Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-21-2006, 10:09 AM   #1
AntiVtec
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
AntiVtec is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Vibration in the rear? Not my rear!

Whats up guys, well after i got the car running I've been working on this chatter problem the car is having with no luck, and now I'm at a decision point and need your advice. To recap the problem, when i first take the car out for a drive everything is fine. After driving for about 10 minutes a vibration develops in the rear. It is more pronounced while slowing down and cruising slowly out of gear, but its always happening. However, if i put the car in gear, even with the clutch pressed in, the vibration is barely noticeable. So i lifted the car and spun the tires in the air and the vibration was still there. I then disconnected the driveshaft and spun the tires and there is no vibration. So i deduced its not the diff. and i now narrowed it down to either the center bearing on the drive shaft or the pilot bearing/clutch. Is there any way to test those two parts without replacing them, i don't have the means to drop the tranny in my yard so i don't want to pay a shop to check it for me. Also if i need a new driveshaft I'm going with a one piece, and i don't want to buy it and find out that's not the problem. If any one can give me any tips ill really appreciate it, and if any one has had a similar problem please help me out so i can finally get my tag and registration and head to moroso for some baseline runs. Thanks for your time!
AntiVtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2006, 11:26 AM   #2
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Moved from polls.
Old 04-22-2006, 06:29 PM   #3
youngmanvr4
Zilvia Junkie

youngmanvr4 is making a name for him/her selfyoungmanvr4 is making a name for him/her self
I'm having the same problem.

http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread?id=170042 Sound close to the samething? Only mine is with it in gear. When I take it out of get with the clutch in or out it goes away. So sorta the same only a little different. On my thread there is another guy with the problem too...but he has already replaced the DS.
youngmanvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 07:27 PM   #4
youngmanvr4
Zilvia Junkie

youngmanvr4 is making a name for him/her selfyoungmanvr4 is making a name for him/her self
I wouldn't totally rule out your diff. I just did the same thing (jack up rear and spin tires) and I could hear the sound with the DS connected. If I would of taken it off I'm sure it would go away becuase of the DS is pretty much connected to the pinion gear in your diff. If you take pressure off that from the DS it will stop the noise most likely. I didn't try disconnecting my DS. Now my problem could be different than yours but I wouldn't totally rule it out. The best thing you could do it jack up the rear again and have some one or yourself underthere as the wheels are spinning and try to pen point the sound. I had my dad get under as I spun the wheels and the sound was NOT coming from the tranny or the DS. I was coming from the diff. Most likely the pinion gear. But the question is, is that the same noise I hear when driving? It sounds close but if its not it could be a waste again. Just tryin to help and even figure out my own problems.
Old 04-22-2006, 09:11 PM   #5
statik
Zilvia FREAK!

statik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to statik Send a message via MSN to statik
I had the same problem, it was the carrier bearing in the DS, my one piece aluminum solved that
Old 04-23-2006, 08:02 AM   #6
youngmanvr4
Zilvia Junkie

How did you check your problem?
Old 04-23-2006, 08:30 AM   #7
NIK90s13
Zilvia Junkie

NIK90s13 is making a name for him/her selfNIK90s13 is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by statik
I had the same problem, it was the carrier bearing in the DS, my one piece aluminum solved that
Sorry to ''jack'' but do you have any vibration troble with the one piece?
NIK90s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 09:31 AM   #8
statik
Zilvia FREAK!

statik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to statik Send a message via MSN to statik
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngmanvr4
How did you check your problem?
I didnt, I just had a feeling it was that, and was planning on going with the aluminum one piece anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIK90s13
Sorry to ''jack'' but do you have any vibration troble with the one piece?
Trouble? No, you do feel a it a bit more, but its nothing too noticable.