Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 08-27-2012, 06:50 AM   #631
waste_of_space
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (22)
waste_of_space is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
I notched my core support to slide my radiator maybe an inch and a half forward, and I don't have a condenser, but I'm sure I could make one fit if I wanted/needed to.

And I agree with bullfrog about th tstat. Because it opens at a lower temp initially, it helps with most overheating issues. Like I stated, with stock thermo I was running around 210, and with the mishimoto, I'm only running around 160. When I track my car, I don't want 210 to be a starting point, imagine how much more heat it will create. So since I can start at 160, that gives me +50 degrees to play around with and not have to worry about overheating. Now if you have a blown headgasket or some other cooling issue, then yes, the low temp thermo will just be a bandaid.

Also, care to clarify your scammer status/3 previously banned usernames? (天国)
waste_of_space is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2012, 12:31 PM   #632
Black R
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
Black R is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by waste_of_space View Post
Swap in a low temp thermo if you haven't already! It helps out tremendously.

Flick's definitely right about 2j s13's running real hot. Mine was running around 210 on stock thermo. Mishimoto dropped it to around 160.

Wait, so the mishimoto thermostat dropped your temps with no other changes?!
Black R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:47 PM   #633
Flicktitty
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
Flicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Flicktitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullfrogg0 View Post
that article is retarded. if you run a lower thermostat then the water stays at a lower temp so when you experience a load or turning on the ac the system is at a lower starting temp to begin with meaning the cooling system doesn't have to work so hard to maintain a certain temp. cooler temps are easier to maintain because it keeps heat overall to a minimum
Take it from first hand experiance. i had a OEM Toyota Thermostat and 2 12" Puller fans, car would run hot. Went single turbo car ran slighly cooler. Upgraded to better fans. car ran a little cooler (sill 200+) Upgraded to a Koyo radiator (from a CXracing) car was still in the 200ish range but seemed to take longer to get there and cooled off quicker. Then upgraded to Twin flex a lite 12" fans and a TRD Thermostat this winter and the car stays around 175-185doing multiple dyno pulls in a 110 degree shop.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:02 PM   #634
dpkid101
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (7)
dpkid101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Does anybody know where I can find the 1jz bellhousing flywheel inspection covers other than directly from toyota? I read a thread from a while back that people were getting some cheap carbon fiber alternatives off of ebay but I cant seem to find anything anymore.
dpkid101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:04 PM   #635
waste_of_space
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black R View Post
Wait, so the mishimoto thermostat dropped your temps with no other changes?!

Yup! OEM is around 82 C I believe, and the mishimoto one is rated to open at 62 C. Now that's only about a 36 degree F difference but when cruising the difference is nearly 50F haha.

I have a koyo n flow radiator with dual FAL fans
Old 08-27-2012, 04:03 PM   #636
tengoku

Trader Rating: (-2)
tengoku is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: -2 reviews
Flicktitty, do you have an A/C system setup on yours?
tengoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:44 PM   #637
waste_of_space
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpkid101 View Post
Does anybody know where I can find the 1jz bellhousing flywheel inspection covers other than directly from toyota? I read a thread from a while back that people were getting some cheap carbon fiber alternatives off of ebay but I cant seem to find anything anymore.
Are you talking about the rubber insert? Driftmotion sells them.

Welcome to Driftmotion!
Old 08-27-2012, 04:55 PM   #638
florante rea
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (43)
florante rea is a glorious beacon of lightflorante rea is a glorious beacon of lightflorante rea is a glorious beacon of lightflorante rea is a glorious beacon of lightflorante rea is a glorious beacon of lightflorante rea is a glorious beacon of lightflorante rea is a glorious beacon of lightflorante rea is a glorious beacon of lightflorante rea is a glorious beacon of lightflorante rea is a glorious beacon of lightflorante rea is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 43 reviews
Send a message via AIM to florante rea Send a message via Yahoo to florante rea
Anyone looking for 2jzge or gte heads hit me up guys. I don't need those right now. 6109375052.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:13 PM   #639
dpkid101
Zilvia Member

dpkid101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by waste_of_space View Post
Are you talking about the rubber insert? Driftmotion sells them.

Welcome to Driftmotion!
Oh I actually do need that to but I am talking about those inspection holes on the left and right side of the bellhousing where it looks like two plates bolt to.

dpkid101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:27 PM   #640
Flicktitty
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
Flicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Flicktitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by tengoku View Post
Flicktitty, do you have an A/C system setup on yours?
No sir. No A/c in this.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:31 AM   #641
tengoku

That's why, I have A/C and the condenser is still at the stock location reducing the airflow.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:53 AM   #642
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (33)
2muchboost is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
Have you thought about using a Civic condensor? Its smaller than the OEM unit but still functions very well. I have seen these used on High HP Evo's and have seen a few 240sx running them with success as well. This should free up some space and allow for adequate cooling. However, there was someone on here using an OEM setup down in Florida and had 0 issues using the Koyo, E-Fan, and Mishimoto setup. Let me see if I can dig up the info.
2muchboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:57 AM   #643
waste_of_space
Zilvia Addict

I live in Florida. But have no AC lol (that's what my xB is for )

And tengoku, you said you have an s14 right? As far as I know, you have a little bit more clearance in your engine bay. I have two friends in this area that have 1j's in their 14's, and I don't think they had to notch their core supports at all. (also, I only notched my core support for fan clearance so I could run my dual FALs as puller fans like they were originally designed)

Also, you sure your condenser fan is kicking on?

And how's your front bumper/ airflow to the condenser? Maybe you can build some sort of fresh air intake tube that lets cool outside air blow onto the condenser to see if that solves your problem. I know billion makes kits that are basically a huge velocity stack with (basically) drier tubing that you can use to route air lol

Sounds kind of silly but it helps. I had a small oil cooler mounted on the backside of my front mount on my old 180, and I used a billion air duct setup and it worked perfectly.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:26 PM   #644
Minz
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Minz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How do I get the measurements?
Unfortunately my S13 didn't come with a sway bar so I can't directly compare..
Minz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:47 PM   #645
tengoku

Still no luck!! We did almost everything; flushing the coolant, cleaning the fins, eliminating the thermostat, aligning IC, condenser, and radiator like | | instead of | \, taking off the hood, connecting the fans directly to power, and yet no result.

As I have mentioned before, it only overheats when A/C is on (cruising). So here are my questions:

1. Do condensers put out enough heat to where it hinders the radiator from cooling?
2. Should I consider using a civic condenser instead of the stock S14? How much smaller is it? Because the S14 condenser covers the whole Koyo radiator.
3. Should I purchase an oil cooler?

Old 08-29-2012, 09:06 PM   #646
bullfrogg0
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
bullfrogg0 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
oil cooler yes. also make some ducting to go between the radiator, fmic and bottom of the front bumper to basically force air thru everything. a cooling plate on top will help when you make a lower air dam
bullfrogg0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:33 PM   #647
tengoku

I already did the ducting.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:49 AM   #648
bullfrogg0
Zilvia Member

I'm out of ideas then. lol
Old 08-30-2012, 05:00 AM   #649
thefro526
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
thefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minz View Post
How do I get the measurements?
Unfortunately my S13 didn't come with a sway bar so I can't directly compare..
Measure from the bolt hole to the inside of furthest point out on the bar (the part that would be in front of the oil pan). Also from the bolt hole to the sway bar mounts.
thefro526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:49 AM   #650
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (33)
2muchboost is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
I believe I looked at an aftermarket civicl condenser and it was approx. 1/2 the size of the stock S14 unit.

OM1kron also used a Porsche condenser unit.
2muchboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:07 AM   #651
tengoku

I came to a conclusion that my dual flex a lite fans are not pulling enough air for the setup. The temp started to rise with no A/C when I quickly let off the throttle and put the gear in neutral after a heavy acceleration (up to 6k full boost).
Old 08-31-2012, 03:11 AM   #652
jackal264
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
jackal264 has much to be proud ofjackal264 has much to be proud ofjackal264 has much to be proud ofjackal264 has much to be proud ofjackal264 has much to be proud ofjackal264 has much to be proud ofjackal264 has much to be proud ofjackal264 has much to be proud ofjackal264 has much to be proud ofjackal264 has much to be proud ofjackal264 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
does anyone know where to get oem harness plugs? i want to build a new harness from scratch but don't know where to buy the plugs.
jackal264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:57 AM   #653
bullfrogg0
Zilvia Member

you'll have to get part #'s and then buy them from Toyota
Old 08-31-2012, 05:38 AM   #654
jackal264
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
jackal264 has much to be proud ofjackal264 has much to be proud ofjackal264 has much to be proud ofjackal264 has much to be proud ofjackal264 has much to be proud ofjackal264 has much to be proud ofjackal264 has much to be proud ofjackal264 has much to be proud ofjackal264 has much to be proud ofjackal264 has much to be proud ofjackal264 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullfrogg0 View Post
you'll have to get part #'s and then buy them from Toyota
but you can actually get them from toyota? that's good to know
jackal264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:17 AM   #655
bullfrogg0
Zilvia Member

pretty sure you can, just have to find the part #'s. after all, the jz engine was ran in different cars until 2000 something
Old 08-31-2012, 06:42 AM   #656
thefro526
Nissanaholic!

thefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackal264 View Post
does anyone know where to get oem harness plugs? i want to build a new harness from scratch but don't know where to buy the plugs.
Tweak'd performance sells most of them. Connectors and Terminals : Tweakd Performance Online Store

Though, you might be better of buying a cut harness on the cheap and taking any salvageable plugs off of that.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:54 AM   #657
ATLspeed
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (14)
ATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Now maybe its just me But Are the motor mounts supposed to look like this? eBay mounts to add.
*Would have bought excessive mounts if I known they made them months ago.

I tried switching them.and moving but I can't imagine how this would line up straight in the bay.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:37 PM   #658
thefro526
Nissanaholic!

IIRC, you have to shuffle some stuff around on the block to get access to the right holes for one of the mounts. If you look, you should see a second set of holes with the correct spacing. Or at least that's how my Zerolift mounts were, and I believe the Ebays are a copy of the ZL mount.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:22 PM   #659
razmus
Zilvia Junkie

razmus has a little shameless behavior in the past
STUPID late to this thread....

I started my swap in my S13 while I had my S14 up for sale. Long story short, sold the S13 first, kept the S14. Started the 2J swap summertime 2011, and its currently just...sitting there

making the mounts:

I want to do a single turbo and have 80% of the parts ready. I still need the driveshaft, PTE turbo, and AEM w/sensors. The most expensive parts lol. Hopefully Ill be able to get the remaining parts soon to have the S14 done!

Heres the S14 w/SR:

Here's how it sitting:

razmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:15 PM   #660
ATLspeed
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (14)
ATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefro526 View Post
IIRC, you have to shuffle some stuff around on the block to get access to the right holes for one of the mounts. If you look, you should see a second set of holes with the correct spacing. Or at least that's how my Zerolift mounts were, and I believe the Ebays are a copy of the ZL mount.
I tries, but I'll try again. Maybe I just...Idunno.

Anyone know where to get an e10 connector w/pigtail!! I need this to get my motor started. I don't have any lexus' or Toyota's at our junkyard like that.