Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:26 PM   #1
g00se
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
g00se is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Factory Five Subaru based kit car

Hope this isnt a repost but for those who are semi disappointed with the FT-86 constant price shifting.
What's New

Based on tough Subaru WRX running gear, Factory Five's next car has been in development for almost a year. With a space frame designed and tested on SolidWorks software, this single donor car will sell for $9,900. We will use our 15 years of accumulated design and manufacturing skills to deliver a "world car" that can be COMPLETED for less than $15,000.
  • Single Donor Subaru WRX Running Gear
  • Factory Five Space Frame Chassis, 95" Wheel Base
  • Mid-Engine, Rear Wheel Drive Configuration
  • Target weight - 1,800 lbs.
  • Two Seater Roadster
  • No Paint, Gel Coat Panels
  • Target Kit Price: $9,900
  • Target Vehicle Completion Cost Under $15,000
  • Design Partners: SolidWorks Software, Grassroots
    Motorsports Magazine
Automobile Magazine wrote the following:
"Have you ever wondered what would happen if you stuffed a Subaru WRX motor into something that's mid-engined, rear-wheel-drive, and weighs less than 2,000 lbs.? Because that's the next Factory Five car - a two-seater built around inexpensive and indestructible Subaru running gear. The styling isn't finalized, but I'm imaging something that looks like Lancia Stratos. And if you don't break into a creepy serial-killer smile every time you imagine an affordable, WRX-based Stratos, then you are some kind of weirdo. The car's new wheelbase is locked in at 95" which is a little longer then an Exige."

Ezra Dyer, Automobile Magazine

The concept itself looks like the attack that was based on the accord but that's not a bad thing.. along with an ej257+1800 lbs sounds pretty awesome to me.

<--may just get rid of the LS1 swap in progress..
g00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2011, 01:32 PM   #2
HyperTek
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
HyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
woah nice.. I been liking factoryfive's kit cars, I want the MK4 myself * i think its a pretty good Cobra replica that you can build up that has options like IRS etc* .. and the latest GTM aint too bad either, i can see it having potential.

I want their MK4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ckgfkPU8Ss
Old 03-09-2011, 04:02 PM   #3
h2v7
Nissanaholic!

h2v7 is an unknown quantity at this point
i dont understand can i get a pix
h2v7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:36 PM   #4
soreballz
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (22)
soreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Send a message via AIM to soreballz
^ The design isn't finalized yet.
Last time I checked this is a Zilvia not a fucking group session to deal with self-esteem issues where everyone is a winner and cares about you, your individuality and lack of taste.
soreballz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:07 PM   #5
TheWolf
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
TheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Kit cars strike again.

Essentially they take a subie motor and tranny. block off the outputshaft to the rear diff. Drive subie on the FWD diff... install in back of kit car. Someone made a 962 porsche clone that used this setup for a racing series that never happened. diaso or something like that made it.

The issue is LSD's for the diff's.. and I don't think anyone has ever described a WRX transmission as "indestructable". I've heard the term.. "as fragile as glass".

I think it's a great idea, and factory 5 has a great rep, I don't think the average person here knows how much of a PITA they are to title and insure. On a personal note, I think something like this and make a factory "spec" drift class where all the spares are based around one "car". ie. Buy this chassis and a wrecked wrx and then compete in a spec series instead of retarded 9000hp 75 degree angle matches based around super expensive and hard to fix modern car chassis.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:42 PM   #6
S14DB
AFC #1

S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
I saw this a month ago, I guess you got the new email today? I wouldn't abandon any plans you have now. Unless they are way down the road.

Hopefully it will go better then his brothers Jetta sawzall fest.

I'm looking forward to the development as I would like to build something smaller than the GTM. The low CG of a boxer engine is a nice bonus.

http://www.factoryfive.com/whatsnew/.../infotext.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolf View Post
Kit cars strike again.

Essentially they take a subie motor and tranny. block off the outputshaft to the rear diff. Drive subie on the FWD diff... install in back of kit car. Someone made a 962 porsche clone that used this setup for a racing series that never happened. diaso or something like that made it.

The issue is LSD's for the diff's.. and I don't think anyone has ever described a WRX transmission as "indestructable". I've heard the term.. "as fragile as glass".

I think it's a great idea, and factory 5 has a great rep, I don't think the average person here knows how much of a PITA they are to title and insure. On a personal note, I think something like this and make a factory "spec" drift class where all the spares are based around one "car". ie. Buy this chassis and a wrecked wrx and then compete in a spec series instead of retarded 9000hp 75 degree angle matches based around super expensive and hard to fix modern car chassis.
This is still very early in the design phase. They are now taking design idea ala Local Motors. I am sure they will address these issues when they get to that point in the development.

They had problems with the G50 Transmission in the GTM kit and now Mendeola makes a upgraded unit.

Titling isn't that hard. DMV Registration for Custom Built Cars - DMV Guide I'm sure Insurance is only a pain because you usually have to go trough a specialty insurance company. Little more work but not a PITA.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:55 PM   #7
Infamax
Zilvia Member

Infamax will become famous soon enoughInfamax will become famous soon enoughInfamax will become famous soon enoughInfamax will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperTek View Post
woah nice.. I been liking factoryfive's kit cars, I want the MK4 myself * i think its a pretty good Cobra replica that you can build up that has options like IRS etc* .. and the latest GTM aint too bad either, i can see it having potential.

I want their MK4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ckgfkPU8Ss
There's a body shop, in the town I live in, that's always working on Cobra replica kit cars. It's always nice passing by and looking at the cars.
Infamax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:43 AM   #8
TheWolf
Zilvia FREAK!

TheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB View Post

They had problems with the G50 Transmission in the GTM kit and now Mendeola makes a upgraded unit.
Anyone who's been around cars for a while, knows you can't take a used 80's porsche transmission, flip it upside down, reroute some oil and drill a new breather and call it ok to stick behind a ls1. No one wants to put a beefy porsche turbo gearbox with lsd behind one because those cost real money.

Reminds me of people using lt1's and audi 5000 transaxles.. sure it will work... for a while..

Some people think honda/dsm people are the cheapest, or nissan s13 guys are the cheapest.. no kit car guys are the cheapest by far. Give them a parts list with 20k in stuff on it and they'll pull the cheapest crappiest parts and bodge something together with 3k in real out. I'd say 20% of kit cars get built.. and only 10% would make it farther than 50 miles.. only 5% you'd want to ride in for more than 50 miles..

Thanks for the link.. been kicking around building a toyota 20v black top powered super 7...
Old 03-10-2011, 08:32 AM   #9
WanganRunner
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
WanganRunner has a reputation beyond reputeWanganRunner has a reputation beyond reputeWanganRunner has a reputation beyond reputeWanganRunner has a reputation beyond reputeWanganRunner has a reputation beyond reputeWanganRunner has a reputation beyond reputeWanganRunner has a reputation beyond reputeWanganRunner has a reputation beyond reputeWanganRunner has a reputation beyond reputeWanganRunner has a reputation beyond reputeWanganRunner has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
This is pretty cool and I'm glad they're doing it.

"Indestructible" my ass though. That 5MT, even in it's newest incarnations, is still made of glass.

WanganRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:24 AM   #10
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
We've had two GTM's come through the shop for PA's Enhanced Inspection process...certianly neet looking...but it's really tough to get over the 'kit' feel of them. They sure hauled ass, both were LS6 powered/Porsche transaxle setups.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:26 AM   #11
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanganRunner View Post

"Indestructible" my ass though. That 5MT, even in it's newest incarnations, is still made of glass.
'Rally Inspired, not Rally Tough'

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:57 AM   #12
blueshark123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (55)
blueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 55 reviews
Damn i like this idea alot. Especially its made by someone like them. Thats my future goal to build my favorite car/shelby
blueshark123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:27 AM   #13
g00se
Zilvia Junkie

Yeah, for a while I couldn't pass a 5.0 mustang without thinking about building a cobra rep =/..
Old 03-10-2011, 10:30 AM   #14
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (12)
0100 has a reputation beyond repute0100 has a reputation beyond repute0100 has a reputation beyond repute0100 has a reputation beyond repute0100 has a reputation beyond repute0100 has a reputation beyond repute0100 has a reputation beyond repute0100 has a reputation beyond repute0100 has a reputation beyond repute0100 has a reputation beyond repute0100 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB View Post
I saw this a month ago, I guess you got the new email today? I wouldn't abandon any plans you have now. Unless they are way down the road.

I'm looking forward to the development as I would like to build something smaller than the GTM. The low CG of a boxer engine is a nice bonus.
Yeah I saw this in the Automobile mag back in January, and I am very very excited about this. I just hope they don't fuck up the body styling. I really wanted to like the GTM, and it's specs are great for the price, but the body looks like a kit car (fiberglass body hanging on a tube frame chassis). They have some great partners on this project and over 15 years of experience in this, so I really hope they can make this into a sharp looking beast of a track day car.

The concept drawing is amazing.

They have stated they like the 918 style.

If they come out with a sexy body this thing is going to be massive!

They have a body design competition going on right now until June so if you guys have some skill, you should submit some stuff. Unfortunately I don't see this ready, until this time next year.

They are only 60min from me too!

TougeHero.com l SilviaV8forums.com
0100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:23 AM   #15
HyperTek
Post Whore!

HyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfection
any links to that contest besides being just saying it will be done by grassroots? hope they have online submissions and not requiring to buy the mag. nevermind
http://www.factoryfive.com/whatsnew/...esigncomp.html
Old 03-10-2011, 12:32 PM   #16
Zilvia FREAK!

0100 has a reputation beyond repute0100 has a reputation beyond repute0100 has a reputation beyond repute0100 has a reputation beyond repute0100 has a reputation beyond repute0100 has a reputation beyond repute0100 has a reputation beyond repute0100 has a reputation beyond repute0100 has a reputation beyond repute0100 has a reputation beyond repute0100 has a reputation beyond repute
Some entries:

Old 03-10-2011, 08:33 PM   #17
S14DB
AFC #1

S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Quote:
Some people think honda/dsm people are the cheapest, or nissan s13 guys are the cheapest.. no kit car guys are the cheapest by far. Give them a parts list with 20k in stuff on it and they'll pull the cheapest crappiest parts and bodge something together with 3k in real out. I'd say 20% of kit cars get built.. and only 10% would make it farther than 50 miles.. only 5% you'd want to ride in for more than 50 miles...
Yeah, I have been shopping kits for a while. So, many people look at me like I am nuts when I want to buy new (OEM replacement) parts instead of pulling them off a 5-20yr old donor car. Knowing the average owner the parts are probably shot off the donor.
Quote:
Thanks for the link.. been kicking around building a toyota 20v black top powered super 7...
Great thing about FL is if you can't title it as a kit car, You can title it as a assembly of parts. As long as the Kit comes with a Origin of Manufacture and a bill of sale from the kit company it shouldn't be any problems registering it as a Kit Car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanganRunner View Post

Nothing a some parts from PPG can't fix.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:02 PM   #18
HAWAII
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (24)
HAWAII is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
i wish it is easy to register a kit car in CA =( .
HAWAII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 12:21 PM   #19
g00se
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Specially Constructed Vehicles- Emission Control
What is the Specially Constructed Vehicle Emission Control Program?
Existing law requires most 1976 and newer model year vehicles to pass an emissions control inspection (smog check) prior to original registration, transfer of ownership, and every second annual renewal. Since Specially Constructed Vehicles (SPCNS) are homemade and do not have a manufacturer-assigned model year, they must be taken to a Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) Referee Station for the original inspection. Upon completion of the inspection, the referee will affix a tamper-resistant label to the vehicle and issue a certificate that establishes the model-year for future inspection purposes.
Per California Vehicle Code §4750.1, the first 500 program applicants in each calendar year may choose whether the inspection is based on the model-year of the engine used in the vehicle or the vehicle model-year. If the engine or the vehicle does not sufficiently resemble one previously manufactured, the referee will assign 1960 as the model-year.
After the first 500 vehicles have been registered in any calendar year, all others will be assigned the same model-year as the calendar year in which the application is submitted.
Previously registered vehicles may be included as one of the first 500 applicants in a calendar year and apply for a different model-year determination.
What is an SPCNS Certificate of Sequence? An SPCNS Certificate of Sequence identifies a vehicle as one for which the owner may choose emission control inspection based on the model-year of the engine used in the vehicle or the vehicle model-year. The certificate is issued by DMV Headquarters and will be mailed 7-10 working days after the application is accepted by your local DMV. The certificate must be presented to the BAR Referee Station at the time of inspection.
Per statute, only 500 certificates can be issued in a calendar year. Once the yearly allotment has been issued, applicants must wait until the following year to apply for a certificate.
SPCNS Certificates of Sequence cannot be transferred to a different vehicle or reissued in someone else's name. The seller of a vehicle must provide the buyer with the SPCNS Certificate of Sequence along with the bill of sale and any additional registration documents. In addition, fees deposited in one year cannot be held over for the next year's allocation of certificates.
Note: Due to the limited number of SPCNS Certificates of Sequence available, you may wish to submit your application for registration in person at a local DMV office.
From Specially Constructed Vehicles Emission Control getting a sb100 is not that bad, but standing in front of the DMV at 5:00 am to get one right after New Years kind of blows..

its really easy for cobra reps, the smog reqs subaru (818) kit will probably follow the wrx so just get a catted DP and you should be good
Old 03-15-2011, 12:48 PM   #20
onehundredoctane
Post Whore!

onehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfection
I know that with their GTM kit car, a lot of the Corvette stuff bolts right on. Which would be nice if they do the same with the Subaru based car. Just swapping the drivetrain, suspension, brakes, wheels and tires would be a lot easier than sourcing all the stuff in pieces, that crap adds up quick.
onehundredoctane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:36 PM   #21
S14DB
AFC #1

What's New
Old 04-04-2011, 07:54 PM   #22
Schassis707
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (18)
Schassis707 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
That porsche looks like it has a ghia front for a second
Schassis707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:17 PM   #23
exitspeed
aWingThing.com

exitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfection
Those pics make me realize how much i suck at car renderings.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:53 PM   #24
tac 1
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
tac 1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I was just watching about F5 on speed channel last week. Wished they would make something jdm based cars, then bam! I'm excited!
tac 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:49 AM   #25
Zilvia FREAK!

Was waiting for this thread to get bumped.

I asked Xabier (week 2 winner) to do his car in white with black wheels, and lower it, as his first colored drawing was sitting too 4x4 for my liking.

Shit is perfect. I also think it's the most realistic for FF to build within it's price point for this car. Some of the concept drawing are awesome but would be far too expensive to produce.

^Loving the old school feel this car has.

Some other sketches.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:02 AM   #26
Gnnr
Post Whore!

Gnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond repute
I don't understand how some of the designers confused Porsche 918 for Lamborghini. That red one above looks like a Noble.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:20 AM   #27
Zakk

Zakk is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnnr View Post
I don't understand how some of the designers confused Porsche 918 for Lamborghini. That red one above looks like a Noble.
No reason to turn down a $15k Lamborghini either though :P
Zakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:18 PM   #28
HyperTek
Post Whore!

I think detachable bumpers would be cool so F5 could always release different aero packages, allow potential minor updates, or even open customers up to fiberglassing their own creations
Old 04-05-2011, 03:16 PM   #29
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnnr View Post
Sorry should have been more clear. They stated they liked the 918 style, but the designers are free to come up with whatever concept they like, for this contest. The only parameters they have is chassis dimensions like WB, etc. Even that they stated they may change if an unbelievable design comes up, which causes some changes to the chassis.

Old 04-05-2011, 04:38 PM   #30
WanganRunner
Nissanaholic!

WanganRunner has a reputation beyond reputeWanganRunner has a reputation beyond reputeWanganRunner has a reputation beyond reputeWanganRunner has a reputation beyond reputeWanganRunner has a reputation beyond reputeWanganRunner has a reputation beyond reputeWanganRunner has a reputation beyond reputeWanganRunner has a reputation beyond reputeWanganRunner has a reputation beyond reputeWanganRunner has a reputation beyond reputeWanganRunner has a reputation beyond repute
I think I'd prefer this as an open-wheel car, but I like the MR/roadster layout.

WanganRunner is offline   Reply With Quote