Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 12-02-2011, 11:35 AM   #1
grandma's koukis

Trader Rating: (0)
grandma's koukis is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
more camber=more rub?

Maxed out my camber on my tein he's, now I'm rubbing on my ecu harness. Also had the toe adjusted as it was negative 1.5 degrees. My question is did the camber adjustment cause it to become too close to the tire, or was it the toe adjustment?
grandma's koukis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2011, 11:48 AM   #2
vas570sx
Zilvia Addict

vas570sx is an unknown quantity at this point
you just need to start reading homie. everytime you post, its another question that has already been answered... just tryin to help
Old 12-02-2011, 12:08 PM   #3
Mitsubayati
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (18)
Mitsubayati is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Mitsubayati
^ That doesn't really help him. Everyone knows they should read, most are too lazy to do so.

Tuck your harness, the lower your car goes the greater the chances of rubbing at your harness are because the wheel is getting closer to the wheel well. It is possible that cambering your wheels made them sit a little closer, so to remedy this, either raise your car, change your car back to the way it was when it didn't rub or do a harness tuck.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:17 PM   #4
grandma's koukis

grandma's koukis is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitsubayati View Post
^ That doesn't really help him. Everyone knows they should read, most are too lazy to do so.

Tuck your harness, the lower your car goes the greater the chances of rubbing at your harness are because the wheel is getting closer to the wheel well. It is possible that cambering your wheels made them sit a little closer, so to remedy this, either raise your car, change your car back to the way it was when it didn't rub or do a harness tuck.
Thanks, how I picture it in my head is the negative camber increase raised the outer edges of the tire, I just wanted to double check before I drove back out to the shop stressing about something that might not actually be the issue. I researched a fair amount but could only find threads with hellaflush supastarz with inside out wheels.
grandma's koukis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:40 PM   #5
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
OBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Negative camber will lower your car.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:44 PM   #6
blingbling
Zilvia Junkie

blingbling is an unknown quantity at this point
I think its your green wheels that need a fixin boy
blingbling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:44 AM   #7
JKL1031
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
JKL1031 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
or he cud stop trying to be cool and buy wheels that fit.
JKL1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 12:15 PM   #8
pacotaco345
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
pacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBEEWON View Post
Correction: Negative camber will raise your car and make it look "lower" because of all the tire you are now tucking.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:30 PM   #9
nathanong87
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
nathanong87 is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacotaco345 View Post
Correction: Negative camber will raise your car and make it look "lower" because of all the tire you are now tucking.
corection: negative camber will lower your car, if all that is changed is camber. u know the pythagorean theorem dawg?
Old 12-03-2011, 12:30 PM   #10
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:
Wrong.

Negative camber will lower the car.

Oops, Mr Ong beat me to it.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:17 PM   #11
pacotaco345
Zilvia FREAK!

pacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond repute
I've had this discussion like 3 times on this forum now and have proven myself right all 3 times. When you have 0 camber the whole tire has contact with the ground (everything is at its lowest point). When you add negative camber anything that is not the inner corner of the wheel will rotate in and up. That includes the point where the wheel mounts to the hub. This is the reason why you tuck more tire and the car looks "lower". Because the outside edge of the tire has been rotated up and into the fender well.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:19 PM   #12
pacotaco345
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanong87 View Post
corection: negative camber will lower your car, if all that is changed is camber. u know the pythagorean theorem dawg?
the pythagorean theorem is what proves me right.

Here is the picture drew last time, sorry I'm not an artist lol

That dot represents where the wheel mounts to the hub, as long as it is not at or past the inside edge of the wheel, it will always rotate up first.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:08 PM   #13
280zx2by2
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
280zx2by2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Cool hand drawing bro.

280zx2by2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 02:17 PM   #14
blingbling
Zilvia Junkie

blingbling is an unknown quantity at this point
Its obviously raising the car you dumb idiots
Haters get angry

Girl look at that body
blingbling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 02:22 PM   #15
articdragon192
Post Whore!

articdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to articdragon192
Add camber lowers a car, and removing camber raises the car.
I went from 3.8 to 1.5 and it raised the car nearly a full inch. On my car, every 1.0 degree of camber change equates to roughly a 1/2" of height change.

Need help?
Click here
Still stumped?
Try this
Can't find what you're looking for?
Here you go.
articdragon192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 02:23 PM   #16
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

fckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBEEWON View Post
WRONG
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanong87 View Post
SORRY NATE...YOUR ALSO WRONG

Quote:
I've had this discussion like 3 times on this forum now and have proven myself right all 3 times. When you have 0 camber the whole tire has contact with the ground (everything is at its lowest point). When you add negative camber anything that is not the inner corner of the wheel will rotate in and up. That includes the point where the wheel mounts to the hub. This is the reason why you tuck more tire and the car looks "lower". Because the outside edge of the tire has been rotated up and into the fender well.
and we have a WINNER. I remember this discussion. Put a box on the table. Now when you rotate the box just a little, the highest point is now higher.

And that is the exact reason why he now rubs.
fckillerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 02:26 PM   #17
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

fckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by articdragon192 View Post
Add camber lowers a car, and removing camber raises the car.
I went from 3.8 to 1.5 and it raised the car nearly a full inch. On my car, every 1.0 degree of camber change equates to roughly a 1/2" of height change.
How were you measuring your ride height? gap in tire to fender, or fender to ground?

How tall your tire is will impact this decision as well. If you have taller tires, and you camber in, it will put all the weight of the vehicle on a smaller section of the tire...which may compress it as you add camber.

now in terms of a negative offset wheel. At zero degrees camber, it will raise a little, and then go back down once you past it's center point.

A positive wheel will show more impact when adding camber as the degree of the angles are dramatically changed.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:30 PM   #18
280zx2by2
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fckillerbee View Post
WRONG

SORRY NATE...YOUR ALSO WRONG

and we have a WINNER. I remember this discussion. Put a box on the table. Now when you rotate the box just a little, the highest point is now higher.

And that is the exact reason why he now rubs.
So if you 0'd out the camber on this car it would go even lower???

OMG WAIT TILL STANCE NATION HEAR'S ABOUT THIS!
Old 12-03-2011, 02:34 PM   #19
articdragon192
Post Whore!

articdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to articdragon192
Quote:
How were you measuring your ride height? gap in tire to fender, or fender to ground?

How tall your tire is will impact this decision as well. If you have taller tires, and you camber in, it will put all the weight of the vehicle on a smaller section of the tire...which may compress it as you add camber.

now in terms of a negative offset wheel. At zero degrees camber, it will raise a little, and then go back down once you past it's center point.

A positive wheel will show more impact when adding camber as the degree of the angles are dramatically changed.
Fender to floor, on the same exact wheel and tire set up I had before.
For reference, it was a 265/35-18 on an 18x10.5 +6.
Before at 3.8

After taking out camber.

Need help?
Click here
Still stumped?
Try this
Can't find what you're looking for?
Here you go.
articdragon192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 02:37 PM   #20
280zx2by2
Zilvia Member

I think what the "Negative camber raises your car" guys don't understand is that where your wheel meets the hub is not the axis of rotation when considering camber, its either the lower ball joint or where the coil meets the knuckle.

Someone with more suspension geometry knowledge chime on on which it is and Ill show you.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:45 PM   #21
JKL1031
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
JKL1031 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
not if u have madd stretch yo. Ur assumming a square edged tire
JKL1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 02:48 PM   #22
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

if anything. A negative offset wheel is to improve suspension geometry. An idea I've had in my head for a while now. Hope this helps.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:49 PM   #23
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

Quote:
Before at 3.8

After taking out camber.

you are running a 265 on the front?

I can't tell on your ride height, shadows, the minimum amount of change in the angle and compression on the tire may not change much for you. I can tell however that you now have more room inbetween your fender and tire. As far as ride height, you may have increased height because of the roundness of your tire. as in, a 35 has rounded edges rather than square. the tire may get taller towards the center. These are all very tiny key points that we tend to miss. Also, don't forget that most race tires are softer on the inside of the tire and hard on the outside for cornering (sidewall flex). don't forget tire wear plays a part too in take off some of that ride height while previously cambered.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:52 PM   #24
pacotaco345
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 280zx2by2 View Post
I think what the "Negative camber raises your car" guys don't understand is that where your wheel meets the hub is not the axis of rotation when considering camber, its either the lower ball joint or where the coil meets the knuckle.

Someone with more suspension geometry knowledge chime on on which it is and Ill show you.

Here is a picture, stare at it.. Regardless of where it pivots on the LCA an s-chassis is an independent rear suspension car. The wheel moves independently of the rest of the car. Period.

Quote:

That wheel is over-centered.

Quote:
Cool hand drawing bro.

Cool picture bro, that might be relevant if the front and rear suspension of the car were exactly the same.

Quote:
Before at 3.8

After taking out camber.
Sorry if this comment makes me seem like an asshole but I can't see a difference in the two pictures. maybe just a lil less tucking when the camber is pulled out of it, which I mentioned before.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:55 PM   #25
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Blah blah blah.

I had to lower my car more after I removed camber.

So suck it.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:55 PM   #26
pacotaco345
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKL1031 View Post
not if u have madd stretch yo. Ur assumming a square edged tire
that makes no sense at all...
Old 12-03-2011, 02:58 PM   #27
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

Quote:
So if you 0'd out the camber on this car it would go even lower???

no, this guy is almost sitting on the rim. If he removes camber, he now sits on the tire.

Can we please have intellegent posts in here. Trolls can troll in off topic.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:59 PM   #28
pacotaco345
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Zar! View Post
Blah blah blah.

I had to lower my car more after I removed camber.

So suck it.
I pulled camber out of my car and it looked higher till I scraped the shit out of a speedbump in my school parking lot that I previously had no issues with.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:04 PM   #29
280zx2by2
Zilvia Member

Quote:

Here is a picture, stare at it.. Regardless of where it pivots on the LCA an s-chassis is an independent rear suspension car. The wheel moves independently of the rest of the car. Period.
What does this picture have to do with anything? We're talking about a McPhearson strut front suspension...

And the wheels do move independently of the rest of the car, the the wheels also include the hub and knuckle, this moves your center of axis out from the wheel. So all of these childish drawings that take no consideration into the rest of the suspension are proving nothing.

Quote:
Cool picture bro, that might be relevant if the front and rear suspension of the car were exactly the same.
What? The angle of the front coilover exactly determines the angle of the wheel. This has NOTHING to do with rear suspension.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:07 PM   #30
280zx2by2
Zilvia Member

Quote:
no, this guy is almost sitting on the rim. If he removes camber, he now sits on the tire.

Can we please have intellegent posts in here. Trolls can troll in off topic.
^^^ This is a troll post.