Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:03 AM   #1
DamnedButDetermined
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
DamnedButDetermined is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Producing full boost early and keeping steady until redline...

I am just brainstorming here and i would like some people to think about this with me. I am not looking for a monster HP engine setup but I would like to produce 12 PSI at 3500 RPM and remain at 12 PSI until redline. Based on the displacement of the KA24 that would mean the compressor would have to be efficient at producing a pressure ratio of 1.88 from 17.63 lb/min to 36 lb/min of air flow. That is a pretty big gap and usually it would mean you would be anywhere from 65% to 80%, depending of the compressor used, throughout the rpm curve. This is a very useful calculator that will give you the CFM or LB/min based on engine and RPM...
Compressor Flow Map Calculator

I have been looking around at compressor maps from this page...
COMPRESSOR MAPS
And I think the TO4E "60" would be the best compressor for the job. It would keep me inside the 72% range and it stays inside the 80% range for a long time before dropping back down.

The next thing that has to be worried about it the turbine wheel would have to get up to speed quickly and then a good wastegate would have to keep the exhaust gasses in check for a very long time to keep the turbo from over spinning. I think this would be the Achilles Heal in this idea. Are wastegates reliable enough to do something like this without having to worry too much?

How do I size the turbine side of the compressor so that I can achieve the shaft RPM speeds necessary to keep the compressor at the right air flow? I am in the process of reading Maximum Boost right now but I need to reread the turbine section a couple more times before I know what I am talking about Reading comprehension was never my strong point!

Thanks for sitting through this brainstorm of mine and hopefully you guys can either steer me in the right direction without flaming me too hard

Zac
DamnedButDetermined is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2012, 05:58 AM   #2
Walperstyle
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (0)
Walperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Walperstyle
After I purchased my GT3582R I did a lot of math (see video)
update-Turbo Math, and what helped me - YouTube

Then, after I did a lot of paper math, I found Garrett's boost advisor. It is very good at helping you number crunch.

Personally a GTX series turbocharger, preferably a twin scroll will get you where you want to go. GT28-GT30 with an exhaust housing smaller then the .82 (what I have).

Again, you will get a lot of mixed opinions, but remember, the turbo is just the mechanical aspect of this. A good stand alone and degreeing your cams will allow you to move the power range more. Also the type of fuel you run plays a huge factor on how all of this gets put together, but I'm sure you know a lot of this already.

compressor with more fins should help it spool faster, but you don't want the 'static' fins. I believe the ones with the GTX come in a 8 fin now?

Don't get a GT3582R for a 4 cylinder unless you are building a group b monster. It spools late and might surge on pump gas. This is what I found out via math.

Sorry I can't go into detail, I'm still building my engine. It also took me several days doing some math and re-writing things down before I got use to it, I am a horrible teacher, and your numbers will be way different anyway.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:25 AM   #3
budderigs
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
budderigs is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
More knowledge of your setup is needed before an answer can be given. How much power do you want. What is your engine base 24e 24de? What cams? What redline?

I am going to assume your running a mostly stock 24de with a turbo. You will want a 6cm2 or .47ar 55ish mm turbine. With a 400ish cfm compressor.
budderigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:03 PM   #4
rb25_s13*CHUKI
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
rb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to rb25_s13*CHUKI
Get a .50 trim turbo
Old 09-17-2012, 01:06 PM   #5
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
I think a TO4E 50 trim would be perfect because of the following reasons:
A: cheap
B: Standard and proven 380 WHP turbocharger
C: cheap
D: Use a 48 turbine and it will spool the way you want
Old 09-17-2012, 03:05 PM   #6
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Yah, I'll be the first one to tell you not to go GT3582R, shit didnt spool up till 5k on my SR. My vote would be a .86 trim GT2871R if you decide to go with the typical T2 flange, should be fully spooled by 3500.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:02 PM   #7
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Here is a 50 vs 60 trim from one of my previous SR20

on a 2.4 it will spool even faster
Attached Images
File Type: jpg overlay1.jpg (103.8 KB, 7 views)