post
Thanks! just bought some of the 3M exterior attachment tape. Hopefully that's the right one and will last a few months.. or years. lol
make sure to clean BOTH surfaces THOROUGHLY for proper bonding!!! i cant stress that enough!

Old 08-23-2016, 04:13 PM   #20120
black'N'proud
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
black'N'proud is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Sorry if this has been asked before, but is a tune needed on a sr20det with walbro 255 fuel pump and greddy intake manifold? I'm asking because my car is still running very rich I think and has a hard time hitting boost. Also if a tune is needed would a wideband and fuel pressure regulator be useful to install before it gets tuned? I'm still looking for any vacumm leaks and the ecu isn't showing any fault codes but I just thought "well maybe it needs a tune." Thanks in advance for the advice.
Old 08-23-2016, 04:37 PM   #20121
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by black'N'proud View Post
Sorry if this has been asked before, but is a tune needed on a sr20det with walbro 255 fuel pump and greddy intake manifold? I'm asking because my car is still running very rich I think and has a hard time hitting boost. Also if a tune is needed would a wideband and fuel pressure regulator be useful to install before it gets tuned? I'm still looking for any vacumm leaks and the ecu isn't showing any fault codes but I just thought "well maybe it needs a tune." Thanks in advance for the advice.
you may have a boost leak POST turbo... if you are reusing screw clamps, thats your first problem. those things are only good for one or two uses. also, cheap STRAIGHT BOLT t-bolt clamps suck as well.

an adjustable FPR with gauge should always be installed with an upgraded fuel pump as the fuel pressure being output will usually increase (with walbros, it jumps up to 55-60psi on an OE SR FPR).

curious though, how do you know your car is running rich?

Old 08-23-2016, 07:52 PM   #20122
black'N'proud
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
black'N'proud is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkidori_s13 View Post
you may have a boost leak POST turbo... if you are reusing screw clamps, thats your first problem. those things are only good for one or two uses. also, cheap STRAIGHT BOLT t-bolt clamps suck as well.

an adjustable FPR with gauge should always be installed with an upgraded fuel pump as the fuel pressure being output will usually increase (with walbros, it jumps up to 55-60psi on an OE SR FPR).

curious though, how do you know your car is running rich?
Well first off let me say excuse my ignorance because I'm probably way off as to why I think it's running rich but I'm trying to learn all this as I go. I thought that if there is a vacumm leak then it would cause the ecu to compensate for the extra air coming in or leaking out, making the ecu add extra fuel that was being burned out the exhaust making the occasional popping noises.

The color of the smoke is white but I don't think it's a blown headgasket Since I just replaced it with a stock one. Also it doesn't have a "sweet" smell to it and I'm never low on coolant. It doesn't smoke all the time and it won't smoke on a cold start or any other time I've started it. Usually white smoke from the exhaust happens when I'm sitting at idle and it idles at a solid 1500 rpm's all the time. After driving it for a while I can wipe a rag around the inside of the exhaust tip and it's it seems like there is a small amount of oil in there. I thought if its burning oil the smoke would have a blue tint to it and I'd be a little low on oil. Sorry for the way to long post but I appreciate all of your advice.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:41 PM   #20123
osk94

osk94 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey fellow S-Chassis owners, I have kind of an odd scenario. So recently I swapped out my left and right motor mounts and while I was raising the engine I was so focused on not hitting any hard fuel lines or vaccum hoses from the firewall that I completetly ignored the fan blades. In other words while I was raising my engine from the bottom of the oil pan to get some clearance, my fan blade was gradually raising the fan shroud and eventually broke just the top left piece where the charcoal canistee hoses are routed. Other than that the lower and everyrhing else but the upper plastic piece near the upper rad broke. My question is should I worry about my water pump being damaged from my fan hitting the fam shroud as I raised it or should I disregard it since it takes little to no force to break plastic. None of the fan blades nor the top pieces of the fan were damaged while it was being raises against the shroud. I just don't wanna have a pully being put of balance and causing damage to it but visibly I see no problem with the pully or fan clutch
osk94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:45 PM   #20124
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
It's probably fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:55 PM   #20125
osk94

osk94 is an unknown quantity at this point
Ok cool. Pretty much what just broke was the upper part of the shroud because of tha fan raising it and eventually cracked it due to the force of the blade pushing it upwards. I let the car idle for a while and the temp stayed where it should be (under the white tick mark on the temp needle gauge). Just wanted to take precaution
osk94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:18 PM   #20126
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (53)
Mister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
It's probably fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I second this opinion
Old 08-26-2016, 10:05 AM   #20127
AllThingsGravy
Zilvia Addict

So I bought this 240 that the PO overheated because of coolant hose under the intake mani dripped out coolant. I'm worried about a blown HG. The oil is milky and there is nothing under the oil cap but when I took off the intake mani I saw coolant in one of the valves. Should I just replace the HG since I already took off the intake mani or just see if it's fine? I'm probably gonna swap the HG anyways but just wondering.

Old 08-26-2016, 10:19 AM   #20128
[240sx]
Zilvia Addict

[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
...Should I just replace the HG since I already took off the intake mani or just see if it's fine? I'm probably gonna swap the HG anyways but just wondering.
Sounds like you answered your own question, but If you have the means, you could perform a leak down/ compression check.

Sent from my SM-G930P
Old 08-26-2016, 10:31 AM   #20129
AllThingsGravy
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by [240sx] View Post
Sounds like you answered your own question, but If you have the means, you could perform a leak down/ compression check.

Sent from my SM-G930P
Car is dismantled already, starter is unplugged and such....

Old 08-26-2016, 10:44 AM   #20130
[240sx]
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Car is dismantled already, starter is unplugged and such....

If the valves are still in, a leak down can still be performed.

Sent from my SM-G930P