Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-14-2011, 06:38 PM   #1831
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Martin is a great asset to the 240 land, and there is no doubt in his tuning ability, but 381 ft lbs of torque out of a 28RS, at only 16 psi is frankly unbelievable. Seems like a correction issue with the dyno, or some sort of pickup issue/spike causing the peak. Even the HP is a bit exagerated for being stock without cams.

I'm certain your car runs well, but the numbers are hard to believe. Have you ever drag raced your car and gotten a trap speed?

Most 28RS cars dyno in the 340-360 whp like yours *both FWD and RWD*, granted at 18-19 psi, but NEVER make much more than 320/330 ft lbs...that additional 50 ft lbs is sick, albiet I'm skeptical of it.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2011, 06:43 PM   #1832
cordobes
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
cordobes is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I also tho that there was a problem with the dyno, I didn't put it on the track,I just did a 1/4 mile on the same dyno and I did 11.6sec at 119.5mph.... I will try another dyno next month and see what's up.
cordobes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:53 PM   #1833
codyace
Post Whore!

codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
120 traps in a 240 is very indicative of a 400 whp car...that's very similar to my times (11.64 @ 120) Seems like more of a dyno error or anything, but even then a 28RS car trapping 120 mph is no joke and VERY uncommon. Nice setup!

(assuming on slicks)

If anything it seems like you may have your HP and torque backwards...then it would make more sense. If not, just a wacky dyno at best

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
Old 02-14-2011, 08:19 PM   #1834
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nismoninjagtr View Post
i've searched and searched but i can't find a 100% answer where i can buy and what lines to get for my T2 .64ar 56 trim GT2871r...? codyace can you shed some light my setup is closely based on yours... or any other knowlegeable GT2871r owner help plz...
Hey!

Sorry for missing this message, I cant' believe I skipped it over!

I used Taka lines for my car

TURBO LINES

Check them out!

Old 02-14-2011, 11:29 PM   #1835
drag113
Leaky Injector

drag113 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspaeth View Post
No doubt you had some hands-on tuning from one of the best in the business, but 353 ft-lbs seems absurdly high.

Don't Mustangs usually yield the LOWEST reading amongst the commonly used dynos?

Cody's setup put out peak torque around 310 ft-lbs or so (which is what I would expect from a 260 cam and 2871r).

353 ft-lbs seems CRAZY high for a 2871r...........
Really? i'll pull up the dyno graph eventually. Im still waiting for it to get emailed to me. It was dyno tuned at CFT. You ask different people and you'll hear most say it reads accurate, then a crowd who says it reads a bit high. Either way I definately plan on running meth eventually and definately hit over 4xx. I don't want to risk any pinging or knock in hot summer florida on a stock block. Either way i'm really happy with the outcome.
drag113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:03 AM   #1836
tabasco122
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
tabasco122 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I'm trying to decide on which AR i want, but i definately want this turbo. Heres the current mod list.

Engine Parts Installed
S13 Blacktop SR
CP 9:1 Pistons
BC Rods
Clevite Bearings
Apexi HG
ARP Head Studs
BC Valves/Retainers/Springs
BC 264 Cams
RAS
Mishimoto Radiator
Megan Racing DP and Test Pipe
Blitz Nur Spec Exhaust
Spec Stage 3 Clutch
Walbro 255 Pump
Nismo FPR w/ summit gauge

Machine Work Done
Bored .20 over
Block and Head Decked
Port/Polish heads
3 angle valve job

Extras Installed
Cusco Coolant Overflow tank
Greddy FMIC
Greddy Profec B
Innovate LC1 WB02 (not installed)
Autometer Boost, Oil Press, and Water Temp

Also plan on getting an Isis Intake Manifold eventually. Basically the car only needs turbo, injectors, and a tune.

For the turbo i was planning on a 2871 of course, the injectors i was going to go with deatschwerks 810's, and an enthalpy tune. I was going to get it tuned for 93 and another tune for 93 w/ meth then get an AEM kit later. Any suggestions you guys can make? Is this build capable of 400hp?
tabasco122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:38 AM   #1837
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drag113 View Post
Really? i'll pull up the dyno graph eventually. Im still waiting for it to get emailed to me. It was dyno tuned at CFT. You ask different people and you'll hear most say it reads accurate, then a crowd who says it reads a bit high. Either way I definately plan on running meth eventually and definately hit over 4xx. I don't want to risk any pinging or knock in hot summer florida on a stock block. Either way i'm really happy with the outcome.
CFT's dynos have certainly always been in question/debate for as LONG as I can remember. They make nice cars, but the numbers have always been suspect.

Regardless you shoul dhave NO issue hitting 400 whp. 350 trq may certainly be possible with a custom tune...problem is not many have the ability to let Martin tune for them hehe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabasco122 View Post
I'm trying to decide on which AR i want, but i definately want this turbo. Heres the current mod list.....
Also plan on getting an Isis Intake Manifold eventually. Basically the car only needs turbo, injectors, and a tune.....
For the turbo i was planning on a 2871 of course, the injectors i was going to go with deatschwerks 810's, and an enthalpy tune. I was going to get it tuned for 93 and another tune for 93 w/ meth then get an AEM kit later. Any suggestions you guys can make? Is this build capable of 400hp?
.64 for sure. The marginal gains of the .86 housing peak power wise are not worth the lack of bottom end. In all honesty, at the rate of your build, why not look into a smaller 30r top mount setup? Curious

Either way, ditch those injectors and get actual manufactured ones. I'm shocked Enthalpy will even tune with DW injectors. With all of that money into the build, why skip on fuel.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:44 AM   #1838
2fast4y0u
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (9)
2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
hey steve, im almost done with my car in paint. I will be contacting you in regards to the aem base map you sent me, I hopefully have a long season this year at the track.

NHRA is hosting an even at my local drag strip where i can compete to win a Wally
2fast4y0u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:34 AM   #1839
tabasco122
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
.64 for sure. The marginal gains of the .86 housing peak power wise are not worth the lack of bottom end. In all honesty, at the rate of your build, why not look into a smaller 30r top mount setup? Curious

Either way, ditch those injectors and get actual manufactured ones. I'm shocked Enthalpy will even tune with DW injectors. With all of that money into the build, why skip on fuel.
Well what brand do you suggest? I dont really want top feed injectors because i dont want to have to change the fuel rail then switch to AN yet. Eventually i may want to do that but not yet. As far as turbo choice goes, I was thinking next year or the year after i would go with a twin scroll 3076 setup from powerlabs or full race, but i have a few events i want to do this summer with my old platform (bunch of friends there) and i cant wait to get the money for that setup. Plus if i can hit 400 on this setup, it may be enough to satisfy me.

I want a car that I can drive across the country to an event, put down decent times, then drive home with no issues. A lot of the parts in my car can handle well over 400hp, but why stress them if theres a chance ill be satisfied with 400?

The main thing is running the tail of the dragon in may, then 3000gt/dodge stealth national gathering in june.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:41 AM   #1840
longfellow
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
longfellow is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Deals Gap is all about Torque. You'll use 3rd gear probably 5 times for a total of about 30 seconds. Its all 2nd gear stuff and a lot of the hair pins will be below 3500RPM especially since you have to stay in between the lines which makes it increadably tight with very very very very very little room for error.

I'm actually worried about going up there this year with 300hp T28 set up, as the last couple of times was with a stock KA and that was pretty much insane as is, but I tend to drive 9/10ths on that road.
longfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:40 PM   #1841
tabasco122
Zilvia Junkie

Well I have good tires, z32 fronts, ss lines, and good pads front and rear, so I should be fine if I take it easy. Aside from the dw injectors, which are the largest after the nismo 740s?
Old 02-16-2011, 10:14 AM   #1842
drag113
Leaky Injector

drag113 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
UPDATE!

Martin tuned my car yesterday here in Orlando. Made 394whp/353wtq @ 18 psi on mustang dyno. Car feels incredible.

Again this was on:
2871r .82
Tomei 260 procam
Isis manifold
740cc injectors
Power FC
Supporting mods
Torque numbers read higher than I said. I wonder wat that dip around 3.5k is

drag113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:45 PM   #1843
Seraphim38
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
Seraphim38 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to Seraphim38
I have to admit that reading this thread made me think that I should see a 300rwhp number from my 2871r setup, but noting that it was only boosting to 13psi since I didn't want risk blowing my stock head gasket, I figured my 254rwhp number would be worth posting up.

Is there anyone who thinks that there's something wrong with my setup and results as posted?
Seraphim38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:03 PM   #1844
longfellow
Zilvia Addict

I make 280hp at 15 psi on a S14 T28, so that seems kinda low.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:18 AM   #1845
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
I dont really want top feed injectors because i dont want to have to change the fuel rail then switch to AN yet. Eventually i may want to do that but not yet.
I know you may not want to change the rail, but for easy of use and installation, going with a tradtional top feed upgrade makes life so much easier. I know Nismo used to make 615cc sidefeeds if you still wanted sidefeed though. Just research the redrilled injectors heavily...again, never for my car. Shame as DW is a great guy on here and other forums, but there are far to many injector realted issues with any of those kind of services.

Quote:
As far as turbo choice goes, I was thinking next year or the year after i would go with a twin scroll 3076 setup from powerlabs or full race, but i have a few events i want to do this summer with my old platform (bunch of friends there) and i cant wait to get the money for that setup. Plus if i can hit 400 on this setup, it may be enough to satisfy me.
Understood. That's why I love my car as it's a 400 whp setup, that spools fast and is reliable/fun. I've yet to ever have an issue at it's power level (well engine related, I burn thogh brakes and have changed all of the suspension haha)

But certainly the .64 2871 is IMO the best streetable setup. Turn boost down, and you've got a regular 280-300 whp car at 10 psi...calm! And you should see 30mpg with it too! Seems like your goals are like mine..thankfully I've been more than content since doing the car forever ago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by longfellow View Post
Deals Gap is all about Torque. You'll use 3rd gear probably 5 times for a total of about 30 seconds. Its all 2nd gear stuff and a lot of the hair pins will be below 3500RPM especially since you have to stay in between the lines which makes it increadably tight with very very very very very little room for error.

I'm actually worried about going up there this year with 300hp T28 set up, as the last couple of times was with a stock KA and that was pretty much insane as is, but I tend to drive 9/10ths on that road.
I've always wanted to make a trip down there :/

Quote:
Torque numbers read higher than I said. I wonder wat that dip around 3.5k is
Nothing to worry about....probably a pickup issue.

Either way, great numbers..>VERY similar to mine. I know my car is a blast to drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraphim38 View Post
I have to admit that reading this thread made me think that I should see a 300rwhp number from my 2871r setup, but noting that it was only boosting to 13psi since I didn't want risk blowing my stock head gasket, I figured my 254rwhp number would be worth posting up.
Ar you on stock cams/intake manifold? I know my 'setup' and the others like mine all make 280ish-300ish whp at 10 psi.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:03 AM   #1846
longfellow
Zilvia Addict

Its worth the trip. Me and Chris Epstein will be heading back there probably around April.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:00 PM   #1847
tabasco122
Zilvia Junkie

I thought most topfeed setups leaked or didnt work right with greddy/freddy manifolds.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:01 PM   #1848
2fast4y0u
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (9)
2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
im just glad to see this thread alive again. started to think everyone has sold their 2871 setups
2fast4y0u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:35 PM   #1849
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by longfellow View Post
Its worth the trip. Me and Chris Epstein will be heading back there probably around April.
Haha, whats funnier yet is that it's probably half way exactly for us, roughly 550/600 miles for me.

Old 02-17-2011, 02:05 PM   #1850
longfellow
Zilvia Addict

About that, takes about 10-11 hours to get there.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:07 PM   #1851
Seraphim38
Zilvia Addict

Yes I am running a completely stock SR20DET blacktop non-VVT setup with the only internal change being the addition of rocker arm stoppers.

I am going to have compression and leakdown test done. If the bottom end comes out ok, I will mount up a modded head with 264 cams and Ti retainers, ARP studs and Apexi HG. Then we'll see what it puts down on the same dyno for comparison, and I'll probably find a local DJ dyno for comparison. I just recently had an emissions test done and without a catalytic converter it sniffed out as running super clean. I have no indication that the bottom end or top end are faulty other than that the oil dip stick pops out sometimes due to crankcase vent pressure.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:22 PM   #1852
Psycho 240 Freak
Zilvia Member

Psycho 240 Freak is making his/her stupidity well-knownPsycho 240 Freak is making his/her stupidity well-knownPsycho 240 Freak is making his/her stupidity well-knownPsycho 240 Freak is making his/her stupidity well-knownPsycho 240 Freak is making his/her stupidity well-known
I'll throw out my numbers for further comparisons. 260 whp @ 11 psi and 283 whp @ 16 psi on a mustang dyno tuned by U.P. Garage in Tacoma, WA.

GT2871R .64
Stock manifold
Apex'i exhaust
Apex'i intake
3 inch downpipe
Catco cat
550cc injectors
Apex'i PFC
Split fire ignition system
Tomei 260 procams
N62 Maf
EVO Intercooler

That's as much as I can remember for now. Doug at U.P. Garage actually has a thread about all the SR's that comes through his shop. You just never really know what you're going to get.
Psycho 240 Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 03:47 PM   #1853
Seraphim38
Zilvia Addict

Thanks for posting. I had been considering going to UP Garage for my next tuning session since Ray @ Garage Autohero doesn't have a dyno to play on.

Your numbers are not too far from mine, and I don't have the Tomei cams, PFC or splitfire coils.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:53 PM   #1854
Seraphim38
Zilvia Addict

As a follow up to my previous post, the leakdown test came back with 5% to 8% across all cylinders, which the mechanic expressed was some of the best results he had seen for a JDM stock internals motor that hasn't ever been opened.

I now have everything on order to do the head swap with 264 cams, springs/retainers, all except the 800cc top feed injectors which I can pickup from a local source when I return next week from a business trip.

My car is plenty fast as it is, so I don't really need to do it but am excited to see what happens when it has cams and can be turned up from its current 13 psi to 19 psi or so. I am not afraid of running a race gas mix if needed...but that will all depend on the tune. I will post new dyno results to contrast with the previous results above when it is done.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:10 PM   #1855
BoostFiend510
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
BoostFiend510 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Would it be better to go with 550 size injectors or the bigger 750s??? I see people with both so i just wanted to know which is better running with a .64 gt2871r.
BoostFiend510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 05:49 PM   #1856
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostFiend510 View Post
Would it be better to go with 550 size injectors or the bigger 750s??? I see people with both so i just wanted to know which is better running with a .64 gt2871r.
Go with the 750's.

FWIW: I'm currently installing LS2 coilpacks, and a 70mm N15 throttle body. Gonna see what sort of gains I can come across.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:26 PM   #1857
tabasco122
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
Go with the 750's.

FWIW: I'm currently installing LS2 coilpacks, and a 70mm N15 throttle body. Gonna see what sort of gains I can come across.
i saw the ls coil pack upgrade for the ca motors, was wondering if anyone has done it with the SR.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:26 AM   #1858
Pantaloons
Leaky Injector

Pantaloons is an unknown quantity at this point
i made 420 whp with my 2871r .86 set up

I am now upgrading to a 3076r .63 and upgrading the compression to 10.5:1
Old 03-02-2011, 12:05 PM   #1859
ke70 sr20det
Leaky Injector

ke70 sr20det is an unknown quantity at this point
wow read all 62 pages and i can only say cody your setup seems to be the best spoolup wise and street racing .... im gonna copy each and everything like you with less weight sr corolla for sure

on cams im totally convinced on s3 but tomei 260 with s3 duration and lift like c1 could also be a good combo my .2 cents

still happy with s15 t28 on stock boost ill add pfc and sard injectors to max this setup then 2871.63

end of the day ill trap good 1/4 mile tyme on ke70 sr20 ..its light weight lol

my link
YouTube - 82 corolla sr20det t28
YouTube - 82 corolla sr20det vs salmans 2jzgte single pink silvia
Old 03-02-2011, 12:27 PM   #1860
tabasco122
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantaloons View Post