Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:21 AM   #1
continental

Trader Rating: (0)
continental is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
noob question

Are there any California legal turbo kits for the sr?
Old 12-18-2012, 09:47 AM   #2
MamangSorbetero
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
MamangSorbetero is a jewel in the roughMamangSorbetero is a jewel in the roughMamangSorbetero is a jewel in the roughMamangSorbetero is a jewel in the roughMamangSorbetero is a jewel in the roughMamangSorbetero is a jewel in the roughMamangSorbetero is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
>California legal
>SR
>turbo kit

pick one
MamangSorbetero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:02 AM   #3
continental

Well lets skip the cali legal ha I can do the Sr turbo right?
Old 12-18-2012, 11:31 AM   #4
rcdad123
Zilvia Addict

rcdad123 is an unknown quantity at this point
as far as i know, there is no legal turbo kit for the sr20 de equipped cars that are legal in Cali. sr20det engines were and are not legal in Cali. even on sentras and g20s. I think Greddy had a legal turbo kit for the s14 ka24de. if they did and you can get a hold of one, that is a legal way to turbo your s13. but you have to get a complete s14 ka swap on your s13.
rcdad123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:46 AM   #5
continental

Well I'm getting the g20 Sr so I didn't know if they had one or not, but I guess I'll wait or break the law thanks guys
Old 12-18-2012, 12:58 PM   #6
K_style
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (63)
K_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 63 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by continental View Post
Well I'm getting the g20 Sr so I didn't know if they had one or not, but I guess I'll wait or break the law thanks guys
I think you have a 240sx and trying to make legal with SR20DE from G20?

First of all, if you are not even sure if G20 came with SR or not then don't even bother read below and request Mod to close this thread.

Hope you understand G20 is FWD and 240sx is RWD therefore it won't be straight bolt on. also you will have to hook up all the emission equipment in order to pass not only Smog test, Smog Referee to have inspect your vehicle to make it legal swap.

in case your car is newer than 1996 than you will have to worry about OBD2 as well.. At the end, it won't be turbo charged SR20 anyways ?

Quote:
Engine changes are legal as long as the following requirements are met to ensure that the change does not increase pollution from the vehicle:

*The engine must be the same year or newer than the vehicle.
*The engine must be from the same type of vehicle (passenger car, light-duty truck, heavy-duty truck, etc.) based on gross vehicle weight.
*If the vehicle is a California certified vehicle then the engine must also be a California certified engine.
*All emissions control equipment must remain on the installed engine.

After an engine change, vehicles must first be inspected by a state referee station. The vehicle will be inspected to ensure that all the equipment required is in place, and vehicle will be emissions tested subject to the specifications of the installed engine.
before shit storm heats your thread, give up trying to do legal SR20'd 240sx.
you will end up spending $ and time which you could have bought a nice new car with.
K_style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:11 PM   #7
continental

Yeah its a 93 and I don't know too much about the g20 but my buddy has done several of the swaps and was going to take care of all of that I just wanted add a turbo eventually
Old 12-18-2012, 01:25 PM   #8
K_style
Post Whore!

K_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfection
Quote:
Yeah its a 93 and I don't know too much about the g20 but my buddy has done several of the swaps and was going to take care of all of that I just wanted add a turbo eventually
Your buddy has done several G20 SR into 240sx swaps? what is his name? what shop does he own or work at? I never heard of a such mechanic in California.

if you add a turbo, it won't be legal. why bother to do nonsense? I am not trying convince you or anything but I think you need to do whole lot of research before even do anything.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:17 PM   #9
1on1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
I remember my first sr20, I was at racewars in my civic...
Old 12-18-2012, 04:29 PM   #10
GroundPerformance
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (44)
GroundPerformance is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 44 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1on1 View Post
This must be yours... Sick!!

SoCal KA24DET/KA24ET Owners
<< Join the FB Group >>
GroundPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:10 PM   #11
continental

G-werx out of San Bernardino. I am just going with what he says I don't know how many swaps from a g20 he's done but he's built several 240sx's and I am trying to do my research before I do it, if at all
Old 12-19-2012, 12:48 AM   #12
MamangSorbetero
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
MamangSorbetero is a jewel in the roughMamangSorbetero is a jewel in the roughMamangSorbetero is a jewel in the roughMamangSorbetero is a jewel in the roughMamangSorbetero is a jewel in the roughMamangSorbetero is a jewel in the roughMamangSorbetero is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Bet you must've been given quite the favor to do that badass of a swap. Wonder what you did

all I have is a junkyard 2JZ I have to rebuild
MamangSorbetero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:28 AM   #13
DJPimpFlex
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (115)
DJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 115 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DJPimpFlex Send a message via MSN to DJPimpFlex
G20 is fwd...... not going to work bro. NA SR out of japan will work but its worse than a KA lol.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:01 AM   #14
K_style
Post Whore!

Quote:
G-werx out of San Bernardino. I am just going with what he says I don't know how many swaps from a g20 he's done but he's built several 240sx's and I am trying to do my research before I do it, if at all
You need to stop dreaming this... and come to real world.

Racewars is in 2 weeks and you need a couple of premium SR20s from Japan instead of getting from G20.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:08 AM   #15
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJPimpFlex View Post
G20 is fwd...... not going to work bro. NA SR out of japan will work but its worse than a KA lol.
Not necessarily, I'll take the rev happy NA SR over the KA anytime. Power is up time on the SR where the KA fucking dies at 5k. I love freakin drifting my buddy's NA S14 Silvia.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:43 AM   #16
DJPimpFlex
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (115)
DJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 115 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DJPimpFlex Send a message via MSN to DJPimpFlex
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliprayzin240sx View Post
Not necessarily, I'll take the rev happy NA SR over the KA anytime. Power is up time on the SR where the KA fucking dies at 5k. I love freakin drifting my buddy's NA S14 Silvia.
Fair enough. To be honest I haven't driven one. I feel that if you are going to spend money on a swap you need to have a bit more headroom. From what I know about the motor it isn't just a SR20DET with the turbo pulled off, like they aren't quite as beefy.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:15 PM   #17
continental

Ok, thanks for your input k_syle I was just asking to see what my options were, as far as racewars I'm not too worried about any competitions at the moment
Old 12-19-2012, 02:24 PM   #18
GroundPerformance
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (44)
GroundPerformance is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 44 reviews
I'm the opposite of that. I would never pull an KA for an SR20DE this talk of high rev is useless not only it doesnt have TQ that power up top is not that great either unless you want to invest on more $$ ITB and others. The only reason I like picking the SR20DE are for low budget SR20DE+T builds. Swapping turbo internals and making decent power for cheap.

SoCal KA24DET/KA24ET Owners
<< Join the FB Group >>

Last edited by GroundPerformance; 12-19-2012 at 04:08 PM..
GroundPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:54 PM   #19
ghoti
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
ghoti is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Off topic but your comment reminded me of this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45Isp2tFyT0
ghoti is offline   Reply With Quote