Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:37 PM   #1
Almedarj
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Almedarj is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Almedarj
KA KA24DE Performance

Okay i'm building my ka to be all motor dd you know bolt ons and some head work i'm looking for quailty parts and i'm not finding to much support for the ka i would really apperciate some help.
Almedarj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2009, 08:41 PM   #2
BoostedCoupe
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
BoostedCoupe can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
na ka's are expansive to build and pretty much worthless. just do a stock sr style turbo setup. t25 370cc side mount etc.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:17 PM   #3
Almedarj
Leaky Injector

i'm looking to reach 200 to 210hp to the wheels thats all i really need for a dd
Old 02-09-2009, 12:20 AM   #4
slo_slideways
Leaky Injector

slo_slideways is an unknown quantity at this point
200-210 at the wheels is gonna be pretty expensive for a KA...

Im building a NA KA and Im hoping for about 190 at the wheels. Forged high comp pistons, ($800 or so), dual exhaust cams, (cost me taco bell), fully rebuilt head and block, block will be be bored .030 over, new valves and springs (a couple hundred for all).

So total Ill be in about just over a grand for parts only, Im doing the block and head work myself so if you have that done thats at least another few hundred for that if you dont have access to machining equipment. Plus fuel management, ECU tuning etc. etc...

After that, Im hoping for 190-195 at the wheels. For over 200 expect to be looking ITB's, full standalone, and some where in the 3k range for around 200 whp.

It can be done, but turbo is gonna be alot cheaper and you can hit 250whp pretty easily...

EDIT: Also, search the forums a bit, this has been covered quite a bit. NA+KA= $$$$$ x pain-in-the-ass
Old 02-09-2009, 12:53 AM   #5
OptionZero
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
OptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to OptionZero
u can't get 200rwhp on a KA that's going to be DD'd

The dude with the green zenki (RBsomething was his name) had ITB's and a standalone fuel management system and i don't think he got to 200 w/o a bitch load of work

get an SR or buy a different car
OptionZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 05:13 AM   #6
soreballz
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (22)
soreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Send a message via AIM to soreballz
210whp and you wanna DD it? You're talking about a KA24DE, not a K24... Ain't happening.

Intake + 3inch exhaust + header + dual exhaust cams + light flywheel + aluminum driveshaft + light wheels = more than enough to have fun with a KA on a day to day basis.
Last time I checked this is a Zilvia not a fucking group session to deal with self-esteem issues where everyone is a winner and cares about you, your individuality and lack of taste.
soreballz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:54 AM   #7
redpotatoes
Zilvia Member

redpotatoes is on a distinguished road
You ain't gonna do 200whp without a lot of work and money. For a DD, I would suggest a few bolt-ons and thats it but don't expect big gains.
redpotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:11 AM   #8
BoostedCoupe
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
BoostedCoupe can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Like i said just do a t25 turbo set up. You will get 205-210 whp and it will be a reliable dd aslong as you have a good tune.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:15 PM   #9
Almedarj
Leaky Injector

okay then so 200 is to much for a ka what are some reallistic numbers i can be seeing with bolt ons and high comp
Old 02-09-2009, 03:20 PM   #10
Almedarj
Leaky Injector

wow hondas can reach 200hp on 1.6 liters and be a dd why cant we with 2.4 liters and a ass load of work is it because of a poor flowing head thats so wrong to me or is it because of low comp
Old 02-09-2009, 03:44 PM   #11
enkei2k
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: (29)
enkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
that what you get for a truck motor...

xquizitditz
enkei2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 04:03 PM   #12
soreballz
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (22)
soreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Send a message via AIM to soreballz
Poor head design, poor electronics, and a half balanced crankshaft. Thats why.
Last time I checked this is a Zilvia not a fucking group session to deal with self-esteem issues where everyone is a winner and cares about you, your individuality and lack of taste.
soreballz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:19 PM   #13
Slo_Slidewayz

Slo_Slidewayz will become famous soon enoughSlo_Slidewayz will become famous soon enoughSlo_Slidewayz will become famous soon enoughSlo_Slidewayz will become famous soon enoughSlo_Slidewayz will become famous soon enough
^^ What he said...

With every bolt on possible, Im thinking youre looking at about 150-160ish... Add to that some light wieght shiz (wheels, flywheel, 1-piece driveshaft, etc etc) you will have plenty of pick up to fool around with on a day-to-day basis.

Once you bring "high comp" into the mix, thats when it gets really pricey. Fuel management, ECU, tuning, and gas alone are just askin for lots of dollas lol
Old 02-10-2009, 07:29 PM   #14
rex2sx
Zilvia Member

rex2sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almedarj View Post
wow hondas can reach 200hp on 1.6 liters and be a dd why cant we with 2.4 liters and a ass load of work is it because of a poor flowing head thats so wrong to me or is it because of low comp
Sorry homie, not true. Its about just as hard. Hondas B18c1 GSR motor will barely make 200 with I/H/E/C, ~180 or 190. All that together with a tune is hitting 3k for a motor thats going to be a pain Dding. So 1.6 cant even touch that, not to mention MOST 1.6s are SOHC. If we were talking about 2.0+ K series thatd be a different story. But since were in nissan well go back to that...

Half balanced crankshaft eh? Why does a big motor have to be built so poorly.? Truck motors should be torquey!
rex2sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:35 PM   #15
BlackRedX

BlackRedX is on the path to ruinBlackRedX is on the path to ruin
Quote:
Originally Posted by enkei2k View Post

Its not a truck motor. It was built from the ground up by Nissan of Japan and first appeared in the 240SX as the KA24E in 1988 as a 1989 with, "9.1:1 compression ratio, outputting approximately 150 hp" - Basics > Engine > KA24E - Nissan 240SX Performance Tuning

It didn't appear in a truck until 1990 as the KA24E in the Nissan D21 pickup hardbody. Before that they used the Z24 engine. The KA engines that came in the Altimas and pickups were all made in the U.S.A. until 2001. They have different flow and headwork done to them. In which case the 240SX(only offered in the U.S.A.)was given the "performance" N/A engine. Similiar output on the scale but better flow, overall.

o.o oh yeah. Its tough to get 200whp out of KA either way. for as much money as you're putting into the NA r00t, you might as well just do alittle headwork and put a turbo on the car and run it at like 7psi for 2 months then bump it to 10psi.
BlackRedX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:01 PM   #16
The_Doctor
Leaky Injector

The_Doctor is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by enkei2k View Post
If the KA is a truck motor, the SR is a minivan motor...
Nissan Liberty
Nissan Serena

Look them up.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:04 AM   #17
redsx13
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
redsx13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Doctor View Post
If the KA is a truck motor, the SR is a minivan motor...
Nissan Liberty
Nissan Serena

Look them up.
the sr may be a minivan motor but i assure you that the sr20det is not. That would be one hell of a minivan.
redsx13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:11 AM   #18
redpotatoes
Zilvia Member

redpotatoes is on a distinguished road
Here we go again, the famous ka-sr battle...

I thought this was discuss and done by now...

Please close this thread, it becomes annoying...
redpotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:20 AM   #19
redsx13
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpotatoes View Post
You ain't gonna do 200whp without a lot of work and money. For a DD, I would suggest a few bolt-ons and thats it but don't expect big gains.
My buddy who has raced in multiple drift events and worked for Full Race, actually just droped a ka-t in his car a few months ago. He has raced SR's for years and he really likes his KA. alot of torque and hardly any turbo lag. It is making around 300hp to the wheels with mostly stock internals and a fat turbo.

I say get yourself a big turbo, some injectors, a fmic, a good management system, and have it tuned and you should be good to go.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:47 PM   #20
Almedarj
Leaky Injector

okay now my my other car its a ka24e i have a sound similar to the timing chain but i can see the lower pulley shake back and forth like a mofo could that just be my eyes and actually be just the chain
Old 02-11-2009, 09:58 PM   #21
The_Doctor
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsx13 View Post
the sr may be a minivan motor but i assure you that the sr20det is not. That would be one hell of a minivan.
...I said look them up. Both had the sr20det

One hell of a minivan? The sr gets 200 at the crank stock...thats not much.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:50 PM   #22
98s14inaz
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almedarj View Post
i'm looking to reach 200 to 210hp to the wheels thats all i really need for a dd
Not going to happen...especially with a dd. It's been tried and done to death and most of those who tried gave up and or became broke in the process.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:34 AM   #23
redsx13
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Doctor View Post
...I said look them up. Both had the sr20det

One hell of a minivan? The sr gets 200 at the crank stock...thats not much.
Why are you so adamant about defending the KA24? Let’s face it; it’s simply not a high performance motor. Why would people even waste their time with SR if they didn't offer some sort of a benefit? Ok, so there are some yuppies who throw SR's in their cars just to say they have one, but overall it is simply a better motor, with more options performance wise.

Let’s just say that both motors performed equally the same, the fact that the KA24de weighs more than the vq35de would normally kill the deal for me.

for those of you who are not familiar with engine model #'s the VQ35DE was used in the 350z, it is a V6 and pushed 300hp. Line that up with the Inline 4 @ 150hp KA24DE in the 240sx and maybe you will get my point.

Ka24de- 150hp- 388Lbs
Vq35de- 300hp- 330lbs

you know what really sucks though? for those of you that love your light little aluminum block SR's, well its not very light afterall. its only 3lbs lighter than the ka.

ha ha, you weren’t expecting that where you!

Last edited by redsx13; 02-12-2009 at 01:01 AM..
Old 02-17-2009, 08:17 PM   #24
The_Doctor
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Why are you so adamant about defending the KA24? Let’s face it; it’s simply not a high performance motor. Why would people even waste their time with SR if they didn't offer some sort of a benefit? Ok, so there are some yuppies who throw SR's in their cars just to say they have one, but overall it is simply a better motor, with more options performance wise.

Let’s just say that both motors performed equally the same, the fact that the KA24de weighs more than the vq35de would normally kill the deal for me.

for those of you who are not familiar with engine model #'s the VQ35DE was used in the 350z, it is a V6 and pushed 300hp. Line that up with the Inline 4 @ 150hp KA24DE in the 240sx and maybe you will get my point.

Ka24de- 150hp- 388Lbs
Vq35de- 300hp- 330lbs

you know what really sucks though? for those of you that love your light little aluminum block SR's, well its not very light afterall. its only 3lbs lighter than the ka.

Well now your comparing apples to oranges. The Vq35 is in a different league, both design wise and DISPLACEMENT wise.
Also, it comes in a $30K car and first hit the streets (of japan) in 2000 compared to the sr20det which came in a max $20K car and first hit the streets in 1989.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:25 PM   #25
murda-c
Post Whore!

murda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to murda-c Send a message via MSN to murda-c
Quote:

Yeah but once you add all the piping and turbo accessories the difference will increase alot more.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:36 PM   #26
sparticus102

sparticus102 is an unknown quantity at this point
If u want to increase your horsepower do everything that they have been telling u, but i do have to disagree about the popularity on the ka24de they are strong motors if u take care of them. I'm doing the exact same thing as u as in building the stock ka, but u should also put on 3in exhaust with down pipe and test pipe. If u do turbo charge it i recommend buying zex spark plugs they make a big difference, along with a msd blaster coil and a igniter chip believe me everything makes a difference!
sparticus102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:05 AM   #27
Mangudai
Zilvia Addict

Mangudai is an unknown quantity at this point
You''ll be much happier with a T25 set up bro. You can build an efficient one relatively inexpensive too. I feel you though, I like you originally wanted to go NA but your goals aren't sensible with these engines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparticus102 View Post
If u do turbo charge it i recommend buying zex spark plugs they make a big difference, along with a msd blaster coil and a igniter chip believe me everything makes a difference!
?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRedX View Post
Its not a truck motor. It was built from the ground up by Nissan of Japan and first appeared in the 240SX as the KA24E in 1988 as a 1989 with, "9.1:1 compression ratio, outputting approximately 150 hp" - Basics > Engine > KA24E - Nissan 240SX Performance Tuning

It didn't appear in a truck until 1990 as the KA24E in the Nissan D21 pickup hardbody. Before that they used the Z24 engine. The KA engines that came in the Altimas and pickups were all made in the U.S.A. until 2001. They have different flow and headwork done to them. In which case the 240SX(only offered in the U.S.A.)was given the "performance" N/A engine. Similiar output on the scale but better flow, overall.

o.o oh yeah. Its tough to get 200whp out of KA either way. for as much money as you're putting into the NA r00t, you might as well just do alittle headwork and put a turbo on the car and run it at like 7psi for 2 months then bump it to 10psi.

Are you saying their heads are better design wise?
Old 02-19-2009, 04:23 AM   #28
CharlesForester

CharlesForester is an unknown quantity at this point
If you want to get over 200 WHP N/A you'll need the following parts

- Injen Cold air intake
$200
- OBX 4-1 header
$150
- Exhaust + highflow cat
$400
- Brian Crower stage 2 cams
$350
- N60 MAF (from Maxima)
$40
- Fidanza lightweight flywheel
$300
- Decently built s14 head
$500
- A/F controller
$250
- ka24e pistons
$200
- Iridium sparkplugs + good wires
$60
- sr20 370cc fuel injectors
$300
- z32 fuel pump
$75
- Aluminum Drive Shaft
$ 300

That's $3,125 excluding labor and Port matching/Polishing.

With all those components, high octane fuel and a great tune - you should easily break 200whp. You might even be as high as 225 whp. The problem is, extracting the HP from the KA without FI is a pain in the ass. It requires a lot of money on parts. It requires a lot of time (or money) on finding the perfect tune. Then you need to basically run race gas so that your engine doesn't detonate with such high-compression and advanced timing. N/A KA is not a DD once you begin raising compression and extreme tuning...
CharlesForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 05:02 AM   #29
Jus Skott
Zilvia Member

Jus Skott can only hope to improveJus Skott can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to Jus Skott
if you only want 2 and change to the wheels and have it NA. just drop an LT1 or LS1 in there and call it a day.
Jus Skott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:33 PM   #30
J90lude
Zilvia Junkie

J90lude J90lude J90lude J90lude J90lude J90lude J90lude J90lude J90lude J90lude J90lude
Boost!!!