Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 03-23-2014, 04:32 PM   #3721
AS240
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (18)
AS240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
My progress as of last night. Now I'm just waiting on my turbo to get here.
I'm also using Freed's FPR bracket.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2014, 05:36 PM   #3722
ATLspeed
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (14)
ATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
^^^ did you notch anything on bottom of your rad support to get that amount of clearance?
Old 03-23-2014, 07:13 PM   #3723
AS240
Zilvia Addict

Yes I did.

Old 03-23-2014, 08:06 PM   #3724
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (53)
Mister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
did you weld in new lower mounting points or what exactly did you do? i've been curious about moving the lower portion of the radiator forward and was wondering how to go about it.
Mister.E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:28 PM   #3725
AS240
Zilvia Addict

No, I drilled new holes for the pegs on the bottom of the radiator (the oblong ones right on the seam) to fit through. I have 1/2" rubber grommets on the bottom of the pegs.
I had to trim the 4 power brace bolts because they were too long and hit the bottom tank.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:40 PM   #3726
ATLspeed
Zilvia Addict

ATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to behold
That's the best way to get clearance but dam it I don't want to cut my metal.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:28 AM   #3727
Deftec
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
Deftec is making his/her stupidity well-knownDeftec is making his/her stupidity well-knownDeftec is making his/her stupidity well-knownDeftec is making his/her stupidity well-knownDeftec is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dyno wheelies! Car made 700+hp on this dyno...didn't get a run in to calculate it off mph
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4KV7dMYReg
Old 03-24-2014, 09:25 AM   #3728
AS240
Zilvia Addict

Deftec, have you ever made it down to Texas for a Tx2k event?
Old 03-24-2014, 02:14 PM   #3729
dpkid101
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (7)
dpkid101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Anyone have a Dakota digital speedo converter laying around they're not using?
dpkid101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:30 PM   #3730
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Mister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by AS240 View Post
No, I drilled new holes for the pegs on the bottom of the radiator (the oblong ones right on the seam) to fit through. I have 1/2" rubber grommets on the bottom of the pegs.
I had to trim the 4 power brace bolts because they were too long and hit the bottom tank.
Thank you for that info. I'm not too keen on chopping up the bottom at this point in time so i may just cut the front and lean it forward some.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:51 AM   #3731
ATLspeed
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftec View Post
Dyno wheelies! Car made 700+hp on this dyno...
Curious since you are in the hp range I'm going for. What size is your intercooler piping along with intercooler? Right now I'm looking to get a Treadstone or ETS and using 2.75" piping or 3" piping.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:50 PM   #3732
Deftec
Zilvia Junkie

Deftec is making his/her stupidity well-knownDeftec is making his/her stupidity well-knownDeftec is making his/her stupidity well-knownDeftec is making his/her stupidity well-knownDeftec is making his/her stupidity well-known
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLspeed View Post
Curious since you are in the hp range I'm going for. What size is your intercooler piping along with intercooler? Right now I'm looking to get a Treadstone or ETS and using 2.75" piping or 3" piping.
Hotside is 3'', cold side is 4''. 5'' greddy intercooler.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:35 PM   #3733
RickS14
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
RickS14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I'm shooting for 600 650whp what would be a good tire size for getting traction on the street. Any thing in a 18 in rim? Or better choice would be a 17?
I have a s14.
RickS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 01:52 PM   #3734
Sky80
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (17)
Sky80 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Your best choice would be a 16" or 15" at that power level with some ET streets
Old 03-28-2014, 05:55 PM   #3735
RickS14
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky80 View Post
Your best choice would be a 16" or 15" at that power level with some ET streets
What about 315's?
Old 03-29-2014, 05:36 AM   #3736
RaNMaN
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
RaNMaN is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS14 View Post
What about 315's?
315 drag radials might be hard to tuck but should easily handle 600-650 whp. It really depends on camber, tires used, weight distribution, and other things as well. I've seen some 315 drag radials and they didn't start to slip until around 1180-1200 whp on a dyno.

When I want to hook I run a bias ply MT et street slick 26 x 11.5 x 16 on some rx7 8.5" wide rims and then I have another set of regular tires on my other rims that I use more often and they hook alright but not great. The big HP guys seem to say to use drag radial for auto's and bias ply for manual's.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
RaNMaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 04:40 PM   #3737
RickS14
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaNMaN View Post
315 drag radials might be hard to tuck but should easily handle 600-650 whp. It really depends on camber, tires used, weight distribution, and other things as well. I've seen some 315 drag radials and they didn't start to slip until around 1180-1200 whp on a dyno.

When I want to hook I run a bias ply MT et street slick 26 x 11.5 x 16 on some rx7 8.5" wide rims and then I have another set of regular tires on my other rims that I use more often and they hook alright but not great. The big HP guys seem to say to use drag radial for auto's and bias ply for manual's.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Cool thanks for the input!
Old 03-29-2014, 06:32 PM   #3738
Deftec
Zilvia Junkie

I ran some 16'' 300zx tires for a while, those would work, but I'd put some screws in them to hold the tire. Otherwise a 10.5 tire should hook good enough for that power range. I cut a few 1.5 60' on 18psi/650+hp.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:25 PM   #3739
RickS14
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftec View Post
I ran some 16'' 300zx tires for a while, those would work, but I'd put some screws in them to hold the tire. Otherwise a 10.5 tire should hook good enough for that power range. I cut a few 1.5 60' on 18psi/650+hp.
I'm having trouble on a set up Its just gonna be my summer daily.whats the point of having all that hp if you can't put it to the ground.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:11 AM   #3740
RaNMaN
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
RaNMaN is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS14 View Post
I'm having trouble on a set up Its just gonna be my summer daily.whats the point of having all that hp if you can't put it to the ground.
Yes but where do you live and how much summer rain will you get? I'm in FL. You have to make a compromise between traction and wet weather handling. If the roads get any water on them at all it is super sketchy to drive even 30 mph with a race or slick tire on.

If you want a good all around tire then you might want to go with a tire that the road race guys would use, like a R888 or whatever. I'm not up to date on those tire choices I just know that I almost slid into several curbs with the MT streets on crawling around corners at seriously like 10-15 mph. I was praying it didn't get hit and praying I didn't crash the whole time, it wasn't fun.

Get a good differential and pick a good tire, and just keep in mind that there is no perfect combination that will work for all conditions.
RaNMaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 12:33 PM   #3741
RickS14
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaNMaN View Post
Yes but where do you live and how much summer rain will you get? I'm in FL. You have to make a compromise between traction and wet weather handling. If the roads get any water on them at all it is super sketchy to drive even 30 mph with a race or slick tire on.

If you want a good all around tire then you might want to go with a tire that the road race guys would use, like a R888 or whatever. I'm not up to date on those tire choices I just know that I almost slid into several curbs with the MT streets on crawling around corners at seriously like 10-15 mph. I was praying it didn't get hit and praying I didn't crash the whole time, it wasn't fun.

Get a good differential and pick a good tire, and just keep in mind that there is no perfect combination that will work for all conditions.

Good point! What would be a decent tire size and look good on a 18" rim on stock metal.
I do have a s14.
Also I just found a good deal on z32 wheel seems like a lot of guys put radials on those also.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:26 PM   #3742
BiG MiKE86
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (12)
BiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BiG MiKE86

Interesting...
Old 04-01-2014, 09:57 PM   #3743
Flicktitty
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
Flicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Flicktitty
Not sure if this has been discussed lately, but here is the adapter kit for the Nissan 350Z / 370Z Infiniti G35 / G37 6spd transmission for the JZ.

http://www.maverick-motorsports.com/...-adapter-plate
Old 04-01-2014, 09:59 PM   #3744
Flicktitty
Post Whore!

Flicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to behold
QUESTION for those of you who have ordered engines in the last couple months / year. Where have you had GOOD / GREAT experiences from? seems alot of the go to places have either closed up or don't get much for inventory now a days. Thanks.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:02 PM   #3745
Mister.E
Post Whore!

this is where i got mine from last year:

http://www.jspecauto.com/ContactUs.aspx

the customer service was great. they sent me videos of the compression test on my motor before i even bought it. The engine appears to be in excellent condition, however, i havent swapped it in yet so i havent seen it start or run.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:26 AM   #3746
dpkid101
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flicktitty View Post
QUESTION for those of you who have ordered engines in the last couple months / year. Where have you had GOOD / GREAT experiences from? seems alot of the go to places have either closed up or don't get much for inventory now a days. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dook-E View Post
this is where i got mine from last year:

http://www.jspecauto.com/ContactUs.aspx

the customer service was great. they sent me videos of the compression test on my motor before i even bought it. The engine appears to be in excellent condition, however, i havent swapped it in yet so i havent seen it start or run.
I also got mine from j spec but it was about 3 years ago. Picked one up from their warehouse in Virginia. Great guys. This was the second motor I bought from them, the first one being an sr20 back in the day.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:39 AM   #3747
rswails
Leaky Injector

rswails is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flicktitty View Post
I got mine from ebay seller name: jdm_world2008 Here is their eBay store.

http://stores.ebay.com/buyjdminc/

I think these guys are decent. I bought a VVTI aristo 2jz gte from them. The lower oil pan leaked which is not covered in these engines warranty so everyone be aware of that. The warranty's do not mean you will have things covered that you might expect. Also my MAF was missing upon arrival ( which is $300 used ). They gave me a hard time about it, but I showed them pics of the engine on the day I got it to show that MAF wasn't included and they eventually mailed me another one which I'm very thankful for. As for the engine itself, its not wired up yet, so sorry I can't comment on how it runs. The compression was good though.
rswails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:24 AM   #3748
Flicktitty
Post Whore!

Thanks guys! the place i went through seems to no longer be doing it, and my backup place is getting out of it too. Thanks!
Old 04-03-2014, 09:50 AM   #3749
93egallmotor
Leaky Injector

93egallmotor is an unknown quantity at this point
getting alot closer to comlpetion here on my 1jz swap. wired the starting circuit to test my wiring and push button start, and she cranks over nicely on the oddesey battery. also got the gauges fitted and wired. baisically all thats left is to wire the ecu and fuel pump, figure out the alternator wiring and run the fuel lines and im ready to go.

heres a pic of how low the driftmotion downpipe hangs :s

belt and tensioner setup

starting to come together

anybody got pics or info on powering the s14 fusebox? my car came with no lower harness so i went to a yard and got one but im not sure if i even need most of it. any insight mucho appreciated
Old 04-03-2014, 11:29 AM   #3750
dpkid101
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93egallmotor View Post
anybody got pics or info on powering the s14 fusebox? my car came with no lower harness so i went to a yard and got one but im not sure if i even need most of it. any insight mucho appreciated
I just attached the battery wires that lead to the fuse box to a battery cutoff switch.