Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-16-2013, 08:11 PM   #2881
huffandpuff00
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
huffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_style View Post
Hey Zac, how is DOC Race mani? after I sold that to you, I got the top mount manifold from DOC Race... my car hasn't ran since.. LOL
My car haven't ran since I bought that from you and last week when the manifold was out for coating, the coaters found a spot on the manifold that wasn't welded. It was just a 1/2" section that someone just forgot to finish. I called doc (thankfully doc is local) and they welded it up the same day. I'll be taking my car to get tuned again next month.
huffandpuff00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2013, 08:15 PM   #2882
ForeignMuscle
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
ForeignMuscle is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt// View Post
I'm curious to see what my new setup will make..
Blacktop SR
86.5mm 9:1comp cp pistons
Manley rods
Arp blah blah blah
Cosworth HG
Jwt s4 cams
Greddy fmic
Tomei bottom mount
Gt2871r .64a/r
~18-20psi

I know it was plenty fun on the stock bottom end until I spun a bearing.
I'm sure it will be around 380-400whp like most of the cars with similar mods on this thread. You really need to add a Greddy style intake with the S4 cams profile.

Also, you might not reach 20psi at 9:1 cr before detonation joins the party, but of course they balance each other out as far as power is concerned.
ForeignMuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:40 PM   #2883
matt//

Trader Rating: (1)
matt// is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignMuscle View Post
I'm sure it will be around 380-400whp like most of the cars with similar mods on this thread. You really need to add a Greddy style intake with the S4 cams profile.

Also, you might not reach 20psi at 9:1 cr before detonation joins the party, but of course they balance each other out as far as power is concerned.
Meant to add I'm running a greddy intake also... and I'm on 740cc's injectors. But yeah we'll see.
Depending on how I like this setup on the track I may or may not do a larger topmount setup.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:11 PM   #2884
iRONDONkey
Zilvia Junkie

iRONDONkey is on a distinguished road
I decided to go with a godspeed 2871 turbo. they are made by these guys, so at least it's stationed in the US.

Detroit, CAT, CUMMINS, Dodge, turbocharger, turbo, 14L, ACERT, C15, M11. N14, HX35W, HX40W

i tired looking for a used 2871, but at a good price, with no shaft play it's difficult. they move side to side...

wish me luck.

:X
iRONDONkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:05 PM   #2885
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRONDONkey View Post
I decided to go with a godspeed 2871 turbo. they are made by these guys, so at least it's stationed in the US.

Detroit, CAT, CUMMINS, Dodge, turbocharger, turbo, 14L, ACERT, C15, M11. N14, HX35W, HX40W

i tired looking for a used 2871, but at a good price, with no shaft play it's difficult. they move side to side...

wish me luck.

All turbos will have slightly play in them, it's nature of the beast.

I have my old 2871r, but unsure if I wanna sell it yet. Needs an exhaust housing as I kept that with the GTX2867

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:06 PM   #2886
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt// View Post
Meant to add I'm running a greddy intake also... and I'm on 740cc's injectors. But yeah we'll see.
Depending on how I like this setup on the track I may or may not do a larger topmount setup.
Unless you're going to shoot for 450-500whp, a 400whp 2871r setup will give it a good run for the money on track and on street.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:15 PM   #2887
iRONDONkey
Zilvia Junkie

iRONDONkey is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
All turbos will have slightly play in them, it's nature of the beast.

I have my old 2871r, but unsure if I wanna sell it yet. Needs an exhaust housing as I kept that with the GTX2867
true. but after doing some research, it seems like the supplier for GSP changed over the years. I saw many pictures and videos of a bunch of different variants.

now JMT is the main people, as their label is on the turbo itself. they do have a office here is the US, and also supply other companies, i'm hoping it turns out decent.

but.... oh well. as long as it holds, i should be ok.
iRONDONkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:25 PM   #2888
matt//

matt// is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
Unless you're going to shoot for 450-500whp, a 400whp 2871r setup will give it a good run for the money on track and on street.
If I don't stick with that I have a Borg Warner k27-2 sitting at the house, should still be a decently responsive setup and make moar powahhh
Old 01-16-2013, 10:35 PM   #2889
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRONDONkey View Post

wish me luck.

The are imported by them...
Old 01-18-2013, 02:08 PM   #2890
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
di-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
After the gt2871 blew, I switched to a gt2876r .63. Anyone wanna guess what I could make?

redtop sr
built bottom end
cp 9:1
tomei 256's
freddy intake
sard 850's
z32maf
JWT rom tune
Stock mani+tail 38 mvs
20 psi on 92 pump.
di-devol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:40 PM   #2891
Sx-mad

Trader Rating: (0)
Sx-mad is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Sx mad before you go loosely running your mouth you should realize that it's no different here than the UK and horsepower is horsepower. If you can read then I guess you just didn't notice Codyace's dyno..

400 WHEEL horsepower is very doable on a 2871 with a .64 ass end. How many dynos do people have to show for you "it just ain't possible cuz I said" type people to give up the fight? Yes, you need cams, intake, and bolt ons. It has been done. End of story.

Btw, I don't know of one single soul who has attached their sr20 to an engine dyno to read bhp from the flywheel. If it's a dyno chart from America that your looking at, chances are that it was read from the rear wheels..
Sorry you took my post as a threat against your country, I'm just merely pointing out that you guys are definatly seeing flywheel figures. Most dyno's can calculate the loss from drivetrain. Although its not 100% accurate which is the reason I prefer wheel horse power.

I'm over here from sxoc and to give u an idea this is the library of power figures from there.

Library of s14/a power figures.
Sx-mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:48 PM   #2892
ForeignMuscle
Zilvia Addict

No, once again you are absolutely wrong. Every dyno graph in this thread IS REAR WHEEL HORSEPOWER. Read carefully. It is very possible to hit 400hp with this turbo whether your build is capable or not. I don't think any person here just forgot to realize that their engines were strapped to a dyno and their cars were not... These are chassis dyno results. I really don't know why you can't understand that.

Where is CodyAce at...
Old 01-18-2013, 03:01 PM   #2893
Sx-mad

I posted a link to show you the difference . People in that thread post up flywheel and wheel horsepower.

Also the turbo is only rated to 450flywheel horsepower.

There has to be a difference in dyno's, or maybe it's the gear used etc

Just an example from that thread

car: Blue 1999 S14a
miles: currently 78k

First Power related mods:-

On 5th December 2004 my totally standard car except Apexi air filter and Apex Performance 4.5 inch slash cut cat back system, achived 230bhp at fly with 193.4bhp/187.2ftlbs at the rear wheels

Stage 2 Power related mods:-

Apexi airfilter
Standard Nissan Afm
Apex Performance type 2 front mount intercooler
HKS ssqv
Standard Nissan SR20 DET internals
Standard Nissan Head Gasket
Denso ik24's
Walbro 255 ltr fuel pump
Nismo 555 injectors
Horsham developments stage 2 chip
Greddy profect b2 boost controller @ 17psi peak power
Apex Performance tubular manifold
Standard t28 turbo
-31 uprated turbo actuator from Garrett
Standard turbo elbow
Apex Performance down pipe
Apex Performance decat pipe
Apex Performance 4.5 inch slash cut cat back system.
Standard clutch (now dead )

Boost: 250 bhp @ fly @10psi stock boost
289 bhp @ fly @14psi
307 bhp with 315 lbsft torque @ fly @17psi

due to high intake temps results have been over corrected will post soon more realistic graphs lol

Rolling Road Name: Triton Motorsport in Bournmouth on Dyno Dynamics rolling road

Stage 3a power related mods :-

Apexi airfilter
Z32 Mass airflow meter
at the time standard rubber intake pipe between AFM and turbo
Apex performance type 2 intercooler
HKS ssqv
standard nissan FPR
standard SR20 det internals
standard head gasket
denso ik24s
walbro 255ltr fuel pump
Nismo 555 injectors
Horsham developments stage 3a prototype chip
Greddy profec b2 boost controller @ 21 psi peak pressure
Apex performance tubular manifold
Gt2871r .52 trim .64 a/r
Full apex down pipe back de cat s/s exhaust system

347 bhp / 359ftlbs torque at fly graph
bhp and boost pressure

bhp and afm reading

horse power at the wheels 295hp

my new custom map spec is as follows as of jan 2008

apexi airfilter
z32 airflow meter
custom aluminium intake pipe
apex type 1 front mount intercooler
HKS ssqv dump valve to atmosphere
standard throttle body
standard inlet plenum
nismo 740 injectors
walbro pump
standard nissan FPR and fuel rail
denso ik24's
acl uprated bearings
eagle steel rods
wossner pistons
cometic 1.6mm metal head gasket
tomei 256 11.5mm lift in and ex cams
greddy valve springs
greddy rocker arm stoppers
Horsham developments prototype stainless steel tubular manifold
garret gt2871r .52trim .64 a/r
apex turbo back 3 inch decat system.
koyo race radiator
greddy profec b boost controller
and of course a H-dev custom map

i am very happy with the results but i seam to have a slight boost issue

im running 740 injectors with the smaller gt2871r .64 housing on a jez custom map

the hks actuator is set to 16 psi

boost was set to 1.6bar ish but tails of to 1.3bar and thats under investigation at the mo

you can feel the engine has a flat spot at high rpm, and that shows in my graph.

desired max pressure 1.6bar (23psi)

profec b high boost settings.

set 75%
gain 5%
set gain 19 psi
warning 24 psi
limiter 10%

(i think i have the first three the correct way round lol).

i havent had it on the RR again yet but i have adjusted the set gain to 21 psi now and it feels as though it is pulling better at top but i cant be sure what the engine is doing.

any ideas would be appriceated as to why the boost is tailing off and how i could over come it.

my new flywheel power figures 387hp

my new boost and afm reading plus power at the wheels 326hp

Rolling Road :- Surrey Rolling Road, Dyno dynamics rollers
Attached Images
Old 01-18-2013, 03:07 PM   #2894
jamg
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (7)
jamg is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
i have one 550cc injector that flows 34ml at 12ms @ 2500 rpm

wtf does that mean?
jamg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:15 PM   #2895
ForeignMuscle
Zilvia Addict

Sx mad, I will say that different dynos read different, obviously. Dynojet normally reads the highest, dynodynamics normally the lowest. 400whp is definitely doable on a dynojet and around 370-380 on dynamics. That is still rear wheel horsepower.

But for the sake of this argument let's say fuck a dyno. Trap speed tells the tale. Codyace's ride is a full weight s14 and traps 125mph I believe and I'm pretty sure he doesn't even drag race it and if so it's rare. So what I'm getting at is that someone like me who does nothing but drag race could squeeze a little more out of it possibly. 11.30's at 125mph in a full weight s14 is no less than 400hp. I wish I knew the math off the top of my head to lay it out for you.

Maybe the chassis dynos in the UK read different but here in the US a 2871 can make 400whp with full bolt ons.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:15 PM   #2896
K_style
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (63)
K_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 63 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by di-devol View Post
After the gt2871 blew, I switched to a gt2876r .63. Anyone wanna guess what I could make?

redtop sr
built bottom end
cp 9:1
tomei 256's
freddy intake
sard 850's
z32maf
JWT rom tune
Stock mani+tail 38 mvs
20 psi on 92 pump.
362 whp .
K_style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:35 PM   #2897
Sx-mad

Quote:
Sx mad, I will say that different dynos read different, obviously. Dynojet normally reads the highest, dynodynamics normally the lowest. 400whp is definitely doable on a dynojet and around 370-380 on dynamics. That is still rear wheel horsepower.

But for the sake of this argument let's say fuck a dyno. Trap speed tells the tale. Codyace's ride is a full weight s14 and traps 125mph I believe and I'm pretty sure he doesn't even drag race it and if so it's rare. So what I'm getting at is that someone like me who does nothing but drag race could squeeze a little more out of it possibly. 11.30's at 125mph in a full weight s14 is no less than 400hp. I wish I knew the math off the top of my head to lay it out for you.

Maybe the chassis dynos in the UK read different but here in the US a 2871 can make 400whp with full bolt ons.

The mapping must be quite savage in comparison

Never had mine on the drag strip but if I did with slicks I reckon 115-120mph

My spec is
1mm oversize pistons
Eagle rods
Lightened and balanced crank
Arp bolts
Standard head
1.6mm head gasket
Arp head bolts
740 injectors
Gt2871r 56trim .64
Apexi Power fc
1.4 bar

330wheel power

The avarage power made here from the gt2871r is this figure at 1.4bar

Something doesn't quite add up lol, I've been on sxoc since 2005 and owned 6 sbodys so my knowledge is quite good when it comes to the power there capable of here.

Just can't get my head round it, according to the figures on this thread vs my mods I should be making around 360wheelhorse power.

Also on this thread you say u need cams to get over 400wheel power where as on sxoc they say you need cams to make over 400flywheel horsepower, 400flywheel horsepower here is like the equivalent to around 350wheel power lol
Old 01-18-2013, 03:45 PM   #2898
ForeignMuscle
Zilvia Addict

I would expect some JWT s3's or s4's to add 30-40whp to your setup. So you would be looking at over 350-360whp at the least then. Add an intake and your looking at 10-20whp peak. Your right there at 370-380whp now. Give the room for dyno correction factor and brand differences and that could easily be read as 400whp on a high reading machine like a dynojet. Some people also tune to the ragged edge and it might be dangerous but their car might make 10whp more than a car with identical mods.

I also think unless you had a shit load of material shaved from your deck and head that a 1.6mm head gasket is to thick. I had my head and deck leveled and I still use a 1.1mm. I didn't do the math with my measurements to figure an exact compression ratio but my engine runs great so I know it works.

I know of people making 300whp with t28's.. Rare I know. People say it's impossible. Is it safe? Hell no. But the dudes beat on their shit every weekend and it works.

There will always be pissing matches about these numbers, but trap speeds don't lie.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:54 PM   #2899
Sx-mad

Just seams that every figure you say is flywheel here lol

My estimated flywheel power is 370-380hp right on the money of your estimate of wheel power. Seams to coincidental that all the figures mentioned is like our estimated flywheel power ha ha

What power does a standard sr make there?
Old 01-18-2013, 03:58 PM   #2900
huffandpuff00
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
huffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Nvm.....
huffandpuff00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:03 PM   #2901
ForeignMuscle
Zilvia Addict

You said your car makes 330wheel horse power... How the hell would it only make 380 FLYWHEEL hp with with cams and an intake added?? That would mean that cams and an intake mani add like 10whp... Thank about it dude. Your not making any sense at all.

Your car makes 330WHP..
Add an intake and cams.. 380 FLYWHEEL hp..
Parasitic drivetrain loss would be 30-40whp maybe..

So cams and intake just added 10-20whp... NO NO and NO.

I'm done arguing or even trying to help. Your just not making sense. If you just spent that much money to make 350whp I feel sorry for you. And everyone else in the UK who cant make more power than that.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:04 PM   #2902
ForeignMuscle
Zilvia Addict

And a stock sr probably doesn't even make 180-190whp.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:14 PM   #2903
Sx-mad

I wasn't argueing, your the one getting strung up, I never said I had intake manifold or cams. I said stock head and all I'm pointing out in a polite way is that the power figures in this thread matches the flywheel figures here in the uk.

I posted a link for you to look through a library of power figures so you could see the difference for your self, I not saying uk is be all and end all of power figures I'm just trying to get an understanding of the conflict.

Mapping is the same everywhere 11.5 afr's and some good ignition timing so I can't see it being a map.

I'm merely also saying that there is a significant difference between the uk and us. I'm not slating you, your country or your website.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:31 PM   #2904
Sx-mad

Also above you said that you have seen 300whp on a standard t28 where as we would say there only capable of 300fwhp.

I found this actually interesting to find these differences.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:36 PM   #2905
cotbu
Post Whore!

cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
I understand what your saying! My flywheel hp was 477bhp. How does that make sense. The 52trim here, puts down 370-380hp max to the wheels

LoverTechnologies "Half Broken Things!"
cotbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:59 PM   #2906
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Anyone have imput on how the RS3871 compares?
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:04 PM   #2907
K_style
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (63)
K_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 63 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbic View Post
Anyone have imput on how the RS3871 compares?
RS3871 ISIS turbo?

http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/399746...reviews-2.html

But not sure how to compare one to another. ISIS just won't last and it's not ball bearing.
K_style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:08 AM   #2908
Sx-mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotbu View Post
I understand what your saying! My flywheel hp was 477bhp. How does that make sense. The 52trim here, puts down 370-380hp max to the wheels
Yes I think we could get 370-380whp here but it would have to be the best spec engine and 1.7+bar

What was your spec and what was your wheel power?
Old 01-19-2013, 07:16 AM   #2909
180sxqc
Zilvia Member

180sxqc is an unknown quantity at this point
Sup guys,

Sx-Max, please take a look at this video

It is @codyace's car on the dyno

Ace on the dyno - YouTube

You can see the actual numbers at the end and you can also notice that these numbers are obtained from a dyno with rollers, which means rwhp...
180sxqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:31 AM   #2910
Sx-mad

Doesn't really explain the differences.

What gear do you guys run in as this could be the answer as we run 4th as that is usually close to 1:1 between gearbox and engine making it easier for the dyno to calculate fwhp.

Think you guys must run in 3rd thus letting your gear ratio aid power figures.