Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-01-2018, 07:54 PM   #1
mattrobertsxn
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
mattrobertsxn is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
ignition switch problem 240sx

so i couldnt get my car to crank, i could just hear the relays click. So i replaced the ignition switch this morning and bam car starts up. idles for 5 minutes perfectly.

// Backround info - BRAND NEW BATTERY. also coolant shot all over my alternator when a hose came off. I think it a lot hit the alternator but cant confirm because i was driving.

Also. I just ignored the wiring for my viper alarm since i just wanted to see if the ign switch was problem, so i just left the other ign switch hanging onto all the other wires that were spliced into it for my alarm. Not sure if my alarm is preventing me from turning over the car, and its not even remote start.

I attempt to turn on my headlights ( they dont work idk why) and the car shuts off instantly. They didnt even turn on and the motors didnt even flip up the lights. ????.

Get the car to start again, turn on headlights and they pop up, no problems this time.

car steadily idles then dies a couple minutes later and havent got it to start except once when i unplugged the ign switch and plugged it back in then car would crank again. Didnt start though because fuel pump was toggled off.

I used a multimeter and tested two wires connected to the switch, and when i turned the key, the volts dropped immediately from 12.5v to 0v

Now i cant get the car the crank at all. Will try again tomorrow i guess.

What do you guys think?

Please if you have any knowledge on electrical stuff, i would appreciate help. im not the brightest with electrical shit.
mattrobertsxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links