Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 10-28-2012, 10:20 PM   #1
Dany
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
Dany is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
s13 My exhaust is too low!

I just lowered my car and the end of the muffler is an inch and a half from the ground the resonator is an inch from the ground. I was thinking of raising the exhaust hangers but idk ? i want my exhaust to be leveled like my chassis and my chassis is 3in off the ground. any suggestions on what i should do? Advice will be very helpful thanx
Dany is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2012, 01:30 AM   #2
DennisC
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (9)
DennisC is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Try clamping the exhaust rubber hangers with hose clamps. If that isn't enough to clear the ground, then you need to get another exhaust.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:37 AM   #3
jamg
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (7)
jamg is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
just use zip ties to clamp up the rubber hangers
jamg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:10 AM   #4
zerodameaon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
zerodameaon is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The first obvious fix, raise your car up a tad. If that is not possible then use hose clamps or even better, buy these Circuit Sports Exhaust Hanger Bushing Kit (Set of 3). If that doesn't work buy a smaller exhaust.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKdaMoRoN View Post
Maybe you should petition the retards who are paying 5k for an S13.

Need to adjust your idle?
http://zilvia.net/f/s-chassis/395413...-pictures.html
zerodameaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:22 AM   #5
Dany
Zilvia Addict

Forgot to mention I have those circuit sport hangers on and its a greddy exhaust! :,(
Old 10-29-2012, 05:23 AM   #6
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Raise your car to more practical levels or deal with it... Such is the life of a low car.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:47 AM   #7
thefro526
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
thefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Some exhausts, especially Greddy, HKS and some other higher end models have notoriously bad ground clearance because they're not really designed for cars that are much lower than a stock car/car on springs and struts.

Depending on your setup, your header may actually be the limiting factor in how well the exhaust can be tucked. If you go to a reasonably good exhaust shop, they should be able to cut and weld everything to tuck it up to the chassis more should you need to... But I'd try the shorter exhaust hangers and the Pipe Clamp trick first.
thefro526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:30 AM   #8
dawagarage
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (23)
dawagarage is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
try all the above.
also, depending on how much money you have, you can add a flex pipe into or after of the header to allow the rest of your exhaust to be raised. kinda like what pbm/psm does.

ratsun: dawa (73 datsun 620)
clublexus: properD (97 sc300)
dawagarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:45 PM   #9
Dany
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefro526 View Post
Some exhausts, especially Greddy, HKS and some other higher end models have notoriously bad ground clearance because they're not really designed for cars that are much lower than a stock car/car on springs and struts.

Depending on your setup, your header may actually be the limiting factor in how well the exhaust can be tucked. If you go to a reasonably good exhaust shop, they should be able to cut and weld everything to tuck it up to the chassis more should you need to... But I'd try the shorter exhaust hangers and the Pipe Clamp trick first.
my header sits higher than the chassis the only parts that are stikin out real bad are the resonator and the muffler.. Im gonna check it out ans see if the muffler shop can raise it. But I have tried the clamps n everything the hangers I have are stiff enough already too

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotboiblaze View Post
try all the above.
also, depending on how much money you have, you can add a flex pipe into or after of the header to allow the rest of your exhaust to be raised. kinda like what pbm/psm does.
Yea I get wat ur sayin but like I said my header sits good n everything if it was the headers.i would have fix the problem already ill probably put sum pics later so u guys can see.. Thanx for the input guys!
Old 10-29-2012, 12:59 PM   #10
typhoonslippery
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (10)
typhoonslippery will become famous soon enoughtyphoonslippery will become famous soon enoughtyphoonslippery will become famous soon enoughtyphoonslippery will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
use these sucka ..... put them beside eachother
Old 10-29-2012, 01:04 PM   #11
Dany
Zilvia Addict

I don't think that will work lol ill pics later!
Old 10-29-2012, 02:27 PM   #12
Mikester
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (0)
Mikester is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dany View Post
Yea I get wat ur sayin but like I said my header sits good n everything if it was the headers.i would have fix the problem already ill probably put sum pics later so u guys can see.. Thanx for the input guys!
He wasn't really saying it was the header... What he was saying is that if you add a flex pipe downpipe (not sure if you have KA or SR), then you will be free to raise the exhaust higher than normal without putting any undue stress on the header. It will also allow the CS exhaust hangers you have to do their jobs a little more effectively.

Circuit Sports DPU-0134B-HS 3in Downpipe w/Flex Pipe

Sorry- I'm at work and posting pics is a mofo... But I am pretty sure they make flex pipes for both KA & SR. I hate to see anyone have to cut into a nice exhaust. GL!
Old 10-29-2012, 03:13 PM   #13
Dany
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikester View Post
He wasn't really saying it was the header... What he was saying is that if you add a flex pipe downpipe (not sure if you have KA or SR), then you will be free to raise the exhaust higher than normal without putting any undue stress on the header. It will also allow the CS exhaust hangers you have to do their jobs a little more effectively.

Circuit Sports DPU-0134B-HS 3in Downpipe w/Flex Pipe

Sorry- I'm at work and posting pics is a mofo... But I am pretty sure they make flex pipes for both KA & SR. I hate to see anyone have to cut into a nice exhaust. GL!
Ohh okay! Thanx for explaining bro! Ill check that out cuz I have a ka hah.. But I got pics now

Old 10-29-2012, 03:18 PM   #14
gostrider
Zilvia Addict

gostrider is an unknown quantity at this point
I have the same issue i hit speed bumbs with the dp. I took it to the muffler shop to redo the pipe and tuck it closer to the body but they want 500+$ ;(
Old 10-29-2012, 03:19 PM   #15
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
You got no choice but to get another exhaust or mod the one you have. I'd cut the pre-muffler off, weld a straight pipe thru there, then bend the hangers lower so itll pull the exhaust higher.

Or just drive it the way it is and dont mind the banging when it hits speed bumps and stuff. I have the same issue with my Apexi GT Spec.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:23 PM   #16
blessedhellrider
Zilvia Member

blessedhellrider is an unknown quantity at this point
the ground is to high!
blessedhellrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:31 PM   #17
Chuki_KA24e
Leaky Injector

Chuki_KA24e is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by gostrider View Post
I have the same issue i hit speed bumbs with the dp. I took it to the muffler shop to redo the pipe and tuck it closer to the body but they want 500+$ ;(
Wow... Their shop rate must be like $400+ an hour at that cost.
Chuki_KA24e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:10 PM   #18
s14j
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (72)
s14j is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 72 reviews
its just a exhaust, drive it like that. thats not even that low..
Old 10-29-2012, 04:19 PM   #19
jamg
Nissanaholic!

jamg is an unknown quantity at this point
get a mallet, bang the exhaust and make it thinner.
jamg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:20 PM   #20
Dany
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gostrider View Post
dammm their crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliprayzin240sx View Post
You got no choice but to get another exhaust or mod the one you have. I'd cut the pre-muffler off, weld a straight pipe thru there, then bend the hangers lower so itll pull the exhaust higher.

Or just drive it the way it is and dont mind the banging when it hits speed bumps and stuff. I have the same issue with my Apexi GT Spec.
yea i figured those were my only options .. i might just mod it,, and i mostly drive with ppl in my car! 2 ppl in their and the exhaust will touch the floor lol ima raise it and see wat ima do though..
Old 10-29-2012, 08:16 PM   #21
Mikester
Nissanaholic!

Mikester is a well-known jackass
I had a similar issue on my drift missile... was able to sort it out by making adjustments... Missile was not nearly as low as your car appears to be... Cool thing is that everytime I scraped the exhaust at speed, it would throw sparks haha!
Old 10-29-2012, 08:19 PM   #22
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
I vote, crank it as as high as you can with clamps and then drive it till it breaks/fall apart. Thats what I'm doing right now.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:33 PM   #23
toplevel

toplevel is an unknown quantity at this point
just raise the floor above exhaust.
toplevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:31 PM   #24
Dany
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikester View Post
I had a similar issue on my drift missile... was able to sort it out by making adjustments... Missile was not nearly as low as your car appears to be... Cool thing is that everytime I scraped the exhaust at speed, it would throw sparks haha!
lol My brothers did the same with his gs ^.^ looks kool though lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliprayzin240sx View Post
I vote, crank it as as high as you can with clamps and then drive it till it breaks/fall apart. Thats what I'm doing right now.
i dont understand lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by toplevel View Post
just raise the floor above exhaust.
hmmm sounds like a good idea Thanx!
Old 10-29-2012, 10:38 PM   #25
bigs
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (6)
bigs is a glorious beacon of lightbigs is a glorious beacon of lightbigs is a glorious beacon of lightbigs is a glorious beacon of lightbigs is a glorious beacon of lightbigs is a glorious beacon of lightbigs is a glorious beacon of lightbigs is a glorious beacon of lightbigs is a glorious beacon of lightbigs is a glorious beacon of lightbigs is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Yo I just put lowering springs on, and when I park on a hill or jack my front end up 2 feet off the ground my exhaust almost scrapes.

Those pictures made me laugh
bigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:11 AM   #26
PureRush
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (15)
PureRush is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
I have the same exhaust on my S13 KA. I only had some Megan springs and I would scrape pretty bad on even low speedbumps. A member on here suggested to use hose clamp on the hanger bushings and it helped a lot but it still scraped. That's how this exhaust is and there's nothing you can do to fix it completely other than putting a straight pipe instead of the resonator. Or get a different exhaust :/
PureRush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:21 AM   #27
Dany
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureRush View Post
I have the same exhaust on my S13 KA. I only had some Megan springs and I would scrape pretty bad on even low speedbumps. A member on here suggested to use hose clamp on the hanger bushings and it helped a lot but it still scraped. That's how this exhaust is and there's nothing you can do to fix it completely other than putting a straight pipe instead of the resonator. Or get a different exhaust :/
Yea my car had cut springs and it was that low and it still scraped but ive tried that hose clamps idea and all but im going to make it work! Ill prove all yall! Haha