Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 02-23-2016, 04:18 PM   #1
spotjumper

Trader Rating: (0)
spotjumper is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Are W57's a viable option for a 1JZ?

I'm looking at getting all the pieces together for a 1JZGTE Vvti swap and I'm having trouble finding a transmission at a reasonable price.

Can I use a W55 or W57 trans in it's place? How would you even identify a W series transmission as a W58 or not? Could people possibly be using these other transmissions and they don't even know it?
spotjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2016, 05:47 PM   #2
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
KAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
They are weak
Old 02-23-2016, 07:00 PM   #3
ATLspeed
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (14)
ATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Don't bother, you will popping them like tic tacs.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:30 PM   #4
spotjumper

any suggestions then? I can't justify paying 1500 for a R154 that if/when it blows will run me 2000 for a replacement.

Then the CD009 is just a huge pain of jumbling parts together to get it to work that I'm not really interested in going down that route.

Why do you say the W55 and W57 are so weak? From what I read they're really similar to the W58 and I've seen people run upper 300 whp to 400 whp on them for several seasons. I'm just going to keep the power level stock until I can afford a stronger setup.

But that goes back to my other question, how do you ID a 55 or 57 from a 58? It seems they have the same case to bell housing bolt pattern, and are physically very similar. The only way I've read is to crack it open and count gear teeth.
Old 02-24-2016, 01:01 AM   #5
rawgarage
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (75)
rawgarage is making a name for him/her selfrawgarage is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 75 reviews
Use the saturn sky tranny
rawgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:55 PM   #6
reallygood101
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (27)
reallygood101 will become famous soon enoughreallygood101 will become famous soon enoughreallygood101 will become famous soon enoughreallygood101 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
I'm using a w55 trans on my 1.5jz rx7 seems to b fine way cheaper and easy to get your hands on than the r154 and less of a pita than doing a frankenstein trans swap the trans should hold up fine 300-350hp but if you can get your hands on w58 that would b a lil better some say there internals are alot stronger and can handle abuse better
reallygood101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 10:56 PM   #7
zurud
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
zurud is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
You need the jz bellhousing too
zurud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 11:14 PM   #8
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAWGarage View Post
Use the saturn sky tranny
This.

1j/2j people have since moved on from the R154, and gone to it's fresher brother, the AR-5. They both are made by Aisin.
Old 02-25-2016, 11:24 AM   #9
spotjumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Zar! View Post
This.

1j/2j people have since moved on from the R154, and gone to it's fresher brother, the AR-5. They both are made by Aisin.
How available are Saturn Sky trannies? I did a little reading and if this is the tranny I think it is, it's basically an R154, right?

Then there was something with the input shaft being a tad longer or something or maybe that was on a different trans. Should a r154 JZ bellhousing bolt up to it and be good to go?