Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-24-2022, 06:52 PM   #1
nissankat
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
nissankat is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Adding Power Mirrors to S14 Base

Does anyone know if the wiring is already there? Hoping that I can just add the switch and mirrors but I don't want to go pull these fragile and irreplaceable door panels to check.
nissankat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2022, 08:38 PM   #2
burnsauto
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
burnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to burnsauto
Wait, don't all s14's come with power mirrors already? I looked on nissanparts.cc and both for the base and the se, they have the same part number for a mirror.

BTW, there's a "small questions thread" that's perfect for questions like this. Just a heads up, post little questions like this (ones that have easy answers) and you'll prob get it locked by a mod.
Old 04-25-2022, 08:00 AM   #3
nissankat
Zilvia Member

I'll check that thread out.

No mine is as base as it comes. It had manual mirrors, no interior trunk pop, no rear speakers, no tilt column, no intermediate wipers etc.
Old 04-25-2022, 10:05 AM   #4
collegekid
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
collegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
What in the actual F...?

You're sure that stuff wasn't removed?

Can you take some pics? I want to see your center console.

Does it look like this?
https://img1.croooober.com/api/v1/ph...21004647s0.jpg

collegekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 08:52 PM   #5
nissankat
Zilvia Member

Let me impress you with my basicness.

Had the car since 2003 and it was all stock so nothing was deleted.

No int wipers

Lack of tilt lever

Old 04-26-2022, 06:27 AM   #6
burnsauto
Post Whore!

burnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfection
That's amazing.

So since all those things that your car lacks are factory installed options, I would have to assume that the harness has those spots for the parts to be installed, seeing as even most base models had some options (I did some looking, and while there are cars out there that have NO options on base models, most of them have a few basic things, like mirrors and wipers)

I can't see nissan having a completely different harness just for the sake of options or no options. I may be wrong about it, but I don't see any logic in that.
Old 04-26-2022, 06:44 AM   #7
collegekid
Zilvia Addict

collegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to all
Holy hell. 105k miles, that car is a baby.

So you have to go out and adjust your mirrors MANUALLY?
*MEJ intensifies

I believe you should have the wiring harness already present.
Is there a way you can pull the door panel off?
You should see a little harness in front of the door handle ( approximately 4-6 inches )

I have a picture but my work computer is being difficult right now.

Alternatively, you can remove your center console and you should see an unused plug under the spot it's supposed to be in.
Old 04-26-2022, 06:49 AM   #8
inferno s14
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (8)
inferno s14 is making his/her stupidity well-knowninferno s14 is making his/her stupidity well-knowninferno s14 is making his/her stupidity well-knowninferno s14 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
[QUOTE=nissankat;6416967]Let me impress you with my basicness.

that's crazy but i fuck widdit though.
inferno s14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 09:27 AM   #9
AKADriver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If you flip through the parts diagrams there were a bunch of different body harness variations for S14s. If you have power locks you likely have wiring for power mirrors, but if you don't it's questionable. Not saying it's definitively not there, but the factory did make several wiring harness variations for base cars, option packages, and SEs.

The door harnesses basically have two versions, non power and power. So again if you have power locks and windows you likely have power mirror wiring on the door side. If not you likely don't.

S13s are pretty similar with a further breakdown for ABS/non-ABS and HICAS. I think the ABS ends up on a different chassis subharness for S14. I can say that my manual-everything '93 S13 base isn't really prewired for options it doesn't have for the most part.
AKADriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 10:50 AM   #10
burnsauto
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKADriver View Post
If you flip through the parts diagrams there were a bunch of different body harness variations for S14s. If you have power locks you likely have wiring for power mirrors, but if you don't it's questionable. Not saying it's definitively not there, but the factory did make several wiring harness variations for base cars, option packages, and SEs.

The door harnesses basically have two versions, non power and power. So again if you have power locks and windows you likely have power mirror wiring on the door side. If not you likely don't.

S13s are pretty similar with a further breakdown for ABS/non-ABS and HICAS. I think the ABS ends up on a different chassis subharness for S14. I can say that my manual-everything '93 S13 base isn't really prewired for options it doesn't have for the most part.

Okay, so they did make different harnesses...

I was trying to dig up wiring info on dealers websites but was having trouble, I must of been looking in the wrong spot.
Old 04-28-2022, 10:51 AM   #11
Drama
Zilvia Junkie

Drama is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

With that being said, don't forget about the power window amp differences between '95 and '96+. If it's a '95 get a '95 door harness. Otherwise you can use a '96+ door harness and get matching window switches. I believe all S14's had power windows but not all had power locks.
Old 04-28-2022, 11:54 AM   #12
AKADriver
Post Whore!

AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
Yup. The left side door has 6 harness variants:

24125-70F00: '95 base
-70F02: '95 base w/power locks
-70F03: '95 SE
-70F10: '96-'98 base
-70F12: '96-'98 base w/power locks, SE
-70F13: '97-'98 with keyless entry

The right side (no amp) has 3:

24124-70F00: '95-'98 base
-70F01: '95-'98 base w/power locks, SE
-70F03: '97-'98 with keyless entry
Old 04-28-2022, 01:22 PM   #13
burnsauto
Post Whore!

Man, I'm so happy I have a base S13, way easier to give up on creature comforts.
Old 04-28-2022, 01:43 PM   #14
feito
Nissanaholic!

feito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymore
no PM is a new one to me too. What other rare features, or lack of thereof does this gem has? no airbags? Although i think that's a jdm 94 only. Is there a build thread for this car?
Old 04-28-2022, 06:57 PM   #15
AKADriver
Post Whore!

No intermittent wipers is the real surprise. I've owned two ultra base model S13s, one without even factory A/C, and they still had intermittent wipers.
Old 04-28-2022, 07:05 PM   #16
Agamemnon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (20)
Agamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Quote:
No intermittent wipers is the real surprise. I've owned two ultra base model S13s, one without even factory A/C, and they still had intermittent wipers.
All base model S14s never came with intermittent wipers.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 07:44 PM   #17
nissankat
Zilvia Member

Thank you AKADriver for digging so deep and going as far as listing part numbers. It seems unlikely that the wiring is there since I do not have power locks. I wanted to splurge on some Ganadors but all the ones I have seen come up are power so I thought I would look into adding power mirrors. I will just have to go pull a door panel and check. It honestly doesn't seem that hard to make a harness for them if needed. 3 wires per side, power and ground.

I cant think of any other interesting things that were omitted. I have noticed that it came with black mirrors from the factory on a white car which I don't see much. That may have been part of being such low trim.

The car did have an extensive build thread on a local 240 forum that is long gone now. I did an LS swap back in 2009 and the zilvia thread outlining most of that is below. 2009 was pretty early for the ls swaps and it was much harder back then. I am not sure I would have done the swap had I known back then how collectable these cars would become.

https://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=295274
Old 04-29-2022, 08:15 AM   #18
collegekid
Zilvia Addict

Man, I didn't know they had multiple variants. Learn something new every day.

Don't be regretful of not having a stock KA/"collectible" car.
We bought these to modify and obviously you did what you wanted.
Everything costs more these days. No reason to regret doing something you've enjoyed just because values have jumped.
Old 04-29-2022, 08:57 AM   #19
AKADriver
Post Whore!

There is a market for correct numbers matching stock cars but it's very very few people. There's a bigger contingent of us who like the cars close to stock/light mods/'period correct'/OEM+/etc but... we already own them and our tastes tend to be personal.

A properly sorted LS swap that was done 13 years ago and has bugs worked out is not a bad thing.