Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-01-2013, 06:28 AM   #1
Luvs2slide
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (81)
Luvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 81 reviews
Dakota Digital Settings for s15 cluster?

Trying to see what you guys have your setting at in order to get your s15 cluster to work.

I keep trying to get mine working, but I can't get none of the outputs or the applications to work; my guage stays at zero and doesn't move at all.

ALso please post what VSS you used and whether or not you grounded the VSS ground to the Dakota Digital or to a separate ground.

THanks for any input!
Old 07-01-2013, 07:17 AM   #2
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Try switching the input and output leads. Nissan speedos are polar. Post a picture of how you have it setup too. If you go to my build thread I just posted up a picture of my DD on a Z32 speed sensor in an S14. Hopefully it will help you.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:42 PM   #3
Luvs2slide
Zilvia FREAK!

Luvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of light
Is your Z32 VSS two wires? If so, did you ground one of the wires?

ANd is your speedometer currently working?
Old 07-02-2013, 01:19 PM   #4
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
The Z32 is a two wire VSS and I connected only the signal to the DD, the ground wire was left alone. My speedo was working before my car went down for a heart transplant.

I had an issue with it not reading/reading incorrectly when I installed the DD originally. Called up DD and went through the trial and error program. Turns out that it was a polarity issue and I had the ground wire hooked up to the DD. I swapped the ground wire out for the actual signal wire and it read, then I had to get a GPS out to calibrate/set it.

*EDIT*

You need to determine which is the signal wire and which is the ground wire for the VSS. You can do this with a multi-meter hooked up to a lead at a time. You'll see signal when your hooked up on the right one. Once you figure out what is what, you can proceed to hook up your DD. Cut the signal wire where ever you'd like, DO NOT cut the ground wire. If you cut the ground wire, you can solder them back together, no harm no foul there, but it's an extra step. Leave enough wire on both sides to solder another piece of wire to the piece you cut. You'll need to do this on both sides. Use tape, shrink tubing, whatever you'd like to cover those connections. Run the extended wires to your DD. There should be an input and an output terminal on the DD. Run the wire that comes from the VSS to the signal input terminal. This will allow you to alter the signal so that your speedo can be adjusted to read correctly. The signal output terminal should get the other wire that runs to the back of the cluster, which will send the adjusted signal to your speedo. I have all 4 toggle switches pushed up(away from the DD main body) on my setup. This is how mine was wired and it worked as such. As stated above, you will need to adjust the speed at which is indicated with a GPS. PM me if you need more information or help.

Last edited by jr_ss; 07-02-2013 at 07:02 PM..
jr_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:23 AM   #5
Luvs2slide
Zilvia FREAK!

Well, good news. Turns out my cluster is bad. I was fortunate to find someone with a N/A s15 Spec S to let me swap clusters and mine was confirmed bad in his car, and his worked in mine. This was using the OEM s15 VSS (in diff) and all OEM wiring. I didn't have to use the DD after all.

Nothing looked burnt up or out of place, nor were there diodes that were bad (from the ones we checked). Guess the cluster just took a dump on me.

Thanks for the assistance.