Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:11 AM   #1
drftthatshit
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
drftthatshit is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
KA bad gas millage

hey to any body that has a clue i have a prob my 240 goes thou gas like crazy i dont really know what it may be but i have a clue the IAT at the bottom of the MAF is broken the wires just fell off can this cause the 54 miles to the half tank im really lost this is my first import and i need a direction to be sent in
drftthatshit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2008, 11:30 AM   #2
ms!3
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (7)
ms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ms!3
set it down one saturday. check everything. sure it needs a tune up.
ms!3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 04:00 PM   #3
drftthatshit
Zilvia Member

no tune up has been done what i did find out is the IAT wires are broken which runs the car as if it were -40 out this is also located in the MAS now what i have been told is the 02 sensiors dont hold up i bought a new one but by looking at the one that is in there it seems to me to look new to me i even changed out the thermostat thinking that may be the problem because my engine only runs at 160f i know this cuz i have a lazer temp guage and i did it on the thermoustat the upper raddiator hose and the lower all temps were bettween 135 and 160 could this be the result of an o2 sensior or a mass air flow sensior plz help
Old 07-27-2008, 07:57 PM   #4
drftthatshit
Zilvia Member

KA

ok replaced the o2 sensior but my engine does not get hott i have no idea what it could be the only thing i havent tryed is a fan clutch but i dont know if that would have to do with my shitty gas millage
Old 07-27-2008, 08:30 PM   #5
drftthatshit
Zilvia Member

KA no body will tell me

what causes a 90 240sx simgle slammer to run rich and cold and by cold i mean 160f with a autozone thermo
Old 07-27-2008, 08:32 PM   #6
drftthatshit
Zilvia Member

KA no body will tell me

i need to know whay my 90 ka single slammer will not get to opp temp it sux gas and doesnt get hot replaced thermo and o2 sensior nothing same shit diffrent day
Old 07-27-2008, 08:36 PM   #7
240sxScores
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
240sxScores is making a name for him/her self240sxScores is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 240sxScores
youre saying the temp gauge doesnt work right.
240sxScores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 08:47 PM   #8
Flybert
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (7)
Flybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
The only thing that could cause that is if your motor doesn't have a thermostat. Pop open the thermostat housing and take a look.
Flybert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 08:47 PM   #9
slothonaleash
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
slothonaleash has a reputation beyond reputeslothonaleash has a reputation beyond reputeslothonaleash has a reputation beyond reputeslothonaleash has a reputation beyond reputeslothonaleash has a reputation beyond reputeslothonaleash has a reputation beyond reputeslothonaleash has a reputation beyond reputeslothonaleash has a reputation beyond reputeslothonaleash has a reputation beyond reputeslothonaleash has a reputation beyond reputeslothonaleash has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
His ka24e will not heat up to operating temperature.

He has replaced his thermostat and oxygen sensor in an attempt to figure out this pickle, but to no avail.

Same shit different day.

I have no idea what's wrong, I would have guessed that the thermostat wasn't working.
slothonaleash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 09:00 PM   #10
blueshark123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (55)
blueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 55 reviews
coolant temp sensor ????
blueshark123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 09:07 PM   #11
projekt_s13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
projekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to projekt_s13
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshark123 View Post
coolant temp sensor ????
I second that

projekt_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 09:13 PM   #12
nieko
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (14)
nieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
theres 2! there is the coolant temp sensor that sends to the ECU and there is one right next to it that sends it to the Gauge. if ur running rich at all i would gess the fatter square one, or just change both and call it a day
nieko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 10:21 PM   #13
wh0aitznic0
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (20)
wh0aitznic0 will become famous soon enoughwh0aitznic0 will become famous soon enoughwh0aitznic0 will become famous soon enoughwh0aitznic0 will become famous soon enoughwh0aitznic0 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by nieko View Post
just change both and call it a day
Best idea I've seen in this topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hailandkill View Post
wh0aitznic0 -- has or had a shocker sticker on his car at one point, is asian with a gooey white center

<3
Quote:
Originally Posted by !Zar! View Post
Nothing says, 'I'm broke and still trying', like aftermarket steelies.
wh0aitznic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 08:54 AM   #14
MrFairlady
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (31)
MrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Send a message via AIM to MrFairlady
I have a Brand New Coolant temp sensor right here.Never used.

lemme know.thats your problem.Say hello to better MPG also.
From what I hear not somerthing that normally "goes bad" but I was told by a friend to replace it anyway.

lemme know if you want it $30 shipped
Old 07-28-2008, 01:38 PM   #15
Saskacer
Leaky Injector

Saskacer is an unknown quantity at this point
Try not using a cheap thermo?
Saskacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 03:56 PM   #16
Bigsyke
Zilvia FREAK!

Bigsyke is an unknown quantity at this point
well, doesnt autozone have different thermo's? 160 and 185? And running below optimum temp will cause the car to run rich, as so by having your 160* thermo in.

Plus you really are just making the car less efficient cooling wise because the fluid wont be in the radiator long enough to cool off effectivly.

replace with an OEM thermo
Bigsyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 06:15 PM   #17
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsyke View Post
well, doesnt autozone have different thermo's? 160 and 185? And running below optimum temp will cause the car to run rich, as so by having your 160* thermo in.

Plus you really are just making the car less efficient cooling wise because the fluid wont be in the radiator long enough to cool off effectivly.

replace with an OEM thermo
Yeah, the parts store by me has 170* and 180* Thermostats. 180* or 185* is OEM. I would consider swapping to one of those.

Also, Try changing the ECU(two pin) temp sensor.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:33 PM   #18
drftthatshit
Zilvia Member

ok i replaced the temp sensior the one in the intake manifold with an auto zone 185f also the thermostat was replaced to verify on the temp it is 185f i also replaced the fan clutch also from auto zone i dont like going there but the nissan dealer by my house dosnt know dick or have any parts for my 240 after i did all that im still rich and its driving me nuts i seem to be getting no where now there is a hose that i have to address it is the egr dampner would the egr have anything to do with gas millage also i found that my raddiator has a crack in it a very small one but still an issue that is getting replaced this week end
Old 07-29-2008, 04:34 PM   #19
drftthatshit
Zilvia Member

there is also some sensior on my lower radiator hose is that some type of temp sensior also thanks for all the help
Old 07-29-2008, 04:40 PM   #20
drftthatshit
Zilvia Member

also do i time this engine the same i would time an sr hook the timming lite to num 1 wire bring the r's up to 1100 and set it to 15deg advance??????
Old 07-29-2008, 04:44 PM   #21
Addicted2Kouki
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
Addicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
i have horrible gas mileage too... except a different problem.
I'm KA-T.

Is the t25 im using too unefficient, resulting in bad gas mileage?
bov is atmospheric also...
ecu is tuned by eformance.

any suggestions?
maybe check timing?
get an afc for more correction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreansurfer View Post
zenki's are for poors and lames

with the exception of norm who is big ballin
FS:CUSCO,GREDDY,KA-Tparts
Addicted2Kouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 04:44 PM   #22
Bigsyke
Zilvia FREAK!

Bigsyke is an unknown quantity at this point
look, please learn how to type. I had a suggestion but It got lost in the run-on paragraphs.

1st lesson I learned was DONT get this checker/autozone crap for your car. Things like this NEED to be OEM. www.thenismoshop.com Things such as;

Coolant (honda Type II)
Oil filters
PCV valves
Thermostats
Fuel Filters
Engine rebuild items such as timing chains and gaskets
OEM or better brake pads
sensors

For now either find a pigtail AIT sensor and crimp together from a junkyard, or find the resistor you need to simulate ambient/or 90*f

Replace your PCV valve, check for vac leaks, timing, replace thermo for an OEM nissan. Check ignition such as plugs, cap, rotor and wires. Make sure plugs are torqued 17lbs, See if NTK has an o2 sensor avail.
Bigsyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 04:54 PM   #23
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
If that hose is causing a vacuum leak I would say so. Also the EGR being open at the wrong time can affect performance negatively.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:19 PM   #24
drftthatshit
Zilvia Member

ok so i think i fixed my gas millage issue it was a rotted hose that goes from the egr dampner to the egr much better idle and fuel millage i also replaced all my auto zone shit with nissan direct hopfully everything will work out to a bright future of an sr20