Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-02-2014, 08:03 AM   #1
pacotaco345
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
pacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Lightweight Flywheels?

Can you guys convince me either way on lightweight flywheels? I just blew my 2nd SR and I figured go big or go home this time. Its getting eagle rods & arias pistons, the head is already built and I have an exedy stage clutch in it. The machine shop told me they need a flywheel to balance the rotating assembly as best they can but I'm still driving the car around on 3 cylinders so pulling the stock one isn't really an option. I'm gonna buy a second flywheel anyways to reduce downtime but I need to justify the extra 2-300 for a nice lightweight one.

Personal experiences etc, I drive my friends car all the time which has a ka and a comp clutch steel flywheel but that still weighs around 16 pounds, if I do this it will be some kind of billet < 10 lb flywheel plus the lighter internals I have. Is it worth it/will I hate my life daily driving this thing? Thanks
Old 09-02-2014, 08:08 AM   #2
economix
Zilvia Member

economix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud of
Fidanza Flywheel is 11# and around $350 or so (Enjuku). I picked one up, no complaints.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:41 AM   #3
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
derass is making a name for him/her selfderass is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
If you are drifting, IMO a stock or steel lightened flywheel, would be preferred over an ultra light aluminum one. A heavier flywheel will help keep the revs up when you are using the ebrake. For all other types of performance driving, as light as you can go is ideal for increased response, but I'm sure there are downsides.
derass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:11 PM   #4
pacotaco345
Zilvia FREAK!

pacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by economix View Post
Fidanza Flywheel is 11# and around $350 or so (Enjuku). I picked one up, no complaints.
Awesome, fidenza was actually what I was looking into. Are you running the one with the replaceable friction plate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by derass View Post
If you are drifting, IMO a stock or steel lightened flywheel, would be preferred over an ultra light aluminum one. A heavier flywheel will help keep the revs up when you are using the ebrake. For all other types of performance driving, as light as you can go is ideal for increased response, but I'm sure there are downsides.
That used to be my opinion on them as well. I did however have the pleasure of Yokoi driving my car and it is now my personal opinion that the sound/feel/look of constantly hammering the gas pedal & clutch when using ebrake or footbrake and quick revs is much cooler lol.

Last edited by pacotaco345; 09-02-2014 at 01:01 PM..
pacotaco345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:16 PM   #5
ManoNegra
Guild of Skullduggerous Intent

Trader Rating: (48)
ManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 48 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to ManoNegra
~15lbs is a good compromise between streetability and performance from experience.
ManoNegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:39 PM   #6
pg240

pg240 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have been running the 10.6lb Toda Chrome-molly Flywheel for about a year now and the engine is much more responsive over the dual mass flywheel that comes with the S15 SR.
pg240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 02:34 PM   #7
economix
Zilvia Member

economix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacotaco345 View Post
Awesome, fidenza was actually what I was looking into. Are you running the one with the replaceable friction plate?
I do indeed run the replaceable friction plate unit, however, I've never had to do that yet so I can't offer you reliable or decent feedback there. I can tell you that it makes it more responsive and depending on your power output can create some adverse streetability - can be jarring at times, quick engagement.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:12 PM   #8
curo72

curo72 is an unknown quantity at this point
http://www.w8ji.com/rotating_mass_acceleration.htm
I'm not going to say this is correct, but it's convincing and he uses maths.
curo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:26 PM   #9
SilviaSR20DET
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (9)
SilviaSR20DET is making a name for him/her selfSilviaSR20DET is making a name for him/her selfSilviaSR20DET is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I daily a Blitz active clutch or aka ogura clutch that comes with a lightweight flywheel i tell you it rocks. Daily driving it is not bad at all very streetable yet grabs very hard. Easy to adapt to for sure.
SilviaSR20DET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:54 PM   #10
aga
Zilvia Junkie

aga is an unknown quantity at this point
if you can choose, take one that is not too light. it can be a pain in the ass when starting from a stop. also when the flywheel is too light, when you switch gears in normal driving, the revs drop too much and jump up again when the clutch is engaged.

the factory knows what it's doing :P
Old 09-03-2014, 10:42 AM   #11
Wookie384
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (10)
Wookie384 is just really niceWookie384 is just really niceWookie384 is just really niceWookie384 is just really niceWookie384 is just really niceWookie384 is just really niceWookie384 is just really niceWookie384 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Wookie384
My NA SR20DE in my S13 loves to rev thanks to the Toda flywheel I have, the ACT clutch on the other hand is a piece of shit but that's a whole different topic, just stay the fuck away from ACT like it's Miley Cyrus infected with Ebola on a Malaysian Airlines flight flying over Crimea.
Wookie384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 12:29 PM   #12
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
OBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Do not like light flywheels for the cost. I like the rpm's to hang a little. In my M3 they drop so fast I have to really time my footwork. Plus I get that light flywheel chatter. Ugh.
Old 09-03-2014, 01:40 PM   #13
Dboyizmlg
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (18)
Dboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
I have the Fidanza 11lbs flywheel, been running that for about 2 1/2 years now.
I love it, response is good also my motor dyno at 332wtq with and exedy stage 2 clutch.
I have no complaints at all!!
Dboyizmlg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 03:19 PM   #14
didderson
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (6)
didderson will become famous soon enoughdidderson will become famous soon enoughdidderson will become famous soon enoughdidderson will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to didderson
Been running the ACT xtss clutch kit with their chromoly flywheel for a few years & haven't had any problems. Perfect compromise in weight so I don't run into nuances that Obee does with his m3. Awesome organic disc can take a lot of drift sessions, feels like stock from a dig other than the beefy pedal feel on the 3/4 slave. /nerdout
Old 09-03-2014, 09:48 PM   #15
eek
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (29)
eek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
I would stay away from anything that is not chromoly.

Anyhow, I found this older thread, http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=187760

Check out post #25...
eek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:55 PM   #16
az_240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (41)
az_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Send a message via AIM to az_240
^yep... good advice from shadows. Can't go wrong with the ACT streetlite.
az_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:44 PM   #17
Matej
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
If you use your car for drifting at all, you should not use an aluminum flywheel.

Drifting is quite hard on the clutch and flywheel assembly and creates a lot of heat. Aluminum has different thermal expansion properties than steel, so when you have an aluminum flywheel bolted between a steel crank and pressure plate expanding at a different rate, it can end badly.
There have also been instances of the starter ring gears separating from aluminum flywheels due to heat.
Matej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 11:10 PM   #18
Dboyizmlg
Nissanaholic!

Dboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-known
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matej View Post
If you use your car for drifting at all, you should not use an aluminum flywheel.

Drifting is quite hard on the clutch and flywheel assembly and creates a lot of heat. Aluminum has different thermal expansion properties than steel, so when you have an aluminum flywheel bolted between a steel crank and pressure plate expanding at a different rate, it can end badly.
There have also been instances of the starter ring gears separating from aluminum flywheels due to heat.
....is this true?
Hmm, more info por favor..
Old 09-03-2014, 11:16 PM   #19
pacotaco345
Zilvia FREAK!

Thanks for all the input guys! I think I'm going to go with a comp clutch 10.2 lb chromoly flywheel. After what I read on here about aluminum ones and the fact I can get it new at cost from one of my friends so I don't feel like I'm overpaying for whatever marginal performance gain I get. On top of that I don't think I'll ever use it enough to the point where a simple resurface won't fix any imperfections.

I'm not sure if I stated it before but I'm not too concerned with how it affects my driving style as I'm a ricer inside and post this build I should have a straight piped, high comp, cammed SR that will be my daily for at least a few months. I want the car to sound cool and snappy when I'm at events, I'm sure I can adapt my driving style to suit.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:41 PM   #20
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Trader Rating: (41)
dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
ive been running an ACT prolite flywheel for the better part of 4 years now on my SR (and for about 2 years on my previous SR)... all round i have zero complaints, though on a stock ECU, the car gets a little fickle when it cant go into idle loop (put car in gear, let clutch out a bit to drop RPMs, take car out of gear when this happens). in my last 240, i beat the crap out of my ACT clutch setup and found no real ill effect. but just throwing in my 2 cents is all.

honestly, for just an all around great clutch/flywheel combo... acts sprung 6 puck, Prolite flywheel and heavy duty pressure plate are VERY VERY streetable (and hold good power as well)

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
dorkidori_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:35 PM   #21
jrmto

jrmto is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dboyizmlg View Post
I have the Fidanza 11lbs flywheel, been running that for about 2 1/2 years now.
I love it, response is good also my motor dyno at 332wtq with and exedy stage 2 clutch.
I have no complaints at all!!
did you do your own work on car with the fidanza flywheel and exedy clutch?
jrmto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:15 PM   #22
2plus4plus0eq6
Zilvia Junkie

2plus4plus0eq6 is making his/her stupidity well-known2plus4plus0eq6 is making his/her stupidity well-known2plus4plus0eq6 is making his/her stupidity well-known2plus4plus0eq6 is making his/her stupidity well-known
I've got a lightweight ACT one I paid big bucks for back in the day. I also have an aluminum driveshaft. Guys will say it doesn't increase horsepower, but the less weight in the car, better throttle response, and quicker acceleration is worth the money. Do it now while you have access to the tranny.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:34 PM   #23
Dboyizmlg
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmto View Post
did you do your own work on car with the fidanza flywheel and exedy clutch?
Yes I did, why do you ask?
Old 09-30-2014, 10:51 PM   #24
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
imagine you had a flywheel that weighs 100lbs. You think that when you let out the clutch it will slow down much? No. It will rip the tires off the car and propel the vehicle forward as the rpms drop slightly.

Imagine you had a flywheel that weighs 0.01lbs. You think that when you let out the clutch it wont come to a complete stop, stalling the engine?

On the other hand, getting that 100lb flywheel moving will be costly. And carrying that thing around, spinning all the time, will also be costly. Also, when sudden changed in RPM are required, such as between shifts, it will be more difficult to slow down because of all that spinning mass, the clutch will work harder and get hotter.

These two extremes should give you an idea why people tend to go only slightly less weight than stock, and why many will say do not go too light. It gives a slight performance increase without being so light that driving the car becomes a chore.

Note that vehicle weight also factors in. the heavier the vehicle the heavier you want the flywheel. It should become obvious why if you consider back to the 0.01lbs flywheel example. Imagine if your car also weighed 0.01lbs. You could let out the clutch and not stall the engine, because the car is so light it would move as easily as the flywheel did, and just a couple horsepower would get you moving pretty fast. Big heavy trucks with big heavy engines that carry heavy loads should have big heavy flywheels.
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 11:09 PM   #25
Matej
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Why would a 0.01lbs. flywheel stall the engine? An engine can run without a flywheel.

Theoretically, there really is no mechanical disadvantage to a lightweight flywheel in a vehicle. The only reason stock flywheels weigh as much as they do is because the manufacturer decided that is the weight that would provide the optimal balance between efficiency and ease of shifting for the average driver.
Matej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 12:30 AM   #26
l adam l
Zilvia Member

l adam l is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matej View Post
Why would a 0.01lbs. flywheel stall the engine? An engine can run without a flywheel.

Theoretically, there really is no mechanical disadvantage to a lightweight flywheel in a vehicle. The only reason stock flywheels weigh as much as they do is because the manufacturer decided that is the weight that would provide the optimal balance between efficiency and ease of shifting for the average driver.
he's meaning if you were to let off of the clutch slowly it wouldn't have enough rotational force, so the engine would die instead of pulling the car...like a stock one does.

the whole rotational force thing is what comes into play. im sure on throttle response you'd feel it right off, but inbetween shifting i bet your car would quickly drop as it doesn't have that extra weight to keep it spinning.

try thinking of it like this, hang a paper plate up on the wall by its center with a bolt and spin it, then hang your flywheel on the wall in spin it. one is going to stay spinning longer than the other, but one will take more force to move initially.

also there have been horror stories of aluminum flywheels cutting people's feet off, probably because of the whole heating up and cooling down at different temperatures.
l adam l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:51 AM   #27
pacotaco345
Zilvia FREAK!

Anyways... I bought a comp clutch lightweight one, and it weighs 10 lbs, not .01.. I love it, car revs fast, heel & toe is much more crisp, I can be more of a ricer.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:18 AM   #28
jrmto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dboyizmlg View Post
Yes I did, why do you ask?

I have some questions on fidanza flywheel regarding upon installation
Old 10-01-2014, 10:33 AM   #29
Dboyizmlg
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmto View Post
I have some questions on fidanza flywheel regarding upon installation
Ask away... Might be a little off topic for this thread though.
But just ask, what would you like to know?
Old 10-01-2014, 10:48 AM   #30
jrmto

I have new fidanza flywheel and new exedy stage 1 clutch was wondering if it would all line up perfectly.