Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 09-12-2012, 06:43 PM   #1
enkei2k
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: (29)
enkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Lightbulb New Apple Products Announced! 2013 - Update *iPhone 5S/C

Apple announces iPhone 5, new iPods - GadgetBox on NBCNews.com

Quote:
Made from aluminum and glass, at 112 grams, it's 20 percent lighter than the iPhone 4S. Thinner too: at 7.6mm it's 18 percent thinner. As the rumors suggested, it looks like a taller version of the iPhone 4S.

You can pre-order the iPhone 5 on Sept. 14. On Sept. 21, it will be available. The iPhone 5 price is same as the old 4S, so in the U.S., $199 to $399, depending on the memory. The iPhone 4 8GB is now free with contract, and the 4S is $99.

The screen is more saturated, and the sensors in it are integrated right into the screen, for better viewing. Older apps run at the same size as they did in the previous iPhone, centered in place.

There's a brand new chip: the Apple A6 chip. Twice as fast in CPU and graphics performance. You get 1.5 to 2 times better performances launching Pages, saving images in iPhoto, and loading music.

Battery life is better than the iPhone 4S, says Schiller. You can expect 8 hours of 3G talk and browsing; 8 hours LTE browsing; 10 hours of Wi-Fi browsing and 10 hours of video. There will be 225 hours of standby. How many days is that? 9 and change?

The camera is similar in specs to the 4S — 8 megapixel, f/2.4 aperture — but made it smaller, and leveraged the processor to jack up the performance. There's a Panorama app that smart-stitches together beautiful, huge pictures.
and most importantly:

Quote:
Apple is ditching the 30-pin connector introduced in 2003. The new connector is the Lightning, an all-digital "8-signal" design. It's way more durable, and 80 percent smaller. There will be a 30-pin-to-Lightning adapter available, so you don't have to ditch your old car charger.
Who will be picking one up? I'm on the fence about it. I don't really want to go Apple just because everybody has one and it doesn't really do much for me.

xquizitditz
enkei2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2012, 07:16 PM   #2
RJF
Super Administrator & Bean Counter

Trader Rating: (0)
RJF has disabled reputation
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'll probably get one, since I skipped the upgrade to the 4S and I'm eligible on my contract.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:00 PM   #3
Future240
Future Moderator

Trader Rating: (17)
Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJF View Post
I'll probably get one, since I skipped the upgrade to the 4S and I'm eligible on my contract.
I tried to do this but my 3GS died on me(out of warranty) so I didn't have a choice. I guess I'll have to wait until the 5S next year.

Edit: what's with this talk of the grandfathered data plan getting nixed? I kept my when I went to 4S. If when I get the 5S and I have to get rid of my data pla. I will be pissed. I burn though about 2.9 gigs a month and that is with wifi at the crib.

Edit 2:
AT&T ftw
http://m.bgr.com/2012/09/12/att-ipho...lans-confirme/

Sorry Verizon users
http://www.iphonehacks.com/2012/09/v...data-plan.html
Future240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:56 PM   #4
TougeLove
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
TougeLove is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future240 View Post
There is a trick around this. If anyone has unlimited now and wants to upgrade without loosing it or paying full retail hit me up. Its legal.
TougeLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:16 PM   #5
word sux
Zilvia FREAK!

word sux is an unknown quantity at this point
so I am guessing they mean september 2013 correct
word sux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:24 PM   #6
turbo98
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
turbo98 is a glorious beacon of lightturbo98 is a glorious beacon of lightturbo98 is a glorious beacon of lightturbo98 is a glorious beacon of lightturbo98 is a glorious beacon of lightturbo98 is a glorious beacon of lightturbo98 is a glorious beacon of lightturbo98 is a glorious beacon of lightturbo98 is a glorious beacon of lightturbo98 is a glorious beacon of lightturbo98 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
NO, as in 2 weeks.
turbo98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:34 PM   #7
word sux
Zilvia FREAK!

word sux is an unknown quantity at this point
sweet I am due for an upgrade in november I will scoop this up then after the initial rush has died down
word sux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:42 PM   #8
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
I'll be picking up a iPhone 5 for sure...I'm just not in a huge rush to grab one...
tricky_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:01 PM   #9
atom
Zilvia FREAK!

atom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to all
Gonna wait till some reviews come out about the sound quality then I might get one. I carry way too much crap. Laptop, android tablet, android smartphone, and a DAP. I want to slim it down to a windows 8 tablet, smartphone, and a general media player so i don't drain battery on the phone. So depending on how the SQ is on the new ipod either

Android Phone / Ipod

or

Iphone 5 / Sony Walkman F
atom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:05 PM   #10
roboticnissan
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (12)
roboticnissan is making a name for him/her selfroboticnissan is making a name for him/her selfroboticnissan is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
I just heard on the news, theyre barely different, no serious upgrades to anything besides the gorilla glass and slightly larger. Also it costs apple 8$ to make each phone!!!!! Wtf!!! All tho im sure android phonea are made just as cheap.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:15 PM   #11
ZenkiKid
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
ZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Going to definitely pre order one this friday.
ZenkiKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:26 PM   #12
tqstarburst
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (2)
tqstarburst is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
No major upgrades so i'll just stick to my 4s.

Samsung still has the best phone out there with the galaxy imo.
tqstarburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:22 AM   #13
ZenkiKid
Post Whore!

ZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by tqstarburst View Post

True. If you have a 4S after IOS6 it will basically be the same phone. 4s gets almost all of the new features that the 5 will have.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:28 AM   #14
enkei2k
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: (29)
enkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by roboticnissan View Post
I just heard on the news, theyre barely different, no serious upgrades to anything besides the gorilla glass and slightly larger. Also it costs apple 8$ to make each phone!!!!! Wtf!!! All tho im sure android phonea are made just as cheap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tqstarburst View Post

Samsung still has the best phone out there with the galaxy imo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenkiKid View Post
True. If you have a 4S after IOS6 it will basically be the same phone. 4s gets almost all of the new features that the 5 will have.
So the new A6 chip doesn't count as a major upgrade to you all? Just curious. The only thing stopping me is Verizon. I'm grandfathered into their unlimited data plan for $30 a month and even though I'm for certain 2 GB is more than enough for me (since I turn on Wi-Fi at home), I don't want to give up the unlimited-ness. Their new share everything plan is ridiculous and is a losing situation for me and there is no way I'm paying full retail to keep my unlimited data because I've heard slight rumors that even though I still have the unlimited data, they will be killing it off regardless if I'm grandfathered in.

xquizitditz
enkei2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:22 PM   #15
SimpleS14
Post Whore!

SimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by enkei2k View Post
So the new A6 chip doesn't count as a major upgrade to you all? Just curious.
Technically, yes. In overall user experience, barely. This is because the new CPU is not taking advantage of any significant s/w enhancements or improvements to the user experience that's unavailable on the 4S. This is all just IMO.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:56 AM   #16
240drifter1
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
240drifter1 has a reputation beyond repute240drifter1 has a reputation beyond repute240drifter1 has a reputation beyond repute240drifter1 has a reputation beyond repute240drifter1 has a reputation beyond repute240drifter1 has a reputation beyond repute240drifter1 has a reputation beyond repute240drifter1 has a reputation beyond repute240drifter1 has a reputation beyond repute240drifter1 has a reputation beyond repute240drifter1 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 240drifter1
I have verizon right now with my 4S, and the 2gb per month thing is complete bullshit for $30 a month, I use wifi at home and work all the time and still use that shit by half the planning period.

Ill pick up a 5 when the rush dies down for them, and if there not much bigger then the 4, I hate big bulky phones and i hope there not much taller.
240drifter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:05 AM   #17
jamescarter
Leaky Injector

jamescarter is an unknown quantity at this point
Apple dropped the ball on this one! The new iphone, same as the old iphone.
jamescarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:23 AM   #18
LEG1T
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
LEG1T is close to perfectionLEG1T is close to perfectionLEG1T is close to perfectionLEG1T is close to perfectionLEG1T is close to perfectionLEG1T is close to perfectionLEG1T is close to perfectionLEG1T is close to perfectionLEG1T is close to perfectionLEG1T is close to perfectionLEG1T is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
DO YOUR RESEARCH FIRST.

There is not really anything new here with the Iphone 5...

If you have a 4S I cant see why you would want this..

Its nice look and all, but where is the WOW?
Old 09-19-2012, 08:16 PM   #19
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEG1T View Post
DO YOUR RESEARCH FIRST.

There is not really anything new here with the Iphone 5...

If you have a 4S I cant see why you would want this..

Its nice look and all, but where is the WOW?
Welcome to 2012. There are plenty of articles stating that we are now entering a "Decline-Phase" for cellphones.

Their abilities have far outpaced network support and we are now going to see diminishing returns. 4G-networks are already going to be outdated and with more users it will grind to the same sluggish pace as seen with standard data connections.

Additionally don't be expecting the "OMFG" effect we all had when the first iPhones came out rendering all the candybars, razors and blackberries obsolete. It will be like the computer world - every year new models that are moderately better spec'd come out.. but its nothing to right home about.

My contract for my 4 was up back in July... not sure how eager I am to slam down $200-300 for a 5... i know they'll have a 5S in the summer and the S-series always seem better overall value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLiDe_WaYz View Post
You can look this up, even called apple and they told me this: average lifetime on a iPhone is 2-3years, battery fails usually by that time, LCD goes out, speakers fail etc.

So idk if your 4s will last that long lol, my old i4 only lasted me 2 years then the LCD randomly broke and didn't hold a charge anymore.
Don't charge your shit off a cigarette lighter.
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:36 AM   #20
240sxdriftin
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (25)
240sxdriftin has much to be proud of240sxdriftin has much to be proud of240sxdriftin has much to be proud of240sxdriftin has much to be proud of240sxdriftin has much to be proud of240sxdriftin has much to be proud of240sxdriftin has much to be proud of240sxdriftin has much to be proud of240sxdriftin has much to be proud of240sxdriftin has much to be proud of240sxdriftin has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
^^ are you kidding me................
Old 09-13-2012, 10:59 AM   #21
dragonbreath

dragonbreath is an unknown quantity at this point
I dont do anything but surf the internet on my 4s and it does it well for me. I have never understood everyones rush to get the next best thing. Most of those people are satisfied with what they have however they think they need the next phone. There is nothing that this phone has that drives me to want it. When the 4s came out I still had the 3g. So the performance difference was HUGE. I actually enjoyed the difference as the 3g was so slow it couldnt even run the fb app. However my 4s does everything I need it to. Maybe when technology catches up and makes my 4s run slow as molasses Ill upgrade lol.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:04 AM   #22
Okinawandrifter87
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (22)
Okinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Def picking up mine but waiting till Oct 13th for when my contract is up for complete renewal.. the only thing that has me kinda iffy is the same thing that Vince is in.. I don't want to give up my grandfathered in unlimited data plan. Most likely I will still go with it anyway. You all can say your not hyped but everyone has their own opinion. I personally am hyped as I skipped the 4s and have not just hopped on the "apple bandwagon" as I have been an Apple user for a while now.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:15 PM   #23
daftphunk
Zilvia Addict

daftphunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Picking this phone up for sure. I have an iPhone 4 and have an upgrade, so it's a no brainer. Thing is, I am also Grandfathered in to AT&T's Unlimited Data plan. This month, with 10 days left in the billing cycle I have used 1.5 Gigs of data, but there are months when I have used up to 3 gigs of data... and $30 for 2 Gigs doesn't seem appealing. The share everything, unlimited plan, if I am not mistaken, looks to be a good deal better but isn't available for the iPhone or something.

Just curious though, to everybody who says it's not a huge improvement... what were you all expecting? When the phone is already so good, there's little you can do to improve it. What game changing features were you looking for in this phone? Perhaps if you have a 4S there is less interest in upgrading to the 5 but you get a slimmer phone, a larger screen, a faster phone at that, and an amazing battery life @ 8 hrs 3G talk time, 8 hrs LTE browsing, etc.

Sure, Wireless syncing would be great I suppose. But the data transfer via cable will always be faster. Do I need wireless charging? No. Obviously the biggest competitor for the iPhone 5 will be Samsung's Galaxy S3, and while I do agree that it is a nice phone and it has some features that the iPhone 5 does not have... are those features necessary? Am I going to want to tap phone backs with people to send pics? Etc. etc.

Just curious. I enjoy iOS over Android and that's just my preference. I haven't used an Android phone in forever and I am sure they have gotten better over the years, but playing with the Galaxy S3 doesn't do anything for me that playing with an iPhone 4S doesn't.
daftphunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:37 PM   #24
TheWolf
Zilvia FREAK!

TheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by daftphunk View Post

Sure, Wireless syncing would be great I suppose. .
That's already been implemented. Got it on mine.

I'll be getting one as well. Due for upgrade unless AT&T wants to deepsix my unlimited.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:10 PM   #25
ZenkiKid
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daftphunk View Post
Picking this phone up for sure. I have an iPhone 4 and have an upgrade, so it's a no brainer.

I am in the same boat as this guy. I only have a regular 4 but it is still pretty damn fast after all the daemon hacks I did to the phone.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:58 PM   #26
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I really wished they would have differentiated what was an iOS6 feature vs iPhone5. But, they are trying to sell the phone.
iPhone 5 vs. iPhone 4S: what's changed? -- Engadget
Old 09-13-2012, 09:24 PM   #27
g_mac530
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (11)
g_mac530 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via AIM to g_mac530
Im leaning toward a 5. But then again I still have an OG 3g. Yes, you read that right, a 3g not even a 3gs.
g_mac530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:42 PM   #28
godrifttoday
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (82)
godrifttoday is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 82 reviews
* Repost *
Old 09-13-2012, 09:57 PM   #29
colombianbryan
Zilvia Junkie

colombianbryan is an unknown quantity at this point
I called my local sprint store on wednesday to see if they were taking pre orders on friday and they actually started that day to write the down and putting them in the system i guess friday. Luckily im number 11 on the list so guess im getting it lol
Old 09-13-2012, 11:24 PM   #30
reallygood101
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (27)
reallygood101 will become famous soon enoughreallygood101 will become famous soon enoughreallygood101 will become famous soon enoughreallygood101 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by colombianbryan View Post
I called my local sprint store on wednesday to see if they were taking pre orders on friday and they actually started that day to write the down and putting them in the system i guess friday. Luckily im number 11 on the list so guess im getting it lol
lucky!!! i called my sprint and the guy said i had to wait til friday which ill b waiting til 2am to place my pre order online either on sprint or apples website, but i guess ill b gettin one since my blackberry bold is taking a crap on me, but im gonna hate the touch screen since im used to the keypad on the BB
reallygood101 is offline   Reply With Quote