Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 12-09-2009, 09:17 AM   #2521
bardabe
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
bardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bardabe
Nice Cage

msglngth

Review Thread
bardabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2009, 02:26 PM   #2522
mkomar24
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (5)
mkomar24 has made poor choicesmkomar24 has made poor choicesmkomar24 has made poor choicesmkomar24 has made poor choicesmkomar24 has made poor choicesmkomar24 has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
With such a tight fit how were you able to weld all the way around the ddor bars where they join to the main hoop? This is just amazing work! I imagine the conversation going like this;

customer: "lets weld in gussets when its done"
you: "nah screw gussets, I think I will just make the cage fit so well that I can weld it directly to the chassis!"
customer: "you win."
mkomar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:34 PM   #2523
MELLO*SOS
LAID OUT

Trader Rating: (1)
MELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Awesome cage Roco. Do you use Bend tech or similar software to lay it out? Lots of hours fitting and welding it looks like.

I'm also curious about how you welded around the doorbars and other stuff super close to the chassis.

Excellent fitment dude, you deserve a beer or 12.
MELLO*SOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:58 PM   #2524
TrIpLe "D"
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
TrIpLe "D" is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
nice work that cage is bad ass and fits well, what is that yellow thang a degree finder? were can u buy one ?
TrIpLe "D" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:01 PM   #2525
roco
Leaky Injector

roco is an unknown quantity at this point
thanks guys,when making the cage that tight welding the bars is quiet difficult, and you end up making more work for your self, theres a few diffrent ways of doing it, but they all have one thing in common,
you have to plan each tube going into the car carefully, plan the position and angle. as the tube you put in may hinder you welding the next. but saying that you still have to maintain a strong structure and have all nodes meeting correctly. all the roof bars, brace bars and all bars on the main cage frame are all tacked in place and then i drop the main hoop (only) through the floor and finnish the welds, i then hike up the frame and theres just enough room to finnish the rear section. the door bars and sill bars are welded 95% around theres just the tiny bit on the inner apex of the joint that cant be got, but that minor flaw is outweighed by the fact the joint is the welded directly tho the car chasis for a good 1 1/2" each way giving more strenght and stiffness.
plus if you build the cage so tight you could technically just tack weld each tube in place and it would probably stay in place. i wouldnt try it though, lol.

@ mello... thanks dude, no didnt use bend tech, i build it out of my head and a measuring tape, i just bought pro there off cris, so looking forward to usein it, apperantly ive been missing out.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:21 PM   #2526
atutt
Zilvia Addict

atutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffman1278 View Post
How is that programs ease of use, compared to programs like autodesk inventor? I can design a cage on Inventor but it's not the quickest thing in the world. Is that program you guys are talking really basic to use?
Like I said. What I posted I made in about 45 mins. I have ZERO experience with ANY kind of computer aided design program...

It doesn't get any easier than this program.
atutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 05:35 PM   #2527
roco
Leaky Injector

like the 4x4 cage attut, similar to the demo. i still have to play around with my bend tech, havent even had time to install it properly yet. looks good though.

@trippleD. i got the anglefinder off protools, they have a few differnt types.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:32 PM   #2528
Chamb-O
Leaky Injector

Chamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the rough
So what does everyone think of subframe connectors on s-13's?

basically built them for a project for school
and I am tying in my main hoop into them

(excuse my nasty MIG beads)
Chamb-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 06:44 PM   #2529
atutt
Zilvia Addict

atutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by roco View Post
like the 4x4 cage attut, similar to the demo. i still have to play around with my bend tech, havent even had time to install it properly yet. looks good though.

@trippleD. i got the anglefinder off protools, they have a few differnt types.

You'll love this program...

I made this... While looking at pics of your white 180 cage...
I was bored and I'm still learning all the buttons and their purpose..
atutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 06:47 PM   #2530
roco
Leaky Injector

feck thats very similar!!! good job...

i must get it sorted and get playing, i say playing as it looks like fun.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:20 PM   #2531
tkocrewsr
Leaky Injector

tkocrewsr is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamb-O View Post
So what does everyone think of subframe connectors on s-13's?

basically built them for a project for school
and I am tying in my main hoop into them

(excuse my nasty MIG beads)
could you pm me somemore pics and dimensions because i am interested in one for my car.
tkocrewsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 01:42 PM   #2532
killer240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
killer240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
i have welded before and people said it was ok for my 1st time.
i wish know how to weld. this thread makes me wana take a welding class and just buy my own welder.
killer240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 02:23 PM   #2533
bloodangels13
Zilvia Junkie

bloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to bloodangels13
loving the sub-frame connector set-up. pics with specs please

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post
This post was brought to you by the number: Rum
And by the letter: Go Fuck Yourself
And also by viewers like you.
bloodangels13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 02:24 PM   #2534
MELLO*SOS
LAID OUT

MELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfection
^ Do it.. Just buy your own welder and start practicing, you'll get the hang of it. A Millermatic 211 would be a good choice. See WeldingWeb™ - Welding forum for pros and enthusiasts - Powered by vBulletin forum for more info on choosing a welder, techniques, etc.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:43 PM   #2535
Chamb-O
Leaky Injector

Chamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodangels13 View Post
loving the sub-frame connector set-up. pics with specs please
well I followed the stock hat channel
I used 2x3 .120 wall for the main frame rails and the rocker extensions
and 1x2 .120 wall for the mid crossmember and notched it an inch for exhaust clearance

Don't have the exact specs on length but its pretty easy to figure out
I built it in the car...tacked it and then just took it out to weld the tops
clamped it to the frame bench so it wouldn't warp
Chamb-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 11:01 PM   #2536
duffman1278
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
duffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to duffman1278
Got my welder up and running today! So I practiced some pieces. I was having some issues with aluminum though, it seemed to take about 20 seconds before my puddle was even being created. I tried cranking up the amps also and it sort of helped. I was using a red tungsten, don't know if that might cause this?

duffman1278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:11 AM   #2537
blu808
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
blu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to blu808
which machine are you using?
Old 12-14-2009, 12:13 AM   #2538
duffman1278
Post Whore!

duffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really nice
A Miller syncrowave 180. When I did seem to get the puddle, it was growing bigger and bigger pretty quickly even though I was moving.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:57 AM   #2539
MELLO*SOS
LAID OUT

duffman congrats on your new machine! Your sync 180 is a transformer based machine (as opposed to newer inverter based machines) and very similar to the sync 200 I was using... Most say to use a green (pure tungsten) on aluminum, and red (2% thoriated) on steel, on transformer machines. However this is also a matter of personal preference, some people just learn with one and use it everywhere. I personally didn't like the green on aluminum very much, I ended up using Arc-Zone.com Arc Time hybrid/rare-earth tungstens. They are rare earth tri-mix, ceriated/lanthinated/zirconated they can be used on steel or aluminum. Also on aluminum I use a 3/32 tungsten and 1/8 filler rod. I had problems with the 1/16 rod melting before it got to the puddle, probably a problem with my torch angle, but 1/8 was much easier to work with. The 1/16 tungsten was also melting away, I believe it was too much current for it so I stepped up to the 3/32 and haven't regretted it. Lastly most say to use the gas lens tips instead of the regular gas cups on your torch, they smooth the argon flow and have better shielding ability.

For aluminum try setting your amps to 1amp per .001 thickness. So if you're working on 1/8" aluminum set at 125amps, I use 140a or so. Make the puddle full blast on the pedal to get the puddle started quickly, otherwise if you wait around you add a lot of heat to the material and end up with a wide puddle. Once the puddle is started you can back off the pedal a little. On 16ga aluminum I use around 75-85amps.

There's lots of good info at WeldingWeb™ - Welding forum for pros and enthusiasts - Powered by vBulletin a welding forum I visit..
Old 12-14-2009, 12:01 PM   #2540
MELLO*SOS
LAID OUT

I finally got a chance to try out my new Hougen hole saws! Man these things are sweet, they cut super fast and leave a BEAUTIFUL hole, virtually NO flash/garbage to clean off! Literally brush it off with your glove and it's ready for dimples/bolts/etc.

^ 1 3/4" hole saw chucked up to my drill press. I bought the lube which goes on the teeth before each use to extend the life..

^ Literally right off the drill press, slapped dimple dies on it and pressed. No hole cleanup with grinder/file/etc!

I'm really impressed with these.. They're a little pricey around $20 to $50 each but well worth the money IMO compared to regular bi-metal hole saws.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:10 PM   #2541
S14_Kouki
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (4)
S14_Kouki can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Well it looks like everyone is building cool stuff. Those sub frame braces posted above are huge lol deff look like there going to work.
S14_Kouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 04:14 PM   #2542
Otto347
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
Otto347 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Bend tech works really well, took me a few times measuring to make sure I had the right dimensions and started bending. I was a little light on the spring back setting so I wouldn't bend any of the angles too far. Top two bends ended up perfect and I had to put and extra 4° on the two lower bends but there is a finger gap around the whole thing.

Otto347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:04 PM   #2543
duffman1278
Post Whore!

Decided to stiffen up my spare OEM arms with some metal plates I found around my house.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:15 PM   #2544
godrifttoday
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (82)
godrifttoday is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 82 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto347 View Post
Bend tech works really well, took me a few times measuring to make sure I had the right dimensions and started bending. I was a little light on the spring back setting so I wouldn't bend any of the angles too far. Top two bends ended up perfect and I had to put and extra 4° on the two lower bends but there is a finger gap around the whole thing.

hey is that a 240SX? is the seat bolted on? if so can i see a pic of ur bracket?
godrifttoday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:38 PM   #2545
ballinnmiami240sx
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
ballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura aboutballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura aboutballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura aboutballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura aboutballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura aboutballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
otto: make sure that your main hoop is 180* +/-10. if you plan to compete in NASA, formula d....you might not end up passing tech.

First cage: I used the 2010 formula d and nasa rule books to make this cage.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:58 PM   #2546
blu808
Post Whore!

blu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfection
looks badass bro. good work. Nice to see people keeping this thread going. That harness bar is a bit high though. The door bars look sweet though with the gusseting.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:02 PM   #2547
ballinnmiami240sx
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
ballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura aboutballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura aboutballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura aboutballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura aboutballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura aboutballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
thanks man. I really didnt have a guide on the harness bar.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:12 PM   #2548
blu808
Post Whore!

I'm sure it will be coo. looks great!
Old 12-15-2009, 10:21 PM   #2549
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
ka-titties is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
where can you go about getting guidelines for cage building for specific events like formula D and such?

oh and ballinmiami, what is up with your LCA? why is the ball joint stud so long and whats the cut in the LCA for?
ka-titties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:03 AM   #2550
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
I thought of you today Luke (and to a lesser extent, this thread) when I was contemplating finishing my trunk today. Did other stuff instead lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka-titties View Post
where can you go about getting guidelines for cage building for specific events like formula D and such?

oh and ballinmiami, what is up with your LCA? why is the ball joint stud so long and whats the cut in the LCA for?
Roll center correction (although if it's really that long, you've overcorrected) and increased steering angle (so the tie rod end clears the LCA).

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote