Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:37 PM   #1
LovetoSlide
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
LovetoSlide is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to LovetoSlide
TOP speed.

Hey guys. So I was pretty drunk when I was with my friends talking about my new 240. I claimed that the owner before me had taken it to 175 when my buddy who used to drive a g37 told me I was completely bullshitting him and that my car wouldn't go past 130, let alone 140. I told him I'd bet him 5 grand that it was capable of hitting at least 160. Of course he will never cough that up but I owe him around 500 dollars for my business and was thinking if I can achieve it at salt flats and take a picture of the speed through my GPS I can just keep the money I owe him.

So I need your input guys! My basic mods on my SR redtop are the HKS intake, 3 inch exhaust, gutted cat, HKS BOV, rebuilt stock turbo, exedy stage 1 clutch, stock injectors, MINES ECU.

Currently I have a safe boost of around 6 lbs. What do you guys think is the safest boost I can crank it to on my stock injectors? He even said I can upgrade my injectors before taking a run so I was wondering if I should upgrade to 555 but I'd rather not since the bet was my car AS-IS.

I was also going to max out my coils, buy new tires, and add a lip for aero to keep myself from flipping the car but what do you guys think? Anybody ever take their car to a track or salt flats to do a top speed run? I know these cars aren't built for top speed but I know my car is capable.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:59 PM   #2
future
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (42)
future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
You need a lot more mods
future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:11 PM   #3
LovetoSlide
Zilvia Member

I know I'm missing a few things, let me find some paperwork first. What do you think it's capable of at the moment?
Old 11-05-2012, 11:58 PM   #4
cotbu
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I can say I have done about 155mph(252kmh) and it felt like it was computer controlled, but i think the final drive played a major part of that. I remember trying to figure out launch control via the b13 xdf that was flying around and I thought I seen a limiter that would kick in at 155mph. iirc!

If there is no time limit and you are just fighting drag? I know you can do 130mph easily with basic mods.

LoverTechnologies "Half Broken Things!"
cotbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:13 AM   #5
future
Post Whore!

future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
Well yeah he can do 130. Hell my stock single cam stops at 115. And that's cause the computer
Old 11-06-2012, 12:45 AM   #6
cotbu
Post Whore!

cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
I was saying that if he was a better negotiator, all he would have to do is drive and do 130mph and easily. His negotiation skill suck, so now he has to do 160 and I think there's another limiter before you hit 160, maybe he can cost an extra 5mph.

Old 11-06-2012, 01:32 AM   #7
future
Post Whore!

Unplug the 5th gear sensor
Old 11-06-2012, 02:02 AM   #8
cotbu
Post Whore!

unplugging the 5th gear sensor does not work on the sr20, neither does cutting the speed signal wire. The only options that are known to work and work well are Speed meters, like PIVOT's speed meter X/V, romtunes and or standalone ecu's. He has a mines tuned ecu and the speed limit is usually raised or removed on those units.

Old 11-06-2012, 02:09 AM   #9
future
Post Whore!

I can almost promise you won get 160 on 6psi nor with stock fuel supply's.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:30 AM   #10
cotbu
Post Whore!

WTF!!! 20yr olds! We could have had a nice conversation here and I could have aided you and the OP but, Noooooo! in stead you say shit like:
Quote:
Originally Posted by future View Post
I can almost promise you won get 160 on 6psi nor with stock fuel supply's.

Old 11-06-2012, 04:28 AM   #11
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by cotbu View Post
WTF!!! 20yr olds! We could have had a nice conversation here and I could have aided you and the OP but, Noooooo! in stead you say shit like:
He's a straight shooter... However, I do agree. 6 psi just isnt going to cut it. He needs atleast 250-275hp to get to those speeds. A BPU SR may be able to reach it but he needs some aero.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:04 AM   #12
b14 se-rious
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
b14 se-rious is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
You were so confident you could hit 160 betting him 5 grand

Now your on here asking if you can?
b14 se-rious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:01 PM   #13
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Shit, I've hit close to that point on my GT2871R. I was making about 360whp on that and shit was scary when the whole car felt like it was really to take off.

But with that said, I dont think you'd hit 160 without a bigger turbo. I doubt 260whp (after cranking the stock T25) would get you there.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:08 PM   #14
future
Post Whore!

I don't get it? What did I do? Good him it won't happen without some work. What does me being 20 have to do with shit?
Old 11-06-2012, 02:59 PM   #15
ultimateirving
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
ultimateirving is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Crank ur boost up to 11psi and go for it. stock fuel system should be able to handle that and the t25 isnt too efficient past 12-13psi anyways.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:01 PM   #16
EsChassisLove
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (26)
EsChassisLove is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Biggest factor in top speed is gear ratio.

350whp will shoot you there quick, with a Z33 6 speed lol
Old 11-06-2012, 09:01 PM   #17
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Why are you on 6psi? 11-12psi is stock on a redtop.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:14 PM   #18
humilde_s13
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
humilde_s13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
dude do some photo-shopping in your gps going 160mph and tell your friend you did it, be generous tell him to keep his 5k. done deal get drunk again.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:16 PM   #19
future
Post Whore!

^^^winning situation
Old 11-07-2012, 12:51 AM   #20
steve shadows
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
steve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to steve shadows
~170, 500+ whp, 400 wtrq....that's all I can say for certain...3.90 rear end...
Old 11-07-2012, 01:37 AM   #21
LovetoSlide
Zilvia Member

Hahahhaha, thanks for the input guys. No need to argue we're all buds here. I know there's a lot of mods I'm missing since I'm new to the game. Also I thought stock boost on these turbos was only 7psi. He said I could crank the boost if I wanted but I'm just trying to save the turbo. I could boost it to 12 if I felt like that was what was needed to help me hit 160. And what ESCHASSISLOVE said is correct, it's going to be the gear ratios and final gear drive...horsepower doesn't have the biggest factor in this because the bet is not how QUICK I can get to 160...it is IF the car is capable.

Edit: Also I have already hit around 130 according the GPS speedometer with LOTS of room left. I was just playing in 5th gear on the freeway around 3 AM but hesitated since....like I don't want to go to jail lmao.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:34 AM   #22
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Croustibat is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by future View Post
I don't get it? What did I do? Good him it won't happen without some work. What does me being 20 have to do with shit?
Young people tend to be stupid, that is what it has to do with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humilde_s13 View Post
dude do some photo-shopping in your gps going 160mph and tell your friend you did it, be generous tell him to keep his 5k. done deal get drunk again.
^^^^^^^^^^^^
that exactly.

I am using a similar turbo to yours, on a CA18DET though -i use the roller bearing version. The max i run it is 18psi, although remember it is a 1.8L, so less flow. I also use e85 fuel, and -soon- 1000cc injectors (510cc were too small for anything > 15psi).

Anyway if you really want to do it, there are so many mods to do that basically you cant. Not safely.

Which brings us to the point of "being 20 and a bit too self confident".

tell your friend you were drunk and stupid, and admit defeat. Problem solved. That or you will end up damaging your engine (or worse) trying to, and end up being even more stupid while still having to admit defeat.

Now if you want to go the "i dont care if i damage my engine", put some very high octane gas in it, bigger injectors, remap to fit these injectors, crank the boost to 22-25psi, do the standard aero mods (vent the engine bay to the front wings, fit back the undertray, duct tape your radiator opening in the bumper), and do your run. And then change your turbo and headgasket, if you did not throw a rod through the engine block.
Croustibat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:57 AM   #23
Bentleyness
Leaky Injector

Bentleyness is an unknown quantity at this point
u guys got balls! i can do 120mph not in full boost and 20% throttle and thats fast enough for me glad my clutch slips @ 3,500 rpm.

if ur wondering how im going that fast with a slipping clutch im just giving it 20% throttle according to my safc2 and in 5th. the car just keeps gaining speed.

ka-t
550cc
t3/t4
rs E tune
rebuild block/head
Bentleyness is offline   Reply With Quote