Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 10-02-2017, 05:00 PM   #1
oewoko
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
oewoko is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Fitting QR25DE coil packs

Hey all. I've had enough with my spark plug blowout issue. Gapping tighter, then using liquid tape all over the coil pack, and then trying regular electrical tape, I still have blowout. Although much less, it is still intermittent, and with a planned turbo upgrade, I might as well make my ignition beefier.

If you ask why not LS coils, it's because I have a whole set of the QR's for free. And with being coil on plug, less work without having to mount the coils.

Now I just test fitted them, and I have this gap between the valve cover and the top portion of the coil pack. My question is this ok to leave open, or do I need to seal it somehow?

I have also included a pic comparing a few coils.

Left, VQ35HR
Middle, QR25DE
Right, SR20DET

I had a spare VQ coil cause I'm trying to figure out a stumbling problem on my G.

The SR is shorter by about 1 inch. What do you guys think?

Googling only shows that people have used both the VQ and QR coils, but no how to's or install photos. Thanks for any help

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
oewoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2017, 08:46 PM   #2
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Pretty self explanatory. If you leave it open there is potential for water or debris ingress into the hole.
VQ coilpacks are plug and play if you switch two wires on the coil plugs and delete the ignitor.
If QR coils have the internal ignitor then I would assume the same.

Bolting them down is up to you.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 10:52 PM   #3
blksylv
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (33)
blksylv is not welcome here anymoreblksylv is not welcome here anymoreblksylv is not welcome here anymoreblksylv is not welcome here anymoreblksylv is not welcome here anymoreblksylv is not welcome here anymoreblksylv is not welcome here anymoreblksylv is not welcome here anymoreblksylv is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
Vq coils are plug and play with an ignitor bypass and a s15 coilpack harness. I still have a gap on mines as far as not sealing to the vc. I just don't drive it when it rains out lol. Here's a pic of how I have mine bolted down. Just made a small bracket for each one.

there is nothing wrong with enjoying the build. however, we sometimes have to remind ourselves that the build is only one part of the puzzle, and that ultimately - enjoying and driving the car is the number one priority.
blksylv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 11:11 PM   #4
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
S15 coilpack harness isn't required. S13 harness plugs right into them.
Old 10-03-2017, 04:10 PM   #5
oewoko
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
oewoko is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Thanks for the reply. I'll go forward with the swap, and update this thread. I'm going to try to seal the gap.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
oewoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 01:24 PM   #6
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (18)
LoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
S15 coilpack harness isn't required. S13 harness plugs right into them.
Connector plugs right in, but needs to be rewired at the coil pack side. Basically flipping 2 pins. Pretty simple and I've written up the diagram before.
LoSt180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 09:29 PM   #7
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Right, that's what I said in my first post in this thread lol.