Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-01-2010, 10:28 PM   #3031
D.Adams
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
D.Adams is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to D.Adams Send a message via MSN to D.Adams
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffman1278 View Post
Any of you guys have any suggestions for mocking up an exhaust before cutting and welding? I was thinking about using PVC to see where all the bends and layout would be but it seems really restrictive?
Quote:
Originally Posted by drftmark View Post
I would like to hear some advice on this topic as well... I am in the process of making one also.

I was planning on cutting a bunch of 15 degree pie slices and just going from there. Or possibly spending some extra money and getting pre-bent pieces.

Any input from the pros?

I use Tig welding ROD. I do all my bends leaving 2 1/2'' to 3'' around the rod for the actual exhaust pipe size. Then i transfer it to the pipe as i bend it. I also do that for roll cages and pre runner bumpers.

The build
http://zilvia.net/f/builds-builds-on...u-city-az.html

Owner of NVS Fabrications
D.Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2010, 08:44 PM   #3032
atutt
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
atutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto347 View Post
Yeah, atutt has no fucking clue what hes talking about.
I concur. I'm just a crazy bitch! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffman1278 View Post
Any of you guys have any suggestions for mocking up an exhaust before cutting and welding? I was thinking about using PVC to see where all the bends and layout would be but it seems really restrictive?
Quote:
Originally Posted by drftmark View Post
I would like to hear some advice on this topic as well... I am in the process of making one also.

I was planning on cutting a bunch of 15 degree pie slices and just going from there. Or possibly spending some extra money and getting pre-bent pieces.

Any input from the pros?
It's really hard to comment because each exhaust will most likely be different.
The is no "set way" of doing it.
using PVC can work. It may be more costly up front and more time consuming.
But, doing an exhaust in one shot with out any fuck ups tends to be more cost efficient in the end.

You could also try that dryer ducting crap. It's thin and comes in large diameters. So it'll be nice and light to work with. I don't know what it costs though. And you can get that flexy shit for it.
Toilet paper rolls could be used.

I just use a shit ton of clamps. Modify them if need be.
atutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:11 PM   #3033
duffman1278
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
duffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to duffman1278
I think I'm going to try that dryer ducting material, seeing as this will be the first exhaust system I've ever done I'm trying not to make too many mistakes along the way.

duffman1278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:15 PM   #3034
Jonnie Fraz
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (29)
Jonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jonnie Fraz
Well fabbed up some mounts for my buddies car...

Bonus points if you can name the chassis and the motor...lol

Stealth-Custom-Fab.com
Jonnie Fraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:42 PM   #3035
mestizo
Zilvia Junkie

mestizo is a jewel in the roughmestizo is a jewel in the roughmestizo is a jewel in the roughmestizo is a jewel in the roughmestizo is a jewel in the roughmestizo is a jewel in the roughmestizo is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnie Fraz View Post
Bonus points if you can name the chassis and the motor...lol
I can! lol but I guess it would be cheating if I said something. hahaha

92 S13 Coupe Track Car
mestizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:25 PM   #3036
Houseof1817
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
Houseof1817 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Hell, I was wondering if anyone would be able to point me into the right direction..
I'm looking for some replacement rocker panels, and have no idea who is custom fabbing them or what else I could do instead
just in case I am already screwed.
Houseof1817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:02 AM   #3037
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (53)
Mister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
damn Jonnie, those mounts are nice.
Mister.E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:04 PM   #3038
repda916
Zilvia Addict

repda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymore
where did you get that rubber isolator?
repda916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:10 PM   #3039
Finelinetuning
Zilvia Junkie

Finelinetuning is close to perfectionFinelinetuning is close to perfectionFinelinetuning is close to perfectionFinelinetuning is close to perfectionFinelinetuning is close to perfectionFinelinetuning is close to perfectionFinelinetuning is close to perfectionFinelinetuning is close to perfectionFinelinetuning is close to perfectionFinelinetuning is close to perfectionFinelinetuning is close to perfection
Ae86 Beams motor. Hahaha The motor mounts is a dead giveaway. Give me something harder.LOL
Old 08-04-2010, 05:44 PM   #3040
Jonnie Fraz
Premium Member

Jonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf45 View Post
Ae86 Beams motor. Hahaha The motor mounts is a dead giveaway. Give me something harder.LOL
Good job! The motor is a giveaway, but not too common here in the states, and really not common on Zilvia.

Here is another pic...

Down pipe is gonna be fun.

Stealth-Custom-Fab.com
Old 08-04-2010, 05:48 PM   #3041
Jonnie Fraz
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by repda916 View Post
where did you get that rubber isolator?
Brewed them up in my secret lab...lol.

Stock AE86 mounts...I was thinking they would be awesome for S chassis, to lower the motor a bit. Maybe I will give it a try...lol.

Stealth-Custom-Fab.com
Old 08-16-2010, 01:49 AM   #3042
Peter89#2

Peter89#2 is an unknown quantity at this point
read the entire thread. epic.
Peter89#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 03:55 PM   #3043
shiftdrift
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (42)
shiftdrift is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
at work today they had me make a prototype for something, this isn't the finished product, afterwards i put on a lid with hinge's/handle.

shiftdrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 03:10 PM   #3044
xdumbxguyx
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (23)
xdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
spec miata cage ive been working on just need to finish the nascar door bars

Old 08-22-2010, 04:57 PM   #3045
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (163)
Broadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 163 reviews
Well this has nothing to do with welding, like most other fabrication on here, but it is fabrication nonetheless. I do a ton of custom fiberglass fabrication for audio systems, but I won't bore you with that. I will only post relative to the 240 performance world. I also won't post anything on my own car since it's been seen before.

Some how I got into building custom clusters for people. It obviously started with the creation of my own, but I have received a lot interest in building one-off units for customers. So I have been doing some molded HUD steering shrouds like my own, various clusters, molded in turbo timers etc. I never supply any of the actual gauges, electronics etc... just the fab work.

***You can click on each title for a link to the actual build pictures***

Please feel free to ask me any questions. I am always forthcoming with my tips, tricks, materials used etc. I posted the picture link to each build because I feel that pictures tend to describe the process on this type of work better than words. Also, if you want any pics/info about custom fiberglass audio work, just let me know and I can post up a couple pics and a build link to those.

S13 Map Light Molded Turbo Timer

S13 Defi Gauge Cluster

S13 Defi HUD Molded In Steering Shroud

S13 52mm Center Vent Gauges

S13 Glove Box Control Center

S13 Digital Fuel Level In Cluster Shroud

S13 Race Tech. Dash2 Cluster

Follow Along For My Latest Work
My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Broadfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 05:24 PM   #3046
Nezahualcoyotl
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
Nezahualcoyotl is making his/her stupidity well-knownNezahualcoyotl is making his/her stupidity well-knownNezahualcoyotl is making his/her stupidity well-knownNezahualcoyotl is making his/her stupidity well-knownNezahualcoyotl is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Such quality work Broadfield.
Nezahualcoyotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 05:34 PM   #3047
thaivietg714
Leaky Injector

thaivietg714 is an unknown quantity at this point
wow excellent work Broadfield. What kind of paint did you use?

EDIT: nvm i see it in the photos.
thaivietg714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 05:40 PM   #3048
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Broadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezahualcoyotl View Post
Such quality work Broadfield.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaivietg714 View Post
wow excellent work Broadfield. What kind of paint did you use?
Thanks guys!

First of all, I like to use all SEM products for my small project finishing coats. So for the texture, I use SEM Texture Coating 39853. For almost all of my finishing colors, as the texture coat is not a final finish, I like to use SEM Landau Black 15013.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 08-22-2010, 05:41 PM   #3049
shiftdrift
Nissanaholic!

interested in the fuel level light. how much?
Old 08-22-2010, 05:42 PM   #3050
atutt
Zilvia Addict

atutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond repute
Truly impressive Broadfield... Post up more awesomesauce if you got any!!
Old 08-22-2010, 05:49 PM   #3051
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
ka-titties is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
wow thats some really, really cool work.
ka-titties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 05:50 PM   #3052
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftdrift View Post
interested in the fuel level light. how much?
The fuel level is actually really easy if you want to attempt it yourself. But if you just had to have me do it, it would be $75 labor. You would have to send me your shroud and whatever 52mm fuel level gauge you want in there.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 08-22-2010, 05:52 PM   #3053
shiftdrift
Nissanaholic!

ah, i was just interested in the actual gauge. i can do the work.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:54 PM   #3054
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
ah, i was just interested in the actual gauge. i can do the work.
Yeah, you didn't read my post... "I never supply any of the actual gauges, electronics etc... just the fab work."

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 08-22-2010, 05:55 PM   #3055
shiftdrift
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadfield View Post
Yeah, you didn't read my post... "I never supply any of the actual gauges, electronics etc... just the fab work."
haha, i read it. it was more just of a question of where to get it. sorry.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:57 PM   #3056
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
haha, i read it. it was more just of a question of where to get it. sorry.

Lol, I just hit ya back with a PM.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 08-22-2010, 06:06 PM   #3057
atutt
Zilvia Addict

Broadfield. If you wouldn't mind, could you PM me where you got that as well?
I'm really diggin it.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:12 PM   #3058
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by atutt View Post
Broadfield. If you wouldn't mind, could you PM me where you got that as well?
I'm really diggin it.
No need for a PM, otherwise everyone else is just gonna keep PM'n me about the same thing.

It's just a round 52mm digital fuel level gauge. You can get them from Summit, Jegs etc. etc. Or a million places online. I use a Nordskog piece, but the exact one I use is no longer available. I think they may still make it in other colors though. You can also try Cyberdyne, Dakota Digital etc.

That's why I used the smoked plexi on the front, that way you can't tell it's a round gauge behind a square hole. It's blacked out when off, then just the digits shine through when on.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds

Last edited by Broadfield; 08-23-2010 at 07:28 AM..
Old 08-22-2010, 06:14 PM   #3059
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Broadfield, you're a class act. Great projects, great finish-work, and excellent documentation/posts.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:01 PM   #3060
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
I fapped....