Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 03-24-2018, 09:07 PM   #1
smoked240
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
smoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via MSN to smoked240
Aem Tuning Talk

I've owned my aem for awhile now and notice some odd things with it. I'm also no tuner or expert.

I had it professionally tuned about 4 years ago. Changed some things so I need to change my map some by fuel and timing. Not too difficult if I can find someone to drive my car heh. It was Boost-comp tuned on E85 stock turbo at 10psi for WOT but since the Dyno I have changed a few things. (See below)

Not a lot of threads directing towards tuning, or maybe that I know of! I've only dealt with aem and from what I read they're a bitch but I guess I only know aem and like it.

Looking at my throttle % it sits at some low number at idle like 2%( will check again tomorrow) once I move the throttle any it goes straight to 100%. The engine revs correctly with how much you open the throttle so no issuse there. Something I've noticed while running with aemtuner open. I did switch to a q45 tb and my tuner thinks it could be from that.

I have talked with my tuner exchanging dozens of emails and he's not quite sure. I would bring it to him but that's a 4 hour drive one way I don't think I'm ready for yet, the engine is freshly rebuilt and needs miles on it.

My timing will show like 32 dregrees at idle and it's red on the cell in aemtuner. Runs fine from what I've drove(50miles on engine)I might have lifter tick I have to adress but that's in the near future.

Really just looking for insights and to bring info up about Aem engine management systems because it's scarce.

Engine build
Rb25det s2 with rb26 internals.
ID1000cc
Precision 6266
Tial wastegate
Arp studs and rod studs
Crank snout
Map with AIT
Stock Rb25 head with a freshin up.

Party on Wayne

Last edited by smoked240; 03-24-2018 at 09:40 PM..
smoked240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2018, 09:18 PM   #2
nisileighty
Zilvia FREAK!

nisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of light
I have a very similar build, minor differences. Made 430 hp and 330 tq. I have a very similar noise (lifter?) coming from the left side valve cover/VCT solenoid. Shop I was tuned at (PSI in Portland) diagnosed it as a VCT sensor going bad, which may be what you’re experiencing. Try unplugging it and see if it goes away.
nisileighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 09:32 PM   #3
smoked240
Zilvia FREAK!

smoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by nisileighty View Post
I have a very similar build, minor differences. Made 430 hp and 330 tq. I have a very similar noise (lifter?) coming from the left side valve cover/VCT solenoid. Shop I was tuned at (PSI in Portland) diagnosed it as a VCT sensor going bad, which may be what you’re experiencing. Try unplugging it and see if it goes away.
It's coming from the VCT side and gets louder when I rev it.
I will try this tomorrow thanks for that!

I made 270whp/230tq with the stock turbo and 1000 injectors at like 45% duty if I remember correctly. I added the Rb26 internals and 6266. Just running the wastegate set to around 10psi, I think it's over 10 because I've hit barely over 1bar.
I've really only seated my rings so far and went into it just past half throttle.
Old 03-25-2018, 05:30 PM   #4
smoked240
Zilvia FREAK!

Ran it to operating temp today and all seems fine besides the tick. I unplugged the VCT sensor and nothing changed. I'm leaning towards a collapsed lifter since I did remove them all and cleaned them.
I did pre soak them with oil so I'll remove my cams and check that out.