Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Motorsports and Skilled Driving

Motorsports and Skilled Driving Discussion for Organized Racing and motorsports and tips and techniques at becoming a better driver.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:35 PM   #1
Driftingcorners
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Driftingcorners is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
**Diff Question** Helical or 1.5 way...

I have the opportunity to purchase a Nismo GT 1.5 way or S15 Helical LSD...

For a SERIOUS road racer, which diff would you guys choose?

TY!
Driftingcorners is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2011, 12:50 PM   #2
ManoNegra
Guild of Skullduggerous Intent

Trader Rating: (48)
ManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 48 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to ManoNegra
few factors
price of each?
condition?
installed?

the Nismo one would be my choice on a purely track car
the HLSD for dual track/daily duty

knowing me though, I'd want both
ManoNegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:03 PM   #3
Driftingcorners
Zilvia Junkie

Both prices are around the same...6 bills for the Nismo, 6 for the S15....=/. Have you had experience with both?
Old 05-24-2011, 01:09 PM   #4
str84dapokie
Leaky Injector

str84dapokie is an unknown quantity at this point
is this second hand or is some place selling them for this price??? i'll take either at that price
Old 05-24-2011, 01:19 PM   #5
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
My nismo gt 1.5 needs a rebuild after this last weekend at autox -- it apparently wasn't super friendly with hoosier a6s. I bought it new about 1.5 years ago.

I've had both, and I love the seamlessness of the torsen, but the predictability of the 1.5.. I'm going to shelve my 1.5, maybe have it rebuild this winter, and buy another helical for the time being.
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:23 PM   #6
Driftingcorners
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1_griego View Post
My nismo gt 1.5 needs a rebuild after this last weekend at autox -- it apparently wasn't super friendly with hoosier a6s. I bought it new about 1.5 years ago.

I've had both, and I love the seamlessness of the torsen, but the predictability of the 1.5.. I'm going to shelve my 1.5, maybe have it rebuild this winter, and buy another helical for the time being.
So would you say...you can't really go wrong with either? Is the 1.5 way more predictible, you say? Which one tends to slide out more, and which is definitely more controllable, would you say?

I do not have any intentions on drifting, just road racing & gripping.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:28 PM   #7
e1_griego
Post Whore!

e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Because a torsen never locks, it can be a little bit harder to put the ass of the car where you want. I mostly autocross my 240, so this is a little bit more important when navigating cones.

On track, I thought the clutch type was a little bit too aggressive and would have preferred a helical which doesn't upset the balance of the car near as much. When I have the 1.5 rebuilt, I'm going to have a couple of plates flipped so it doesn't lock up 100%.

I will be able to give you better feedback when I get another torsen in the car. I've changed everything out from when I had one before, so the car might behave better now.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:11 PM   #8
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Depends on driving! As said helical = no maintenance, which I like....
Old 05-24-2011, 02:12 PM   #9
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Because a torsen never locks, it can be a little bit harder to put the ass of the car where you want. I mostly autocross my 240, so this is a little bit more important when navigating cones.

On track, I thought the clutch type was a little bit too aggressive and would have preferred a helical which doesn't upset the balance of the car near as much. When I have the 1.5 rebuilt, I'm going to have a couple of plates flipped so it doesn't lock up 100%.

I will be able to give you better feedback when I get another torsen in the car. I've changed everything out from when I had one before, so the car might behave better now.
Its all TRUE! I had driven, vlsd, nismo 2way, welded, and now I own a helical... Power out of the corner like a bat outta hell no problem, very nice on transitions. Initial turn in is unbelieveable...... S15!
Old 05-24-2011, 02:13 PM   #10
McCoy
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
McCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I've owned both on a car that only sees HPDE/open lapping days and the drive to/from the track. You can't go wrong with either one of these as they both feel great on track. I am not going to say anymore that this as I made to many other changes to the car to give a true apples/apples comparison of the two.

As mentioned, the nismo unit lets you know it's there when in the parking lots/pits... I forgot at times that I even had the helical.
McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:34 PM   #11
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Monty, is yours a GT or a mechanical?

The GT is almost too aggressive, I think. I have a couple friends with nismo mechanicals (4 plates, instead of the GT's 20) and I almost prefer them because they're not as obvious.

My comparison is pretty much apples to oranges as well. Hopefully in the next 2 weeks I can make a proper comparison.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:38 PM   #12
McCoy
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
McCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Monty, is yours a GT or a mechanical?
Forgot to mention that, it's the mechanical one. It's an R32 rear diff, so I assume it's the factory one from the R32 or one added while in Japan.

Quote:
The GT is almost too aggressive, I think. I have a couple friends with nismo mechanicals (4 plates, instead of the GT's 20) and I almost prefer them because they're not as obvious.
I'm happy with the one I have, it feels like it locks a bit more than the helical, but not enough to cause any issues on track. Of course I went from used RA-1's to used hoosiers, so again my comparison is not so much apples-apples.
McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:58 PM   #13
lflkajfj12123

Trader Rating: (20)
lflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
I'd say go with the helical
lflkajfj12123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:03 PM   #14
Vatche
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (289)
Vatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 289 reviews
i would choose helical also. because i have one, theyre super reliable. oem. they dont really break or go bad. they perform like a champ. and theyre the best ever.

um...i never had a 1.5way but i had a 2way. and i hated it. i got the 2 way cheap and it was my first diff. being a road racer i didnt like the way it reacted, and as a daily it was super load and annoying which i didnt realize until i put in the helical
The Ultimate For Sale Thread <> Review Thread
Vatche is offline   Reply With Quote