Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-05-2015, 03:03 PM   #1
S-Nation S13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (92)
S-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 92 reviews
Talking Axles changed and now clicks during turns

So i had to change my axles, i replaced them and now every time i turn left or right i have a clunk/click noise. i have a welded diff, and adjustable rear link which i have tightened all the way to the correct torque any insights?
S-Nation S13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2015, 06:34 PM   #2
cotbu
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOrLNHbEzMg

NSFW

normal clunk clique for a welded,or post video or audio.

LoverTechnologies "Half Broken Things!"
cotbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 07:31 PM   #3
dbeiler
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
What caused you to replace the original axles?

A clicking or clunking noise is a sign of worn CV joints in the axle. Located inside the rubber boot, the rotating balls on the spider assy will get flat spots. As you're turning, the flat spot ball smacks into the side joint housing.

Leave the car in neutral. Turn the steering wheel hard right or left. Push the car forward very slowly while closely watching the axle shafts. Is the noise heard only once during each axle revolution and always at the same spot?

Have you inspected the welded diff lately? The welds may have cracked, allowing the axles to spin slightly independent of each other.
dbeiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 08:18 PM   #4
S-Nation S13
Post Whore!

S-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Long story short I changed them because my PBM toe rod snapped causing my axle to rub on my coilover (DR) side damaging it, so since I changed one side I decided to change both. Failed and picked up an O'Reilly set of axle as I needed to change them asap (work/transportation) reasons

My diff is welded with a quarter in plate so it's safe to say what if the welds fail my diff will blow up like a grenade.
Old 07-05-2015, 11:18 PM   #5
G-E@Z31P
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
G-E@Z31P is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is it possible something is bent and the distance is shorter causing the axle to bottom out the CV in the cup under certain conditions?
Old 07-06-2015, 06:14 PM   #6
kruked
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (37)
kruked is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
Could be that they're not broken in yet.

Your drive shaft could be out of ballance if you took it off for whatever reason to change the axles
Old 07-06-2015, 06:24 PM   #7
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Trader Rating: (41)
dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Nation S13 View Post
and picked up an O'Reilly set of axles...
thats your problem right there.

unfortunately, brand new OE axles are no longer in existence and 9 out of 10 aftermarket axles you purchase are remans.

i would highly suggest purchasing a set of Driveshaft Shop axles if you want brand new (which is going to run $400-$500, but will support up to 500whp)... outside of that youre going to keep running into the same problem. i went thru 3 drivers side aftermarket OE replacements and 2 passengers from RockAuto before i said screw it and had my OE axles rebooted and regreased. all of the Rock Auto axles clicked and clunked during acceleration and turning (they didnt even fit snug into the hub compared to the OEs). my OEs were just fine, they needed new boots was all so i had a friends shop take care of it (theres a specific tool needed to reboot axles, it stretches the rubber boot over the axle properly).

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
dorkidori_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:10 PM   #8
Bushido
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
Bushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Ive been getting a ticking sound when i do low speed maneuvers like pull into s parking space.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:42 PM   #9
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (46)
KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 46 reviews
Yeah I've heard plenty of bad stories about remanned axles. If you are looking to push over 500hp it is best to step up to the 6x1 Z32TT / G50 Q45 axles.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:45 PM   #10
anti tyler
GM2 (SW/AW)

Trader Rating: (37)
anti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
Send a message via AIM to anti tyler Send a message via Yahoo to anti tyler
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkidori_s13 View Post
thats your problem right there.

unfortunately, brand new OE axles are no longer in existence and 9 out of 10 aftermarket axles you purchase are remans.

i would highly suggest purchasing a set of Driveshaft Shop axles if you want brand new (which is going to run $400-$500, but will support up to 500whp)... outside of that youre going to keep running into the same problem. i went thru 3 drivers side aftermarket OE replacements and 2 passengers from RockAuto before i said screw it and had my OE axles rebooted and regreased. all of the Rock Auto axles clicked and clunked during acceleration and turning (they didnt even fit snug into the hub compared to the OEs). my OEs were just fine, they needed new boots was all so i had a friends shop take care of it (theres a specific tool needed to reboot axles, it stretches the rubber boot over the axle properly).
You don't want to listen to him, he's a huge market place meanie lol. Jk, sounds like you're in my boat. Except I have a thump and not a clunk. I've been told get a pair of chassis ears to narrow down exactly where your noise is. It's possible it's not coming from where you think it is. I've narrowed mine down to the differential. Now mine is an lsd but you could have the same problem. Have you confirmed your half shafts are in good standing. Not sliding in and out causing an issue? If you put new shafts on and you're hearing noise whether they're reman or not your issue may be elsewhere.
but that shyt has SWAG

KA-T for life!
Current for sale advertisement

anti tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 01:39 AM   #11
S-Nation S13
Post Whore!

So I was able to track down some OE AXLES I'll slap them on this weekend if it checks out then I can say it was the reman axles at fault

But now I have another problem !!! Ugh fuck this car lol

Drove to work like I normally do, parked, turned off the car pulled my key out (5 seconds later everything turns on as if I had my keys in the acc position just before the start position

I was able to get everything to shut off went to work, long behold battery drained while I was a work (12 hr. shift)
Got a jump from triple a everything worked drove home and the shit got worse

Car on everything fine

Turn car off key out car on
Disconnected the ign switch car on
Disconnected the ground with positive cable still on .. Car still on
Disconnected the positive cable and ground cable .. Car still on
Disconnected the alt fuse car still on
Disconnected the fuel pump fuse car finally died

WTF if it's not one thing it's the other damn this car !!!