Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-24-2011, 10:27 PM   #3061
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Matej: Here you go. POWER MOVE!: Proud to announce
Old 08-24-2011, 10:28 PM   #3062
DC Dan MAX USA
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (79)
DC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 79 reviews
Don't know for sure right now on final price but so far it's looking like 25% less than the others.
How To order: You can order directly from our zilvia advertiser threads. When you add to cart, you get an instant shipping estimate, & the cart will remember all of your items as you move between forum threads and our website www.poweredbymax.net until you remove them or check out. I can also calculate estimates manually for you but the cart's estimates are way faster and more accurate.
Order Inquiry: IM me your real name and paypal address.
Thanks for your business!
DC Dan MAX USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:49 AM   #3063
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Dan MAX USA View Post

Parts Shop MAX PRO steering knuckle modification:

$400 plus return shipping
Availability - NOW

This is the most aggressive knuckle available today with up to 62 degrees of angle, 45mm roll center correction and the lowest possible ackerman.

caution! - this is only for real men who relentlessly pursue the art of throwing cars at 90+ degrees of drift angle
wussies need not apply.
Gosh dang it Dan, just when I'm all set to make my own set of knuckles, you come out with the next step up.

Parts look awesome as usual.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:05 AM   #3064
SicBastard
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
SicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Some of those backwards entries are insane!!! And 45mm of correction... Nice work as usual MAX.
SicBastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:58 AM   #3065
DC Dan MAX USA
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (79)
DC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 79 reviews
Thanks guys! My car was already dialed in with the old setup but it would almost drift itself which was still fun but the predictability made me look for more...power, or so I thought. Now with the new quicker, lower ackerman knuckles and the reduction of caster with the new LCA / pro coil over top plate, the car wants to accept my input more instead of having it's own happy trajectory. Being able to throw it so much harder and sustain the drift down the straights longer means that I am using wide open throttle so much longer than ever before, so I am drifting with more speed, angle and smoke. Bottom line is the car is more exciting to drive.

In the video I am just getting to know it again but Kado gave me backwards entry training, and it's way out of my comfort zone. I can throw 90 degree entry intuitively but to do what kado does, it's counter intuitive. It feels like your falling off a cliff to me right now so with the new setup I have a lot of work to do to bring my driving level up to the cars capability. Initially it felt very different, but it is growing on me quickly and I can tell there is way more room to push the limits of my car and it's little stock turbo.
How To order: You can order directly from our zilvia advertiser threads. When you add to cart, you get an instant shipping estimate, & the cart will remember all of your items as you move between forum threads and our website www.poweredbymax.net until you remove them or check out. I can also calculate estimates manually for you but the cart's estimates are way faster and more accurate.
Order Inquiry: IM me your real name and paypal address.
Thanks for your business!
DC Dan MAX USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:04 AM   #3066
swiftmini
Zilvia Member

swiftmini is an unknown quantity at this point
Parts shop max is so gangsta its unreal
Old 08-25-2011, 09:06 AM   #3067
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
ka-titties is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
$150 for a skid plate? come on. i'm not fucking retarded.

anyway, that rack spacer looks really nice. and those entries were sick.
ka-titties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:21 PM   #3068
Matej
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
MAX gentlemen, it would be totally radical if you made some cool super-elastic dust boots to match with all your other neat steering items. Possibly to also accommodate the offset spacers or spaced out tie rods better than the hard OEM boots.

I was considering purchasing these Megan silicone ones, but blue does not really go with my colour scheme.

Matej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:55 PM   #3069
!Zar!
Post Whore!

!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Just buy the megan ones and paint them with latex/rubber paint.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:54 PM   #3070
s14unimog
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (22)
s14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Send a message via AIM to s14unimog
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Dan MAX USA View Post
Ryans car is truely amazing, did you all see this???
I see a lot of front tire dragging, huge loss of momentum and unintended line changes.

SHIFTlock_slide to side

d3m3rs0n: if i have a baby im naming it Brandons Fault Emerson
s14unimog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 02:31 PM   #3071
Motary
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Motary is making a name for him/her selfMotary is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Motary
I have a question about this:

What if I change the angle of the steering arm pickup point to match that of the lower control arm balljoint one?
Motary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 01:04 PM   #3072
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Then your tie rod ends won't thread into your tie rods. The end won't have enough articulation angle to handle that kind of shank angle.

Old 08-28-2011, 01:24 PM   #3073
jumpman2334
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
jumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matej View Post
I was considering purchasing these Megan silicone ones, but blue does not really go with my colour scheme.
are you really serious right now?
jumpman2334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 01:57 PM   #3074
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpman2334 View Post
Yes, he is. Now if you don't have something constructive to add, go away.

Old 08-28-2011, 04:16 PM   #3075
Motary
Zilvia Junkie

Motary is making a name for him/her selfMotary is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via MSN to Motary
Okay, that figures, so the only way to use these long shanks is to move the toe arm pickup point to keep factory ackermann angle right
Motary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:55 PM   #3076
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motary View Post
Okay, that figures, so the only way to use these long shanks is to move the toe arm pickup point to keep factory ackermann angle right
Yes it is. Might as well shorten the steering arm while you're at it, quicker steering is nice.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:09 PM   #3077
Z33dori
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
Z33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
so with the increased steering speed with knuckles, does this allow you to maintain faster steering return w/o running 9 degrees of caster?
Old 08-29-2011, 05:03 AM   #3078
Matej
Post Whore!

Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpman2334 View Post
Yes and no and yes.

Can anyone confirm that S14/R33/R33/Y33/Z32 FLCA are the same length?
I have been researching if there was a longer interchangeable OEM arm made.

It seems there was not.

Last edited by Matej; 08-29-2011 at 05:52 AM..
Old 08-29-2011, 05:50 AM   #3079
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

S14 and R33 arms are the same length. I don't know about Y33 or Z32.

Maxima arm doesn't have the right hole pattern for bolting up the tension rods.

If you want a longer LCA, I would say you should just cut and extend some stock ones. It's like $80 shipped from rockauto.com for a new pair, and having someone cut and extend them is like...$50 or something. I plan on doing this myself soon. I'll get some pictures up soon.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:33 PM   #3080
Matej
Post Whore!

Tell me how silly this is, but what if instead of extending the FLCA for more camber, one would just drill out new holes in the front subframe to move them out more? It seems there is enough room on both S13 and S14 front subframes for it. This would also allow for the FLCA to be mounted higher.

Sorry for using your picture, 95KA-Turbo.

Of course, new holes would need to be drilled in the arm for the tension rod and swaybar to line up.
Would this be dumb and unsafe?
Old 08-29-2011, 06:43 PM   #3081
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matej View Post
Tell me how silly this is, but what if instead of extending the FLCA for more camber, one would just drill out new holes in the front subframe to move them out more? It seems there is enough room on both S13 and S14 front subframes for it. This would also allow for the FLCA to be mounted higher.

Of course, new holes would need to be drilled in the arm for the tension rod and swaybar to line up.
Would this be dumb and unsafe?
It's what Silkroad used to do. Just higher up though. I don't think they moved it out.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:23 PM   #3082
95KA-Turbo
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
The only real issue you have with moving the LCA inner mount up is getting your tie rods parallel so you don't have bump steer. I believe the tension rod has just as much room it can move up as the LCA inner pickup can, so that's just as simple of a fix.

Have you considered taking your coilover perches to a machine shop and having them drill another top hole in them like 10-15mm further in? You'd loose inner clearance between the coilover and wheel but you'd gain a lot of camber and not mess up your other suspension stuff - not to mention adding a spacer would probably be in order for the added camber.

Instagram - SJKnoop
95KA-Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:53 PM   #3083
SicBastard
Zilvia Addict

SicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the rough
You also add quite a bit of anit-dive, unless you raise the tension rod the same amount.
SicBastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:26 PM   #3084
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Extending the LCA is by far the best option. It gives you more tension rod and sway bar clearance and doesn't mess with your steering axis, bumpsteer, or anti-dive.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:38 PM   #3085
95KA-Turbo
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Doesn't it also push the whole wheel further out?

So by lengthening the LCA you get a wider track width and more negative camber - where as a new top hole for the coilover perch gives you less wheel inner clearance and....? I would assume it effects the kingpin angle negatively if you do it excessively.

Instagram - SJKnoop
95KA-Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:44 PM   #3086
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Yes, wider track and more camber. The camber can be taken out with a top mount, which also corrects steering axis, and bam, no negative effects.

Re-drilling the lower mount changes your steering axis, alters how much tire contact you have at lock, and doesn't help your sway bar or tension rod clearance.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:03 PM   #3087
Patrick Bowering
Leaky Injector

Patrick Bowering is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95KA-Turbo View Post
Have you considered taking your coilover perches to a machine shop and having them drill another top hole in them like 10-15mm further in? You'd loose inner clearance between the coilover and wheel but you'd gain a lot of camber and not mess up your other suspension stuff - not to mention adding a spacer would probably be in order for the added camber.
This messes with scrub radius and steering axis inclination really badly doesnt it? The Ultimate Handling Guide Part 8: Understanding Your Caster, King Pin Inclination and Scrub this goes over king pin inclination and scrub radius. Or am i just being crazy.
Patrick Bowering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:47 AM   #3088
!Zar!
Post Whore!

If you all are increasing front track, what are you doing to increase the rear track?

Why do you want/need more camber?
Old 08-30-2011, 10:10 AM   #3089
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Originally Posted by !Zar! View Post
If you all are increasing front track, what are you doing to increase the rear track?

Mo Camba' = Mo Betta'

I'm only able to get 2.75 on my current setup with the T3 upper plates and Richard's housings for the 8611's, as the spherical housing hits the strut tower) I'd love to get 3/3.25 with slicks, and was considering slotting the upper hole in the coilover...but now I may extend the lower control arm after the next track day to get some more cambe -- dumbass me never even considered that.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:42 AM   #3090
Csomme
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
Csomme is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by !Zar! View Post

Running more camber up front will increase your leading wheel contact patch at full lock. Paired with the right caster, this is pretty awesome.

A lot of guys don't run much camber to have TONS of camber out of the leading wheel at full lock, this is beneficial to a certain extent, because it will "lift" up that corner of the car, putting more weight on the opposite end, resulting in more rear bite.
Csomme is offline   Reply With Quote