Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-03-2011, 08:07 AM   #1
kalypso123
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡

Trader Rating: (2)
kalypso123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Adding a sunroof to an s13

Is it feasible?

I know the headliner would have to come off and the frame of the roof would need to get chopped and altered but im curious if someone knows how.

- Kal
kalypso123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2011, 08:10 AM   #2
Pure_JDM
Zilvia Addict

Pure_JDM is an unknown quantity at this point
anything's possible. that said, i'll sell you all the parts from my stock s13 sunroof.
Pure_JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:16 AM   #3
S-Nation S13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (92)
S-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 92 reviews
im pretty sure you can, nothings impossible!
S-Nation S13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:39 AM   #4
ManoNegra
Guild of Skullduggerous Intent

Trader Rating: (48)
ManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 48 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to ManoNegra
sure you can, but why is the question?
sunroof's are nothing but headaches with aging cars
people pay good money to get rid of them
ManoNegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:12 AM   #5
S-Nation S13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (92)
S-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 92 reviews
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManoNegra View Post
sure you can, but why is the question?
sunroof's are nothing but headaches with aging cars
people pay good money to get rid of them
yes they are! my bro had one on his car, and after he installed his stances he said his shit sounded like it was goona shatter on his ass everytime he went over speed bumps

non- sun roof equals more structural rigidity IMHO
S-Nation S13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:34 AM   #6
chaotix

Trader Rating: (1)
chaotix is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The guys above are pretty right on it 20 years weather strips are crap and rather lookin good it looks like straight doo doo
chaotix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:44 AM   #7
levelgx
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
levelgx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Well, you could get an universal sunroof kit but ... yea what they said.. I had a MR2 with an universal sunroof and it leaked pretty often.. I wish my s13 didnt have a sunroof but whatever.. paid 200 bucks for the car lol
Old 01-03-2011, 09:49 AM   #8
ROOSEY
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (12)
ROOSEY is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
i did it in my last car and i had no complaints. i didnt even have to get rid of my headliner. i used this site The Sunroof Doctor - Your source for replacement sunroof & t-top parts! and i bought a manual popup one from them. the kits come with a stencil that you put on your roof and cut out that exact shape then cut the headliner and the sunroof sandwiches the headliner and roof so you dont have a sagging headliner, after this you cyclicone the sunroof to the roof and your done. it took a couple hours but wasnt bad at all as long as your good at cutting and have the right tools. i probably wouldnt do it agian but i have a convertible now anyways...lol
ROOSEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:54 AM   #9
NNOCENT
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
NNOCENT is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
please dont add a sunroof.

i would gladly trade either of my two sunroof coupes for another base model hardtop like my widebody coupe

NNOCENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:20 AM   #10
kalypso123
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡

kalypso123 is an unknown quantity at this point
I can buy great wheels, and make great fitment

but when I see this... I wonder what it would take to have a sunroof.

and also its really nice in the summer.

but the arguements against having one are also persuasive... I dont want one leaking on me
kalypso123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:26 AM   #11
Z_Spool
Zilvia FREAK!

Z_Spool has a spectacular aura aboutZ_Spool has a spectacular aura aboutZ_Spool has a spectacular aura aboutZ_Spool has a spectacular aura aboutZ_Spool has a spectacular aura aboutZ_Spool has a spectacular aura about
That's a pretty nifty link Zenki, thanks. That's the one thing I wish my car had. Whether or not I'll do it since it JUST got out of paint remains to be determined, but I love open air driving. The CR-V has a sunroof and I love it and and it's one of the thing I miss most about the Miata. Only problem with an aftermarket pop-out is the lack of a sunshade. I guess I'd have to wear a hat at all times. Also popping out the roof glass gives you more helmet room. But the structural loss sucks too.
Z_Spool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:55 AM   #12
blueshark123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (55)
blueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 55 reviews
I hate my sunroof i have to fix the trim it leaks and caused rust in my rocker panels
blueshark123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:57 AM   #13
fender-startocaster
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
fender-startocaster is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
My car was originally a hard top. I tried replacing the headliner when i realized it was not matching up. I then realized that the sun roof was after market. I bought the car this way. This could explain all the advertisement stickers on the inside of my trunk. Ill get the name of the shop that did it if your interested.
fender-startocaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:05 PM   #14
whiterps13
Zilvia Addict

whiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to behold
The problem with the OEM moonroof on hatches is that there is no built in adjustment for the latch. The weather strip seal can be replaced, but the latch has no room for adjusment so there will always be wind noise. The only way to reduce wind noise is to make some sort of spacer for the oem handle that makes it pull the sunroof down closer to the body of the roof (I use folded up paper).

Every sunroof leaks. If your sunroof is leaking water into the cabin, check the two drainage tubes inside the headliner. Mine was leaking into the cabin and come to find out one of the drainage tubes was disconnected. They sometimes gets clogged as well, so blast them with compressed air.

Sunroofs are cool and all in the summer. I always have mine cracked when driving and often take it completely out on nice days. However the wind noise is so fucking annoying. I ordered the carbon fiber delete panel from Kognition and was super stoked to put it in, but it was a mistake and he only made them for s14's. I was and still am super bummed out. I wish somebody would make the stupid panel.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:35 PM   #15
chiboy002
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
chiboy002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
yeah, im with whiterps13... mine makes a ton of noise after like 80mph... but i just pop it open and it stops.

But, i have a 91 and mine doesnt leak... i heard its common but i guess im just lucky

Kalypso - if you take it to a body shop with all the components, they can do that for you. Pretty must its just cutting out the skeleton and installing one from a car with a sunroof - Or just cut at the a/b pillars and what not - then installing an entire roof assembly. I'm pretty sure all 240sx have the drainage tubes, just blocked off if its a non-sunroof model. No reason for nissan to make two different pillars
Old 01-03-2011, 12:47 PM   #16
Unique
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (9)
Unique has a spectacular aura aboutUnique has a spectacular aura aboutUnique has a spectacular aura aboutUnique has a spectacular aura aboutUnique has a spectacular aura aboutUnique has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
leaky sunroofs can also cause electrical problems, my friends sunroof was leaking into the cabin going down the pillars made its way behind the dash board and fried it.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:56 PM   #17
cardoza
Zilvia Member

cardoza is an unknown quantity at this point

Man up.
cardoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:22 PM   #18
chiboy002
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
chiboy002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoza View Post

Man up.
i HIGHLY doubt kalypso has some camera's following him around and he would put some stupid stunt just for show ratings...

i'm pretty sure CrimsonRockett has a assembly for sale - i have glass if you want but idk how shipping would be... that shit is really fragile
Old 01-03-2011, 03:26 PM   #19
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
fckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
fuck the sun roof...chop the whole top off.

verts are cooler!
fckillerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:30 PM   #20
roboticnissan
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (12)
roboticnissan is making a name for him/her selfroboticnissan is making a name for him/her selfroboticnissan is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
I guess I lucked out in all my s chassis. I alwAys buy them with sunroofs and I've never had windnoise or leakage.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:54 PM   #21
whiterps13
Zilvia Addict

whiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiboy002 View Post
I'm pretty sure all 240sx have the drainage tubes, just blocked off if its a non-sunroof model. No reason for nissan to make two different pillars
Not true. The drainage tubes are small rubber hoses that attach to a metal hole in the sunroof tray. They actually route to the open space behind the quarter panel.

They would not be present on a non-sunroof model.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:13 PM   #22
DataXUnknown
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (30)
DataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 30 reviews
All my S13's had sunroofs. I loved them, they were great and as long as I had the sunroof cover to cover the sun sometimes, it was perfect. I never had any leakage problems or anything like that. I don't get why people bash on sunroofs so much.

"It's much more rigid without one" yeah if your building a fucking 100% Formula D car or something. Even then, look how many convertibles are drifting in pro competition, go ask them about rigid.

Although I probably wouldn't go through the trouble of cutting and making a sunroof of my own. Would just suck it up, or sell my car and buy one with a sunroof in it already
DataXUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:33 PM   #23
levelgx
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
levelgx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
never had a problem with the s13 sunroof but when i had one in another car and it leaked (MR2)... cant shack the idea away of sitting in a wet ass seat so I get paranoid... But these days I have the money to fix it properly.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:56 PM   #24
wh0aitznic0
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (20)
wh0aitznic0 will become famous soon enoughwh0aitznic0 will become famous soon enoughwh0aitznic0 will become famous soon enoughwh0aitznic0 will become famous soon enoughwh0aitznic0 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Type X is NOTHING without a popped sunroof.

...most of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hailandkill View Post
wh0aitznic0 -- has or had a shocker sticker on his car at one point, is asian with a gooey white center

<3
Quote:
Originally Posted by !Zar! View Post
Nothing says, 'I'm broke and still trying', like aftermarket steelies.
wh0aitznic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:00 PM   #25
S14kouki_10
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
S14kouki_10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
sunroof's are cool. do it.
S14kouki_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:06 PM   #26
h2v7
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (3)
h2v7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
i WISH i could do a sunroof delete not addition.

now on a new car gimmie that sunroof!!!
h2v7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:25 PM   #27
icedsole
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (24)
icedsole is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
i like the s13s with POWER sun roof, like the s14s. i think its pretty rare maybe 94 only?
Old 01-03-2011, 05:39 PM   #28
Weedm
Zilvia Addict

Weedm is an unknown quantity at this point
i think moonroofs are the shit. makes your car look cooler imo.

with that said, mine did whistle at one point. what I did was find a replacement latch at the junkyard from an older Stanza. tightened it up and bam.. no problem since. mine has not leaked for the 2 years ive owned it.

edit : I just re-read the title and you stated sunroof. woops.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:10 PM   #29
soreballz
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (22)
soreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Send a message via AIM to soreballz
Quote:
Originally Posted by icedsole View Post
i like the s13s with POWER sun roof, like the s14s. i think its pretty rare maybe 94 only?
S13 coupes of all years have power sun roofs. There was no factory manual roof option for the S13.
Last time I checked this is a Zilvia not a fucking group session to deal with self-esteem issues where everyone is a winner and cares about you, your individuality and lack of taste.
soreballz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:21 PM   #30
udon!
Nissanaholic!

udon! is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by soreballz View Post
S13 coupes of all years have power sun roofs. There was no factory manual roof option for the S13.
Might be wrong but i thought the XE coupe came with a popup sunroof.
udon! is offline   Reply With Quote