Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 10-22-2008, 01:23 PM   #1
devonkyle77
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
devonkyle77 is close to perfectiondevonkyle77 is close to perfectiondevonkyle77 is close to perfectiondevonkyle77 is close to perfectiondevonkyle77 is close to perfectiondevonkyle77 is close to perfectiondevonkyle77 is close to perfectiondevonkyle77 is close to perfectiondevonkyle77 is close to perfectiondevonkyle77 is close to perfectiondevonkyle77 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to devonkyle77
SR car cranks, wont start

ok ok so i have an s14 with an s14 sr.
trying to get my initial start up here....
the car cranks but will not start.
i cannot hear the walbro fuel pump, but when i take the key out of the ignition i can hear pressure releasing from the fuel tank...so that has me confused.
all the grounds look good.
it is not getting spark.
fuses are good.

i am so confused, lost, i suck at cars, and i am extremely fed up. can someone please help so i dont have to sell this thing
Old 10-22-2008, 02:47 PM   #2
slamed_s13
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (4)
slamed_s13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Check your fuel pump first for any failures, then check your MAF and ECU for connectivity. I've had a similar problem and I had a lifted track in the ECU. Just let me know what happens.
slamed_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 05:49 PM   #3
devonkyle77
Post Whore!

devonkyle77 is close to perfectiondevonkyle77 is close to perfectiondevonkyle77 is close to perfectiondevonkyle77 is close to perfectiondevonkyle77 is close to perfectiondevonkyle77 is close to perfectiondevonkyle77 is close to perfectiondevonkyle77 is close to perfectiondevonkyle77 is close to perfectiondevonkyle77 is close to perfectiondevonkyle77 is close to perfection
a lifted track in the ecu?
how do i test the ecu to see if its bad?
apparently i am not getting fuel or spark, so i was told the ecu might be bad
Old 10-22-2008, 06:47 PM   #4
slamed_s13
Leaky Injector

You're going to have to disconnect the ECU from the wiring harness and physically open up the ECU. I think there is like 4 philip screws to unscrew. Here is the pic of it.

The spot that's in the red rectangle is the lifted track. That was my problem. Just check it out anyways.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:27 PM   #5
devonkyle77
Post Whore!

how can u tell if a lifted track is bad?
Old 10-22-2008, 08:49 PM   #6
slamed_s13
Leaky Injector

well a lifted track is bad period. The pic that I posted has a lifted track on pin36 which is no good. if it looks like that then it's bad.
Old 10-23-2008, 03:45 AM   #7
MyLevinGTZ
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
MyLevinGTZ has a spectacular aura aboutMyLevinGTZ has a spectacular aura aboutMyLevinGTZ has a spectacular aura aboutMyLevinGTZ has a spectacular aura aboutMyLevinGTZ has a spectacular aura aboutMyLevinGTZ has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
hey man, i can't come help until next week at the earliest.

buuut, did you check to see if you are getting power to the two relays by the ECU? if they are getting power, are they sending power out?

check for voltage at fuel pump, check for voltage at the ignitor, then at the coil packs if you do.

did you install a new fuel pump or was it in the car before you did the swap?

check those things first. i'll do my best to help you, but i can't get up there any time soon. since MA is down i can just keep checking here. /subscribed

who did the wiring and if you did it, where did you get the info?

Last edited by MyLevinGTZ; 10-23-2008 at 03:46 AM.. Reason: moar question
MyLevinGTZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 07:57 AM   #8
devonkyle77
Post Whore!

fuel pump was replaced about a year before the car was taken off the rd, walbro 255.
phase2 did the wiring.
Old 10-23-2008, 03:38 PM   #9
devonkyle77
Post Whore!

the relays at the ecu would have to be getting power, or i wouldnt have anything lighting up on the cluster, right?
Old 10-23-2008, 05:05 PM   #10
devonkyle77
Post Whore!

when i was messing around with the ecu, i noticed a few things. in this first picture it looks like a relay is missing. or perhaps i have it plugged into the wrong place, because the empty spot looks just like the occupied spot. how do i know?

and this here, i found this plug just hanging out under my passenger side carpet. it looks like the harness goes to the back of the car running parallel to the door sill. it was not plugged in...i am concerned.
Old 10-23-2008, 05:09 PM   #11
renegade_ewok
Zilvia Junkie

renegade_ewok is a splendid one to beholdrenegade_ewok is a splendid one to beholdrenegade_ewok is a splendid one to beholdrenegade_ewok is a splendid one to beholdrenegade_ewok is a splendid one to beholdrenegade_ewok is a splendid one to beholdrenegade_ewok is a splendid one to beholdrenegade_ewok is a splendid one to beholdrenegade_ewok is a splendid one to beholdrenegade_ewok is a splendid one to beholdrenegade_ewok is a splendid one to behold
Your relay might be bad - hardwire it if you can. Find the fuel pump relay, take it out, run a wire from the top to the bottom hole and see if it changes things.
renegade_ewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 05:15 PM   #12
devonkyle77
Post Whore!

which relay is for fuel pump though?
Old 10-23-2008, 05:18 PM   #13
renegade_ewok
Zilvia Junkie

renegade_ewok is a splendid one to beholdrenegade_ewok is a splendid one to beholdrenegade_ewok is a splendid one to beholdrenegade_ewok is a splendid one to beholdrenegade_ewok is a splendid one to beholdrenegade_ewok is a splendid one to beholdrenegade_ewok is a splendid one to beholdrenegade_ewok is a splendid one to beholdrenegade_ewok is a splendid one to beholdrenegade_ewok is a splendid one to beholdrenegade_ewok is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by devonkyle77 View Post
which relay is for fuel pump though?
One of those two blue ones you posted, can't tell from the picture.
Old 10-23-2008, 05:19 PM   #14
devonkyle77
Post Whore!

are there numbers on it to identify it from the other, or are they identical and just have to guess?
Old 10-23-2008, 05:29 PM   #15
renegade_ewok
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
are there numbers on it to identify it from the other, or are they identical and just have to guess?
Erm, let me check, I have the busted relay flopping around somewhere in my car, I'll see if I can find it...
Old 10-23-2008, 05:44 PM   #16
mxsx25
Zilvia Junkie

mxsx25 is making his/her stupidity well-knownmxsx25 is making his/her stupidity well-knownmxsx25 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Send a message via AIM to mxsx25
yeah had the same problem w. mine...replaced the cas...barely started, then replaced the igniter and she purred like a kitten... but if your fuel pump isn't priming upon turning the key over than like im sure someone already told you its an ecu issue ie: bad ecu, no power to ecu, etc... if at all possible like i did, try a friends matching ecu to see if thats the problem... then go from there i guess...wiring is a nightmare haha good luck though
Old 10-23-2008, 07:03 PM   #17
MyLevinGTZ
Leaky Injector

MyLevinGTZ has a spectacular aura aboutMyLevinGTZ has a spectacular aura aboutMyLevinGTZ has a spectacular aura aboutMyLevinGTZ has a spectacular aura aboutMyLevinGTZ has a spectacular aura aboutMyLevinGTZ has a spectacular aura about
the relays are the same. just test for voltage at the fuel pump with the ignition turned to run.

the relays have to be plugged into the engine harness, doesn't really matter at this point if the body harness relays are plugged in. that one that has no plug in it is probably some stock plug.

get your multimeter out and go do some testing. get fuel, get spark. that is what those two relays do.

go test some stuff and get back. the wiring on S14 to S14 is retarded easy.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:08 PM   #18
devonkyle77
Post Whore!

you can use a multimeter to test a relay?
Old 10-23-2008, 09:17 PM   #19
renegade_ewok
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
you can use a multimeter to test a relay?
If the relay is shot, the wire will be dead. I couldn't find the number of the fuel pump fuse.

Do you have a fuel pressure gauge? Way I knew mine went was that when I tried to crank it the fuel pressure dropped fast. Changed the plugs (fouled), wired the relay, all was well.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:03 PM   #20
devonkyle77
Post Whore!

well in searching, i cant figure out what settings on the multimeter to use, or what numbers to look for on the multimeter when taking a reading.
Old 10-31-2008, 03:16 PM   #21
devonkyle77
Post Whore!

i am getting power to the relays, to the ignitor, and to the coilpack..i am going to open up the ecu tonight
Old 10-31-2008, 03:37 PM   #22
devonkyle77
Post Whore!

should it mean anything to me that the ecu smells like a burned match?
Old 10-31-2008, 03:57 PM   #23
Howard92884
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
Howard92884 has a reputation beyond reputeHoward92884 has a reputation beyond reputeHoward92884 has a reputation beyond reputeHoward92884 has a reputation beyond reputeHoward92884 has a reputation beyond reputeHoward92884 has a reputation beyond reputeHoward92884 has a reputation beyond reputeHoward92884 has a reputation beyond reputeHoward92884 has a reputation beyond reputeHoward92884 has a reputation beyond reputeHoward92884 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to Howard92884
Quote:
should it mean anything to me that the ecu smells like a burned match?
Yes, could be shorted out.
Howard92884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 05:27 PM   #24
devonkyle77
Post Whore!

hmm. would i be able to check it visually to confirm its "shorted out"
Old 10-31-2008, 08:38 PM   #25
fcdrifter20
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (44)
fcdrifter20 is a splendid one to beholdfcdrifter20 is a splendid one to beholdfcdrifter20 is a splendid one to beholdfcdrifter20 is a splendid one to beholdfcdrifter20 is a splendid one to beholdfcdrifter20 is a splendid one to beholdfcdrifter20 is a splendid one to beholdfcdrifter20 is a splendid one to beholdfcdrifter20 is a splendid one to beholdfcdrifter20 is a splendid one to beholdfcdrifter20 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 44 reviews
if it smells like a burnt match,more likely than not it shorted out. try borowing a good working ecu just to see wut happens. then go from there
fcdrifter20 is offline   Reply With Quote