Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 12-07-2010, 06:00 PM   #3181
Zacho
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
Zacho is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Can anyone reccomend a place to buy stainless 304 and carbon steel butt weld fittings? All my local places are RAPE. Checked ebay but can't find a place that has everything I need (sch10 45's, long radius 90's and some straight as well).
Zacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2010, 06:34 PM   #3182
atutt
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
atutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Chances are if it's pricey. It's quality. There is a MASSIVE difference between domestically made 304 and imported 304 from Taiwan...

Do yourself and our economy a favour. Spend the extra money and buy the domestically made stuff.
I can tell you from the time I spent in the sanitary fabrication field (medical, food process, and some Nuclear stuff)... Spending the extra money is almost ALWAYS well worth it.

So call around. See who offers what. Make sure to ASK WHERE IT'S MADE!
atutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:57 PM   #3183
blu808
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
blu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to blu808
Here is another Blu808 beef supreme sidewinder manifold for a sr510.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:49 PM   #3184
Sleepy_Steve
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (9)
Sleepy_Steve is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Do you make a chalupa manifold by chance?
Old 12-10-2010, 01:04 PM   #3185
Z33dori
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
Z33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
made my own down pipe brace.. worked out really well. for got what thickness metal i used.

Old 12-12-2010, 02:58 AM   #3186
[email protected]
Advertiser

Trader Rating: (87)
Mogli@9KRacing.com is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 87 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Mogli@9KRacing.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrcspeed View Post

Mogli@9KRacing.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 04:36 AM   #3187
drplc3

drplc3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiSilS14 View Post
Thanks! It's just the usual sch10 304SS piping.
Gimme a week or two as I need to repair the cracks in the bumper first, but I promise I will write it up and take my time so I have a good product at the end not some piece of crap.

Old 12-19-2010, 02:05 AM   #3188
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Zilvia's Fab Thread's favorite LS-powered drifter has teamed up with LG Motorsports to build a top-tier competition Vette. As a sponsor (electrical and otherwise) and 'costar' in the vid I'm super excited about this! Check out the surprisingly well-produced first episode of the build by Lab 17:

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:07 AM   #3189
Jonnie Fraz
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (29)
Jonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jonnie Fraz
Great job guys! I am gonna have to run down there and check out this bad boy.

Stealth-Custom-Fab.com
Jonnie Fraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 06:31 PM   #3190
roco
Leaky Injector

roco is an unknown quantity at this point
S15 cage, tubs and 1jz conversion mounts.

Old 12-22-2010, 12:41 AM   #3191
DisEpyon
Zilvia Junkie

DisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to DisEpyon
^^^^ nice welding on the roll cage, looking good.

Seems like a lot of you are improving a lot and for the ones that were already good, thanks for posting the kick ass fabrication.

Here is something i did over the past few days. Its a air coolant separator tank for a rx7. Been a little while since i welded aluminum, or for that matter welding in general. I did not come up with the design just followed the blueprints that were given to me and made it. I have a lot more pictures but to lazy to post, though no pic of the tank installed on the car, maybe later ill snap a few.

DisEpyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 09:57 AM   #3192
shiftdrift
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (42)
shiftdrift is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
looking good man, what filler rod did you use for that?
Old 12-22-2010, 04:00 PM   #3193
DisEpyon
Zilvia Junkie

DisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to DisEpyon
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftdrift View Post
looking good man, what filler rod did you use for that?
I used 3/32 5356

Edit: now that i think about it, i think i should of gone with 4043 rod since its rated to take temps of 150F and up, whereas the 5356 is not suitable for those temps. Not sure how hot this tank will get but we will see.

Source:http://www.esabna.com/us/en/educatio...ller-alloy.cfm
DisEpyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:37 PM   #3194
s13dan
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (2)
s13dan will become famous soon enoughs13dan will become famous soon enoughs13dan will become famous soon enoughs13dan will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
FINALLY someone made a cage with door support bars that don't look like they would shear off in the event of a collision. I have seen so many cages with scary ass door bars. Fucking nice welds, cage, and gussets. Very nice.

boo for 1j
89 240sx hatch #933-the hot rod
91 240sx coupe #131,603-the daily
s13dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 03:17 PM   #3195
Prez
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
Prez is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Subscribed!...Good shit.
Old 12-26-2010, 11:13 AM   #3196
180wanabe1
Zilvia Member

180wanabe1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks to this thread I now am going to get a dynasty 200, I have a lincoln power mig 180c which defiantly does the job for mig work but I want a tig so I can start doing some stainless/aluminum work. Question is though is it worth it to spend the extra 200 ish dollars for the pulsed tig?
Also Luke u have some of the sickest skills I've seen for fabrication.
Oh and once I get access back to my camera I'll post up pics of the tube front end I did on my buddies drift slut.
180wanabe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 11:18 AM   #3197
thegurew

thegurew is an unknown quantity at this point
its not even the pulsed tig that is whats awesome...the dynasty 200dx is just an awesome inverter welder...

consumes less power, highly portable, if found that i no longer get shocks from the welding table with my dynasty 200dx

add a water cooler to it if you can, at 135amps you can weld all day long no stops if you wanted.

the ability to change the AC balance is amazing... 70hz for intercooler piping is the best! or welding billet flanges/tabs to aluminum, 110hz for a more focused arc...you have ultimate control over the shape of the AC welded bead...

welding stainless steel is also much easier with the ability to pulse over 400pps
thegurew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 01:10 PM   #3198
repda916
Zilvia Addict

repda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymore
i cant wait to see the next episode. i would love to come see the vet build in person!
nice work Luke
repda916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 02:54 PM   #3199
atutt
Zilvia Addict

atutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by 180wanabe1 View Post
Thanks to this thread I now am going to get a dynasty 200, I have a lincoln power mig 180c which defiantly does the job for mig work but I want a tig so I can start doing some stainless/aluminum work. Question is though is it worth it to spend the extra 200 ish dollars for the pulsed tig?
Also Luke u have some of the sickest skills I've seen for fabrication.
Oh and once I get access back to my camera I'll post up pics of the tube front end I did on my buddies drift slut.
If you have to ask if the pulse is worth it. Then I can only assume you don't know how to use it properly.

Far to often I see people using the "pulse" just to get the perfect "dime". Without having the slightest clue as how to use the pulse properly.

To use the pulse properly. To get that oh-so favoured dime look. While having a properly penetrating weld.
Takes a little more work and understanding than just setting the speed of the pulse.
Old 12-26-2010, 04:02 PM   #3200
onehundredoctane
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
onehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
First one I've made, the wood I used it Cherry, not a very complicated design, but I did measure the grooves I put in it, spaced evenly and same depth, then I used a burn tool to char the insides of the grooves to look black. The wine stopper itself is a bought piece I simply made the knob for the top of it.

onehundredoctane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 05:02 PM   #3201
180wanabe1
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atutt View Post
If you have to ask if the pulse is worth it. Then I can only assume you don't know how to use it properly.

Far to often I see people using the "pulse" just to get the perfect "dime". Without having the slightest clue as how to use the pulse properly.

To use the pulse properly. To get that oh-so favoured dime look. While having a properly penetrating weld.
Takes a little more work and understanding than just setting the speed of the pulse.
i understand pulse just fine thats not the question the question really was is it worth buying the dynasty 200dx with pulse vs the dynasty sd which is like 250 cheaper without pulse. the only thing i can really see it being useful on is for different thickness metals and being either bad or lazy with your foot pedal for puddle control (unless i'm way off in left field here, which could be possible).
Old 12-26-2010, 05:28 PM   #3202
atutt
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 180wanabe1 View Post
i understand pulse just fine thats not the question the question really was is it worth buying the dynasty 200dx with pulse vs the dynasty sd which is like 250 cheaper without pulse. the only thing i can really see it being useful on is for different thickness metals and being either bad or lazy with your foot pedal for puddle control (unless i'm way off in left field here, which could be possible).
Do you really understand what pulse is and what it's for? It doesn't seem like it by that response.
It's not for being "lazy".
And it's not JUST for different thickness material.
The pulse feature really shines on aluminum. Where you can adjust all sorts of parameters.

If you know how to use pulse to it's fullest extent. As well as require that sort of adjustment to meet your welding needs.
Then yes, the extra $250 is well worth it.
If you think it's just for being lazy. I wouldn't bother.
Old 12-26-2010, 05:50 PM   #3203
RedSiBaron
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
RedSiBaron is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacho View Post
Can anyone reccomend a place to buy stainless 304 and carbon steel butt weld fittings? All my local places are RAPE. Checked ebay but can't find a place that has everything I need (sch10 45's, long radius 90's and some straight as well).
i have a place, i've been using it for a bunch of stuff on my gt racecar, but off the top of my head i cant remember the name for the life of me and i dont have the bookmark saved on this computer...ill try to remember to post up on this tomorrow, their prices are fantastic and they should have exactly what you are looking for.

HEY GUYS!!! IM NEW TO ZILVIA!

i do a lot of fabrication myself, just getting into my first 240 as a daily driver, but unsure what i am doing with it yet, but ill probably turn it into another track race oriented car like everything else i build, and no one seems to do that here, so why not.

ill be posting up pics in here on my racecar fabrication in the next few months, its a vintage 1st gen crx racecar build, wide body, semi tube frame gt3/lite spec car...i know a lot of people dont like hondas on here, but i like em.

some of you guys have some wicked fabrication here, that s15 roll cage above ^^^^ is fantastic work, really tucked against the frame, excellent work thats tough to do!

also that

and that air coolent separator DisEpyon has some beautiful welding on it excellent work man...ive only mig welded until the last year, after i bought my father a real nice miller tig welder, and tig is taking me some major getting used to...atleast ive been fabricating for 10 years so i dont have to learn that!

anyway, figured id introduce myself to you guys since ill be in here
RedSiBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 06:44 AM   #3204
lancerevil

lancerevil is an unknown quantity at this point
Where do you guys get your exhaust flanges from?
lancerevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:14 AM   #3205
RedSiBaron
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancerevil View Post
Where do you guys get your exhaust flanges from?
Uuhhh, make them?
Old 12-27-2010, 10:26 AM   #3206
RedSiBaron
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacho View Post
Try midwest control or msc direct

I am able to find a lot of stuff there
Old 12-27-2010, 02:00 PM   #3207
brainfood
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (18)
brainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Guess I should have posted some of my stuff in here a long time ago. Everyone is doing very nice work it was interesting reading through this thread.

My r32 back halfed and front will get done soonish, everything is tig welded and came out very clean

Shop car S14 time attack car, I did the titanium exhaust, intercooler piping, intake pipe, downpipe, pretty much all the fab work.

Simulator for GT5/Forza, tig welded stainless

Old 01-01-2011, 08:25 AM   #3208
180wanabe1
Zilvia Member

^^ do you have pictures of the front tubed out. been thinking between doing that or swapping frame rails in my 240 and can't decide if i want a closed engine bay or a fully tubed engine bay.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:34 PM   #3209
brainfood
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (18)
brainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Fronts not done yet I may work on it some tomorrow but it wont be completely done till I get a front bumper which wont be for a while probably.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:13 PM   #3210
atutt
Zilvia Addict

Dear brainfood - please take less crappy pics of the above awesomeness...

Thank you