Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-27-2009, 06:36 AM   #31
LA_phantom_240
Nissanaholic!

Location: Louisiana. LA is for Louisiana. L.A. is Los Angeles.
Trader Rating: (2)
LA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectRDM View Post
The best way is to use two more relays and leg them off the OE signal from the ECU. That way both fans can be used for both low and high speeds. Fuse the input power to 30A each just like the original circuits.
Right. I just figured it was an understood thing to use relays. lol.

Then again... This IS Zilvia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoSideways View Post
Come on, this isn't Gran Turismo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOK
your balls are either ballin, or they aren't... no second hand nut sweat can change that.
3/28/09 Buy this stuff!
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/24807...-stuff-fs.html
LA_phantom_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2009, 03:48 PM   #32
flip240

flip240 is an unknown quantity at this point
thanks for the insight RDM, I was planning to go clutchless w/ dual electricals, but now I know I don't have to waste $$ on that
flip240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 04:29 PM   #33
singlecamslam
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
singlecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
For track use, i use the stock clutch and shroud, but i also have an additional pusher fan on long waits at the track.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:29 PM   #34
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by flip240 View Post
thanks for the insight RDM, I was planning to go clutchless w/ dual electricals, but now I know I don't have to waste $$ on that
Just make sure to keep the shroud, without it the fan is useless. You can even run some sealing foam around the edges where it meets the radiator for even more air direction.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 04:37 PM   #35
S14Cuhh
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (23)
S14Cuhh is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Send a message via AIM to S14Cuhh
all good stuff here. ima try an e-fan for a little, and maybe make a diversion tunnel. also what temp is normal for KA im going to install a temp gauge first..then see the difference with the clutch and e fan
S14Cuhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 04:44 PM   #36
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by flip240 View Post
electric fan setup from a ford taurus is cheap as hell, but the 30 amp draw everytime that bitch comes on could hurt you especially with other electronics running and having one of those shitty lawnmower batteries in your car. It wont provide enough power for everything including your lights and your alternator will end up working double time and eventually burn out faster.

the new variable speed diff fan control unit looks like a cool addition to an electric fan setup if it can actually controll the speed, voltage of a large draw electric fan.

But at 200 bucks introductory pricing I dunno how many cheap 240 owners will take that dive for the convenience of "engine bay space"
Old 01-27-2009, 07:02 PM   #37
shift_jin
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (16)
shift_jin has made poor choicesshift_jin has made poor choicesshift_jin has made poor choicesshift_jin has made poor choicesshift_jin has made poor choicesshift_jin has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
like everyone projectrdm taught me something too
shift_jin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:16 PM   #38
LA_phantom_240
Nissanaholic!

LA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Om1kron View Post
electric fan setup from a ford taurus is cheap as hell, but the 30 amp draw everytime that bitch comes on could hurt you especially with other electronics running and having one of those shitty lawnmower batteries in your car. It wont provide enough power for everything including your lights and your alternator will end up working double time and eventually burn out faster.

the new variable speed diff fan control unit looks like a cool addition to an electric fan setup if it can actually controll the speed, voltage of a large draw electric fan.

But at 200 bucks introductory pricing I dunno how many cheap 240 owners will take that dive for the convenience of "engine bay space"
You ever been fat and tried to stick your arms in front of the motor with that monster fan in the way?

$200 is acceptable at that point, and $50 for altima fans is like eating off the dollar menu.

Quote:
Quote:
your balls are either ballin, or they aren't... no second hand nut sweat can change that.
3/28/09 Buy this stuff!
Old 01-27-2009, 07:29 PM   #39
96Turbo
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by shift_jin View Post
like everyone projectrdm taught me something too
projectrdm taught me everything i know. from macking bitches to quantum mechanics
96Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:05 PM   #40
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
projectRDM taught me how to make over $30k a month just selling items online.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:18 PM   #41
96Turbo
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by !Zar! View Post
projectRDM taught me how to make over $30k a month just selling items online.
GTFO! you sellin e-crack?? what happens when you run out of shit to sell? lol

perhaps we should start a "what i learned from projectrdm" thread
96Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:23 PM   #42
S14Cuhh
Zilvia FREAK!

projectrdm has good solid advice. props to you RDM
Old 01-27-2009, 10:09 PM   #43
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
you guys are clowns.

As far as running out of shit to sell, I can't wait for that day to come. I've still got a friend's basement full of shit I need to inventory. I've learned some Schassis parts really do multiply. Wiper motors especially. I must have 40 of those fucking things.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:29 PM   #44
MAXIMUS_PR
Leaky Injector

MAXIMUS_PR is an unknown quantity at this point
if i decide to delete the clutch and use a spacer what size it should be?
also what are the pro's and con's by doing this?
MAXIMUS_PR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:48 PM   #45
DRFT180
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
DRFT180 has much to be proud ofDRFT180 has much to be proud ofDRFT180 has much to be proud ofDRFT180 has much to be proud ofDRFT180 has much to be proud ofDRFT180 has much to be proud ofDRFT180 has much to be proud ofDRFT180 has much to be proud ofDRFT180 has much to be proud ofDRFT180 has much to be proud ofDRFT180 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Here's a question I've never seen brought up.

Is the stock fan clutch thermostatic? Such as, when temps rise due to traffic, racing, drifting, ect., does the clutch "lock up" more because of the hotter air flowing bye causing the fan to spin faster?

I have been through:
Stock
Altima's
Taurus
and back to stock

I've learned my lesson

S14 Build
DRFT180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:09 PM   #46
S14Cuhh
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFT180 View Post

Is the stock fan clutch thermostatic? Such as, when temps rise due to traffic, racing, drifting, ect., does the clutch "lock up" more because of the hotter air flowing bye causing the fan to spin faster?

I have been through:
Stock
Altima's
Taurus
and back to stock

I've learned my lesson
you my friend..have talkied me into keep the clutch fan, besides project rdm already teach me everything i will ever need to know
Old 02-03-2009, 11:13 PM   #47
LA_phantom_240
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFT180 View Post

I have been through:
Stock
Altima's
Taurus
and back to stock

I've learned my lesson
I'm pretty sure it IS thermostatic, to a degree.

What was so wrong with altima fans?

Quote:
Quote:
3/28/09 Buy this stuff!
Old 02-04-2009, 08:19 PM   #48
DRFT180
Zilvia Addict

DRFT180 has much to be proud ofDRFT180 has much to be proud ofDRFT180 has much to be proud ofDRFT180 has much to be proud ofDRFT180 has much to be proud ofDRFT180 has much to be proud ofDRFT180 has much to be proud ofDRFT180 has much to be proud ofDRFT180 has much to be proud ofDRFT180 has much to be proud ofDRFT180 has much to be proud of
I would say the Altima's were second best to the clutch fan. Only when properly ducted after cutting them up to fit. That made a huge difference, and the only thing I didn't like was the voltage drop when on. Also the temperature fluctuations you get with an e-fan.

I did not like how much of the radiator the taurus fans did NOT cover. A nice chunk of the radiator was not even being used.

I did have a DiF fan controller, so they were not constantly running

For the clutch fan, just make sure you have all the pieces to the shroud and it is sealed to the radiator

S14 Build
Old 02-04-2009, 08:33 PM   #49
DRFT180
Zilvia Addict

Oh and I had to take my billion thermo out and put an OEM one back in.

I was uncomfortable with 70c cruising temps.

S14 Build
Old 02-04-2009, 09:47 PM   #50
LA_phantom_240
Nissanaholic!

My car barely gets warm with the fans off. With the fans on low, I can cruise.

Interstate?

LOL.

Quote:
Quote:
3/28/09 Buy this stuff!
Old 02-04-2009, 10:19 PM   #51
apexi240sx
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
apexi240sx has made poor choicesapexi240sx has made poor choicesapexi240sx has made poor choicesapexi240sx has made poor choicesapexi240sx has made poor choicesapexi240sx has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to apexi240sx
both fan clutches and shrouds remain on my s13 sr20 and my s14 ka24... oem cooling setup is the best!
apexi240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 07:30 AM   #52
aNskY
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
aNskY is close to perfectionaNskY is close to perfectionaNskY is close to perfectionaNskY is close to perfectionaNskY is close to perfectionaNskY is close to perfectionaNskY is close to perfectionaNskY is close to perfectionaNskY is close to perfectionaNskY is close to perfectionaNskY is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to aNskY
Quote:
Originally Posted by g6civcx View Post
On my V8 I would have preferred to use a clutch fan and shroud, but due to engine placement so far back I couldn't find a clutch fan long enough to fit.

I'm using FAL fans which should only pull 19.5A, but the fans still drive the electronics in my car crazy with noise.

Your grounds are too far apart. ground everything at a grounding block near the -terminal and you'll notice the "noise" go bye bye!
aNskY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:46 AM   #53
Dream240
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
Dream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I have been down the "screw the clutch fan" road. Only to have my S14s constantly overheat at a light with the A/C on.

I just run the stock setup and keep my weight down to 175. (I hate fat arms)

Here's a question for you guys:

Can the infamous OEM fan blade cracking problem be solved by some epoxy or JB weld at the cracks? Anyone tried this? Does it mess with the balance and rotation of the fan if done properly? I need to figure something out before some fan blades jam their way into my engine bay.

Thanks.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:07 PM   #54
!Zar!
Post Whore!

!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Infamous?

I've NEVER thrown a fan blade.

I wouldn't worry about it.

As long as it's in good shape, you're fine.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:15 PM   #55
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
I kind of want a stock clutch fan and shroud now =(
Old 02-05-2009, 12:49 PM   #56
Dream240
Nissanaholic!

Dream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Infamous?

I've NEVER thrown a fan blade.

I wouldn't worry about it.

As long as it's in good shape, you're fine.
By infamous, I mean the actual cracking of EVERY fan blade at the base of the blade. Now I've yet to see a fan that didn't have this problem.

I'm sure it's heat related, and by infamous I mean very common.

And that's the problem......it's not in good shape if the blades are cracking at the base!! Right?!?
Old 02-05-2009, 02:21 PM   #57
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream240 View Post
By infamous, I mean the actual cracking of EVERY fan blade at the base of the blade. Now I've yet to see a fan that didn't have this problem.

I'm sure it's heat related, and by infamous I mean very common.

And that's the problem......it's not in good shape if the blades are cracking at the base!! Right?!?
None of my seven s-chassis' have had that problem.

Nor has other people local to me who use to/still do have 240's.

I'm not saying it's impossible for it to happen.

I'm just saying that that is hardly a reason for me to be worried or see that as a reason to upgrade.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:37 PM   #58
Dream240
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
None of my seven s-chassis' have had that problem.

Nor has other people local to me who use to/still do have 240's.

I'm not saying it's impossible for it to happen.

I'm just saying that that is hardly a reason for me to be worried or see that as a reason to upgrade.
I'm not talking about it being a reason for an upgrade. I was asking if repairing the cracks with some epoxy or JB weld would directly affect the rotating properties of the fan, thus doing more harm than good. Just opinions is all I'm really looking for.

I would say I've seen this problem on about 15 240s over the years. All 5 cars that have been in my possession, some I've bought trying to fix this problem, and then some on other owner's cars. All in all, a pretty wierd problem considering that the only wear and tear SHOULD be dirt on the blades. I guess I just live in the twilight zone part of CA.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:44 AM   #59
KrisLN

Trader Rating: (0)
KrisLN is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
So from this thread, I got that the only benefit of the electric fans are freeing up space. So if you were turbo charging the stock dual cam is it possible to run the stock clutch fan and shroud? Or would you need more space for the piping? And even then, would the clutch fan be able to keep the engine cool if it was turbo?
KrisLN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 01:16 AM   #60
joshg51
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
joshg51 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisLN View Post
So from this thread, I got that the only benefit of the electric fans are freeing up space. So if you were turbo charging the stock dual cam is it possible to run the stock clutch fan and shroud? Or would you need more space for the piping? And even then, would the clutch fan be able to keep the engine cool if it was turbo?
Yes it is possible to run stock shroud and fan setup with KA-T whether you're running stock sr20 side mount or aftermarket front mount setup. I'd recommend making sure your fan clutch works fine, upgrading to the gktech fan blade and using a good aluminum radiator. I see people with built SRs and KA-T setups stay perfectly in operating temp with this setup.