Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 11-06-2013, 12:25 PM   #3031
05subysti
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
05subysti is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
500whp in an s chassis is plenty.

is there anyone running a borgwarner s366/s400? also act xtreme heavy duty 6 puck?

zero lift how would you review the competition stage 5 clutch, and what flywheel are you using?
05subysti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2013, 12:40 PM   #3032
Zerolift Autolab
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
Zerolift Autolab has a brilliant futureZerolift Autolab has a brilliant futureZerolift Autolab has a brilliant futureZerolift Autolab has a brilliant futureZerolift Autolab has a brilliant futureZerolift Autolab has a brilliant futureZerolift Autolab has a brilliant futureZerolift Autolab has a brilliant futureZerolift Autolab has a brilliant futureZerolift Autolab has a brilliant futureZerolift Autolab has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Zerolift Autolab
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05subysti View Post

is there anyone running a borgwarner s366/s400? also act xtreme heavy duty 6 puck?

zero lift how would you review the competition stage 5 clutch, and what flywheel are you using?

We are using the Comp Steel Flywheel
the Stage 5 has held up great over the season.
it is not very street friendly using a rigid disc but has performed
pretty well at the track and withstood a good amount of abuse.
Email - [email protected]

Zerolift facebook - http://www.facebook.com/Zerolift

Zerolift Autolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:27 PM   #3033
BiG MiKE86
Nissanaholic!

BiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to BiG MiKE86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerolift Autolab View Post
The lines are going to a custom catch can that we fabricated
There are Bulkhead fittings welded to the can that stick thru the firewall heater core
inlet / outlet holes.
The catch can is baffled and externally vented in the engine bay.

* What photos are you interested in seeing?
Sweet any random photos of this setup would be cool nothing specific

Selling these catch cans?
Old 11-06-2013, 01:47 PM   #3034
Chronicle
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
Chronicle is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Question for anyone with experience with the 2JZ VVT-i setups. Is there really no work-around to get past the ECU's immobilizer (if it was installed with one)? Will I have to source an older ECU for the engine? I'm going to pick up the engine (with everything else) on Saturday and this was just on my mind.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:57 PM   #3035
Zerolift Autolab
Post Whore!

Zerolift Autolab has a brilliant futureZerolift Autolab has a brilliant futureZerolift Autolab has a brilliant futureZerolift Autolab has a brilliant futureZerolift Autolab has a brilliant futureZerolift Autolab has a brilliant futureZerolift Autolab has a brilliant futureZerolift Autolab has a brilliant futureZerolift Autolab has a brilliant futureZerolift Autolab has a brilliant futureZerolift Autolab has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronicle View Post
Question for anyone with experience with the 2JZ VVT-i setups. Is there really no work-around to get past the ECU's immobilizer (if it was installed with one)? Will I have to source an older ECU for the engine? I'm going to pick up the engine (with everything else) on Saturday and this was just on my mind.
There are 2 Different ECU's for the 2JZGTE VVTI motor sets.
The ones with the immobilizer will have an extra plug next to the primary harness plug.
The ones without the extra slot are the Non Immobilizer computers.

Old 11-06-2013, 02:02 PM   #3036
Chronicle
Leaky Injector

Quote:
There are 2 Different ECU's for the 2JZGTE VVTI motor sets.
The ones with the immobilizer will have an extra plug next to the primary harness plug.
The ones without the extra slot are the Non Immobilizer computers.
I knew about the actual differences, but I'm about 95% sure the motorset I'm picking up is the newer ECU with the immobilizer. Am I just SOL for it? If I can avoid spending another $200 that would be great. It won't break my heart if I do though, considering I'm already getting a great deal on the engine.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:07 PM   #3037
Zerolift Autolab
Post Whore!

Using the ECU that I mentioned without the immobilizer Ive had customers swap those motors into all sorts of vehicles.
93 Toyota Pickup / 98 Ford Ranger / 82 Celica Supra
Of course your biggest hurdle is the wiring conversion.

Old 11-06-2013, 02:16 PM   #3038
Chronicle
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Using the ECU that I mentioned without the immobilizer Ive had customers swap those motors into all sorts of vehicles.
93 Toyota Pickup / 98 Ford Ranger / 82 Celica Supra
Of course your biggest hurdle is the wiring conversion.
I'm pretty set on having my harness sent to be converted once I get to that point. I don't want to mix any of that up.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:24 PM   #3039
AS240
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (18)
AS240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
I read somewhere a while back that an experienced locksmith is able to fix/disable immobilizers in certain ecu's.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:05 PM   #3040
turbob16ef
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (13)
turbob16ef is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:

I plan on using the s366 with probly the billet 11 blade.
Starting off with the .91 divided.
Thread on sf, people were saying to go with the 1.xx housing.
Talked to the person I bought my v2 from; he had a .83 divided, and claims he was making boost by 3100.
turbob16ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:07 PM   #3041
AS240
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (18)
AS240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
You guys should look into clutchmasters clutches. I've done tons of research looking for the best non-twin disc for a r154. I'll be running a FX500 on my setup;stock pedal feel but grabs hard when you need it to. There have been too many failures with competition/act/excedy/southbend for my liking. That's just my own opinion though. Do your own research. Don't just take one guy's opinion on it.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:27 PM   #3042
turbob16ef
Zilvia Junkie

Ill be using exedy twin. Ill see how it holds up to about 750ish. Or the trans. Lol.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:13 PM   #3043
91ka24
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (11)
91ka24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Could someone please take a pic of the crank position sensor plugs for me ASAP. I depinned the plugs on that side of the motor when I went single and totally forgot about the crank sensor. I just need to know what the color of the 2 wires on the male side are
Old 11-07-2013, 08:05 AM   #3044
Chronicle
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by AS240 View Post
I read somewhere a while back that an experienced locksmith is able to fix/disable immobilizers in certain ecu's.
You're probably right, but having a locksmith unlock the ECU would probably cost the about the same as buying a 97-00 VVT-i ECU off of ebay.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:31 AM   #3045
reynas14
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
reynas14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91ka24 View Post
Could someone please take a pic of the crank position sensor plugs for me ASAP. I depinned the plugs on that side of the motor when I went single and totally forgot about the crank sensor. I just need to know what the color of the 2 wires on the male side are
Hey man heres a pic as it come straight from the sensor than this wire that the plug in the pic is attached to. That plug goes into the harness. So this should be what you need right?

Also I got my stock harness off and have pics as well. Its for sale if anyone needs one. Got my gates goodies in too so ill be putting the gates h2o pump/tensioners/belt on very soon. Just need to find someone help me get that pesky crank bolt off. That things a bum man lol

The wires are red and white just in case you cant see the white very well. Took it off of my phone...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20131107_131818.jpg (494.9 KB, 27 views)
reynas14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:49 PM   #3046
ATLspeed
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (14)
ATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Quote:
...also act xtreme heavy duty 6 puck?
It's not bad to me, granted I have daily driven on 4 puck unsprung before on my ka-t.
From my personal experience I wouldn't use an ACT clutch again. Reason I say this is because one of the dowels/rivets came loose on my pressure plate and wrecked havoc on my bellhousing and flywheel.

*A guy I met had the same thing happened to his, also a friend of mine had his clutch disk fuse/weld to the flywheel
Old 11-07-2013, 08:31 PM   #3047
turbob16ef
Zilvia Junkie

I've heard a lot of bad things from the act extreme. I've heard they can take the abuse, and if your lucky stay together and be fine.
Also heard that they are just to harsh. Such as atlspeed happening. and them pushing the crank, causing crank issues, or thrust washers fall out.

I was on edge of buying act extreme, just to many horror stories, true or not.
Heard lots of good thing with southbend, or even the stocker if your not shooting for more than 400ish.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:31 PM   #3048
xoxide
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
xoxide is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Selling this if anyone is interested make me an offer. Has drift motion capacitor fix installed.
xoxide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:46 PM   #3049
turbob16ef
Zilvia Junkie

Just bought my polished Titan cam gears, and Titan billet tensioner. 350 shipped for both Bnib.
If anyone else wants a tensioner ($150shipped) I will send the link. Said he has a couple more.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:46 AM   #3050
93egallmotor
Leaky Injector

93egallmotor is an unknown quantity at this point
does anyone know if the 1jz swap requires a sway bar spacer as well? wasnt sure if that was 2j specific, thanks!
Old 11-08-2013, 10:32 AM   #3051
reynas14
Leaky Injector

Hey what do yous guys think about installing a fuel cell? Looks like decent ones are like 160, and since im going to be running new an stainless lines anyways was wondering if i should just install this and not worry about working with the weirdly molded s14 i have now (stock).

My plans for the car right now is to go single right away and do about 500 horse. Than as i save more money up get around 700 on e85. Its going to be a car i can drive 3-4 times a week or like weekends and such. Thoughts?

Scratch that, dont want to tube it lol
Old 11-08-2013, 12:55 PM   #3052
turbob16ef
Zilvia Junkie

i think all 1/2j swaps require sway bar spacer or sikky sway. Unless your using the tech2 kit.

Whatever mounts you get im sure will specify or someone on hereknows if spacers or aftermarket sway is needed.
Old 11-08-2013, 03:07 PM   #3053
xoxide
Post Whore!

^Thats not true...

I have ZeroLift mounts and my jz clears the stock sway bar fine... Its super close, but it clears.
Old 11-08-2013, 03:46 PM   #3054
boostedoxide
Zilvia Member

boostedoxide is an unknown quantity at this point
I know this is more of a supraforums topic but i was hoping someone else on here might have ran into a similar issue with a 240/2JZ swap.

Id like to do the aristo 2JZGTE VVTI swap into a 98-05 lexus GS300.

From what I've read the Aristo/GS300 are virtually the same chassis and swapping the 2JZGTE is almost a total plug and play job with little to no modifications.

As far as build plans go i would do a single turbo setup on mild boost to keep it a nice daily driver. Id like to keep the motor pretty much stock minus a single turbo setup, piggyback tune, fuel rail/injectors and a bigger intake manifold and throttle body to smoothly move more air. There are plenty of choices of choosing a 2JZ intake manifold but they all seem to require using a cable driven throttle body with no plugs for factory sensors, as opposed to the drive by wire style unit on the factory VVTI throttle body from the aristo.

Since this would be a daily driver, retaining as many options as possible is the goal (cruise control, traction control, etc) Or trying to keep the car as "factory" as it could be. .. with no check engine lights at the end!

So the problem i have run into is trying to change the factory 2JZ VVTI intake manifold to a large plenum style with intake runners AND keep the cruise control, traction control, drive by wire, etc.. AND.. the new manifold would have to still have to have clearance in the GS300 body (IE: clearing the driver side strut tower)

I have a fabricator that could probably weld the VVTI throttle body to a different manifold, but that would still leave me with a 75mm throttle body which in my opinion, is way to small for any kind of single turbo/2JZ application. But that would be considered a last resort method..

Im not totally sure about this, but from what I have read the only way to retain the traction control/cruise control systems in this swap is to use the factory throttle body assembly that the motor was made with.. I didnt know if that was true or not so i wanted to seek public opinion.

any help would be appreciated, thank you!

NOTE: when I say VVTI throttle body, i am referring to the one that has the (ETCS-I) plate on the top of the throttle body.
boostedoxide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:45 PM   #3055
Black R
Zilvia Addict

Black R is an unknown quantity at this point
^ don't change IM or throttle body.

There are plenty of people making over 500whp on the oem IM and TB, so don't waste your time and $, when it could be better spent elsewhere - especially since you don't have lofty power goals.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:58 PM   #3056
Flicktitty
Post Whore!

Flicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Flicktitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbob16ef View Post
i think all 1/2j swaps require sway bar spacer or sikky sway. Unless your using the tech2 kit.

Whatever mounts you get im sure will specify or someone on hereknows if spacers or aftermarket sway is needed.
Tec2 kit requires spacers.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:51 PM   #3057
turbob16ef
Zilvia Junkie

Thanks for the corrections. And clearing that up.
I was kind of under the impression that the tec2 would be able to retainer stock sway, specially sense they mod the subframe.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:05 PM   #3058
xoxide
Post Whore!

So what is the "best" forum as far as classifieds go for 1/2j? There are a ton of supra forums, and none none with classifieds seemed all that active.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:12 PM   #3059
turbob16ef
Zilvia Junkie

Supra forums classifieds are that bad, I've seen/gotten pretty good deals on there.
Clublexus also, but they're kinda slack on the 2jz stuff. Sc300/400 fs thread I have also seen/gotten good deals.

Supramania to me kinda sucks, or at least can't figure it out. Lol.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:25 AM   #3060
reynas14
Leaky Injector

Hey i forgot that i needed the water pump back housing when i got my gates kit. I have an aristo 2jzgte, you guys know if i can go to the junk yard and just pull a 2jzge water pump back housing off and use it on mine? Thanks