Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 08-10-2016, 12:04 PM   #1
angrychicken!

Trader Rating: (0)
angrychicken! is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
angrychicken's weksos zilla build

Decided to log my build here so I can see the progression and get help along the way. Came across this car in atypical way.

I was down to a driving EJ25 powered VW Westy (I was commuting in town mostly on a bicycle). Here he is down in Baja, Mexico.

In the Cascades before skinning up the next day for some AVY training.

I kinda used to be a car guy and autocross a few seasons way back when. I wanted a more functional daily other than my adventuring van. I've always liked unique cars, (first one was a 63 Lincoln Continental). So my shopping started. I went out and started looking at classic mini coopers, and found a low mileage one imported from Japan. I loved it, and loved the RHD feel. It's been awhile since I drove RHD and it had this nostalgia feel for me.

I was was sure as shit not going to ride a classic mini over the Cascade Mountains that I frequent in one. So I started looking at other fun options. I have always loved Porsches, so I looked at older models but holy hell the 90s models have really gone up on prices. I could afford a 15 year old one, but they lacked the appeal.

Than I stumbled upon a few R32 GTRs. I drove a few that were stock or mildly modified. Holy fuck balls, for a 25 year old car, I was really impressed with how balanced and "refined" they felt.

Here is a nice black one that RHD had that I liked and considered.

Anthony was working there at the time. Cool cat, I would not hesitate to buy a car there. I loved the color, but that's also why I didn't buy it. I didn't want the upkeep on a black car. And although gun metal is the most common color, it's my favorite stock color besides the blue.
Kinda of funny, I drove some Hondas, Nissans, and a few Toyotas back in the day, but never had the GTR fever. But after driving one, I wanted one. So I narrowed my shopping to that and that only. I was shooting for a stockish engine but wanted suspension mods.

Met a guy who was selling his to buy a house. He only had it a few months, it was imported from Japan to Canada the year prior. Had verified miles, was not an auction car, and good lord, had the suspension massaged already.

How it sat at his home.

Last edited by angrychicken!; 01-01-2017 at 12:22 AM..
angrychicken! is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2016, 09:09 PM   #2
jdmsly

jdmsly is an unknown quantity at this point
Good luck man those gtr's are a real gem! That one also looks really clean, you looking to buy it or nah?
jdmsly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 09:23 PM   #3
angrychicken!

Drove it home and loved every minute of it. That is until I went over a mountain pass... I really started loosing power at around 2K', started running really rich and bogging out. Barely made it over 5,500'. It's running on a stand alone speed density tune that was not equipped for altitude. It pulls hard at below 2k', but progressively struggles the higher it climbs.

Once I got home, one of the first things was to make a simple aluminum bracket that held a USD license plate. My son helped mounted it.

The battery that was in the car was a bit tired. So the prior owner picked up an optima yellow top for me before I picked it up. A buddy of mine fabricated a mount for this along with a front license plate bracket out of aluminum.

The car came with a no name front tower brace, nothing in the rear.

I picked up a used set of cusco braces for the front and rear.
But when they arrived, the front brace was a little asymmetric.

So a very scientific way was deployed to fix it. My buddy held it on a brace while I bent it back to shape. We probably looked like some chimpanzees trying to fix something. But we got the bend within 1 mm of the opposing side.

I was scared of the bend because it wouldn't allow the hood to close. So before we closed the aluminum hood, we lit up the bay, placed some cameras, and reviewed the footage before latching it down tight.

Did some fluid, belt, and plug swaps to know when everything was done. Went through and started addressing some of the faults common in these older cars.
Replaced some of the sensors to get the dash gauges going.
The fuel gauge was a bit wild. So we the pulled fuel pump, fixed the sticking float.

A had a common little tear in the driver's seat. A local mobile upholstery guy fixed it for $20 in about 15 minutes with some glue and color matched microfibers.

I'll eventually want to swap out the seats for something with more bolster.
But this will do for know while I address the engine and tuning.

Last edited by angrychicken!; 08-14-2016 at 11:49 AM..
Old 12-24-2016, 08:45 PM   #4
angrychicken!

I travel a bit, so this project never goes as fast planned.
Came back home for the winter about 1-2 months ago, was hoping to get some track time, but the projects didn't get done in time.
Picked up a set of 17x9 Prodrives and some wider rubber to help with traction issues. I'll eventually go with a 18x10.5 set up when I find something that works.
My dog is a shitty model.

Picked up a rear diffuser, fit pretty well without a whole lot of trimming.

My friend Jake also has a matching diffuser on his car. When he bought his 32, I found a legit RB spoiler while I was in Minneapolis. Picked it up and sent it to him as a present. I love how they fit on 32s.

I paid for a pair of apexi intakes online, but got sent the wrong set. These were made for a rx7. I had to plan shit remotely while I was in the midwest. My friend who was storing my car helped make it happen. The intake housing was cut and welded on some pips for a different intake set up when that was ditched. Also added a Tial BOV. Also threw in a walbro 450 lph. Bought ID 1000 cc injectors, and some other parts from AEM to get the car ready for flex fuel.
Almost everything that was pulled. Hoping someone on craigslist picks this shit up. I hate throwing shit away and have little space for storage.

Some of this work was done while I was C. America. I sort of wish I was around to have my hands on it a bit more.
I like the BOV placement. The intakes are functional, but I the routing was done a bit different than I had wanted. I will end up getting a bunch of parts including the intakes powder coated to match the valve cover. I think the bay will look better after.

From this shop, it was shipped out to be tuned.

Last edited by angrychicken!; 12-24-2016 at 09:37 PM.. Reason: added pics
Old 12-29-2016, 11:26 AM   #5
hvp014
Leaky Injector

hvp014 is an unknown quantity at this point
looking good so far!
hvp014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 01:13 PM   #6
Sansone
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
Sansone is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Looking good!

Life Ruiner
Sansone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 02:59 PM   #7
KojiKP

Trader Rating: (3)
KojiKP is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Very nice! I'm in the PNW as well, I'm currently rebuilding my R32
KojiKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 11:28 PM   #8
angrychicken!

Thanks!

It did get tuned, put down 435 whp on pump gas, 494 on e70. Power is linear, keeps going up revs without any step off. But the tune has some bugs, so it's going back on the rollers in a few weeks.

Finishing a catch can and a few other small projects on it now. I'll try to get some pics and more updates posted next week.
Old 12-31-2016, 08:04 PM   #9
angrychicken!

During inspection before dyno runs, the shop found a intake gasket that needed to be replaced.

They cut up a new one and fitted it.
Also, one of the AN fittings for the oil cooler had a leak and that also stalled things for a bit.

All of this happened while I was down in C. America. So communication was slow and it wasn't around to "oversee" things 1st hand. I ended up not liking where the oil filter was relocated, I'll post pics of that later. (The shop that tuned it did not fit it) It will need to be moved pretty soon.

On the rollers and the results. I'm satisfied with the power output, this is will be a daily driver and weekend warrior for lapping days. I don't think it will ever see a drag strip.

When I picked it up.

Still working on the catch can, but this how it looks so far.

It didn't have an external temp sensor when I bought it, but the harness plug was there (although a bit fried). I picked up a newer sensor from a scrap yard from a 2000 Forester. Paid $5 for it along with a mount bracket. Wired it in and it works wonderfully. The cool surprise is that the climate controls weren't working 100% before. After I wired this in, it's golden. You can set internal thermostat at the desired temp, and it will adjust for it (minus the missing A/C). Pretty cool for what is essentially 80s technology.

While reading through some forums about fabricating splitters, I found out about local company that supplies materials. I went and looked at their shit, it's pretty affordable. They have an aluminum composite material comprised of two sheets of aluminum with a solid polyethylene core. Seemed light but rigid enough.
I really think I'll go that route, have a splitter I can remove and put on for track days. The sheets are large enough to where I could also just make an under tray that will help protect the front lip from getting scratched up.
I started mocking up template from cardboard.

Also, you can see a set of stock wheel on it with some blizzaks. I don't plan on driving it much in the winter, but if I needed to take it somewhere, i didn't want to drive around in sub-freezing temps with summer/track oriented tires.
The cool guys at RHD Specialties sold me that set after I bought the car. Although I ended up not buying a car through them, they were cool enough to help me out.
I'm hoping to a different set of wheels to use a winter set in about a month.

I'm not sure what the fuck is going on here, the stays work, but look like absolute shit. My buddy that has that black 32 has access to free aluminum and likes to fabricate on the side when he has time. and will make me some new stays. I am mocking up a template for our cars.
He also make me a kick ass cup holder for x-mas that I can use for my coffee cup. I'll get a pic of that later.

Last edited by angrychicken!; 01-01-2017 at 12:24 AM..
Old 01-05-2017, 03:51 PM   #10
angrychicken!

Cup holder my homie made for me for christmas.

Picked up this scrap sheet today for the front spoiler. It's pretty cool, laminate material. Aluminum on the outside, high impact plastic in the middle.
Scored it for $15.

Old 01-05-2017, 04:17 PM   #11
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Neat stuff so far. Awesome power on that stock engine.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 04:27 PM   #12
95_S14
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (108)
95_S14 has a brilliant future95_S14 has a brilliant future95_S14 has a brilliant future95_S14 has a brilliant future95_S14 has a brilliant future95_S14 has a brilliant future95_S14 has a brilliant future95_S14 has a brilliant future95_S14 has a brilliant future95_S14 has a brilliant future95_S14 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 108 reviews
Pm me if you ever want to sell the prodrives thanks
Old 01-05-2017, 10:22 PM   #13
angrychicken!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
Neat stuff so far. Awesome power on that stock engine.
Thanks!
It did reach a limit due to available fuel on the dyno. Not sure why that it, I thought I it should squeeze out a bit more with what I had. But it doesn't really matter. I don't want more with a stock engine/drivetrain that will see track time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95_S14 View Post
Pm me if you ever want to sell the prodrives thanks
I do like the uniqueness of an otherwise common TE37. But I do want a slighter larger/wider set up. I'll post something in this thread if I'm ready to give them up.

I did jump in on that pre-order for a set of 5Zigen Inperio Sports RS-1s. I'm going to use them as a winter set. I wanted bronze in 17s, but the only color is gunmetal. I'll be selling one of my sets of GTR wheels soon if anyone is interested. I could use the money for winter tires.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:46 PM   #14
angrychicken!

My buddy put on new tabs on the catch can. Way fucken better. I drop it off at the tuner in a few days so they can hopefully fix the tune.
I'll buy some fittings and lines to finish up the catch can.

Old 02-01-2017, 11:38 PM   #15
angrychicken!

Got it back from English Racing this week, where the AWD monsters are.

Picked up some hose and fittings for the catch can.

Need to weld a male end here.

But I have no idea how the piece comes off. Not sure if it's press fit or threaded. Anyone know?
I'd like to avoid taking off the valve cover if possible.

Back to working in the front splitter. I need to make a nicer cut up front and I'll probably trim it down about 1-2 cm. It's also not going to be as sturdy as I hoped with my original mount plans. But I think I have some ideas on how to secure it safely.

Old 02-23-2017, 05:04 PM   #16
angrychicken!

Spent the late morning doing some test fitting.
Bought this FRP replica front lip, fitting was pretty bad. The stock brake ducts set lower than the lip. Mount tabs were pretty far off, took a bit of massaging to get it to line up, sort of. At a $130, it's not a long lasting piece though.

Also fitted a set of 5zigens 17x9s +20 along with some 595 RS-RRs. The front center caps don't clear and can't be used. I might see how things go with small spacer. The wheels themselves do fill out the car nicely though. I'll probably run these along with the prodrives through the summer and than use them as a winter set.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:52 PM   #17
angrychicken!

Well, that didn't last long...

Went down to the hardware store and pick up some fast nuts. Afterwards, I went to the paint shop to see if they cold do some color matching for me. Stopped by Firestone to schedule a routine alignment.

I've probably driven my car 4-6 times in the past year.
Drive slowly threw an intersection and get hit by a truck whom takes off afterwards.
Let's hope the insurance company is fair and I get a good repair.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:23 PM   #18
lunchmeat
Zilvia Addict

lunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond repute
Aww shit man. That just sucks out loud.
lunchmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 08:55 PM   #19
angrychicken!

Word.
I have a line on a brand new OEM quarter.
There is nothing on the suspension that is stock.
I'll have to get under it when the insurance adjuster comes out to see what needs to be done.
Old 02-25-2017, 11:17 AM   #20
angrychicken!

Put the car up on jacks and had a look under.
I will wait for the adjuster to come around before I pull the wheel and open the trunk to full assess the damage. I'm hoping the damage is limited to the quarter panel skin and upper control camber arm. Both will likely be sourced from the UK.

I also see some bushings that looked weathered. I'll probably get new end links to replace shit.
My homie stopped by to drop this off. Welded on a divider to some of the stock piping. The plan is to powder coat this, the intake piping, and inter cooling piping to match the valve cover.

Last edited by angrychicken!; 02-25-2017 at 06:43 PM..
Old 03-02-2017, 10:08 AM   #21
10psitx
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
10psitx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Well that sucks!!!...pm me if you need a new qtr panel.
10psitx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:28 PM   #22
angrychicken!

Completely forgot about this thread until today.
I finally found some parts and hopefully will have them soon.
Been fighting the insurance company. Towed the car to my house and had it there for 1 month without responses from the mapfre insurance. Ended up with an attorney and other help and they are still fighting to undervalue the care and settle for pennies.

I've spent most of this year in Guatemala and in California.
I'll be returning to Guatemala in about 1 month for the rest of the year.
You can see what we are doing down there here!

https://www.facebook.com/manichanh.r...55456778256952
Old 12-06-2017, 06:57 AM   #23
angrychicken!

So my car was finally appraised by an independent source.
But I've been downing Guatemala for most of this year and need to return to complete the paperwork.
The drive down here was plagued with hurricanes, earthquakes, and breakdowns.
My trusty little van has never had so many problems. I thought I everything was all sorted out and I'm scheduled to drive back in 6 days. Just before my temporary permit expires. But one of my fuel injectors failed, it's not easy sourcing parts here, but I'm hoping to have it today.
Here is a quick vid of the journey south and another one of the life down here in the Northern Highlands of Guatemala.
All shot and edited on my cell phone, best seen in HD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDXi...r#action=share

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDXi...r#action=share